Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:56 PM   #61
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchthedamnball View Post
RIP Smoky Burgess, Garry Maddox, Al Kaline, Lou Boudreau, Martin Dihigo, and probably others I'm missing

Not sure the idea is good but none of them would make my team.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:08 AM   #62
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchthedamnball View Post
RIP Smoky Burgess, Garry Maddox, Al Kaline, Lou Boudreau, Martin Dihigo, and probably others I'm missing
My understanding is that they would only be ineligible if they were late season additions (ie on roster for less than 27 games). If they were on the roster all year, they're eligible.
The_Savage_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:28 AM   #63
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Maybe if a team wins 105+ games (or some number) they're automatically promoted.

This kind of shines a light on the fact there will always be (and should be) ways to get around a rule. Then again if a team is racking up PP and they need to downgrade so that they win less than XXX number of games it would keep them from continuing with their PP players in some cases.

I guess it would be the same system as now plus the automatic promotion with a certain amount of wins...Or even PP earned in one season maybe? ...to be direct about the problem.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 12-03-2019 at 08:39 AM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:39 AM   #64
Catchthedamnball
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Not sure the idea is good but none of them would make my team.
Your loss. But people use those cards in various roles in PL with success

Catchthedamnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 AM   #65
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgans Magic View Post
hmmm. Well I'll admit I put my PP into my team, not into collections, and I have never bought a DP. Indeed, there have only been a couple times I have even had 20K PP.

So clearly, not completing collections and spending PP on the AH to build a team was a poor decision from a pure PP standpoint, which, I'll be honest, wasn't real clear when I started.
Well, there's your problem. You've never had enough points to make the upgrades you need. This game does not reward incrementalism. It is far more efficient to save up for that major purchase.

However, this is where missions become interesting. They allow an incremental approach to still yield a major splashy upgrade. We, as potential collectors, have to make sure that the component cards and the end mission reward all truly work with our team.

Oh, and then we have to, you know, actually find the cards at decent prices

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:39 AM   #66
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Savage_1 View Post
My understanding is that they would only be ineligible if they were late season additions (ie on roster for less than 27 games). If they were on the roster all year, they're eligible.
Yes. This only tries to deal with late-season and playoff tanking and is not necessarily a final solution. The card, f.e. Dihigo, can be added at any time during the season, and if it is added early enough will be playoff-eligible.

I think rule 4 actually needs the most tweaking.

Of course this adds a bit of beaureau- ... beurau- ... crazy administration to the game. But I am convinced it would be a *good* solution if implemented *and* explained well.

Foremost though, it would prevent being unexpectedly hit with a live ratings change that makes a roster ineligible on Monday morning and you can't do anything about it because you're at work or whereever.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #67
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
So you can surely get to Perfect by just making smart purchases and building your team well, but it takes a bit more than that to build something that can contend for PL titles, and for that you absolutely need collections.
But you're essentially making the case for tankers.

Collections = lost income = lost time, PP spent on 'useless' players required simply to fulfill a collection requirement. Anyone played Scott McGregor in a lineup lately?

So the only way to build a viable team (actually many ways, but they all require the same currency) is lots and lots of time, check. Agreed.

But we've circled back around to 'why is tanking wrong.' All they're doing is exchanging massive time equity for earning PP efficiently.

Last edited by Lemandria; 12-03-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #68
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
But you're essentially making the case for tankers.

Collections = lost income = lost time, PP spent on 'useless' players required simply to fulfill a collection requirement. Anyone played Scott McGregor in a lineup lately?

So the only way to build a viable team (actually many ways, but they all require the same currency) is lots and lots of time, check. Agreed.

But we've circled back around to 'why is tanking wrong.' All they're doing is exchanging massive time equity for earning PP efficiently.
I think you're almost certainly overestimating the actual time investment required to complete collections at a decent rate. Certainly if you check more frequently it speeds up, but lots of good collections can be turned around almost immediately, especially in today's market. People just don't think to do it, or don't have the necessary PP to do it. I think if I checked up on collections once or twice a day, rather than the several times a day I do now, I probably would be doing them slower but it would still be pretty dang effective and would still be the best PP generation strategy by a mile.

Also, sure there are a lot of players you buy in collections that you'll never use, but you don't need to care about those. A proper strategy is to do collections where locked players actually end up being usable. How about gold Ichiro, 98 Yaz, 94 Cy Young, 96 Hoffman, 89 Eckersley, 89 Rollie (or alternatively diamond Rollie), 96 Sheets, 93 Schoendienst, 87 Boggs, 89 Cronin, 80 Piersall or 87 Carew? Any of those sound usable to you?

That said, the main statement about "use collections" I'm trying to communicate is that a player can't rely solely on achievement PP to propel them through to a Perfect title. They can certainly get to Perfect by using that achievement PP only like Carraway did, but once you get there, if you don't have another strategy for how you're using your PP aside from "buy an upgrade when it becomes available", then you just will never be competitive. And you shouldn't be able to, in any case; there are hundreds, maybe thousands of others just like you who did the same exact thing. Why should your meager amount of PP be worth more than theirs?

I also am not advocating tanking; tanking is clearly wrong. I think we're all in agreement on that one. There *are* strategies that generate more achievement PP than others, namely the "upgrade bats first, pitching last" approach. And that's okay; it's okay to have some strategies that are better than others. But that's different than willful, repeated tanking. And there are easy ways to detect and deal with it that don't fundamentally alter the economy. Plus, if any tanker truly becomes competitive, it's pretty easy to look at their seasonal history and identify them. I think a lot of tankers do it just because they like beating up on bad competition more than anything, which is the more important issue to resolve than worrying about their effects on higher levels where most of the active players are.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #69
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

What would be cool but probably not workable is to have all the tankert end up together in a tanker league of some sorts. They could try and out tank each then.

Maybe not a very real or practical idea but I had a chuckle as I ran it through my brain.

Pine Tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote