Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-16-2019, 05:04 AM   #1
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

True Sandbox Mode

I would love for individual teams within one league to take different strategies from all of baseball's history depending on their manager philosophy and talent.

I want to see teams with 4 man rotations whose guys go 8 innings go against teams that have openers.

I want to see teams with no power and slap hitters go against teams that shift a lot.

I want to see teams that value speed and batting average go against teams that value home runs and obp.

I want to see a league that might have a team have 80 complete games and teams that have 2 complete games.

Teams that have 200 steals and teams that have 20.

It would be a true test of baseball mettle if all strategies were available to us and effective with the right talent.
Roy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:32 AM   #2
Anyone
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
I would love for individual teams within one league to take different strategies from all of baseball's history depending on their manager philosophy and talent.

I want to see teams with 4 man rotations whose guys go 8 innings go against teams that have openers.

I want to see teams with no power and slap hitters go against teams that shift a lot.

I want to see teams that value speed and batting average go against teams that value home runs and obp.

I want to see a league that might have a team have 80 complete games and teams that have 2 complete games.

It would be a true test of baseball mettle if all strategies were available to us and effective with the right talent.
Those either are available in the same league (at least to a team you run). Those that aren't, mainly involving pitching, there is one best way for any group of settings.

If pitcher endurance is high enough, as it is by default in some eras, to have 4 man rotations with the starters throwing 80 complete games between them, every team would be doing it. Starter endurance has declined over the years, regardless of what caused it (which could be argued to be that starters are now trained that if they can give 6-7 good innings on a 5 man rotation that's good enough), but if there wouldn't be ill effects from using starters nowadays

As far as speed/batting average vs. power/OBP in the same league, you can certainly value anything you want in a team you run, and there are eras that have few enough HR's and walks to make those strategies more balanced than in the modern day game (and I don't mean just dead ball, but even the early 70's; but whatever the era OPS will be more valuable than battting average or the game wouldn't be simulating realisatically). Maybe the GM and manager player evaluation sliders should give more extreme weight to their settings to allow AI managers and GM's to have more extreme "opinions" on it, though.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:34 AM   #3
KBLover
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

The only one I've not seen/done is 4-man rotations with each guy having 240 IP.

My teams often are low in HR. I tend to value OBP and doubles/triples and steals, so I often have that 200 SB while other teams have like 30-40 (other teams have 100+ and others have like 20-30).

I think all of these are already possible with enough tweaking to settings and manager strategies.

I'd create a bunch of "unorthodox" managers with very extreme sliders for strategy and player evaluation. Same for GMs.

Like release all the existing GMs from your league and erase them. Then, create a bunch of GMs and give all of them very extreme settings for player valuation.

So now you managers with "wild" approaches and GMs that are equally "wild".

Then you have to get the league to create a wide variety of players.

Honestly, I think the game does this pretty well (there's a lot of light-hitting aggressive contact hitters (Plus contact, terrible power and eye, plus or better Av K) some with burner speed and base running and some with more gap, and some with both that can be triples monsters.

But you can always tweak it some more.

You might need to tweak league totals to make steals a bit more common (raise the attempts, not necessarily success rate) if you start in like 2019 or something as your league year. Likewise, up openers (so they show up) and also SP endurance (so they can go deep). Raise RP endurance even.

That should leave it up to talents you get in your league and how those "wild" tendencies interact.

Watching the personnel would be the most time consuming to make sure you always have enough "wild" guys to go with the more conventional guys who are likely to be most common among game-made personnel (though you might be surprised, I had a manager that was small ball, shifts, and rode his starters like it was 1970, he was "unorthodox" in his type).

OOTP IS a true baseball sandbox. I think that's what a lot of people actually forget. Some are so about "realism" that they forget that OOTP can, literally, create any baseball environment you want and is set up for that because it's a baseball simulator. Not a MLB simulator.

Last edited by KBLover; 11-22-2019 at 12:35 AM.
KBLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

This is a great tip. Do you notice if the AI teams/gms build towards their managers strengths?
Old 12-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
KBLover
All Star Reserve

I think it tries it's best, especially if you got very aggressive with the roster value settings.

Where I think a big wild card comes in is with the coaches. If you set a GM to heavily favor offense and power, and have a very high value on development, would the team then try to fill the organization with coaches/managers the focus on power?

It would be an interesting experiment now that I think about it.
KBLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

IMO managers and GMs should be a lot more variable than they are now, or at least have the option to make them a lot more variable. This would create the kind of universe the OP is talking about. Right now even GM's who are very opposed to each other, on Rebuilding vs Win now teams, still largely value the same thing and play the same way.

I've got another reason for liking this, too. What would happen over time is that strategies which don't work will fade away as unsuccessful managers/GMs are let go and winners get to stay around. Strategies would come full circle as new GM's and managers take advantage of players who are undervalued in whatever the current universe style of play is.

How would such a league evolve? Maybe we'd see that the optimal play style isn't quite what we thought, and the AI would become more and more challenging. In an indirect way it will let the AI learn.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #7
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

I posted a trade on the main forum that I didn't think worked, but people missed why I was complaining about it. According to the GM tendency sliders, this GM valued batting average above all else. Yet he traded a guy who had hit 330 a couple straight years to me.

The GM sliders don't work. The manager sliders do work, however you have to make them pretty extreme to see the difference. But like you said, there is a disconnect between GM and manager. GM's don't build teams towards their managers strengths or to their ballparks strengths.

Now a player can go into commissioner mode and keep an eye on things from year to year and manage sliders to a degree, but then the organic, evolutionary feeling of the league is lost. And this idea of a team firing one type of manager for another type of manager never happens. There is no flavor to the gm's or the managers.

The end result is an AI team rarely outperforms expectations. They build boring, not smart. They don't build to the ballpark. They don't build with a long term vision.

For the most part, I lose because of budget issues and injury issues. And no other reason really. And it is a bummer. I am glad someone else sees this too.