Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Drafting and scouting --- YES!

I am really excited to see improvements to drafting and scouting! I'd like to see a little more trade possibilities, perhaps three team trades or a sortable Shop Player list?
Avindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #2
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Also Trades happening in Draft and import Draft Classes.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #3
BriDav00
Bat Boy

Drafting and Scouting

I hope this improvement will in some way increase the high round draft picks randomly becoming better than expected, ie Mike Piazza a 62nd round pick becoming a hall of famer. I've played OOTP since 5 or 6 and I can't remember having a player drafted after the fifth round EVER becoming a starter on any of my teams. One of the very few things that has ever bothered me about the game.
BriDav00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Imperialism32
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriDav00 View Post
I hope this improvement will in some way increase the high round draft picks randomly becoming better than expected, ie Mike Piazza a 62nd round pick becoming a hall of famer. I've played OOTP since 5 or 6 and I can't remember having a player drafted after the fifth round EVER becoming a starter on any of my teams. One of the very few things that has ever bothered me about the game.
The Talent Change Randomness option can affect this.
Imperialism32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

I'm really excited for a revamped draft. It really feels like you're flying blind most of the time, there's no fanfare and it takes a really long time to go through menus and set-up shortlists and whatnot.

The other thing I hope they implement is the quick ability to insert rounds into the draft without having to import/export. I realize it's probably impossible to determine competitive balance picks via programming (since it's basically an MLB secret), so it would be cool to just be able to insert a couple competitive balance rounds as I see fit after the first round.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Im cautiously optimistic this will lead to improvements to minor league stats - so that the top prospects actually tear up the minors like in real life.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
DanKreider
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOak View Post
Im cautiously optimistic this will lead to improvements to minor league stats - so that the top prospects actually tear up the minors like in real life.
Agreed, this would be really nice to see!
DanKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #8
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKreider View Post
Agreed, this would be really nice to see!

Also, speaking of stats, note this from the announcement:

"New statistics! Catcher framing details, strikeout percentages, walk percentages, strikeout minus walk percentages and more are tracked and displayed to ensure you are fully aware of how successful (or not) your players are."
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #9
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post

"New statistics! Catcher framing details, strikeout percentages, walk percentages, strikeout minus walk percentages and more are tracked and displayed to ensure you are fully aware of how successful (or not) your players are."
Wait, catcher framing is in now?! What about exit velocity and launch angle?
Avindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #10
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post

Step in the right direction! This is what I wanted to see before I preordered. I don't think SIERA is in this game, but I will definitely take framing stats, which I never ever thought would be in the game.

Thank you OOTPD
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
Wait, catcher framing is in now?! What about exit velocity and launch angle?
Catcher framing may not end up having stats. We have investigated and adjusted the effect of catcher framing, but aren't sure if we'll be able to show a metric for it.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #12
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Catcher framing may not end up having stats. We have investigated and adjusted the effect of catcher framing, but aren't sure if we'll be able to show a metric for it.
Right; I noted the word *details* per Catcher framing; I know this is already part of the catcher skill set in the current ratings and game engine, and thought this would just draw from that modifier, and basically give that modifier a grade (A,B,C etc...) for folks to see and compare. Still pretty cool.

Anyway, just overall great to see more stats and details. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Calvert98; 02-26-2020 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Added info
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #13
GeneralCornRowWallace
Minors (Single A)

I think all these enhancements to scouting and drafting sound great. My hope is that it is still easy and intuitive to use if you want to approach it that way. I trust my scout and his ratings, hone on a certain things (ex., movement for pitchers, contact for hitters) and then draft away.

I have seen players drafted in late rounds develop, first rounders tear up the minors, and high picks flame out.

I think about some of the old Madden games and how scouting worked there - how complex and time consuming it was, how you had to scout individual players and you had to earn "XP" to be able to scout more. It took all the fun out of drafting because it made it too hard and too complex.

My hope is we have the right balance in 21. I'm excited!
GeneralCornRowWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #14
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Is there going to be a framing stat in the game though, not a rating? I'd just to like to know how good or bad my catcher is at framing? FanGraphs has their FRM metric, I know BP does as well, are those going to be stats in-game?
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #15
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Is there going to be a framing stat in the game though, not a rating? I'd just to like to know how good or bad my catcher is at framing? FanGraphs has their FRM metric, I know BP does as well, are those going to be stats in-game?
As I said, it's unlikely right now that we're going to have a framing stat. I really want it in, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to provide a stat that essentially lies to you, and the way we handle framing, it's hard to isolate its effect and report usefully on it.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #16
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
As I said, it's unlikely right now that we're going to have a framing stat. I really want it in, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to provide a stat that essentially lies to you, and the way we handle framing, it's hard to isolate its effect and report usefully on it.

I would absolutely love some sort of indicator at how good a catcher is at calling a game, ie- how much influence positive or negative, they have on a pitcher

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #17
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hey Matt, does the catchers ability confer any bonus to the pitcher as things are now? It's something I've been curious about for a little while. Like you said it's nothing that can be quantified but I have noticed good pitchers being slightly better with some catchers over others
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #18
jaysfan17
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
I am really excited to see improvements to drafting and scouting! I'd like to see a little more trade possibilities, perhaps three team trades or a sortable Shop Player list?
This new feature has been a long time coming. I’d be super stoked if we got three team trades.
jaysfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #19
raderlj
Bat Boy

Question Projected Stats Part of Scouting Changes?

I'm extremely excited about the new scouting changes, and I'm wondering if this will be part of the revamp:

Currently, I'll play in commissioner mode, because, while I like scouting, I have a hard time translating the 20-80 or stars to a player's line (PA, AB, H, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, HP, SO, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS). When in commissioner mode, I'll click Edit on the player profile, and look at those numbers.

However, those are an accurate representation of a player's line - I'm wondering if there's a way that the line can be surfaced on the player profile page (not in commissioner mode), and have it become more and more accurate depending on how well scouted a player is.

I have my fingers crossed that something similar to this will be part of the new release, but wondering if anyone can shed light on A. if it is and B. if it's not, if it's something we might be able to expect in the future
raderlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #20
Pedro
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
I use Catcher ERA to approximate this. It’s not perfect but something to consider.

Edit: generally in comparison to my league-average backup catcher

Last edited by Pedro; 03-05-2020 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Clarification
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote