Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
CBeisbol
Banned

Spring training defensive experience.

I noticed that my players weren't improving as I thought they should be during spring training. So, I did a short experiment.

I took my second baseman who had no experience at 1B or 3B and played him 4 innings at 3B and four at 1B.

After the game he had accrued 10 experience points at 3B and 0 at 1B.

I thought that odd

So, I repeated the experiment, but this time he started at 1B and then moved to 3B for innings 5-8.

This time he ad 10 experience points at 1B and 0 at 3B.

I was sad.

I tried the experiment a third time. This time I started him at 3B and checked his ratings before a single pitch was thrown (I was the visiting team so he hadn't stepped on the field at 3B yet). Unfortunately, he had a brand new 20 rating at 3B that had never been there before.

I continued the experiment by immediately moving him from 3B to 1B (so he never spent an at bat at 3B but played the entire game at 1B) and substituted in a new player who had 0 experience at 3B to play 3B. After the game, of course, the player who never played 3B, gained 10 experience points at 3B, and 0 at 1B where he played the whole game and the guy who actually played the whole game at 3B gained nothing.

It appears that the game doesn't award defensive experience by inning, but by game started. (At least during spring training, maybe it's different during the regular season. I'll cross my fingers that this is the case (and I'll test it later if I haven't gotten an answer. I'm hopeful because 'players learn faster in spring' and defensive stats (number of innings) aren't kept in spring, but are during the season).

I can understand the reasons why it would be coded that way - but it would be much more realistic and "better" (in my humble opinion) if it was done by inning.

It's disappointing that, at least, in spring training, when lots of players, including young players, are getting playing time, it's not being captured by the experience function.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

I believe this is new in OOTP 20, and I think it’s to prevent exploits. I believe the system *had* been by game, which meant that in theory you could get a guy experience at every single position during a ST game. I know I used to train guys at 2 positions at once every ST.

Now, in order to get guys to “learn” a position well in ST, you have to pick one and focus on that.
Wingedlion14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
CBeisbol
Banned

Just exposes the problems with not doing it by inning.

Again, in spring training one is likely to use a lot of substitutes, so doing it by game started is a pretty serious mistake, in my opinion
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote