Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

How do you all stay interested in your saves after 10+ years in game?

I ask this because in my Oakland A's save that I've been working on since launch, it's 2032 and I've won the WS 2 times in the last 5 years, made it 3 years in a row and now I'm getting bored with it. Also it doesnt help that this season following the WS win the team has decided to play like garbage as we're only 2 games above .500 in July, and I just don't feel like playing this save anymore, but I don't really wanna start a new save and go back to 2017, because in my opinion, the first few years of OOTP saves are kind of a drag as I like to get at least 3 years into a save and it's about grinding to that point for me anyways. I've never been into historical games or fictional saves either, so I really wanna stay in the MLB and I would love to stick with this save it's just that with the team currently struggling, and the fact that I've accomplished my goals with this save, which is to rebuild and transform the A's into a powerhouse, I just don't feel like advancing further in this save, even though I have some nice prospects coming up and I kinda wanna see how they turn out.

I've stopped playing that save for about a week to see if time off would get me re-interested. I came back to it yesterday and I just found it boring. So basically, I either need new inspiration, or an idea for a new MLB project

Last edited by wallewalls; 04-30-2017 at 01:30 PM.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
drhay53
Major Leagues

I don't know, I'm in year 15 of a fictional save with 6 WS wins, all with the same team, and I'm not even close to bored. The setup of professional baseball gives you so many things to manage as a GM that just moving from decision to decision and watching players pile up stats and awards, watching guy's careers derailed to injuries, etc. just keeps me interested.

I do take a week or two off every once in a while, and sometimes I even come back to o soon and am a little bored. But the boredom with my little universe always goes away eventually and I'm fully invested again.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

since you specifically said yo don't want to use the other types of leagues... all you can do is change that one.

the rules, the structure, or whatever...

you do know you've been drafting fictional players for at least 5 years now, right? so, if you continue to play an 2017 w/real players it eventually becomes a fictional league anyway.

Try the other types of games instead of saying you dont want to... if you hate it 15minutes in, then you know you were right and not much effort involved.

the first few years can be a bit of a slow simmer... if you try fictional, create the game 20 years prior to when you want to start, then sim to that start date. finally, delete league history and stats -- just like starting a new game, now, but you have replaced those seed players with a more 'normal' distribution of talent from R-through-MLB.

totally unneccessary, but ... may be of interest if you change your mind.. i wouldn't do this to test out if you "like" the game-type, though... just start onen up and dink around. it's no different than what you are doing now, but there aren't lingering real players hanging around anymore.

Some people like the game creation process mor than playing... regularly re-make leagues after 5-10 years.... that wouldn't be so unusual. don't feel like you have to play the game any certain way... do whatever keeps you interested... even try new things.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-30-2017 at 02:25 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

I've tried fictional saves before and I just didn't find following fictional teams to be very interesting, not knocking the mode, it's deep and detailed but I'd rather play with real teams, the players might be fictional but at least they "come" from real teams
Old 04-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
I've tried fictional saves before and I just didn't find following fictional teams to be very interesting, not knocking the mode, it's deep and detailed but I'd rather play with real teams, the players might be fictional but at least they "come" from real teams
I play with "real" teams and fictional players in a clone of 2007-11 MLB. I have two main versions one with 65 seasons the other with 95 seasons. My interest never wanes as the great improvement in the game from version to version makes it more difficult to dominate.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

It sounds like you do a whole lot of simming. Maybe try and play the league day to day? Or play some/all of the games out yourself? That's what keeps me interested. I only sim a day at a time so I'm in control of what happens more closely.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yurpman View Post
It sounds like you do a whole lot of simming. Maybe try and play the league day to day? Or play some/all of the games out yourself? That's what keeps me interested. I only sim a day at a time so I'm in control of what happens more closely.
I manage all of the postseason games, and tried lately to manage more games as I have tried a bullpenning strategy to try and help my struggling rotation, but I can't be doing this through a 162 game season
Old 04-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
drhay53
Major Leagues

I personally watch every game managed by the AI. Gives me time to really get to know each year's team and think deeply about my GM strategy.

I know that if I simmed games I would sim past important decisions and become bored very quickly. Playing out every game is the only way for me to do it.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Try something different within your current save or start a new one. I get different ideas for leagues by reading about leagues in the dynasty section or in the historical sims. One thing, if the current save is uninteresting or becoming a chore then it is time for something new or at least different which is the beauty of this game.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I've been working on my EBL vs MLB league since OOTP 11. Dynasty thread since September of 2013. I go through periods when I find it extremely tedious and boring. I also have my ABF league which began on OOTP 11 but in its current form since OOTP 15. I will mess around with historical, RD, fictional and seasons replays from time to time but i always come back to the EBL vs MLB. It is the only reason i play OOTP. I back it up several times per season.
Take some time off, start a new league then come back to your league. I last took 4 months off from the EBL vs MLB league.Came back and my team is battling for 1st place with less then a month left to go.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I've been working on my EBL vs MLB league since OOTP 11. Dynasty thread since September of 2013. I go through periods when I find it extremely tedious and boring. I also have my ABF league which began on OOTP 11 but in its current form since OOTP 15. I will mess around with historical, RD, fictional and seasons replays from time to time but i always come back to the EBL vs MLB. It is the only reason i play OOTP. I back it up several times per season.
Take some time off, start a new league then come back to your league. I last took 4 months off from the EBL vs MLB league.Came back and my team is battling for 1st place with less then a month left to go.
yeah i think i'm going to take a lot of time off this save and hopefully come back to it, because i do wanna keep it going. i just hate going through the first 2 seasons in a new mlb game because it always starts off slow but hopefully that part can keep my interest. now i just need to figure out which team i should use
Old 04-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

My advice is, definitely do NOT trash the league. Don't start a new similar one, either, because your experience is likely to repeat itself.

Instead, do one of two things:
  • Put the game aside and do something else for a while. What "a while" means is debatable, but long enough to miss your league and want to return to it. You will thank yourself as you pick up the reins again that you have some history to look back on.
  • Start up a new league but with a completely different format. There's a whole bunch of things you can do: fictional vs. historical; international; league/playoff structure; demographics. Personally, I usually play fictional MLB (fictional players in historical MLB). If I get bored, I may think about flipping that definition (historical players from all eras in a fictional MLB).

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 04-30-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #13
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I make people i know abd follow them from my dad to my great nephew by the time the youngest plays a full career then a full coaching career over a 100 years have gone by

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:57 AM   #14
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

You can try managing your way up through the minors of your system. It's different gameplay, and letting the AI mess up your system for a while will give you work to do when, after a few years, you get back to the majors along with many of the players you've coached along the way.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:16 AM   #15
chey
Minors (Triple A)

The other option would be to fire yourself. Ownership got too used to winning, tossed you after a single bad stretch, and now you're in charge of a cellar dweller that you have to bring to glory just like you did the A's.

Maybe someday you'll make a triumphant return to Oakland, too!
chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #16
mmarra82
Major Leagues

If it is that you do not like working with fictional players, go back in time, say 1970's, take over a team with real rosters and manage from there. Should give you a good 40 year run of real players.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #17
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

In my many years of playing simulated sports I see 2 different types of people.

Type 1 wants to win and win every time, losing sucks and makes them hate the game. If they lose they will lose interest.

Type 2 Also wants to win but losing actually drives them to stay interested. When they win they wonder if they really won or bought the team, its like they feel guilty for winning and to much winning and they will lose interest.
maximus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #18
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

My main game is a fictional league I started back in OOTP14. It's on it's 87th season now. In that time I've played four managers in a sort of "career mode". When they reach a certain age I'll retire them, create a new manager and start by taking minor league/feeder league/international league jobs and work my way back into the majors. I make a real effort to get familiar with the players and follow their careers. I play stats only so there is never any ratings real or potential available so you are never sure who will become a star and who won't. That has kept my interest piqued for a long time now.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #19
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

I think a lot has to do with how much work you put into your league.

When you spend dozens of hours on logos, jerseys and caps, maybe even on schedules you definitely think twice before deleting your league.

On the other hand I also start to lose interest in my historical leagues pretty soon.

It's quite simple - you normally take your favorite team, but once you start to dominate your league year after year and all it comes down to is if you win the World Series or not, things start to get boring.

So in my case - I have a hard time to keep up interest in my historical league, but I simply can't get enough of my fictional leagues
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #20
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I nowhere near an expert so although I've won the title game a few years I'm inept enough to have down years so I can't get bored of winning too much.

I have a mega-world and I have a 10 year contract with myself on a team. After 10 years I skip town and start anew in another league or possibly even in another country. Keeps things fresh. Also when you are having a bad year or get bored I look at what's going on in other leagues. I've created so many associations, tournaments, and winter leagues etc that there is a lot for me to follow.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote