Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #81
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Tomlin's OK as a 5th starter. He matches up better against teams with less power since he pitches to contact. He's gonna get burned on 3-run homers from time to time. I'm not sure Clevinger provides a better option at this point. Maybe they can limit Tomlin to more like 2 times through the order or something if they need to.

I have bigger worries, like how the offense looks against good pitching. Now with Brantley seemingly not coming back, this is more critical than ever. We are going to wish we had another bat. Sigh.

Hopefully Oakland will make us look good again
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #82
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Four game sweep of the Angels is exactly what the doctor ordered! Hopefully they can take the one against Boston tomorrow and then keep rolling against the White Sox.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #83
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
Four game sweep of the Angels is exactly what the doctor ordered! Hopefully they can take the one against Boston tomorrow and then keep rolling against the White Sox.
Yep, coupled with the Tigers cooling off has the Tribe back in good shape in the standings.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #84
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

So, the team was doomed by a combo of Touch 'em All Tomlin and no offense yesterday.

Luckily, Tomlin is basically the 5th starter on the team, and it's not as though he's been bad. He got off to the great start, but even when he started 7-0 and 9-1, the warning signs were there. He's a fly ball pitcher that gives up way too many home runs. He's given up 29 this season, and is on pace to give up 40, which would set a franchise record (and be 13th most all time in MLB history). It's a big reason that he has lost 5 of his last 8 starts with an ERA over 6. The first half of the year, he had a low WHIP. Rarely walked a batter and kept the hits down. Now he's giving up a lot more hits. Before, he'd give up a lot of solo shots. Now they are coming with runners on. Again, that's the chance you take with a pitcher like that. He is going to give up a home run (he's done so in 20 of his 22 starts, and multiple HRs in 7). You just can't assume they will always be solo shots. At some point, he'll start giving up the big ones. That's fine for the regular season, but it's not something you can put out there in the postseason. With tighter games with lower scores, any home run can be a game changer, especially in a hitter friendly park, like Progressive. Luckily, Tomlin will most likely be the long guy out of the bullpen in the playoffs (if they can hold on).

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!

Last edited by Bobbuttons; 08-16-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #85
AnotherAlias
Hall Of Famer

On Facebook, there was this one annoying woman who is an Indians fan complaining about Aroldis Chapman being a "wife-beater and criminal."

What she fails to acknowledge is the truth about the case. That he didn't beat his wife...he isn't even married. That he choked his woman. That didn't happen either. He did admit to firing his gun in his garage, but in Florida that isn't a crime if you are on your own property and not shooting at anotherperson.

The part that made me laugh the most is that when I posted a link to a story indicating that Cleveland was attempting to get Chapman for their bullpen. After that, only heard crickets.

So many people don't have the facts about that incident, yet they still claim that what he did was criminal.

You guys got Miller. That's who I wanted the Cubs to get, but it didn't happen.
AnotherAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #86
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherAlias View Post
On Facebook, there was this one annoying woman who is an Indians fan complaining about Aroldis Chapman being a "wife-beater and criminal."

What she fails to acknowledge is the truth about the case. That he didn't beat his wife...he isn't even married. That he choked his woman. That didn't happen either. He did admit to firing his gun in his garage, but in Florida that isn't a crime if you are on your own property and not shooting at anotherperson.

The part that made me laugh the most is that when I posted a link to a story indicating that Cleveland was attempting to get Chapman for their bullpen. After that, only heard crickets.

So many people don't have the facts about that incident, yet they still claim that what he did was criminal.

You guys got Miller. That's who I wanted the Cubs to get, but it didn't happen.
It's "fans' like that lady that give the real fans a bad name....I don't know how many times I have seen someone that claims to be a fan of <insert team here>, yet they know nothing about the sport or the team they claim to root for. And in this case, all she probably saw was the old headline when he was accused of hitting a woman and just assumed what she wanted.

That being said, I am glad we got Miller over Chapman, mainly because Miller is under control for 2 more seasons and Chapman would have walked from Cleveland and with our luck gone back to the Yankees...at least the Cubs have a shot to resign him.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #87
AnotherAlias
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's "fans' like that lady that give the real fans a bad name....I don't know how many times I have seen someone that claims to be a fan of <insert team here>, yet they know nothing about the sport or the team they claim to root for. And in this case, all she probably saw was the old headline when he was accused of hitting a woman and just assumed what she wanted.

That being said, I am glad we got Miller over Chapman, mainly because Miller is under control for 2 more seasons and Chapman would have walked from Cleveland and with our luck gone back to the Yankees...at least the Cubs have a shot to resign him.
Right on all accounts!

I do believe if they make it far into the post-season, that he will re-up with the Cubs. It's a much better environment in Chicago than it used to be. But management needs to be willing to drop a big dime on him.
AnotherAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:27 AM   #88
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Great come from behind win last night, but it looks like Salazar may be out for a while.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:54 PM   #89
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Great come from behind win last night, but it looks like Salazar may be out for a while.
Where do you get that Salazar might be out for a while? He was pitching a simulated game in the bullpen right after he was pulled and I haven't seen anything about any arm issues since then.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Old 08-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #90
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

I posted that before I heard that he was out in the bullpen after he left the game.....But what a way to win last night!
Old 08-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #91
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I posted that before I heard that he was out in the bullpen after he left the game.....But what a way to win last night!
And then Tomlin happens. Again.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #92
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbuttons View Post
And then Tomlin happens. Again.
One pitch by Tomlin, 1-0 Minnesota. OK, I'm totally off the Tomlin train now.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:30 AM   #93
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Good comeback by the Tribe.....Tomlin forgot how to pitch after that great start. I wonder if Clevenger will move into the rotation sooner rather than later, especially with the rosters expanding.

And it looks like they got a little help in the form of Coco Crisp.....never was a fan of his when he was here last time, but I understand the move.

Indians, Athletics Agree To Coco Crisp Trade - MLB Trade Rumors
Old 08-31-2016, 07:38 AM   #94
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good comeback by the Tribe.....Tomlin forgot how to pitch after that great start. I wonder if Clevenger will move into the rotation sooner rather than later, especially with the rosters expanding.

And it looks like they got a little help in the form of Coco Crisp.....never was a fan of his when he was here last time, but I understand the move.

Indians, Athletics Agree To Coco Crisp Trade - MLB Trade Rumors
I've heard that they will likely move Tomlin out of the rotation soon. I think it would be wise to do, not just because he's been struggling so bad, but so he doesn't set a team, or even an MLB record for HRA.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #95
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbuttons View Post
I've heard that they will likely move Tomlin out of the rotation soon. I think it would be wise to do, not just because he's been struggling so bad, but so he doesn't set a team, or even an MLB record for HRA.
I almost wish they had been able to get another starting pitcher before the deadline today, even a average one has to be better than Tomlin....hopefully Clevenger continues to pitch well.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #96
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Looks like they did not give up anything of value for Crisp....Colt Hynes is a 31 year old pitcher who they purchased from Toronto earlier this season....and it's not the first time they have traded him away lol.

Colt Hynes Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #97
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Went to the game tonight, great outing from Kluber and a good showing from the offense. It's about time they take care of the Twins like they should have all season!

Old 09-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #98
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

I've got corporate tix for the club deck on the first base side for the Detroit game on 9/16. Looking forward to it.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #99
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Took 2 of 3 from the Twins in Minneapolis and a 7 game lead in the division lets me breathe a little better, but I hope the injury to Salazar does not turn out to be anything serious because they need him in the playoffs.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #100
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
...but I hope the injury to Salazar does not turn out to be anything serious because they need him in the playoffs.
Yeah, that could be a deal breaker. This team isn't going to hit themselves to the World Series.