Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 11-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #81
landru22
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by julius View Post
I agree that you can select ties in the league rules, but it still records at least 1 point for wins on penalties which you can't change to zero even though, as in your league, it makes no sense (check your league rules). Like the difficulty in having ties reflect properly in the standings, these aren't a big deal, but should be fixed.
True, you can't set the points for wins on penalties to 0, but if you set the number of penalty shots to 0 it works fine (assuming you don't want shootouts).
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #82
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I will look into the points/ties stuff. That should of course work as intended and without flaws (like on the standings page).

On the topic of fictional leagues in general: as we wrote, we are perfectly clear that some people want (way) more from this mode then FHM 2015 will have. But in the interest of the game we have to draw a line somewhere even if we lose some people due to our decision (thats why I show what exactly you can do and what not!).

Question (as I, personally, am not a fictional player at all): what exactly do you want to do when you talk about a "NHL template"?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #83
Ramzavail
All Star Reserve

After reading what they will have in the 2015 version for fictional leagues, I'm encouraged and I think its smart to start small and allow for the basics to work. If anybody remembers, that's how OOTP started.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #84
julius
Minors (Single A)

I guess I used the term "NHL template" so I will have a go. I use the term to describe what I have done in the current version, where the league has operated for about 7 seasons. I start by creating the NHL. On July 1 (or whatever date editing is currently allowed) I edit this NHL league to essentially replace it with my fictional league-I edit teams and players, including farm teams, but don't otherwise move teams around or edit the league structure. At this point, I will have entirely replaced the original NHL league with my fictional league and it continues to operate in the full hockey universe.

I think the reason this seems to work is that I am not editing the NHL structure, or number of teams, schedule etc. so the game doesn't have to deal with those complications. Unfortunately this may also be the principal limitation in using this approach. I am OK with it, so I was simply seeking confirmation that it would still be available. If we had the option of starting an NHL league entirely with fictional players-that would save a lot of work for me
julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #85
kohut
Minors (Single A)

Any plans to make the simulation engine faster up there with the OOTP one? I found FHM so miserably slow whereas OOTP was a nice pace!
kohut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:58 AM   #86
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohut View Post
Any plans to make the simulation engine faster up there with the OOTP one? I found FHM so miserably slow whereas OOTP was a nice pace!
FHM, in modern game, has so many more leagues, teams and players that you can't compare it with OOTP at all (more with FM or EHM). Try historical play (with just one/two leagues available) and the sim will fly.

So a big world comes with a price (speed) and of course we will always improve speed when possible but the only way to get the same speed as OOTP is to reduce the world to just a few leagues.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #87
julius
Minors (Single A)

For what it's worth, in a simulation like this I would trade away speed for depth all day long.
julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #88
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For what it's worth, in a simulation like this I would trade away speed for depth all day long.
Well said
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #89
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohut View Post
OOTP modern day with all leagues selected is slow. So is FM and EHM. FHM15 fictional and (14/15) historical are incredibly fast as their are only a select number of leagues in the world.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #90
kohut
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
FHM, in modern game, has so many more leagues, teams and players that you can't compare it with OOTP at all (more with FM or EHM). Try historical play (with just one/two leagues available) and the sim will fly.

So a big world comes with a price (speed) and of course we will always improve speed when possible but the only way to get the same speed as OOTP is to reduce the world to just a few leagues.
I totally understand that. I was playing with NHL and AHL the minimum vs. OOTP having MLB/AAA/AA/A/R and OOTP was still fyling.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #91
kohut
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
OOTP has depth and its sim engine is much faster.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #92
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

NM, didn't read your comment well enough. My bad.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #93
Mafarfloune
Minors (Single A)

To be fair, a quick search tells me a baseball game averages about 18 minutes of action, whereas a hockey game is usually 60 minutes of action. So a hockey simulator SHOULD be about three times slower than a baseball simulator. (and that is ignoring the complexity of simulating the objects in motion which should be much higher in a hockey engine)

Last edited by Mafarfloune; 12-07-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Mafarfloune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #94
kohut
Minors (Single A)

I understand how complex simulation can be. I have been involved in hockey sims since HLS2 was in its prime. I just think it would be nice to have the option of a quicker simulation available. I like the speed of OOTP and hope this game can reach that simulation rate with all the features or if I have to remove certain options.

I understand historical mode simulates much quicker.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #95
Perceptor
Minors (Triple A)

I'm cautiously optimistic about what I've seen so far. I just hope the game is more playable than 2014 because I quickly fell out of love for it. I expect the first iteration of any game to be rougher and like I said, I'm enjoying what I've seen so far from the blogs

Hope you guys deliver a solid and improved 2nd game
Perceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #96
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafarfloune View Post
To be fair, a quick search tells me a baseball game averages about 18 minutes of action, whereas a hockey game is usually 60 minutes of action. So a hockey simulator SHOULD be about three times slower than a baseball simulator. (and that is ignoring the complexity of simulating the objects in motion which should be much higher in a hockey engine)
lol at this. You realize neither game actually simulates each minute of action right? They just spit out a result for the game (plays) based on inputs (players, tactics, etc.). I don't see why FHM needs to simulate 3 times as much stuff as OOTP. I'm actually pretty sure OOTP simulates more stuff, especially when OOTP sims in much greater detail.

I'm fine if the developers feel there are bigger issues than improving the sim speed right now, but I would be very disappointed if they sim speed is a total non-issue right now. Simming through years at a time is especially painful.

Last edited by greenOak; 12-17-2014 at 08:39 PM.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #97
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOak View Post
lol at this. You realize neither game actually simulates each minute of action right? They just spit out a result for the game (plays) based on inputs (players, tactics, etc.). I don't see why FHM needs to simulate 3 times as much stuff as OOTP. I'm actually pretty sure OOTP simulates more stuff, especially when OOTP sims in much greater detail.

I'm fine if the developers feel there are bigger issues than improving the sim speed right now, but I would be very disappointed if they sim speed is a total non-issue right now. Simming through years at a time is especially painful.
Come to think of it I played Hearts of Iron III.. the game was over in about 6 hours.. I got jipped like 7 years. I want my money back. :-D

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #98
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
Come to think of it I played Hearts of Iron III.. the game was over in about 6 hours.. I got jipped like 7 years. I want my money back. :-D
At least you weren't playing any of the other Paradox games then lol. Could've easily gotten jipped out of 500 years.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #99
jacob_jub
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Are you guys planning on adding anymore vintage seasons earlier than 1947? If so i could be of assistance. I am very knowledgeable in the historical aspects of hockey.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:32 AM   #100
Mafarfloune
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOak View Post

Of course they don't simulate each minute of action, but theoretically they should simulate a similar percentage of it for a similar accuracy. Whether it's the case for those particular products wasn't exactly my point.
Mafarfloune is offline   Reply With Quote