Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

Audio play-by-play

Has the mono-toned audio play-by-play been improved in OOTP21?? The current audio play-by-play is hard to immerse yourself into the game as it is very robotic. Thank you guys for what I'm sure will be another great game!
FSUKegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:55 AM   #2
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

I am surprise that after releasing over 20 versions they are not taking this part of the game seriously. It needs a lot more love from Markus in my opinion.
BusterKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #3
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
They've just added some very nice new features that many would argue Markus never took seriously. Could it simply be, like so many other things, this is on the list for the future, and when done will be a major addition?

Should they have not rewritten scouting instead?

How about the stadium builder, let it wait?

The work they did on the draft, maybe next year?

After asking people to log 3d issues should they have left it as is, not smoothed it out, not added the follow the ball camera?

This year is no different than any other, IE they can only do so many things on the list. Some get done this year, some get left for future. Just because it didn't make the cut this year does not mean they don't take it seriously. What should they have left off so they could do pbp audio? How many posts would ask about the feature that was left off wondering why they don't take it seriously?

For my way of play I'd rather have professional audio pbp announcers than the stadium builder. I would imagine a large number of users would shout me down on this one Having said that I have no problem with the decision they made, I'll simply wait for next year or the year after that.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

I understand that they can't put everything in every release and that just because it isn't in there doesn't mean that they won't work on it in the future. I was simply asking if this was upgraded for OOTP21
Old 02-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUKegman View Post
I understand that they can't put everything in every release and that just because it isn't in there doesn't mean that they won't work on it in the future. I was simply asking if this was upgraded for OOTP21
Yeah, I got that. I probably should have quoted BK's post as it was him that went to the " they are not taking this part of the game seriously" argument
Old 02-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

It also might not be used much as a feature. I like playing out games fairly regularly and I've never tried it.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

If you're referring to TTS (text to speech), it's totally reliant on the Windows TTS. It improves only when Microsoft improves this feature.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Yeah, I got that. I probably should have quoted BK's post as it was him that went to the " they are not taking this part of the game seriously" argument
It wasn't an "argument" and I stand by what I said.
BusterKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
ecd1973
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUKegman View Post
Has the mono-toned audio play-by-play been improved in OOTP21?? The current audio play-by-play is hard to immerse yourself into the game as it is very robotic. Thank you guys for what I'm sure will be another great game!
This is one of my hopes for future ootp versions. A natural audio play by play even if it's just basic plays. I imagine it starting with just key phrases like ground ball fly ball out safe etc and then growing from there with actual recorded voices. Moddable of course so we can put Vin Scully and Bob Murphy and whoever we want.

A guy can dream...
Old 02-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
It wasn't an "argument" and I stand by what I said.
Depends on which definition of argument. Argument doesn't have to have a negative connotation, and your argument is certainly not a heated discussion but...

a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point:
or maybe, a process of reasoning; series of reasons: IE No new audio = developer not taking this part of the game seriously.

Seems to fit the definition. In any case no harm or insult intended

And I'll stand by what I said too
Old 02-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #11
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd1973 View Post
This is one of my hopes for future ootp versions. A natural audio play by play even if it's just basic plays. I imagine it starting with just key phrases like ground ball fly ball out safe etc and then growing from there with actual recorded voices. Moddable of course so we can put Vin Scully and Bob Murphy and whoever we want.

A guy can dream...
I second that brother.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #12
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Voiced PbP play is something I would LOVE to see happen someday. But that would not be a small undertaking.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

If they do add voiced PBP, I'll complain when there's not a "golf announcer" option for it, so Markus is doomed to have one of us complaining
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #14
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
If you're referring to TTS (text to speech), it's totally reliant on the Windows TTS. It improves only when Microsoft improves this feature.

Aaahhh. I never knew that. Hmmm..maybe one day OOTP can work on their own PBP instead of using TTS. Thank you Pstrickert
Old 02-24-2020, 07:58 AM   #15
Celtic Forever
All Star Reserve

If it isn't done in the voice of Macho Man Randy Savage then I don't want it.
Celtic Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:04 AM   #16
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I think it would be very interesting if they looked into Kickstarter for additional features.

Example owlcat games of Pathfinder fame had enough money to fund their sequel but wanted additional stuff to make the game even better. They wanted to raise 300k well they are almost at 1.5 million raised in 2 weeks.

Yes we are talking about a huge blockbuster game but the same model could be used.

Ootp staff would do the same they always do while Kickstarter would raise money for voice actors and outsourced audio program team.

Basically allowing for 22 to be developed the same time as there additional features.

The normal tier for that game that's (owlcat Pathfinder) gets you the game on launch is $25 but they are averaging around $60 per donation.

There is always alpha, beta access and different types of swag that people like spending extra on.

Ootp could have stretch goals for retro graphics, uniforms, logos, stadiums, fictional stuff. Since it could all be outsourced to different artists.

Ootp could do all kinds of perfect team swag, and baseball type swag.

Plus Kickstarter raises publicity of games these days. That's why some companies are doing it even if game is funded because why not include extra if people will pay.

Ootp could set up a default fictional league. Sell roster spots and Hall of fame as perks. I bet people on the forum would line up to pledge $100 instead if normal $40 to actually be in the ootp 22

Last edited by jimmysthebestcop; 02-25-2020 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:09 AM   #17
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

I posted something about a real audio PBP in the OOTP 21 wish-list, and in another thread on OOTP 20's general forum; I also certainly understand that if this ever makes into the game, it is a longer-term item.

In that post I mentioned what caught my attention was coming across a video of the Tony LaRussa Baseball 1996 PC game on YouTube. That game's audio PBP really held-up and candidly, seemed better than the current MLB The Show PBP I compared it to on YouTube.

I think the key there is that Tony L's game avoided the pitfalls of all of that color commentary in "The Show", and basically stuck with the actual PBP. Anyway, it was just really well-done, and as someone who plays-out all of his games, this would be a nice option to have at some point.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #18
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I think it would be very interesting if they looked into Kickstarter for additional features.

Example owlcat games of Pathfinder fame had enough money to fund their sequel but wanted additional stuff to make the game even better. They wanted to raise 300k well they are almost at 1.5 million raised in 2 weeks.

Yes we are talking about a huge blockbuster game but the same model could be used.

Ootp staff would do the same they always do while Kickstarter would raise money for voice actors and outsourced audio program team.

Basically allowing for 22 to be developed the same time as there additional features.

The normal tier for that game that's (owlcat Pathfinder) gets you the game on launch is $25 but they are averaging around $60 per donation.

There is always alpha, beta access and different types of swag that people like spending extra on.

Ootp could have stretch goals for retro graphics, uniforms, logos, stadiums, fictional stuff. Since it could all be outsourced to different artists.

Ootp could do all kinds of perfect team swag, and baseball type swag.

Plus Kickstarter raises publicity of games these days. That's why some companies are doing it even if game is funded because why not include extra if people will pay.
This is an EXCELLENT idea!!! I don't see how this wouldn't be a win-win for OOTP. Markus?? Matt??
Old 02-26-2020, 01:39 AM   #19
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
I posted something about a real audio PBP in the OOTP 21 wish-list, and in another thread on OOTP 20's general forum; I also certainly understand that if this ever makes into the game, it is a longer-term item.

In that post I mentioned what caught my attention was coming across a video of the Tony LaRussa Baseball 1996 PC game on YouTube. That game's audio PBP really held-up and candidly, seemed better than the current MLB The Show PBP I compared it to on YouTube.

I think the key there is that Tony L's game avoided the pitfalls of all of that color commentary in "The Show", and basically stuck with the actual PBP. Anyway, it was just really well-done, and as someone who plays-out all of his games, this would be a nice option to have at some point.
Here's Old Time Baseball which uses the LaRussa game engine.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EDVDwY376047TU

Remember too this game was designed for DOS 6.x. Not even compatible with Win 3.x which was out at the time.

Last edited by Brad K; 02-26-2020 at 01:41 AM.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:07 AM   #20
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Mel Allen announcing Old Time Baseball somebody made in one pitch mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nNSLV5DmYU
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote