Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 05-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
1B2B3BSS
Bat Boy

Pittsburgh Finches (former Pirates), start 2020

Two things first:

1. I'm new to baseball, so I will make mistakes, and yes, English isn't my first language.

2. Yes, it's a rebrand from Pirates to Finches. Don't know why, it just felt nice. Of course it's txranger who made the logo.

C: Hedges (Wolters)
1B: Bell (Goodrum)
2B: Frazier (Goodrum/Mendick)
SS: Newman (Goodrum/Mendick)
3B: K.Hayes (Mendick)
RF: Reynolds (K.Lewis)
CF: Dyson/Heredia
LF: Mallex Smith (Lewis)

Starting rotation: Musgrove, Keller, T.Williams, Burnes, Stratton

Bullpen (yes, in need of more lefties): Weiman, Devin Williams, Crick, Wingenter, Santana, Brandon Brennan, Feliz, Burdi

Injured: Taillon (starter, out all year)

Most noticeable players traded away: Chris Archer, Gregory Polanco, Richard Rodriguez, Luke Maile, Keone Kela, Kevin Kramer, Colin Moran, Jose Osuna, Jason Martin, Dovydas Neverauskas, JT Riddle

Most noticeable players traded to the farm system: Aaron Fletcher, Noelvi Marte, Penn Murfee, David Bednar, Dylan Lee, Joe Barlow, Cal Quantrill, Allen Cordoba

Strengths: Mitch Keller as the future #1 and the prospects in the infield. Marte has 4-5 star potential as 2B, Peguero 3,5-4 star potential as SS, Oneil Cruz 4-5 star potential as 3B, Cole Tucker 3-3,5 star potential as 2B/SS.

There are also no bad contracts on the team, and we've started to aquire a lot of young-ish pitchers that might work out.

Weaknesses: The budget, of course. I can barely afford one huge contract if I want to pay enough for scouting and development.

Another problem: no big talent at the catcher position (well, one who could be decent, but he's 16), and no huge talent in the outfield.

Kyle Lewis, Reynolds, Cal Mitchell, Swaggerty, Jasiah Dixon, Juan Pie, Lolo Sanchez, and Sammy Siani are the outfielders 25 years or younger who have 2,5-3 star potential, and right now none of them are guaranteed to really make it.

Last edited by 1B2B3BSS; 05-24-2020 at 05:20 PM. Reason: I posted it too soon
1B2B3BSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
1B2B3BSS
Bat Boy

20 game report (since I play every single game)
Series
9 wins, 11 losses

Rays: 1-2 L
Cubs: 0-3 L
Reds: 3-0 W
Cubs: 2-2
Orioles: 0-3 L (don’t ask)
Diamondbacks: 2-1 W
Dodgers: 1-0 W (so far)

Noticeable changes: Heredia got injured for six weeks, so we claimed Mikie Mahtook off waivers. Backup LF/CF, good defense, and some power that we are desperate for, but I'm not sure he will be here for more than a few weeks/months. Kyle Lewis is back att AAA because he didn't perform (in a small-ish sample size).

Positives: A lot of very good pitching. Stratton is the only starter not performing very well, and we have at least four players in the bullpen that looks great so far (Wingenter, Devin Williams, Feliz, Brennan).

We look like a true .500 team, although I’m not putting any money on that sticking around.

No player is perfect so far, but Kevin Newman (.328/.382) and Adam Frazier (.320/.378/2 HR) have awesome bats. A minus on Frazier for making too many errors. Mallex Smith might get the stealing record if he continues like this (23 SB/3 CS). Niko Goodrum has performed very well as utility guy (but in a small-ish sample size).

Negatives: A couple of disaster bullpen performances, otherwise we would’ve been .500+. We were for example up 7-0 vs Cubs, but Nick Burdi and Edgar Santana blew that. Both of them have also made one or two other terrible performances in games that we lost because of them.

Dyson started the season hitting 2 out of 25 AB, but he has turned it around and is now .212/.281, so he will continue to play due to his defense. Hedges is the biggest problem: .149/.245. He can't continue like this.

In general, the players from the bench (Kyle Lewis, Tony Walters, Danny Mendick) have been bad (except Goodrum). So most of the new guys that I traded for looks bad, but it's still early and some of them are young-ish (and most of them not relevant for the future).

Questions: Josh Bell and Ke’Bryan Hayes.

Bell will probably be traded this year, but he’s not the dominant beast I want him to be. He’s slightly worse than last season, especially when it comes to home runs. He’s also made a few errors.

Hayes is great in defense, but he’s hitting .196 despite a good start to the season.

Biggest thing for the future: Trades

I won’t do it yet, but I have at least three players that a lot of teams would love to have: Frazier, Bell, and Burdi. I can get great return by trading them. The question is: who should I prioritize to get?

I’m thinking Kirilloff (I have zero big outfield prospects - and it's a bonus that he’s from Pittsburgh), Keibert Ruiz (pretty much zero good catcher prospects), Jasson Dominguez, or something like that. I might even get two great talents. I would love to get a great pitcher prospect, someone like Graterol or maybe someone a little less hyped, but everyone is asking for too much for them right now.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
1B2B3BSS
Bat Boy

Games 21-40, season 2020, record 21-19, 1st in NL Central

Dodgers: 2-1
Brewers: 3-0
Dodgers: 1-2
Cubs: 2-1
Marlins: 1-2
Yankees: 2-0
Phillies: 1-2
Cardinals: 1-0 (so far)

So... we can reach the playoffs? With a team that has a salary budget of 31 million dollars? The second best team in NL Central is Reds (19-22).

Player movements (ignoring smaller parts)

In: Alex Kirilloff (RF), Sergio Romo (reliever), Joey Wendle (infield), Nate Lowe (1B), Jonah Heim (catcher), Franchy Cordero (RF/LF)

Out: Josh Bell (1B), Edgar Santana (reliever), Danny Mendick (infield)

I took a swing. I knew Josh Bell probably was a bit too old (and expensive) for the things we want to do, and it all made a lot of sense.

We are desperate for huge talents in the outfield, Kirilloff is from Pittsburgh, and he was by far the best talent we could aquire with Bell.

When it comes to the Twins: DH Nelson Cruz is out 2-3 months with a broken hand, and 1B Sano is terrible this year. They needed Bell, plus they got rid of Sergio Romo who has an expensive contract and was awful for them this year.

The thing is, it looks even better now for us this year. Romo is decent for us (small sample size). Joey Wendle is great with his bat, despite (originally?) being a backup player with no future here. Nate Lowe is AMAZING so far, despite just costing us a terrible Santana + a meh Mendick. Lowe:

56 PA, 12 R, 20 H, 8 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR, 15 RBI, 4 BB, .392/.429/.882, 242 OPS+.

He himself decides his future here: he doesn’t have superstar potential, but he's young-ish and we don’t have a great 1B talent (unless Mason Martin really hits off). He was the closest we could get to a cheap version of Josh Bell, and we were desperate for some sort of power bat.

The bad parts the last 20 games

Catchers are still terrible with the bat.

Our bullpen is still crazy up-and-down. Nick Burdi: 4 saves, 4 blown saves with three of them in 3+ run leads, 6.17 ERA, and he should be our by far best reliever/closer…

Our scout seems to think a lot of our young players are getting worse. Don’t know why. I have decent staff and spend a ton of money on player development.

How the team looks like right now

Catcher: Hedges/Wolters (both have terrible bats)
1B: Lowe (fantastic)
2B: Frazier (pretty great)
3B: Wendle/Hayes (Wendle great, Hayes awful bat)
SS: Newman (hot and cold)
Utility: Wendle/Goodrum (both are doing well)

LF: Reynolds (hot and cold)
CF: Mallex Smith (temporarily - not good enough arm for CF)
RF: Cordero (pretty OK)
Bench: Dyson (awful bat - great defense)/Mahtook (hasn't worked out)

Starters: Musgrove, Keller, T.Williams, Burnes, Stratton (awful-awful-awful)

Bullpen: Weiman (only leftie), D.Williams (superb), Romo, Crick, Wingenter (superb), Brennan, Feliz (awful), Burdi (awful)

Stats etc. (NL + AL)

Mallex Smith, 6 stolen bases in one game vs Yankees. First time that happened since 2009.
Mallex Smith, 2nd in runs.
Mallex Smith, 1st in stolen bases (53! Only caught 5 times. Projected: 215…)
Mitch Keller, 4th in WHIP
Mitch Keller, 5th in BABIP
Adam Frazier, 5th in double plays
Adam Frazier, 3rd in doubles

No team with fewer home runs (31 - despite Nate Lowes impact).
Only Giants, Royals, Marlins, and Tigers have fewer RBI:s.
Mitch Keller, rookie of the month in April

Last edited by 1B2B3BSS; 05-30-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
1B2B3BSS
Bat Boy

THE FUTURE

This is more for me to keep track of everything, but this is how our farm system looks like.

Catcher

Oh boy. I only have Jonah Heim (2,5 star potential). 24 years old. Probably a future backup, but I like him: leader, high work ethic, above average defence, will get on base often enough.

First base

Nate Lowe (3 stars) - is he going to be the one here? Maybe. He has the power for it. He’s doing great at MLB level at the moment. Mason Martin (21 years, 2,5 stars) has a lot of power and discipline, but that’s it. A project that might work out, but not someone I can count on now.

Second base

Noelvi Marte (18 years, 4-5 stars) was the big piece in the Gregory Polanco trade with Mariners. They didn’t rate him at all. He can become a true star, he’s ranked #44 at the moment, with above average potential on pretty much everything, but he’s got a long way to go. He can also play shortstop.

This is the position with the most options. Cole Tucker (23 years, 3 stars) is not doing good now, but he will get on base and have good defense if he gets to his potential. Stephen Alemais and Allen Cordoba are 24-25 years old, 2,5 star potentials. Never gonna be stars, but not ruled out to be short term starters.

Junior Sanchez (17 years, 2,5-3 stars) was given to me for taking on a few small but bad Marlins contracts. He still has a chance to be an average starter. I have several guys like this at most positions, 17-18-19 with ”maybe” potential, but he’s the one I think looks best right now.

Third base

Yeah, Dylan Busby (24 years, 2,5 stars) can be a nice bench player, but here it’s all about Oneil Cruz (21 years, around 4 stars). I’m hoping he becomes one of my star bats, plus he’s got some other nice qualities as well.

Ke’Bryan Hayes is already at MLB level. Great defense, but his bat isn’t working. I will still give him a lot more chances, though. If he works out, Cruz might be moved to 1B.

Shortstop

Marte, Tucker, and Cruz can all play here, but I think we will try Liover Peguero (19 years, 3 stars). Strong start at the season at A+ level.

If he gets his defense a bit better (now: 55 at everything except range at 60-65), he could be what we really want. Should have an average bat if everything goes well. He’s not perfect for that crucial role, but I’m still hoping…

Kevin Newman (26 years, 2,5 stars) is up and down with his performances as our starter in MLB. Don’t think he will stay as a starter for several years.

Outfield

I’m putting them all in the same category, because I don’t know who might end up where.

Kyle Lewis (24 years, 2,5 stars) - some extra pop, but he’s not performing. I paid some to get him, because he was great in a Mariners save I did, but so far he’s one of the biggest disappointments. But great personality and good enough defense.

Cal Mitchell (21, 2,5 stars) - nothing special. Slow, not a great defender, the bat could be average but I’m not sure it can be more than that.

Lolo Sanchez (21 years, 2,5 stars) - speed, elite defender, can get on base. Never gonna be a star, but might be able to do what we want from a CF.

Sammy Siani (19 years, 2,5 stars) - too early to tell. 60-65 defense, except a 50 arm. Pretty fast, but no power in the bat.

Travis Swaggerty (22, 2,5-3 stars) - 55-65 defense. Great work ethic and discipline. I’m giving myself more time to figure out if he will be a potential starter or a trade bait. Not 100% sold on him. I want my CF to be an even better defender.

Alex Kirilloff (22 years, 3,5-4 stars) - He’s not the greatest defender, but his contact potential is 75-80 and everything else with his bat can also be 50-60.

Bryan Reynolds (25 years, 3 stars) - already at MLB level. A cheaper version of Kirilloff - not a great defender, but great contact and the rest of his bat is also good.

Pitchers

I’m mostly ignoring potential relievers, because they are impossible to predict (and I don’t have a super candidate).

Mitch Keller (25) is our projected #1 starter. I love him. Ranked #23.

Tahnaj Thomas (soon 21 years) is our biggest prospect after that. His potential according to my scout: 60 stuff, 45 control, 70 fastball, 70 curveball, 60 changeup. OSA rank him 5-10 higher on everything. Power pitcher at 97-99 MPH and 60 stamina. #71 prospect.

Corbin Burnes (25) is already at MLB level. He was the big piece back in the Chris Archer trade (a lot of pieces in that trade). It really seems like he has all tools to be an awesome mid starter, and he’s great so far this season, but he needs to continue to show it.

Santiago Flores (20 years). He’s pretty much a copy of Tahnaj Thomas, but he only has 40 stamina, so maybe he will mostly be a long reliever?

Braxton Ashcraft (20), Michael Burrows (20), Quinn Priester (19), Brennan Malone (19)… My scout isn’t high on any of them, but other teams seems to like them. I will keep them and see how things turn out.

Cal Quantrill (25 year), Penn Murfee (26), Brandon Waddell (soon 26), Enoli Paredes (24), James Marvel (26), JT Brubaker (26), Cody Bolton (21), Blake Givens (24)… I don’t know. 2,5 star potential pitchers. Maybe a couple of them could be back end starters.

Joe Musgrove (27) is our first starter now. We will see how long we can afford to keep him, and if he fits with our window. This is his fifth year at MLB level. Is he going to continue to be a ”4 ERA in a good year, 4,5-4,75 ERA in a bad year” player?

Devin Williams (25) is the only reliever I’m mentioning. He’s killing it with his 80 stuff, 80 fastball, and 80 changeup. His only problem is that he walks too many, but still: 0.87 ERA, 0.92 WHIP in over 20 innings so far this year in MLB.

Possible team with no other new players

Catcher: ???
1B: Lowe/Martin(/Cruz?)
2B: Marte
SS: Peguero
3B: Cruz
Bench: Hayes (3B), Tucker (2B/SS), Heim (catcher)

RF: Kirilloff
CF: Lolo Sanchez
LF: Reynolds
Bench: Swaggerty/Siani and Lewis?

Starters

#1: Keller
#2: Thomas
#3: Burnes
#4: Ashcraft/Burrows/Priester/Malone?
#5: Quantrill/Murfee/Bolton/…

Long reliever: Flores
Closer: Devin Williams
Old 06-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
1B2B3BSS
Bat Boy

Games 41-61, season 2020, record 31-30, 1st in NL Central

Cardinals: 3-0
Mets: 1-3
Cubs: 2-1
Giants: 1-3
Reds: 1-2
Cardinals: 1-2

Reds: 2-0

Trade: Chris Stratton (SP) and Michael Feliz (RP) out, in exchange for Brett Conine (RP/emergency starter).
Notable draft picks: Asa Lacy (SP, #7), Drew Bowser (SS, #33), Cole Wilcox (SP, #45).

In terms of value, I could’ve gotten more, but both Stratton and Feliz performed like pure garbage. Feliz has struggled for a long time in MLB. The tools are there, the performances are not.

Conine? I love him. An 11th round pick in 2018 that has performed insanely well at every level and quickly got himself to MLB. So far this year he’s a legit good long reliever at MLB level, a type of player I lacked. This also makes James Marvel our new fifth starter. I’m not sold on him, but he could be decent. He turns 27 this year, so probably make-or-break time.

The good things

At one point, we were under .500 and we still were first in the division.

Several pitchers continues to play well/really well. Mitch Keller, Corbin Burnes, Sergio Romo, Trey Wingenter, Devin Williams, Brandon Brennan…

The position player that’s on another level is Adam Frazier. He’s calculated to get 7.5 million dollars in arbitration. If he continues like this he’s a 7+ WAR guy. I’m not sure I want to pay that, and since Cole Tucker is no longer awful at AAA-level (and he is furious about not playing in MLB) I might trade Frazier at the deadline and then give Tucker a go.

Franchy Cordero has been cheap and nice addition. He’s a starter because there is no way he can be on the bench right now. Hitting around .300 and one of few outfielders with a good arm.

The big talents at minor league level is doing good/great. Noelvi Marte, Oneil Cruz, and Liover Peguero - our future infield - are crushing it, all with a sample size of about 150-170 AB. RF Kirilloff is starting to really hit it off at AAA level as well.

The bad things

We still can’t hit homers. Not even a little bit. Even Nathan Lowe is getting cold after an awesome start.

Ke’Bryan Hayes just can’t get close to having an MLB bat. At one point, he had six hits and a walk in 65 PA. I’m a bit scared to move him down, but maybe that’s the way to go.

The question marks

Should I’ve gone with Asa Lacy? He was BPA, but expensive and I’m not sure about him.

Should I really go for the playoffs? Either I make some cheap but decent short term trades, or I'm selling high on some starters. I don't want to do nothing.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:33 PM   #6
Chidi29
Minors (Double A)

Lacy was the right pick IMO. Thanks for the update!
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote