Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support > Earlier versions of OOTP: Closed or Claim Fixed

Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

BZ 1884: Online league draft & release issue

This still happens. Two teams, including mine, in my 9.1.6 online league had it happen with our first OOTP9 draft a few days ago. Everyone in the league either used the personal draft list or the AI to select their teams. My AI selected players were not released. My personal draft list guys, basically the first three rounds of the draft, were released. More than once. We can't get them to remain on my team.

The fact that this bug still exists is BS. I don't criticize OOTP on a serious level much, but I am not happy that after six years with this product there is still a critical flaw in an important facet of the game.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

Do a little dance... post a little bump... try to get it fixed tonight....
Old 08-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Kai/Ash tipped me off to this and his post in another forum was:

"Hmm.

If that's the bug I'm thinking it is, it's caused by importing team rosters during a draft. The only "check" OOTP's import process has ever had is the game date - if an export file is from the same game date, it gets imported. So if an owner exports a file on the draft day but before the picks are made and then you import rosters after running the draft, then the game releases all the players you've drafted in the meantime because they aren't on the team in the export file. It can happen piecemeal, too, if you divide your draft rounds between multiple sims: if you're importing for Round 5, say, the presence of an export file from after Round 1 will cause all the players that team drafted in Rounds 2-4 to be released.

Before OOTP9, the solution was simple (albeit annoying): just don't import rosters on a draft day (since I stopped doing that several seasons ago, the GGNL/BJHL hasn't had any drafted players released). Since drafts had to be forum/e-mail run anyway, it didn't really make all that much difference. But with OOTP9's draft utility, that's no longer really an option, is it? You have to import rosters to get the updated draft lists.

Pending an actual fix from Markus*, I think the best way to minimize/eliminate the problem is probably to delete any export files from your FTP server after each draft "sim" and to simultaneously holler at your owners to make sure they always grab the latest file before updating their draft lists. As long as the only export files on the server are from the absolute latest league file, players shouldn't get released.

All this, of course, assumes that this is the same draft bug that OOTP has, indeed, had for years (and with which I've been successfully dealing). Since the BJHL hasn't yet moved to OOTP9 (we're just about to wrap up a season and do so), I cannot be 100% certain that this isn't some entirely new/different bug to which the above advice does not apply.

- Ash

*: There are really two ways to fix the problem:

1) Add a non-game-date-based verification to the import process (maybe a specific round/pick flag for draft days or something involving the timestamp of the last uplodaed league file, etc.) to prevent exports from before/earlier in a draft from being accepted.

2) Recode how the game handles releasing players in online leagues. Currently (as far as I can tell), the export files contain a roster list which the game then compares to the one the Commish has. If the export file doesn't list players that the Commish's copy has, the players are released. In other words, the release is only implied: the game basically thinks to itself, "if this guy doesn't appear on your roster, you must have wanted him released". If releases were, instead, handled by an explicit "release" command then, absent such a command, players would never be removed from a roster."
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

I couldn't find this already listed, so I logged it as BZ 1884 just to be sure. High priority.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

This is great information to have. Bookmarked for future reference. Thanks Nutlaw, and you can pass that along to Ash as well.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

There are those work arounds, but it shouldn't have to require work arounds.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post2567251

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
Prodigal Son
All Star Starter

I've posted on this several times in the past, and tech support asked me about twelve questions (at least one of which was relevant) and then ignored me.

For a franchise that has been around for so long, this game is still too buggy.
Prodigal Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

I'd have been making a much larger fuss about this but I was distracted for a month by work and nobody from OOTP was around much at the same time anyways. Still.... this needs to be fixed.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Sorry guys, but the developers have marked this as something to address at a later time.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Do you realize there's an easy way to fix this? Import RIGHT BEFORE the draft. Not DURING it.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Prodigal Son
All Star Starter

That's not a fix. That's a workaround. The devs probably have an easy way to fix it, but they're too busy coding some new feature that probably won't work right for two years.
Prodigal Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

This was claimed fixed for OOTP 10.