Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #761
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by james17 View Post
Hell, I'd settle for just knowing what quarter they're shooting for and it doesn't have to be set in stone.
Heck, I'd settle for just knowing what YEAR they're looking to release in.

Oh, wait...
Old 03-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #762
rmoons24
Minors (Single A)

Le Grande Orange, Who cares about that? I woulda thought you'd be happy that there is finally going to be a high quality football coach/management game. Instead you choose to find one of the smallest possible features and complain about it not being in v1.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:24 PM   #763
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoons24 View Post
Le Grande Orange, Who cares about that? I woulda thought you'd be happy that there is finally going to be a high quality football coach/management game. Instead you choose to find one of the smallest possible features and complain about it not being in v1.
LGO wants the OOTP development games to be as realistic as possible - while sometimes, that level of realism isn't necessary to make a good game.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #764
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I don't think that's what he said at all. He was only saying that he hopes the programming is flexible enough to add certain features to future versions without a huge overhaul. He specifically said it's not about the features being in version one, but about the ability to more easily code them into future versions. Markus has run into some issues here and there with this over the years, which is probably why he's bringing it up.

Last edited by Ruthian23; 03-14-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #765
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I think there some things in the CBA which by definition are realistic but would be no fun whatsoever in a game (and making it an "option" for the user to turn off/on isn't the answer).

For example when signing a new contract the club has to send the contract to the league and the league approves/disapproves the contract and tells the team the result.

Now that's realistic, but I'm never going to make the user press a button to fedex the contract to the commissioner, then make the user press another button to to find out the result. That would add nothing to the game bar realism for the sake of realism.

I don't know what issues or specific things OOTP has where a realistic aspect can't be added due to past decisions, but at this stage I can't think of a single thing where that would apply to BTS if we decided to add that feature in.

Last edited by Francis Cole; 03-14-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #766
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No. I expressly stated it's not a factor for the inaugural version. It's about inquiring that future possibilities for future releases aren't constrained by choices made now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
LGO wants the OOTP development games to be as realistic as possible - while sometimes, that level of realism isn't necessary to make a good game.
The core financial model is pretty important. There are plenty of prospective BTS users who would like to do more than the current-day NFL. For example, historical NFL seasons or entirely fictional leagues. If the game is limited in, for example, its financial system that limits what can be done in any historical or fictional league in future BTS versions.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #767
kg04
Bat Boy

Will we be able to create a developmental League for the NFL?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #768
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Will we be able to create a developmental League for the NFL?
Unfortuantly not; The college system (which is entirely different to the way OOTP deals with a college system incase that is what you are imagining) is in place of some sort of developmental league.

In future versions when we eventually will add historic seasons we will have to add NFL Europe etc.

Last edited by Francis Cole; 03-14-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #769
Danbo80
Minors (Single A)

When it comes to hiring coaches, I assume we would offer money.
Where does this money come from? Is there a certain amount allocated for staff hirings?

And if not then what determines what job a certain coach will take?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #770
kg04
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
In future versions when we eventually will add historic seasons we will have to add NFL Europe etc.
That's what I had in mind, something like the NFL Europe.

Another question, will there be some steals after the Draft in terms of Undrafted Rookies? Maybe not star players but guys who can contribute to a team.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #771
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
And if not then what determines what job a certain coach will take?
That was the biggest decisions I had about staff , as there is no money in the game (aside from the cap) - as has been exhausted over the past dozen posts or so, so let's not go over that again - I needed to think of a way to do it.

a)I could have even given each team an amount they could spend - which as we don't model any other financial stuff aside from cap would just be an arbitrary amount which made no sense to me.
b)I could have just let the user offer they want, with no limit, which made even less sense.
c)I could do away with salaries (for staff) and simply have hires based on the team/college and job position and not based on money.

I realise this may be the more contentious issue, but I hope once people actually play the game they will realise it works pretty well and as we have no cash as such it is the best solution.

Last edited by Francis Cole; 03-14-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #772
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg04 View Post
Another question, will there be some steals after the Draft in terms of Undrafted Rookies? Maybe not star players but guys who can contribute to a team.
Yes.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #773
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unfortuantly not; The college system (which is entirely different to the way OOTP deals with a college system incase that is what you are imagining) is in place of some sort of developmental league.

Could a Custom League be used as a minor league to the NFL(moving players manually)?
Old 03-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #774
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

I know the college level will not be fully developed by any means but will the higher prestige teams produce more NFL talent than others?
Old 03-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #775
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I am in the middle of working out the best way to do that currently.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #776
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Could a Custom League be used as a minor league to the NFL(moving players manually)?
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by moving a player manually there's no button which automatically moves a player from Team X to Team Y.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #777
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by moving a player manually there's no button which automatically moves a player from Team X to Team Y.
Player editor?
Old 03-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #778
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

That's one of the few things you can't do in it as it will have so many cap implications for both teams.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #779
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
I know the college level will not be fully developed by any means but will the higher prestige teams produce more NFL talent than others?
I think you need to have a good balance. Obviously, USC, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, all produce loads of NFL talent. But Jerry Rice went to Mississippi Valley State. Jared Allen went to Idaho State. Mike Iupati went to Idaho. Michael Strahan went to Texas Southern. Lots of schools produce NFL players.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #780
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
I think you need to have a good balance. Obviously, USC, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, all produce loads of NFL talent. But Jerry Rice went to Mississippi Valley State. Jared Allen went to Idaho State. Mike Iupati went to Idaho. Michael Strahan went to Texas Southern. Lots of schools produce NFL players.

Those schools still produced more NFL than the schools you listed. He's not saying every player should come from top schools.

If Texas Southern produce as many players as Miami, that's pretty balanced but totally unrealistic.