Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
Aube
Minors (Single A)

3 on 3 lines

Following suggestions about loosening up role restrictions on powerplays I previously made (for reference:http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=282090), I would like some clarification on the 3 on 3 roles as they are applied in game currently, especially since there is no role rating shown on the "4 on 4 / 3 on 3" page to experiment with.

3 on 3 shows the following headings above the following (when unfilled) player positions:
Forward Forward | Defender
F D | D

This implies that the first two positions are sent out as a forward pairing unit, with a seperate time-on-ice option than the single defender position. But for the player slot ITSELF it implies that it expects a forward in the first position, and a defender to be placed in the second and third position. In reality, both 1F 2D and 2F 1D are used in 3 on 3 situations depending on how aggressive a coach/team is, but I'd like to know what the GAME expects of me for these positions.

If I put a forwards in that second forward slot that's listed as "D", is it going to try to make my scorer play for instance a defensive defenseman tactic? Or if I put a defenseman there, will he be given a forward tactical role like sniper or power forward?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

EDIT: While I'm asking questions, for the "4 on 4" lineups, are there certain positional expectations here as well? I could put an LW on the left slot and a C on the right slot, or I could put a C on the left spot and a RW on the right spot. Does the game take this into account and so in EITHER case whoever is the C (and thus presumably has the better face-off skill) is the guy who takes the face-off, or should the C always be placed in one specific slot of the pair? And should the later be the case, does the winger's "sidedness" matter, as in if the C has to go into the right slot to take face-offs, does an RW placed in the left slot take positional penalties for playing off-wing?

Last edited by Aube; 10-15-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Aube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

The 3-on-3 roles carry over from the 5-on-5 setup, so the player will retain whatever role he has there, whether he's in a F or D slot. I'd like to model 3-on-3/4-on-4 in a little more detail, particularly allowing different F/D combinations, but there are some complications that'll need to be worked out first.

The two forward spots on 4-on-4 (and the single 3-on-3 one) are independent of specific forward position type - LW, C, or RW will all work equally well there (the AI will tend to try to put out at least one guy who can take faceoffs well, so likely a C.) The best faceoff man, regardless of position, will take faceoffs. There are some ratings adjustments for being on the "wrong" side of the ice, but they're based on shooting hand and current location; the actual positioning of players varies a lot depending on the individual tactic, so it's a little tough to describe a general rule that applies to all cases.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
Aube
Minors (Single A)

Outstanding, I appreciate the explanation. So if I understand correctly, whatever role a forward has on his 5 on 5 line is the same role he has on the 4 on 4 line so that (not that I would necessarily want to) if you put a 3rd line back-checking forward on a 4 on 4 slot, he will be a back-checker there as well. I largely wasn't sure if it was the PLAYER role that carried over or the LINE role (like whatever the first line LW is, say sniper, then no matter who you put in that first 4 on 4 spot is also a sniper). That makes a lot of sense if that's how it is, thanks!

Just for clarification, when you say single forward role for 3 on 3, does that mean it IS expected that you use a 1F 2D formation despite the time on ice setting implying 2 forwards? Or is it flexible enough that putting a forward in that middle slot listed as D will have him carry his offensive 5 on 5 tactic and play further up the ice rather than hanging back like a defenseman.

Thanks again for taking the time to clear this up for me, I love the tactical systems in the game, so the more I know how to work with it the better.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

The exact positioning of the guy in the second forward slot depends on the individual tactic, but in general it'll be the other forward that goes deep in the offensive zone, and he'll stay farther back, not quite in a D spot but playing very conservative positionally.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
Aube
Minors (Single A)

Brilliant, thanks again for taking your time on a Sunday to answer this stuff, it's been very helpful and gives me a better idea of how to match my roster expectations with those of the game.