Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #41
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Sorry it's been so long since I've updated this Dynasty. For those who followed it for the start, Duluth finished 4th of 6th in the North last season with a 68-76 record. This is my seventh season in the HBL (an online league in case you didn't pick up on that).

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 11-11-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #42
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

A Short-Lived Celebration: Simmons Out For Season
May 24th, 1989

OSHKOSH, WI: Despite putting the finishing touches on a three-game sweep over the Oshkosh Outlaws at 'The Hideout' tonight, there was little rejoicing in the Danger clubhouse following the victory which propelled Duluth into 1st place in the North League. As the players began packing their belongings to head back to Duluth for a showdown against South Bend the following night, veteran setup man Tom Simmons grimly walked out of the training room with his shoulder heavily wrapped up.

Simmons came into the game in the 8th inning to relieve Steven Hembrow with the Danger ahead 3-1. Before even a single pitch was thrown, Tom experienced some serious discomfort during warm-ups. After a brief discussion with the team Personal Trainer, Simmons was immediately removed from the game and replaced with Christ Hatfield.

The diagnosis? Torn rotator cuff. Out for the season.

Just to put the injury into perspective, Simmons was the receipt of the 1985 Reliever Of The Year Award after coming on as closer to replace the injured Bakhitiyar Davis. Tom, or "Barracuda" as they call him, has been in the league since 1978 and has been working out of the Danger pen since 82'. He has a career ERA of 3.94 and 9.9 WAR. Thus far in 1989, Simmons has boasted a 1.91 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 12.07 K/9, and 222 ERA+.

[Bakhitiyar] Davis missed almost all of 1985 a few years back, and we still managed the best record in the HBL and a trip to the Heartland Series. explained GM Gavin Giles "Is it going to hurt not having him in the bullpen? Of course, but our playoff outlook does not rely entirely on the performance of one individual. That's irrational.

Simmons has been replaced on the active-roster by 29 year-old minor league journeyman Andrew Wegg. Wegg was acquired in the deal that sent Joe Sullivan to the Jefferson City Jackalopes back in 1987, and will be making his debut on the professional roster after over six seasons in the Minor Leagues.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #43
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Standings Through May 1989

May 1989: Standings and Stats
Heartland Baseball League: OOTP Online League

Name:  111.png
Views: 190
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  1111.png
Views: 198
Size:  51.2 KB

Top May Performances:

Top Hitter: Michael Sanders *Won North Hitter Of The Month*
May Stats: .316 AVG, .374 OBP, 9 HR, 23 RBI, 6 SB, 1.058 OPS

Top Starter: Robert "Bhut Jolokia" Snyder *Won North Pitcher Award*
May Stats: 5-0, 1.60 ERA, .192 BAA, 6.7 K/9, 0.80 WHIP

Top Reliever: Bakhitiyar "Pasta" Davis
May Stats: 13.0 IP, 9 K, 10 Saves, 1.38 ERA, .156 BAA, 0.69 WHIP

Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #44
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Danger Dominance: Starting Rotation Can't Be Matched
June 11th, 1989

Snyder - Hembrow - Warren - Humphrey

Danger General Manager Gavin Giles has spent the bulk of his first seven seasons in Duluth attempting to create a starting rotation so powerful that it would go unmatched by any other franchise in the league. He drafted starters early, he always made sure to sign the best pitching free agents every year, and traded his powerful bats for potent pitching. Finally, that strategy appears to be paying off!

Duluth currently leads the entire HBL in starters ERA (3.16), BAA (.245), bullpen ERA (3.06), and defensive efficiency (.699). In both of the first two months, a Danger pitcher has come away with the POM Award (Steven Hembrow and Robert Snyder). The highest ERA of the Duluth starting four is owned by Steven Hembrow, who sits at just 3.54. Robert Snyder (the franchise ace), hasn't earned a loss since August of 1988 (20 starts ago),Alfred Warren hasn't allowed a run in his last 22 innings of work, and Steven Hembrow is tied for the league lead in wins with 10. Could their outstanding numbers be a product of great defensive support, or is it just that the Danger have finally morphed the perfect blend of starters for 1989?

"Offense is overrated. I've never set out to score runs, I've set out to prevent runs. The difference between an average hitter and a 'great' hitter is potentially only one hit every 20 at-bats. Yet for some reason, GM's across the league prioritize that aspect of their game. I'd rather have a lineup entirely void of stars if you give me 4 starters and a few relievers that I can count on every day to win ballgames. The rest will take care of itself." - Gavin Giles, Duluth GM

Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #45
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

A First For Bakhitiyar Davis
January 1st, 1990

For the first time in his long and illustrious career, Bakhitiyar Davis will need to compete for the closers rule in spring training. Davis has been a closer every season dating back to his years with the Jefferson City Jackalopes in the late seventies and early eighties. Turning 39 years-old on February 2nd, Davis is coming off a season in which he was voted as the North Reliever Of The Year for his 39 saves, .950 saves percentage, and 2.81 ERA. Nevertheless, he enters the 1990 campaign with several capable bullpen arms clipping at his heals to earn the opportunity to close out ballgames.

Davis is likely going to file for free agency after the upcoming season and it would be safe to conclude that Duluth general-manager Gavin Giles has already begun searching for his successor. Having Davis around for one more season in the setup role would allow the next closer to learn from one of the all time greats before his departure. Who better to teach youngsters the ropes than Bakhitiyar Davis himself?

"I'm ready to serve in whatever role I'm assigned" explained the always classy Davis "I'm old. It happens. My arm isn't what it was three of four years ago. I can't throw as hard and I've had to discover new and creative ways to get guys out. Though I still believe in my abilities, it's ultimately up to management. I just hope that if this is my last year in Duluth, that I can end on a good note and walk away with the championship. I've accomplished a lot of milestones and won a lot of awards in my career, but the one thing missing is a title. If this is the last chapter of my career, I hope I can walk away with a ring"

Although there still remains a possibility that Davis will still be closing in 1990, here's a look at three players that could potentially beat him out in spring training...

Tom "Barracuda" Simmons:

Don't talk to Simmons about patience, he's already mastered the art. Simmons has been with the Danger since 1982 and has been a reliable setup man to Bakhitiyar Davis every season since. When Bakhitiyar went down with a season-ending injury in 1985 (the year Duluth won the North), it was Simmons who stepped up and filled his big shoes. That same season with Davis out, Simmons won the Reliever Of The Year award. Talk about tough luck. Even after being named the best reliever in baseball in 1985, Tom was forced to give up his closing position when Davis returned the following season. Simmons is probably the most likely candidate to close games in Duluth next season, but after a season-ending injury of his own last year, management will need to be patient before shoving him into such a big role.

Francisco Murllio:

Murillo was acquired via trade from the Oshkosh Outlaws earlier this offseason and finished second to Bakhitiyar Davis in the 1989 North Reliever Of The Year voting. Murillo has a 100 MPH fastball and is coming off a season in which he posted a 2.17 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, and unbelievable 13.62 K/9. He's an absolute flamethrower and will give both Simmons and Davis a run for their money this spring training. He should be considered a serious candidate.

Chris "Biscuit" Hatfield:

The likelihood of Hatfield actually winning the race is extremely low, however, he remains a possibility.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #46
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Sorry everyone, I haven't been very good at updates lately.

My Danger made it to the Heartland Series in 1989 and lost to the Jefferson City Jackalopes in seven games. It was a tough loss, but it was nice to get back to the playoffs after a few seasons of Oshkosh dominating the North.

The Jefferson City GM has led his squad to the championship in back-to-back seasons.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #47
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

1989 Draft Review
January 1st, 1990

Draft Log: http://www.heartlandbaseballleague.c...aft_log_0.html

Round 1: Denver Pollard (Catcher)

- Pollard was easily the best catcher in the draft (sorry R.J Kemp) and his potential is huge. My scout is telling me that Pollard is ready for the pros now, but I'm going to keep him in Triple-A this year while Melvin Shields finishes his last year as the Duluth starting catcher. We have a history of rushing prospects and it's time for that to end. Nevertheless, I find myself really pleased with the recommendation because it means that Pollard is very-close to being major-league ready. It won't be long before he takes over as the best catcher in the North. He has the ability to draw walks, which is pretty rare at his position. I'm ecstatic about his arrival. I would've drafted him 1st overall if I had the chance. An absolute steal.

Round 2: Leonard Reid (Center Field)

- I consider Reid another pretty big steal given the fact that he's probably the best pure hitter in the draft this year. Other teams were drawn away from him for two reasons; no plate discipline and low work ethic. Power isn't his game either, but I won't hold that against him. He's a speedy and talented outfielder who batted over .400 every year in high school. OSA ranked him in the Top 10 for this years draft and I managed to steal him 23rd overall. Not sure how that happened, but it did. Props to me for being awesome.

Round 3: Rich White (Right Field)

I'll be honest, I was somewhat disappointed that I had to draft Rich White with my third round pick. When I submitted my lists, I didn't expect that the three players in front of him would all get drafted before my time on the clock came around. Nevertheless, he's still a talented player and could serve as a role-player in Duluth someday. His defense is unbelievable as scouts gave him a '10' grade for range, error, and arm. He can play anywhere in the grass, but he's better suited on the corners. His speed, ability to steal, and base running skills were all also graded as '10' by the scouts. Not bad at all. I could see him winning 10+ top fielder awards when you combine all those attributes. He's not much of a hitter, which is why he fell so low. He can't hit home runs and struggles to hit for average, but his ability to draw walks makes him serviceable. Plus, when he does get on base, he's basically an automatic steal. Singles and walks become doubles with him on the base paths.

I like him.

Round 4: Jason "Skates" Simon (Utility)

Simon was probably the best player to come out of Duluth High School this year, so it's nice to draft a home-brewed talent. He batted .335 last year, so he has shown he can swing the stick pretty well. Like White, he has ridiculous speed and should develop into a small-ball type talent. If he makes the major leagues, he's probably only going to be a bench bat or situational pinch hitter, but who knows? Maybe he'll surprise me.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #48
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

1990 North Predictions

1990 North League Predictions
March 2nd, 1990

1989 North Results: North 1989

1. Oshkosh Outlaws

As much as it may pains me to admit it, the Outlaws are arguably the best team in the North headed into the 1990 campaign. The organization finished in a tie for second in the league last year with an 83-61 record and has managed to keep basically their entire roster intact. The only key departure of the off-season for the Outlaws was reliever Francisco Murillo to Duluth, though they managed to compensate for the loss by picking up a pair of key relievers from Dayton in 30 year-old Paul Gardner and Robbie Andrews, both of which had ERA's below 3.00 last year. The duo will join an already impressive Oshkosh bullpen which includes veteran Connor Richards and much hyped closer Manny Alvarado. Also obtained in the trade with the Dawgs was catcher Elliott Yoder, who some consider one of the better offensive catchers in baseball.

The Outlaws rotation will be headed by Brant Young, a winner of 38 games in the last two seasons and studs Rod Mackenzie and Pat Best. 25 year-old Timothy Hill also shows some promise in the rotation, but he was used primarily as a reliever in 1989 and it's still uncertain where the Outlaws plan to use him in 1990.

Player To Watch: Timothy Hill -- will be trying to break into the starting rotation full-time in 1990 after an impressive rookie season. Hill has been ranked as highly as 6th on the HBL Top Prospects list. This could be his breakout campaign.

2. Bay City Lake Monsters

Lake Monsters general manager Scott Fite has been committed to developing a rich tradition of winning in Bay City since his arrival in 1983. Though the organization struggled in his first three seasons with the club, Bay City has evolved into an annual contender having been within six games of the Heartland Series in each of the last three years. Fite has been known to focus more on developing talent in his own system rather than relying on free agents and trades. The vast majority of the Lake Monsters crew are home brewed talents, including stars Mitchell Hilton and the undisputed best hitter in baseball Bret Hawkins. Hawkins has won the North's Top Hitter Award in two consecutive seasons and remains the only batter in HBL history to bat over .400 in a given season. Bret also shattered the single-season WAR record in 1989 with a mark of 11.5. At twenty-five, the scariest part is that he hasn't even reached his full potential yet.

Bay City is widely known throughout the HBL for talented bats and phenomenal defense (4 Top Fielders in 1989). They're going to score runs, but the real trouble is going to be prevention of runs. Though Bay City ranked in the top half of North teams in 1989 in most pitching categories, they haven't been able to match Duluth and Oshkosh in pitching over the last few seasons. What they lack is that star factor ace that you know is going to get the job done every night. Yes, Bay City does have 20-game winner Aaron Johnson, but keep in mind that the reason he won so much was mostly due to his run support. Johnson's stats were mediocre at best in 1989 (1.38 WHIP and 4.77 FIP). Furthermore, Johnson is 39 years-old now and not the pitcher he once was. Joseph Smith is probably the best arm the Monsters will have next year, which given his 1.48 WHIP, isn't saying much. Pitching is going to be what keeps Bay City from a championship in 1990.

Player To Watch: Brett Hawkins -- Hawkins will be looking to be the first player in HBL history to win three consecutive top hitter awards and could tie Collin Reese for the most in a career.

3. Duluth Danger

Duluth has always relied heavily on free agents over the years. Stars such as Steven Hembrow, Bakhitiyar Davis, Arthur Wells, Andrew Rodgers, and Logan Gleeson were all obtained via free-agency. Though given the lack of power free agents in this year's class, Duluth is really hurting in a few areas, which could potentially keep them from defending their North League crown in 1990. The Danger offense is probably the worst of the 'elite three' clubs in the North, but their also arguably the most balanced of the three franchises across the board. The team has a talented bullpen which rivals that of Oshkosh with Tom Simmons, Chris Hatfield, Bakhitiyar Davis, and newly-acquired Francisco Murillo being the most notable names in the group. The starting rotation will once again be led by 1989 Top Pitcher award winner Steven Hembrow and flame-thrower Robert Snyder, both of which were All Star's in 1989. The bottom half of the rotation, however, leaves room for concern as Alfred Warren remains incredibly inconsistent and Josh Jackson was never much of a star to begin with. The Danger also are seriously lacking in pitching depth. Once you get past the four starters currently on the roster, there really isn't anybody in the organization that deserves to start in any rotation in the HBL. The Danger are one injury short of having some serious pitching issues. However, if the four hurlers can stay healthy, the Danger might be able to propel themselves to the top of the division.

Player To Watch: Denver Pollard -- Pollard was Duluth's first round pick in 1989 and will begin the season in Triple-A. Scouts peg him as already being major-league ready. If Melvin Shields struggles and Duluth needs a new catcher, Pollard could join the club in 1990.

4. South Bend Silver Sox

There's no doubt about it, South Bend has some talent. The question is, do they have enough talent to compete with the likes of Oshkosh, Bay City, and Duluth? The answer, at least for now, is no. The Silver Sox currently rank as having the 2nd best minor league system in the North League and they definitely have an entourage of young talent on the verge of making an impact in the big leagues. The problem, however, is that most of their top prospects aren't ready to make the leap to the next level just yet. The one exception being catching prospect Ernie Foster, who appeared in a few games for the Silver Sox last year following some pretty big numbers in Triple-A. Foster is projected to be the starting catcher for South Bend next year, but it might be another season before the 21 year-old will be all-star caliber.

South Bend's lineup is highlighted by their young and impressive outfielders. Left fielder Gustavo Flores batted .348 with 38 HR and 107 RBI in just under 100 games in Triple-A last year. Speedy and talented Albert Bosel made the All Star team last year and posted a 7.5 WAR in 1989 and left-fielder Stephan Evans led the club with a .349 AVG. South Bend also has the undisputed best pitcher in the HBL in Henry "Mo" Morrow, who has never had an ERA over 3.00 in his four seasons with the Silver Sox. The biggest issue with the team is their lack of balance. They have plenty of star power, but once you get past their big guys, they're pretty empty. Their infield, while being defensively sound, is among the worst offensive infields in baseball). The bottom half of their lineup isn't going to be very productive and the same is true of their starting rotation. Henry Morrow is the only above average pitcher on the entire roster, bullpen included. Until the Silver Sox can solve their pitching problems, they won't be a serious competitor.

Player To Watch: Ernie Foster -- Foster will begin his first season as the starting catcher in South Bend. Given his potential, he could be the breakout player of the year in the North.

5. Rochester Reapers

When current Rochester general manager Robert Dyck took over the club two years ago, he knew it was going to be a project. Rochester hasn't been even remotely competitive since the early 80's and has never made a trip to the postseason in their 13-year history. The organization is on the rise though as they've had the first overall pick in three of the last four years. Their defense is among the best in the North and they definitely will be scoring runs in 1990 with a talented group of bats led by former 1st overall selection Matt English. One of the biggest issues with Rochester right now is that they've been burdened with a few bad contracts that have made it difficult for them to obtain free agents. Claiming Darrell Moon off of waivers from Duluth a few seasons ago was once of the worst transactions in recent memory as Moon is among the highest paid players in the league and has hardly played in the HBL over the last couple years. Then you have starting pitchers Ryan Schneider and Dusty Drake who were both signed to long-term deals years well before they lost their touch. Long story short, Rochester's starting rotation is really old and are mostly just there to fill out the rotation while management tries to develop younger and more effective pitchers during the rebuilding process.

Another thing that baffles me...the Reapers let all except one of their relievers from 1989 go in the off-season. I get they're rebuilding, but they really don't even have a bullpen right now and that should be alarming. There really isn't any adequate relievers in the minor leagues and Rochester is going to have a hell of a time finding decent replacements via free-agency. Saying they have the worst bullpen in the HBL would be misleading, because they don't even have a bullpen right now.

Player To Watch: Pedro Reed -- Reed is currently ranked the #1 Prospect in the HBL and put up some half-decent numbers in Triple-A last year at age 22. As soon as he breaks into the pros, he's going to be scary...really scary. He could arrive as early as 1990.

6. Cedar Rapids Rebels

The years have not been good to Rebels fans in recent years. The Rebels have finished in 5th place in the North League standings every year since 1982 with the exception of 1985 when they were dead last. I get they're rebuilding, but something needs to change before they're ever going to make a run for the North title. The organization has had some trouble in the draft, despite having early picks. Tom Cooper was a big part of the Rebels future plans when he was selected 3rd overall in 1984, but he never really panned out the way they hoped, despite extremely good work ethic. Honestly, the Rebels have just had some tough luck and I wouldn't say poor management has been a factor in their lack of recent success.

Good years might be ahead for Cedar Rapids, it's just not time yet. 1989 first-round pick Robby Rhyne shows some promising potential as a starter and the Rebels have had some good returns from recent first-round picks Mike Parker, Will Collins, Stan Harper and Eric Cates. Infact, Cedar Rapids actually ranked 3rd in the North In OBP last season with a .348 team average and 3rd in batting average at .277. The Rebels will need to patiently wait on pitching prospects Mal Anderson and Robby Rhyne before they can be successful though, because right now they have no pitching whatsoever in the rotation (5.46 team ERA in 1989).

Player To Watch: Stan Harper -- Harper's numbers have improved every year since he reached the HBL and he continues to develop into one of the best bats in the Heartland League.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #49
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

1990 South League Predictions

1. Poplar Bluff Predators

Although the vast majority of baseball fans have the Jackalopes pegged as the best team in the South, I've had my eye on the Predators the last few years and they're really developing into a force to be reckoned with. I'd say it's a toss-up between Poplar Bluff and Jefferson City, so I went with the underdog. The Predators rotation has what some consider to be the best one-two punch in the league in Brian "Ratbreath" McLean and Bruce Mcintyre. The two combined for a collective 14.5 WAR in 1989 and the pitching staff as a unit boasted the best team ERA in the Heartland League last season (3.48) along with the most strikeouts with 1,211. The rotation is rounded out by 38 year-old veteran Edward Roberts and 1989 All Star Peter Young. The Predators also became the only team in HBL history last season to send four starting pitchers to the All Star Game and each has signed on for 1990.

Perhaps the most valuable asset in the Poplar Bluff lineup is veteran Elton Caldwell, who questionably spent the majority of the 1988 season with the Canton Kernals Triple-A affiliate. Upon his filing for free agency at the end of the 1988 campaign, Caldwell signed with Poplar Bluff and showed the Kernals what they missed out on by hitting .341 in 1989 with a .454 OBP and 5.2 WAR. How's that for sweet revenge? The Predators also have one of the better offensive catchers in the league in 25 year-old Danny Moss. Past those two sluggers, however, Poplar Bluff isn't exactly loaded with offense. The cliché statement 'pitching wins championships' was definitively proven false last season as the Predators failed to score enough runs to propel them over Jefferson City in the 1989 hunt.

If the Predators can find ways to put runs on the board in 1990, their rotation should be capable of carrying them the rest of the way. Their bullpen is probably one of the worst in the HBL though, so the only way the Poplar Bluff should remain in the top slot is if they can keep their starting pitchers in the game for long periods of time. In this case, the less the bullpen gets to actually perform, the better off the Predators are going to be.

2. Jefferson City Jackalopes

There's really no question that Jefferson City will be the frontrunners in the race for the 1990 crown. The Jackalopes have won their division each of the last two seasons and haven't had a losing year since Joe Statfreak's first year of operation in 1983. Looking back at the 1983 campaign, the Jackalopes pitching staff was just a couple notches behind Poplar Bluff in most major categories; 2nd in ERA, 2nd in K's, 1st in WHIP, 2nd in OAVG, and 3rd in BABIP. Overall, the Predators arguably have the better pitching staff, but Jefferson City is pretty darn good on that end as well. The rotation will be headed by 1989 All Stars Mike Collins and Lewis Long and followed by three-time All Star Julio Gonzalez, big-time prospect Curt Holmes, and the consistent Dave "Doc" Garner rounding out the final spot. Curt Holmes is probably the most exciting newcomer in the organization having won 2 Pitcher Of The Year Awards in the minor leagues in 1983 and 1984. It's taken him a long time to get here being drafted out of High School, but the former 1st round draft pick is coming off a pretty decent rookie season.

Although I view the Predators as having the better staff, I'd still rather have Jefferson City's rotation due to their depth. They have plenty of guys that can pick up should injuries occur. The Jackalopes also have a very talented defensive crew as they earned four top fielder awards last season. Offense won't be a problem for Jefferson City.

3. Canton Kernals

The last two seasons have not been good for Canton fans who've become accustomed to dominating the South League. The Kernals went to the Heartland Series in five of six seasons between 1982 and 1987 and up until last year, had only endured one losing season in club history. The 1989 season was the second worst in the history of the franchise at 67-77, though that record was still good enough for 3rd place in the South.

Canton's pitching staff should be relatively effective in 1990 coming off of a season in which they finished in a close 3rd in ERA, 2nd in WHIP, and 2nd in BABIP. The pitching is there but the Kernals are struggling to find adequate offensive replacements for former stars Collin Reese, Albert Lineberry, and Elton Caldwell, each of which were central reasons why Canton was so good for such a long period of time. Canton, aware of the difficulty they had scoring runs last year, made perhaps the biggest off-season splash this year acquiring former Cedar Rapids star Richard Webster via free-agency. Webster had a 4.2 WAR in 1989 and batted .324 with 20 HR and 86 RBI's. He's probably not going to win MVP awards, but toss him into a lineup that already has Jose Woods, Joaquin Herrera, and Millard Wilhelm and they might just be competitive enough to remain in contention. The Kernals bullpen does rank in the bottom third of the league according to OSA, but with the arrival of 1985 1st round draft pick Jesse "Golden" Davis and Top 30 Prospect Keith Coleman to the big club they might be better off than some people would have originally assessed.

The Kernals have the pieces to make a run in 1990, but I don't think their chances are quite as good as Poplar Bluff and Jefferson City. My biggest issue with their starting rotation is that their two best pitchers last season (arguably) were Zane Carver and Logan Gleeson. Gleeson has been up and down throughout his career and I don't really trust him to be reliable. Then you have Zane Carver who, though one of the best starters in league history, is evidently declining in ability having one of the worst seasons of his career last season. 262 370 0470

Player To Watch -- Jesse Davis: Davis has been a Top 20 Prospect in each of the last two years and made his professional debut near the end of the 1989 campaign. At twenty-three, he looks to be the future long-term closer in the Kernals organization and may just take on that role in 1990.

4. Evansville Twisters

For over a decade, Evansville has enjoyed the presence of offensive centerpiece Matt Stover. But after thirteen seasons in the HBL, the Twisters are nearing a time when they'll need to look elsewhere for production as Stover continues to age and regress from his once dominant stature. Despite belting 26 home runs in 1989, Stover's WAR was at a career low of 0.3 as the 8-time Top Fielder award winner seems to have lost just as much ability on the defensive end as offensively. He's still productive, but not the type of player a franchise can revolve around anymore. The good news is that the Twisters may have found the perfect guy to succeed Stover in right-fielder Elvin James. James, like Stover, is a talented fielder with ridiculous power and a good eye at the plate (33 HR's in 1989). James is also very speedy and is a real asset on the base paths. He's the type of guy you can build a team around and if you throw him into a lineup with catcher Doug Sullivan and left-fielder Bill Thomas, you know you'll have plenty of power. The Twisters led all South League teams in home runs in 1989 with 166 dingers, but they also ranked dead last in both OBP (.317) and (.257). Power can only take you so far and home runs aren't nearly as effective when nobody is on base. If the Twisters can find a way to get into the middle of the pack in on-base-percentage, their offensive power should carry them to plenty of runs.

The pitching staff looks to be alright. Nothing to write home about. Poor defensive performances in 1989 inflated the ERA's of a lot of the starting pitchers making them look worse than they actually were. Aaron Kline is a sure-fire ace and one of the best pitchers in baseball, but after him there appears to be a pretty big drop-off in talent. Lee Wilson, obtained via waiver from Duluth, was a pretty serviceable acquisition in 1989 going 12-12 with a 3.80 ERA and 1.42 WHIP. He's not dominant by any stretch, but average. The thing I like about the Evansville staff is that although they only have one All Star, the rest of their starters are pretty average and they don't really have any big holes in the rotation.

37 year-old closer Larry Stanley will lead the Evansville bullpen in 1990. Be weary though, his 3.89 FIP in 1989 was the highest of his career and he's lost 4 MPH on his fastball over the last two seasons. Not the pitcher he once was, but still a decent reliever. Like their rotation, the Evansville bullpen is filled with a lot of guys that get the job done, but aren't necessarily dominant. Not many holes.

Player To Watch: Ron Webb (RF) -- Scouts really like Ron Webb who just completed his first professional season in Triple-A with some pretty decent numbers. Webb was the #13 ranked prospect in the HBL in 1989 and looks to compete for a spot in the outfield in 1990. Wouldn't be surprised to see him win the Rookie Of The Year award.

5. Dayton Dawgs

Dayton was far and away biggest disappointment of the 1989 campaign. A lot of baseball writers and experts had them pegged as favorites in the South League and the organization ultimately succumbed to sixteen games under .500. Frustrated with a lack of results, Dayton cut a mega-deal with the Oshkosh Outlaws which send a number of talented players elsewhere in favor of younger prospects. Gone is Elliot Yoder, one of the better catchers in the HBL. Gone are bullpen centerpieces Paul Garner and Robbie Andrews and gone is veteran Albert Lineberry, who was one of the biggest highlight acquisitions of the 1988 offseason. It's time for the Dawgs to start rebuilding and focus on the future rather than present competitiveness, because their club is still pretty old and increasingly ineffective. The two best pitchers in the Dayton rotation are Nate Mitchell and Terry Knight and both are well past their primes and have horrible contracts which cripple the organization financially. What concerns me even more than the lack of pitching is the lack of pitching prospects in the minor leagues. Their top two pitching prospects according to OSA are Bubba Cobb, who struggled in Single-A last year and Will Duper who's three years old than Cobb and still posted pathetic numbers at the lowest minor league level. The Dawgs did however, select a pretty talented starting pitcher in this years draft 3rd overall by the name of Lewis Randolph. Randolph had a 2.39 FIP last season with Iowa State and should be a Top 40 prospect once the prospects list is released on Opening Day 1990.

The Dawgs also weren't very good defensively in 1989, so don't count on them preventing runs by making good plays. Though the pitching is a concern, Dayton does have a pretty good lineup which includes Ray Gray, Rodney Mathie, and John Winters. As for the bullpen, trading away their top relievers this offseason really didn't help that situation. With a poor minor league system and an aging professional club, Dayton is a project right now and one that will require patience.

6. Springfield Storm

When the Storm traded outfielder Russ Moleyns in Duluth for an onset of prospects in 1989, it became clear that Springfield had entered into full rebuilding mode. Moleyns was the best player on the Storm and losing him is the biggest reason they finished last in the South last year. Nevertheless, it was a really good trade for the Storm in the eyes of many. They received a Top 10 prospect in reliever Norm Miller along with soon to be major-league ready infielder "Eye Chart" Olichwierxzuk. Collectively, Springfield has the 2nd ranked farm system in the HBL. They're going to be dangerous in a few years, it's just not time yet.

The Major League club is a different story. The Storm ranked second to last in runs scored in 1989 and dead last in team ERA (4.84) and runs allowed (748). The starting rotation is headed by Eric Jackson, who is actually one of the best and most underrated pitchers in the HBL. Jackson posted a 1.13 WHIP and 3.23 FIP in 1989. Don't let his 10-10 record fool you as he received little to no run support in most games. Jackson is only 25 years old and provided Springfield with the type of pitcher you can build a young franchise around. Augusto Ortiz isn't bad either, but given that he's the #2 man on the staff, that leaves room for concern. He'd be a solid 5th man on a good team. Apart from that, the rotation isn't much to write home about. Look for former Top 20 Prospect Michael Brown to make an impact in the rotation this year though. He's 25 years old and worked mostly out of the bullpen last season. He has ace potential.

Offensively, the Storm will have issues. Boyd Peterson is coming off a big Rookie Of The Year season, but him alone isn't going to be enough to make Springfield competitive. Cody McMahon is one of the better offensive catchers in the league and 1B Travis Watkins did hit 27 homers last year, so those two should be contributors also. Regardless, the Storm weren't very good at scoring in 1989 and that's even with having Russ Moleyns for half the season. Without him, they're really going to struggle. Robbie Tyler will be the closer in Springfield for the seventh straight year. He's always a candidate for Reliever Of The Year, so don't expect too many ninth inning blown saves. The Storm also picked up three decent relievers in Lance Griffin, John Henson, and John Hildred this offseason. Pitching isn't great, but they won't be as bad as they were in 1989.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #50
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Sad Day In Danger Nation -- Legendary Closer Departs
March 14th, 1990

Danger fans from all over the country knew this day was coming -- the departure of legendary closer Bakhitiyar Davis. Davis has been a fan-favorite in Duluth ever since was was acquired via free-agency back in 1983. The now 39-year old future Hall of Fame member known by teammates as "Pasta" has reportedly been shipped back to his original organization, the Jefferson City Jackalopes. Duluth fans had anticipated that Davis would depart following the upcoming 1990 season when his contract expires, but it appears management had other ideas as Bakhitiyar will not return for his final season with the club.

Pasta Davis has pitched just over 630 innings his professional career, striking out 670 with 284 saves and a 2.43 career ERA and 241 ERA+. He has also been nominated to 9 All Star Games and won 5 Reliever Of The Year Awards, most recently for his performance in the 1989 season. Bakhitiyar last played for the Jackalopes in 1980 when he won his second consecutive top reliever crown.

He will be sent out along with #60 ranked outfield prospect Dave Martin in return for starting pitcher Dave "Doc" Gardner and twenty-eight year old former Duluth outfielder Joe Sullivan.

"When Joe (Jackalopes GM) first sent me the proposal, I looked it over with my advisers and it was obvious the trade was a good transaction from a managerial standpoint." explained Danger GM Gavin Giles "But I hesitated, even countered the Jackalopes proposal, because I couldn't stand to part with our long time closer. The Duluth family is going to miss Davis and I wish him and Dave Martin all the best with their new club."

On his way out of the Danger spring training complex in Arizona, Davis was quickly stopped by a reporter and asked about his thoughts on the move. Davis replied, "I can't thank this organization enough for all they've done. Duluth has been good to me and my family over the last seven years and I'm fortunate to have been able to spend so much of my career with such a classy organization. I'm gonna miss these guys."

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 12-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #51
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

1990 Opening Day Roster

Danger Announces 1990 Opening Day Roster
March 31st, 1990

The Official 1990 Regular-Season Roster has been announced.

Note: All 'seasons' are relevant to Duluth. Represented are the number of years each player made at least 1 appearance with Duluth.

1990 Opening Day Roster

Starting Rotation:
1. R Robert "Bhut Jolokia" Snyder (6th season)
2. L Steven Hembrow (8th season)
3. R Alfred "Public Enemy" Warren (8th Season)
4. R Josh Jackson (2nd Season)

Bullpen:
1. CL Tom "Barracuda" Simmons (9th Season)
2. MR Bakhitiyar "Pasta" Davis (8th Season) *Pending trade to Jefferson City*
3. SU Chris "Biscuit" Hatfield" (7th Season)
4. MR Alan Simpson (6th Season)
5. MR Joe Buckley (7th Season)
6. MR Andrew Wedge (2nd Season)
7. MOP Michael Yates (3rd Season)

Catchers:
1. Melvin Shields (7th Season)
2. Matt McDaniel (1st Season)

Infielders
1B: Andrew Rodgers (5th Season)
1B: Arthur Wells (2nd Season)
2B/SS: Tom Ferguson (2nd Season)
2B: Jose Morales (7th Season)
SS: Mike Young (10th Season)
3B: John Newman (7th Season)

Outfielders:
OF Michael Sanders (5th Season)
OF Emilo Cruz (4th Season)
OF Sam Adams (8th Season)
OF Ricardo Rodriguez (2nd Season)
OF Russ Moleyns (2nd Season)

Old 12-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #52
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

1990 Spring Training Review
March 31st, 1990

Name:  STANDINGS.png
Views: 110
Size:  43.5 KB

The Danger finished with the best preseason record in the entire HBL at 18-6, which included an eight-game winning streak from March 12th to March 20th. With the one exception being the Oshkosh Outlaws, Duluth did not lose to any team more than once. I hate to get overly hyped about Spring Training results, but being so dominant in the preseason when we only played our backups exclusively for the first two weeks gives me some confidence headed into the 1990 campaign. The one disappointment this Spring was 1989 first-round draft pick Denver Pollard. My scouts keep telling me that Pollard is ready for the show but I remain committed to keeping him in Triple-A this year due to a rich history in Duluth of rushing prospects. I'll admit, I did consider letting Denver join the Opening Day roster as a backup, but given his struggles this Spring, I'm now even more sure than ever that he's not going to play with the Danger in 1990. Pollard batted 70 times and only had 15 hits resulting in a .214 AVG and .286 OBP. He also didn't hit a single home run and couldn't even break over a .600 OPS. He doesn't look major-league ready just yet. Give him time. He'll get there.

Top Starting Pitcher: RHP Alfred "Public Enemy" Warren

2-0, 4 GS, 16.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 18 K, WHIP 0.88

Top Offensive Performer: 1B Arthur Wells

20-for-48, .417 AVG, .451 OBP, .993 OPS, 1 HR, 10 RBI

Top Reliever: CL Bakhitiyar Davis

11.0 IP, 9 K, 0.00 ERA, .121 BAA, 0.36 WHIP

Injury Report

No players were injured during Spring Training!

Old 12-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #53
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Breaking News: Duluth Exchanges Power For Pitching
March 14th, 1990

John Newman -- Pedro Lopez

In a transaction that shocked and angered many Danger fans, the organization exchanged twenty-eight year old third baseman John Newman in a one-for-one deal to acquire starting pitcher Pedro Lopez from the Canton Kernels. Newman has been with Duluth since the 1984 season and has led the North League in home runs five consecutive years. In six seasons in the HBL, John has been elected to four All Star Games and ranks 12th on the all-time home run leader-board with 209 bombs. His career slash line is .280/.326/.556. He departs as the all-time organizational leader in home runs, slugging, OPS, VORP, runs, total bases, triples, RBI, and strikeouts.

Pedro Lopez has been a member of the Kernals starting rotation since 1986 and has a career 68-42 record, 3.80 ERA, 3.97 FIP, 5.88 K/9, 123 ERA+, and 1.22 WHIP. Pedro was a twenty-game winner in 1987 and has been nominated to a single All Star game performance. Though Lopez doesn't have the star power that John Newman does, pitching is known to be hard to come by in this league, making the swap worth it in the eyes of the front office.

In a statement released by Duluth GM Gavin Giles following the news:

"The Danger organization is not able to boast any Top 100 pitching prospects in the farm system and our ace (Steven Hembrow), as great as he's been, is nearing closer and closer to the end of his career. We believe that Pedro, along with current starters Robert Snyder and Alfred Warren, can provide enough youth in the rotation to keep us competitive for years to come. John (Newman), has been a legend here in Duluth and I acknowledge how difficult it may be for some fans to say farewell to our slugger. The Duluth family wishes John all the best with his new organization. I'm just glad he's in the South League so we won't need to face him very often!"

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 12-29-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #54
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Pollard Welcomed To The Show!
April 17th, 1990

Pollard - Shields

Despite previously informing the Danger faithful that catching prospect Denver Pollard would likely not be joining the show in 1990, Duluth general manager Gavin Giles opted to promote the 22 year-old Michigan University product a little early...or a lot early in this case. In Pollard's brief stint with the Triple-A Akron Skippers he posted a .245 average in 53 at-bats to go along with a .375 OBP, 2 HR, 7 RBI and .773 OPS. Pollard was ranked as the #56 Top Prospect in the HBL for 1990 and #3 ranked among catching prospects behind Jefferson City's R.J Kemp(24) and Oshkosh's Bill Henry (36). According to rumors, Denver was extremely upset with the organization that he was cut from the active roster during Spring Training. Giles has neither confirmed or denied those reports, but he has stated that his scouts were adamantly persuasive that Pollard was major-league ready and should be instated in the starting lineup immediately.

In other big news, Duluth has placed veteran catcher Melvin Shields on waivers and he has been designated for assignment. Shields has been in the league since the inaugural season in 1978 and first suited up for the Danger in 1984. Shields has 1,578 career hits to go along with five All Star nominations and two Top Fielder awards.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #55
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

April 1990: North Recap

Batter Of The Month: 1B Mitchell Hilton (Bay City)
April Stats: 84 AB's, .405 AVG, .462 OBP, 11 HR, 27 RBI, .893 SLG

Pitcher Of The Month: LHP Lee Franklin (Bay City)
April Stats: 5-1, 3.38 ERA, 3.32 FIP, 42.2 IP, 31 K, 1.05 WHIP, 127 ERA+

Rookie Of The Month: Bob Jones (Rochester)
April Stats: 79 AB's, .266 AVG, .318 OBP, 2 HR, 9 RBI, .380 SLG, 2 SB

Fielder Of The Month: SS Juan Jose Hernandez (Rochester)
April Stats: 1.112 EFF, +5.9 ZR, .993 Fielding %, 1 Error, 88 Assists

Team Batting Leaders:

Runs Scored: Oshkosh (137)
Home Runs: Bay City (37)
Stolen Bases: Rochester (44)
Batting Average: Oshkosh (.286)
OBP: Bay City (.352)

Team Pitching Leaders:
Earned Runs (Fewest): Oshkosh (77)
Strikeouts: Oshkosh (254)
ERA: Oshkosh (2.84)

Team Fielding Leaders:
Fewest Errors: Duluth (8)
Zone Rating: Rochester (+13.6)
Caught Stealing %: Rochester (52.8%)
Fielding Percentage: Duluth (.993)

Major Injury Report:
SP Tommy Shelton (South Bend) -- 11-12 Months

Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #56
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

April 1990: South Recap

Batter Of The Month: Travis Watkins (Springfield)
April Stats: 99 AB's, .354 AVG, .423 OBP, 8 HR, 24 RBI, .687 SLG, 2 SB

Pitcher Of The Month: LHP Julio Gonzalez (Jefferson City)
April Stats: 4-1, 3.72 ERA, 3.98 FIP, 46 IP, 31 K, 1.30 WHIP, 115 ERA+

Rookie Of The Month: RF Ron Webb (Evansville)
April Stats: 79 AB's, .304 AVG, .349 OBP, 5 HR, 9 RBI, .633 SLG, 8 SB

Fielder Of The Month: C Danny Moss (Poplar Bluff)
April Stats: 1.144 EFF, +2.8 ZR, 43.8 CS%, .991 Fielding Percentage, 2 PB, 2 Errors

Team Batting Leaders:

Runs Scored: Jefferson City (136)
Home Runs: Evansville (37)
Stolen Bases: Evansville (31)
Batting Average: Canton (.289)
OBP: Canton (.359)

Team Pitching Leaders:
Earned Runs (Fewest): Jefferson City (80)
Strikeouts: Poplar Bluff (217)
ERA: Jefferson City (3.14)

Team Fielding Leaders:
Fewest Errors: Canton (12)
Zone Rating: Jefferson City (+7.9)
Caught Stealing %: Poplar Bluff (40.5%)
Fielding Percentage: Canton (.988)

Major Injury Report:
SP Craig Wagner (Dayton) -- 10 Months
CL Larry Stanley (Evansville) -- 4 Weeks
2B Jose Acuna (Jefferson City) -- 3-4 Weeks
CF Boyd Pearson (Springfield) -- 2 Weeks
LF Kevin King (Springfield) -- 7 Weeks

Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #57
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

May 1990: North Recap

Batter Of The Month: OF Matt English (Rochester)
May Stats: 94 AB's, .404 AVG, .521 OBP, .755 SLG, 1.267 OPS, 9 HR, 29 RBI, 9 SB

Pitcher Of The Month: CL Cody Schmidt (South Bend)
May Stats: 2-1, 13 G, 13.1 IP, 1.35 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 8 K, 8 Saves

Rookie Of The Month: Tom "Six Pack" Olson (South Bend)
May Stats: 93 AB's, .355 AVG, .384 OBP, .613 SLG, 5 HR, 21 RBI, 5 SB

Top Game Performances

1. SP Pedro Lopez (Duluth) versus Canton: Score 91, 10.0 IP, 4 K, 2 HA, 1 BB, 0 ER
2. SP Mike Collins (Jefferson City) versus Cedar Rapids: Score 89, 8.0 IP, 13 K, 3 HA, 0 BB, 0 ER
3. SP Joseph Smith (Bay City) versus Evansville: Score 87, 9.0 IP, 7 K, 3 HA, 1 BB, 0 ER
4. OF Arnold Stephenson (Bay City) versus Rochester: Score 87, 4-for-5, 4 RS, 2 HR, 1 BB, 7 RBI
5. SP Luis Fernandez (Bay City) versus Poplar Bluff: Score 87, 9.0 IP, 13 K, 4 HA, 1 BB, 1 ER

Team (SEASON) Leaders:

Team Batting Leaders
Runs Scored: Bay City (310)
Home Runs: Bay City (82)
Stolen Bases: Rochester (93)
Batting Average: Oshkosh (.294)
OBP: Bay City (.354)

Team Pitching Leaders:
Earned Runs (Fewest): Oshkosh (179)
Strikeouts: Oshkosh (477)
ERA: Oshkosh (3.30)
BABIP: Oshkosh (.304)
SHO: Oshkosh (5)

Team Fielding Leaders:
Fewest Errors: Duluth (16)
Zone Rating: Rochester (+15.9)
Caught Stealing %: Rochester (46.5%)
Fielding Percentage: Duluth (.992)

Major Injury Report:
- SP Bob "Twilight" Harris (Cedar Rapids) -- Out 4-5 Months

Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #58
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

May 1990: South Recap

Batter Of The Month: CF Mike Randall (Canton) -- 2nd Career BOM Award
May Stats: 110 AB's, .336 AVG, .434 OBP, .998 OPS, 6 HR, 17 RBI, 0 SB

Pitcher Of The Month: RHP Zane Carver (Canton) -- 9th Career POM Award
May Stats: 6 GS, 4-2, 1.20 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, 45.0 IP, 33 K

Rookie Of The Month: RF Ron Webb (Evansville)
May Stats: 89 AB's, .247 AVG, .299 OBP, .748 OPS, 4 HR, 12 RBI, 10 SB

Team (SEASON) Leaders:

Team Batting Leaders
Runs Scored: Jefferson City (282)
Home Runs: Evansville (76)
Stolen Bases: Evansville (83)
Batting Average: Canton (.294=3)
OBP: Canton (.361)

Team Pitching Leaders:
Earned Runs (Fewest): Jefferson City (167)
Strikeouts: Jefferson City (431)
ERA: Jefferson City (3.14)
BABIP: Jefferson City (.285)
SHO: Canton (5)

Team Fielding Leaders:
Fewest Errors: Canton (30)
Zone Rating: Jefferson City (+24.4)
Caught Stealing %: Jefferson City (35.2%)
Fielding Percentage: Canton (.986)

Major Injury Report:
- OF Richard Webster (Canton -- Out 6 Weeks
- 1B Chris Ruffin (Evansville) -- Out 4-5 Weeks

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 01-15-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #59
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Duluth's offensive woes continue as we progress through the month of June. It's not like the Danger have been one of the top hitting teams in the Heartland League in recent seasons, but we've at least fallen in the middle of the pack and scored enough runs to make ourselves competitive. It's no secret that I value pitching over hitting, but at this point, I'd be willing to give up one of my star pitchers for a hitter. Although I am pleased with Pedro Lopez, I would probably take the trade back now if I could.

In my opinion the Danger are hands down the second best pitching team in the North. Hembrow is probably one of the five best hurlers in all of baseball and might even be the best in the entire division second to maybe Henry Morrow. The bullpen is okay, nothing to worry about. But our offense...my god. The Danger rank dead last in the HBL in runs scored, second last in batting average, second last in OBP, and last in the North in OPS. It's been a really crappy season to say the least.

I recently called up top 100 prospect Dave Martin to the big show (he will make his debut on Thursday's sim). He's a god of walks...literally (think Jason Varitek potential). Not sure how much that will help but hopefully it will make a slight difference. At this point I've given up on the postseason. My goal is to get back over .500, finish in the top half, and have a respectable season. That's all you can ask for.

Finishing over .500 is a big deal to me. I want Duluth to be viewed as an annual competitor and never call any season a 'rebuilding year'. I'd rather be .500 every year then win the Heartland Series and then follow it up with 2-3 losing years. Just how I'm wired.

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 01-15-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: ason
Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #60
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

1991 Opening Day Lineup Projection:
January 1st, 1991

It may seem premature but I'm pretty settled on who will be starting on opening day for the Danger in 1991. Here's a look at the starting nine!

1. Dave Martin, Center Field -- 2nd season with Duluth (2nd Total)
Looks to build off a solid rookie campaign in which he batted .339 in limited second-half action.

2. Mike Young, Shortstop -- 11th season with Duluth (11th Total)
At just thirty years-old, Young kicks off his eleventh season as a member of the Duluth Danger and is the longest tenured player on the roster.

3. Santiago Gonzalez, Third Base -- 2nd season with Duluth (5th Total)
Came over from Dayton last season and has a career .327 batting average. He has big shoes to fill replacing John Newman at third base.

4. Michael Sanders, Right Field -- 6th season with Duluth (6th Overall)
Only player in HBL history to record four 30/30 seasons. Ranked 3rd in the North in home runs last season with 32.

5. Andrew Rodgers, First Base -- 6th season with Duluth (10th Overall)
Was one of the few bright spots in the 90' lineup with a .407 OBP in 388 at-bats platooning with Arthur Wells. Also won 85' North Batter Of The Year.

6. Russ Moleyns, Left Field -- 3rd season with Duluth (8th Overall)
Also a former Hitter Of The Year winner (1987). Was somewhat of a disappointment last season but still had a 105 OPS+.

7. Joe Morales, Second Base -- 8th season with Duluth (8th Overall)
Morales isn't much of a hitter, but he has won two consecutive top fielder awards at second base.

8. Denver Pollard, Catcher -- 2nd season with Duluth (2nd Overall)
Pollard struggled both in the minors and majors last year but Duluth hopes he will develop into the star they drafted in the 1st round in the 89' draft. Regardless, catcher is undeniably the Danger's weakest spot in 1990 as Pollard continues to work out his issues at the dish. Former Duluth catcher and future hall of famer Melvin Shields is still on the roster but his days as a starter in the HBL are long gone.

9. Steven Hembrow, Pitcher -- 9th season with Duluth (14th Overall)
Hembrow is the second oldest player on the roster at 36 but is coming off a year in which he finished 2nd in the Top Pitcher voting.