Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #61
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Did you do something to specifically make those views ALWAYS appear? I have my own custom views (not named Batting Stats 1 and Pitching Stats 1) and sometimes they appear and sometimes the Stats 1 views appear. And sometimes it's an offensive view when I go to the pitching staff screen, and vice versa.
Bookmark them.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #62
BPS
All Star Reserve

I neglected to get OOTP 14 but imagine the following is still a valid suggestion. For those creating their own fictional worlds that progress through many decades:

Automatic changing of name sets, ethnicities, weighting of different cities as birthplaces or as sites of team expansions, size of players for newly created players in the game, and so on as time passes in the game.

A hypothetical, simple case: You should be able to specify that in, say, 1900 the average height of newly created players is 5'9" but will grow (slowly each year) to 6'2" by 1980. The game does this for you automatically.

Same thing should be done with name sets: you might have one name set appropriate for 1900 and one for 1950. The game should be able to automatically shift from one to the other (blending them slowly) as you move through time. (Much more work would be involved in specifying that certain names don't appear until certain dates but that's a detail that seems secondary and I wouldn't expect it to appear in the game).

You should be able to tell the game (in creation and later allowing edit if desired) that starting in, say, 1950 Black players will start to appear and then grow to achieve some given proportion of the players generated by 1980...and then, maybe, start to decline to another proportion (smoothly changing) by 2000. (It would also be good to give the option of having some things happen somewhat randomly so when exactly Black players or Korean players or Cubans start to appear is not known ahead of time).

Enough data should exist for many countries to implement the above in some "canned" fashion so you can simply check mark "allow automatic shift in names for players based on historical data" and "allow automatic change in size of players."

In addition, the game should allow the user to determine how these things shift over time and the speed with which they shift (say though manipulating sliders of some sort). I can't imagine the programming is hard to do (as I accomplish the same thing by exporting newly created players each year to Excel and changing names, place of birth, etc) using existing (or manufactured) data and then reimporting.

I understand implementing the above would depend on lots of data (for instance, average height of players in a certain year depends on the national origin of players and potentially race). But such data should be available for the major baseball playing nations of the world.

Last edited by BPS; 01-17-2014 at 10:17 AM.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #63
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Bookmark them.
Interesting. I never ever would've thought to try that. I might be out of bookmarks (at least ones associated with the function keys), but I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #64
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The bug that causes League Evolution to be turned on in leagues by default and 9 times out of 10 ends up ruining the first league started by someone new to the game. We've all read the posts. My league just expanded and now my schedule doesn't feature interleague play. My San Diego Padres just relocated to Queens.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #65
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
The bug that causes League Evolution to be turned on in leagues by default and 9 times out of 10 ends up ruining the first league started by someone new to the game. We've all read the posts. My league just expanded and now my schedule doesn't feature interleague play. My San Diego Padres just relocated to Queens.
Glad to see someone shares my opinion.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #66
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not a bug. Please do not remove league evolution.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #67
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
Read my post. I never once suggested that league evolution be removed. That would be silly. What I suggested is that it no longer is "on" by default. It simply ruins too many leagues for new users that don't no about it or don't realize they have to disable parts of it or all of it prior to starting a league.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #68
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

I think the referred to as a bug, is the feature that makes Evolution ON as default. which I kind of feel is a bit nasty. when I was starting to figure the game, and suddenly one year in my arbitration eligibility was changed to 2 years, and I had my whole finance messed up, it almost had me give up on game, because I totally had to dismantle my rebuilding plan...

so not remove it, but make it an Option you add voluntarily...

edit: DW faster than me, but i'll leave mine for my experience with it....

Last edited by le receveur; 01-17-2014 at 11:36 AM.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #69
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Instead you will get new players who don't get the full scope of the game available because good features are off by default.

I believe that you should have at ALL on and let people turn things off as desired.

Having said that, no matter which way they go, the real issue is education. Explain the options and what they mean as part of the set-up process... like a 'wizard' and toss the 'defaults'.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #70
le receveur
All Star Starter

the 'Mets' bug

it has been documented that OOTP is obviously programmed to make the Mets lose, and not perform well, even if you load them with all-stars. AI will even have suspicious behaviour just to make sure they lose...
Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #71
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

ALMOST FORGOT - A BIG BUG for people who play out the games...

When there is a Double-Header, many times (but not every time), once you play the first game, the second game no longer appears in your menu. The only way to play the game is to let the game start and then jump in. That means you can no longer set the line-up or starter.

YES you can go and set things in the 7-day or whatever that is, but you shouldn't have to do that. Just let the game appear in the menu to play, like the first game always does.

Last edited by rpriske; 01-17-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #72
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Read my post. I never once suggested that league evolution be removed. That would be silly. What I suggested is that it no longer is "on" by default. It simply ruins too many leagues for new users that don't no about it or don't realize they have to disable parts of it or all of it prior to starting a league.
League evolution should be a checkbox option when starting a new game (with the ability to change it later of course)

It 100% should NOT be on by default
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #73
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Instead you will get new players who don't get the full scope of the game available because good features are off by default.

I believe that you should have at ALL on and let people turn things off as desired.

Having said that, no matter which way they go, the real issue is education. Explain the options and what they mean as part of the set-up process... like a 'wizard' and toss the 'defaults'.
I agree about the education part. Maybe a solution to this problem would be to make the selection of on or off in regards to league evolution part of the league setup wizard. That way, the user will see it and be able to make the proper choice. Oh and sorry for the read my post comment. That was rather rude.

I see PJH beat me to the suggestion.

Last edited by David Watts; 01-17-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #74
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree about the education part. Maybe a solution to this problem would be to make the selection of on or off in regards to league evolution part of the league setup wizard. That way, the user will see it and be able to make the proper choice. Oh and sorry for the read my post comment. That was rather rude.
S'allright. We ended up in the same place. Make it part of the set-up... a question you have to answer.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #75
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

I agree on education, what I just feel is that there is so much to grasp with the game, like the fact AI doesn't know who Travis d'Arnaud is, and how you think he should behave...a feature like evolution being so non standard needs to come with a description of the implications... I like your Wizard idea... now if you can figure out how Travis behave...
Old 01-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #76
Pronkytonk
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
it has been documented that OOTP is obviously programmed to make the Mets lose, and not perform well, even if you load them with all-stars. AI will even have suspicious behaviour just to make sure they lose...
Mets ??? I thought it were the Indians ...
Pronkytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #77
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

OOTP knows numbers, not names. It doesn't know that the Mets and Indians are supposed to suck, which means that on the unlikely chance we have evidence that they do suck in-game, that would be a bug. But since we don't have conclusive evidence, we can't call it a bug yet.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #78
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

(Double post)

There are still a few legacy bugs in news stories. Stuff like the name Church showing up instead of the player's name.

Also, playoff home field / historical playoffs. Bugged ever since historical play was introduced.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #79
Snarf054
Minors (Double A)

I'm new to OOTP having only played 14 but one thing that I would like to see and should be fairly simple to implement is to have an option to over rule AI roster decisions. I like to play as GM only but I don't want to go through and promote/demote players constantly so I allow the AI to do so. However on occasion there are certain players I want on the roster or not on the roster and unless I take over full control the AI insists on reversing my decision every time. I also have issues with signing free agents in the off season and then the AI will try to run them through waivers at the end of spring training and they get picked up by other teams.

I just want an option to approve or deny these decisions made by the AI. Maye send me a personal message saying I want to send Player X to AAA yes or no? It wouldn't even have to be organization wide just between the ML and AAA would be great.
Snarf054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #80
hefalumps
All Star Starter

The storylines, which I really want to use, need a lot of work with regards to when they show up.

For example, I'm playing a league in the 1950s and I had a player have to retire because he got experimental eye surgery and it left him blind in one eye. Not such a big deal I guess - they were experimenting with eye surgeries in the 1950s - except it explicitly mentions the surgery as an alternative to LASIK. LASIK wasn't available in the US until the late 1980s.

Another story made a reference to a player marrying a supermodel from the modern era (can't remember her name) as well as mentioning Facebook posts.

So it'd be great if you guys could just take another pass through each storyline and shore up those date constraints to reduce the appearance of these glimpses into the future.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote