Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #241
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
It just uses the same roster that it would import automatically
It did do this.

What if I didn't want to use that roster? Is there a better way to do this than what I did?

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #242
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

The game automatically starts generating the league file once the last person signs up. If you are the last one to sign up then you can still use the time between when it finishes preparing and when it starts.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #243
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
The game automatically starts generating the league file once the last person signs up. If you are the last one to sign up then you can still use the time between when it finishes preparing and when it starts.
Oh, after it prepares? I thought the timeframe for setting rosters ended when the league started being prepared.

Man, that's a fairly long wait if you're the last to sign up for a 128 team...

Primary Team

Old 11-21-2019, 05:41 AM   #244
Ile
Minors (Double A)

I would love some non-quick tournaments based on geography/areas.

E.g. we have a daily AL West, Central, East and NL West, Central, East portioned out over the week where we only can use players from that division (based on todays divisions obviously).

Or based on the players nationalities, e.g. USA, Canada or North America/South America/Rest of world type of tournaments.

I want to be forced to not pick basically the same 12-13 players for nearly every tournament I enter.

Edit: Or height restrictions, weight restriction. Based on draft round picked, like only late rounders (outside of first 5 rounds).

Last edited by Ile; 11-21-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Ile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #245
FlaviusFlav
Minors (Double A)

Do the big tournaments start if they aren't full or do they just keep extending the start time? If they don't start when they are not full it doesn't seem like they are ever going to start.. not a lot of people are going to want to sit and waste the opportunity of playing in tournaments that actually start, at least as long as the whole system is fresh and new.

FlaviusFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #246
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

Has anyone had success in Cap'd leagues without Perfects?
I've been trying to use pitcher/hitters but I can't ever make headway against the all 100 pitching staffs and am considering giving up on the capped games. I'm FTP and the Young/Matthewson/Gibson/Fellers are crushing me.
Morgans Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #247
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgans Magic View Post
I've been trying to use pitcher/hitters but I can't ever make headway against the all 100 pitching staffs and am considering giving up on the capped games. I'm FTP and the Young/Matthewson/Gibson/Fellers are crushing me.
I would also be curious to see if any teams experienced any amount of success while incorporating a strategy focused more towards depth than the absolute extremes.

I don't necessarily expect a team of 25 65 OVR players to be successful, nor do I expect any strategy to work all or even most of the time, but I am curious to see if there is any room in the meta for teams built on value plays at all levels. If the meta for this mode is exclusively perfects then it isn't nearly as interesting as it could be because there would be a lot less choices that matter.

Primary Team

Old 11-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #248
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

The obvious flaw in capped tournaments is that there is a wide range of "true" values within the same nominal overall value. If live scherzer is a 100 then cy young is a 128. 99 Keefe is like a 120, the meta will always shift to those plays and pitching is king.

Last edited by dkgo; 11-22-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #249
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I would also be curious to see if any teams experienced any amount of success while incorporating a strategy focused more towards depth than the absolute extremes.
My first attempts were made with a roster of mostly bronze in order to have a full bullpen without iron and at least a competent backup at every position. It was totally unsuccessful but it was also a small sample size. I think it could work better with a few irons sprinkled in the bullpen and bench in order to have some gold/silver in key roles. I think the idea has promise. Sure, you will be shutout sometimes by the perfect starter, but so will the team with perfect batters.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #250
camonroe
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

My opinion is that a perfect rotation is the best strategy.

Perfect pitchers, especially the selected best ones, usually keep the score very low against perfect linups, and have no problem shutting down average ones.

If you face them with an average pitcher, they just need a few runs and it's game over.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #251
steamrollers
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I have had some minor success granted still needing a couple mid upper 90s pitchers to have a prayer. As I mentioned in the perfect Pedro this probably wasn’t the intended outcome when lower capped tourneys were created. They have clearly been exploited already by whale type rotations with their million plus starting rotations. There is no need to get rid of those tourneys but adding some more restrictions on new cap tourneys would be a good idea. Players who can’t field a cy young Walter Johnson etc etc rotation will get discouraged quick and interest in tourneys will fall quickly if it is just the elite perfect teams dominating low cap tourneys. It would be like a perfect league champ destroying silver league each week.
steamrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #252
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post

I don't necessarily expect a team of 25 65 OVR players to be successful, nor do I expect any strategy to work all or even most of the time, but I am curious to see if there is any room in the meta for teams built on value plays at all levels. If the meta for this mode is exclusively perfects then it isn't nearly as interesting as it could be because there would be a lot less choices that matter.
For depth to work you just need to steal one game (maybe 2 if their deep) vs the perfects. Then the rest begins to catch up to them. The studs and duds strategy (which i use) may seem like it works all the time but it really doesn't because if the series isn't swept or done early the rest gets you.

Ultimately in a short series/playoff both strategies are a bit of gamble. One you play for a stolen win and one you play for a short series where you get rest.

Last edited by macacks; 11-22-2019 at 11:37 AM.
macacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #253
steamrollers
Minors (Single A)

LOL the team that just won the daily low cap 1500, yes 1500, had a starting rotation of Waddell, Hubbell, R. Johnson and of course the runner up was the Blue Rocks who got the Perfect Pedro and has been terrorizing low cap tourneys. Something very obviously needs to be done, I can at least be somewhat competitive with what I have but I do feel bad for players that think they have a chance in this low cap tourneys and field a solid team but don't have the luxury of a millionaire club starting rotation
steamrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #254
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Perfect pitchers, and especially not live perfect pitchers. In fact, don't touch any live pitcher, ever, except for garbage roles.

Since you use some players more than others, it makes sense that some players should be better than others. This is why the all-same approach should fail most of the time. I have been hiding Harry Chitis and Pretzel Pezzullos in my rosters. Hey, I won once, must count for something.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #255
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

I feel the need to clarify... I don't begrudge anyone for having the top pitchers or for finding success with the capped tournament formats.

I merely want to gauge how flexible the emerging meta lineups are for capped tournaments. I may be disappointed in the way in which perfect historic pitching appears to possibly play such an oversized role and how roster flexibility appears to be less than I had hoped, but I don't necessarily believe that any of this means that anything should be changed.

Even if these pitching requirements hold true, it is still an interesting tournament format that, at least under certain circumstances, is worth playing.

Primary Team

Old 11-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #256
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macacks View Post
For depth to work you just need to steal one game (maybe 2 if their deep) vs the perfects. Then the rest begins to catch up to them. The studs and duds strategy (which i use) may seem like it works all the time but it really doesn't because if the series isn't swept or done early the rest gets you.

Ultimately in a short series/playoff both strategies are a bit of gamble. One you play for a stolen win and one you play for a short series where you get rest.
It's not a matter of depth or not, but having 4 perfect pitchers and a lineup mixed between 50-70 is far better than having all of your players in the 70s for example.

It's also up for the user to decide how much fatigue matters at all. When doing test 1625 tournaments the first one was won by a guy with just a backup catcher, every other starter played every game and even at 0% seemed perfectly fine in the championship series. So I copied that strategy, freed up an extra 40 points or so that had been used on backup position players to make some upgrades, and won the next 32 man I entered with just 10 position players.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #257
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I'm trying to get around having five starting pitcher when the fifth maybe will never be used because I can zoom through a best-of-five quick enough (hey, one can dream, right?). Four SP worked fine when stamina was lower, but it does not seem to work that well anymore (at least not past the first few rounds) and I have to junk all my rosters.

Does it work if I set a 4-man rotation and use a fifth starter in the pen set up either as:

Primary: emergency SP / Secondary: Long Relief

or

Primary: Long Relief / Secondary: Emergency SP

Does that guy actually get used as starter when the next starter-starter up is not sufficiently rested?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #258
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
It's not a matter of depth or not, but having 4 perfect pitchers and a lineup mixed between 50-70 is far better than having all of your players in the 70s for example.

It's also up for the user to decide how much fatigue matters at all. When doing test 1625 tournaments the first one was won by a guy with just a backup catcher, every other starter played every game and even at 0% seemed perfectly fine in the championship series. So I copied that strategy, freed up an extra 40 points or so that had been used on backup position players to make some upgrades, and won the next 32 man I entered with just 10 position players.
I agree.
That is also what i do and have won a lot of the tournaments i entered as well. i was merely saying that if the Depth route is the way you have to go then you need to steal a game so that Fatigue (or rest) plays a part in the series.
The tournaments i have lost (where i thought i should have won) have been because of fatigue.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #259
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

I just started playing tournaments and thought the cap 1625 was the way to go. My top cards are a couple golds and nothing better. I soon learned that without that killer SP rotation you are dead in the water. You can get lucky once in a while and win using a gold against a perfect but that is the exception. My thought that cap would level the field was very wrong.

I enjoy tournaments even though I have not had much success. Building lineups and then tweaking out what doesn't work is fun. Round robins can be frustrating also, the last one I did I won all games in 1st round then lost 1 in second, The team that beat me had a worst record than I did.

The tournaments are fun but I still see them as a work in progress,

Pine
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #260
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I'm trying to get around having five starting pitcher when the fifth maybe will never be used because I can zoom through a best-of-five quick enough (hey, one can dream, right?). Four SP worked fine when stamina was lower, but it does not seem to work that well anymore (at least not past the first few rounds) and I have to junk all my rosters.

Does it work if I set a 4-man rotation and use a fifth starter in the pen set up either as:

Primary: emergency SP / Secondary: Long Relief

or

Primary: Long Relief / Secondary: Emergency SP

Does that guy actually get used as starter when the next starter-starter up is not sufficiently rested?
One thing (out of more than one that might effectively do what you're aiming for (create a swing man)) you can do is set up a 5-man rotation...set rest to Always Start Highest Rested...and then they will forego the 5th man if the #1 is ready... If you are set on using #5 in SOME role if not starter then you can also turn on Allow SP in Relief, & pick whatever role you'd like for him out of the pen. Leaving the other 4 starters pen's role as None Specified often keeps them from being used in a relief role.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 11-22-2019 at 09:19 PM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote