Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 08-28-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
danielb
Minors (Triple A)

This Bothers Me..What do you think??

I have been playing OOTP since 2001..Played the early versions like crazy right up through OOTP 5...Got away from it a little bit and came back with version 8..It had changed a bunch and was far more advanced and took some getting used to..But of course it is a wonderful game and I am so glad Markus has provided it to us..Here is the problem..There are some things that just don't work right..The one that is on my mind right now is the Scouting features.. Two versions ago, the hardened users of this game advised me to play the game with scouting turned off because the scouting part of the game was a bit flawed..I recently purchased OOTP X and guess what? Still getting the same advice..That the scouting is a little screwy..That there are some problems with the way it works..There are some rating descrepencies and other problems..Here is why I am bothered: In theory, what the scouting feature is SUPPOSED to do is a great concept, and part of what made me purchase version 10..The brass at OOTP used it as a marketing tool to sell the game, pointing out on their website how great the scouting is..Well, it's not, completely..It would be if it worked..But the people that play this game just accept it's buggy-ness by saying, "well, just disable the scouting feature"..But that's not OK folks..If you bought a car and the windshield wipers didn't work, would you just accept it and say, it's ok...I just won't use them??? It is part of the game, it is advertised to sell the game, it should be 100% functional...How much better the game would be if it was..Instead of trying to make the game more complex by adding as much detail as possible all at once, the programmers should concentrate on perfecting the features they are offering as a selling point..It just bothers me..I am gonna start a new league now, but I guess I should disable the scouting even though I want to use it soooo bad..It just won't work right..oh well..what do you guys think??
danielb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

What specifically doesn't work with it? There are tons of OOTPers who use it and are quite pleased with it.

All I can say is turn it on and try it for yourself.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:04 AM   #3
danielb
Minors (Triple A)

Just one example...I can find many more.. http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...e-explain.html
danielb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Scouting in real life can be a little screwy. As for me I use it and like it. It adds a layer of immersion and a fog of war.

Some good reading here..

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...uts-still.html
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Scouting is an optional feature. There are wide ranging opinions on its usefulness and accuracy. Since it is optional, turning it on or off is your call. One can't say however that the game is broken or dysfunctional regarding scouting.

Far more important IMO are the core baseball issues (AI, basic strategy and other flaws that affect results and stats. These are not options.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
One can't say however that the game is broken or dysfunctional regarding scouting.
Even when the same scout's report gives two vastly different assessments like in the example he linked to?

I have a bigger issue with scouts when it comes to playing in commish mode (you can't see overall ratings), but I think it's certainly fair to say scouting is "broken or dysfunctional" when it comes to stuff like that. I only wonder how widespread it is (I don't know as I don't play with them, but I'd like to). That is, does it happen for a lot of players or only very rarely? Even if they can't easily fix it, it'd be nice to at least hear, "guys, follow the one on the ____ page. I don't know what's going on with the other one".
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
mm7607
All Star Reserve

The scouting thing that bothers me most is WHY does the over all rating and potential ratings shut off? I use these but cant with scouts on. Also I don't buy the idea that real life is screwy so its ok in the game. Maybe some might like the ratings to be hap hazard but I want them to be accurate so I can know at a glance how good or bad a player is.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Pirate Fan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm7607 View Post
The scouting thing that bothers me most is WHY does the over all rating and potential ratings shut off? I use these but cant with scouts on. Also I don't buy the idea that real life is screwy so its ok in the game. Maybe some might like the ratings to be hap hazard but I want them to be accurate so I can know at a glance how good or bad a player is.
If you want the ratings to be accurate just turn scouts off. There is also a setting to increase scouting accuracy so if you have been using the default setting, you might increase accuracy to high or very high.

I am not sure what you mean by the over all and potential ratings shutting off. I have never experienced this. I think there is a setting with which you can turn these ratings off, so if you are not getting them you should see if you have them turned off.
Pirate Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Fan View Post
If you want the ratings to be accurate just turn scouts off. There is also a setting to increase scouting accuracy so if you have been using the default setting, you might increase accuracy to high or very high.

I am not sure what you mean by the over all and potential ratings shutting off. I have never experienced this. I think there is a setting with which you can turn these ratings off, so if you are not getting them you should see if you have them turned off.
If you are in Commish mode and NOT a GM of a team, you will see no stars or Overall Current/Potential Ratings with scouts on.......
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Fan View Post

With the first what I think he is saying is he feels the scouts' ratings are often way off from what the real ratings are. I don't myself know how far off they often are, but I'd say that could be a gripe if the scouts are sometimes telling you a superstar is a replacement level player. There is a pull-down to increase their accuracy though. Maybe it's still an issue for some.

As for the second, I want to say it's been that way since we got commish mode. Just turn on commish mode and scouts and you won't see the overall ratings. I'll attach some screenshots. EDIT: QD is correct in that it's without playing as GM, but like God rather. I always forget to mention that part.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ratings4.zip (86.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: zip settings4.zip (94.1 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by kq76; 08-28-2009 at 10:44 PM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

I believe that very high scouting accuracy should be more accurate...
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
I believe that very high scouting accuracy should be more accurate...
And I believe that very low scouting should be less accurate......
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote