Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
neugey
All Star Reserve

Perfect Team and passive gaming

It took over 40 some odd years but I am finally growing up and putting less time into gaming and focusing more on my career and family. What I love about Perfect Team is it is a passive game. I can easily put it down and pick it up and it's a little hobby not a time sink like something like Civilization. Just gotta give props to PT because it has changed my perspective of gaming and by and large I am feeling happier with myself. Others feeling the same way?

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

I've always enjoyed this type of game, played a load of play by mail games in the late 80s, play by email in the mid 90s, start o matic online leagues in the late 90s and ootp online leagues in the 00s.

I would prefer a different business model, but I enjoy it and spend far too much time tinkering with lineups, checking the auction house and reading what reports

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
It took over 40 some odd years but I am finally growing up and putting less time into gaming and focusing more on my career and family. What I love about Perfect Team is it is a passive game. I can easily put it down and pick it up and it's a little hobby not a time sink like something like Civilization. Just gotta give props to PT because it has changed my perspective of gaming and by and large I am feeling happier with myself. Others feeling the same way?

I'm completely the opposite. I'm used to playing games where you can make up not spending as much by investing time grinding in the game, which you cannot do here (unless you grind the AH, and no, waiting for a sim every 29 minutes is not grinding).
But it's okay. I've come to terms with what the game is and while it wouldn't come close to scratch an itch on its own, it's found a nice niche for me among 3 other baseball games. I just like to see all the cards and go from there.
All those baseball games put together keep me baseball fulfilled, even if some of them are old.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

As a fan of the Idle genre, this game is almost too active for me

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

It is a lot of baseball even though there's a decent half hour between games, there is never more than about 11 hours between sims, even between entire seasons. In the course of one baseball season that isn't really even very close to its regular season conclusion yet, we are now in our 23rd simulated entire season or so..... Maybe you could sit out a week in the future or something?

I mean it's not a hyper pace, slow but very steady.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
As a former Civilization addict...actually I am even more addicted to PT at the moment.

It certainly CAN be passive, but it doesn’t have to be. I frequently pass the 30 mins between sims watching the replay, looking at stats or the AH, analyzing the collections etc
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
As a former Civilization addict...actually I am even more addicted to PT at the moment.

It certainly CAN be passive, but it doesn’t have to be. I frequently pass the 30 mins between sims watching the replay, looking at stats or the AH, analyzing the collections etc
30 minutes can go by very fast!
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:16 AM   #8
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Not into waiting for sims (except when I'm like a minute away from the next sim once done with everything else in the game). I usually log into most of my teams (at least the PT 20 ones) three times a day, with my morning coffee, when I come home from the office, and before I hit the bunk. When I am not actively trying to ruin my team with new player acquisitions, I am sometimes done in under 30 minutes for a day.

Even regular OOTP, followers of my dynasty will know, I play in weekly segments, so it's six to seven games, and then it's done for the day. So no entire days have been lost to that, either.

Now, Civilization on the other hand has that shock revelation of "What do you mean it's 2:47 am?? I am not done eradic- (cough) integrating the Babylonians yet...!"

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

I think the beauty of the game is you have options. If you want to sit there for a whole day and peruse the details, you can. On the other end of the spectrum, if you want to take off a week, you can do that too. Nothing falls apart if your pulled away for a while or need a break.

Now that my teams are pretty well maxed out based on an F2P model, I check in a couple times a week for the most part to see if there's anything I can do. If I need a bigger "fix" I hit my leagues in the Classic version.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #10
Will_L
All Star Reserve

PT is a nice break for me since I spend a lot of time playing War in the Pacific-Admirals Edition and a couple of Ageod Games titles like Field of Glory Empires and Civil War 2 which eat time and effort.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_L View Post
PT is a nice break for me since I spend a lot of time playing War in the Pacific-Admirals Edition and a couple of Ageod Games titles like Field of Glory Empires and Civil War 2 which eat time and effort.
Those any good?

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
I think the beauty of the game is you have options. If you want to sit there for a whole day and peruse the details, you can. On the other end of the spectrum, if you want to take off a week, you can do that too. Nothing falls apart if your pulled away for a while or need a break.

Now that my teams are pretty well maxed out based on an F2P model, I check in a couple times a week for the most part to see if there's anything I can do. If I need a bigger "fix" I hit my leagues in the Classic version.
I am in the same boat. No money for upgrades.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #13
Will_L
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Those any good?
WitP-AE has a learning cliff but if you want to do WW2 Pacific Theatre on a daily basis with individual ships, air squadrons and troops from battalion up to corps level it can't be beat. We should get a degree in logistics at the end of a game LOL. The forum at Matrix Games for this is very active and helpful and will give you some insight if you read one of the AAR's (I recommend any done by CanoeRebel and the one titled "At Dawn We Slept...In A Cab On The Way Back To Olongapo.)

The Ageod games have a much different flavor but if they catch your attention you'll enjoy them. They recently issued their first game using their new game engine (FOG-E) but the older one (Athena) works fine.

Last edited by Will_L; 08-27-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #14
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

I was a huge addict of World of Tanks (another game that has mastered earning revenue via micro-transactions), but quit and love the slower pace and less stats-obsessed (at least in terms of gamer performance) universe of Perfect Team.

I'm also currently playing chill city builders like Cities Skylines, Soviet & Resources: Soviet Republic, and Transport Fever. I am a HUGE fan of the Civilization series.

BTW, I'm hugely into military strategy games and have played many. I liked War in the East (haven't played War in the Pacific but have read War in the East is a little bit more accessible). Tried to love the AEGOD games but not my cup of tea. I did buy Field of Glory Empires, which looks great (I love Field of Glory II), and I need to get into it...

Last edited by Cheesehead1964; 08-28-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Cheesehead1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead1964 View Post
BTW, I'm hugely into military strategy games and have played many. I liked War in the East (haven't played War in the Pacific but have read War in the East is a little bit more accessible). Tried to love the AEGOD games but not my cup of tea. I did buy Field of Glory Empires, which looks great (I love Field of Glory II), and I need to get into it...
Have you played Paradox games? Perhaps they're too.. mainstream?.. for your tastes. I've never played AGEOD games but from what I've heard Paradox games are more accessible.

I've been playing since Victoria 1 and Hearts of Iron 2. Their game design peaked with Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 which I dumped countless hours into. I probably had more fun back in the day with HOI2, but Hearts of Iron 4 is undoubtedly a better game by today's standards. If I had infinite time I'd be playing a lot of HOI4 right now. But sadly (happily?), OOTP is taking all my strategy/simulation gaming time these days.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #16
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Have you played Paradox games? Perhaps they're too.. mainstream?.. for your tastes. I've never played AGEOD games but from what I've heard Paradox games are more accessible.

I've been playing since Victoria 1 and Hearts of Iron 2. Their game design peaked with Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 which I dumped countless hours into. I probably had more fun back in the day with HOI2, but Hearts of Iron 4 is undoubtedly a better game by today's standards. If I had infinite time I'd be playing a lot of HOI4 right now. But sadly (happily?), OOTP is taking all my strategy/simulation gaming time these days.

Europa Universalis IV might be my favorite game of all time. Victoria I is great - I need to check that out again. I like HOI IV a lot too..
Old 08-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #17
Will_L
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I've got War in the West but haven't put much time into it, never tried War in the East. I think you'll enjoy FOG-E when you delve into it, beware of playing the Antigonids unless you enjoy getting ganged up on Playing out some of the more interesting battles in Field of Glory is pretty cool and you don't need the DLC's to do it, just the base game.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:25 PM   #18
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_L View Post
I've got War in the West but haven't put much time into it, never tried War in the East. I think you'll enjoy FOG-E when you delve into it, beware of playing the Antigonids unless you enjoy getting ganged up on Playing out some of the more interesting battles in Field of Glory is pretty cool and you don't need the DLC's to do it, just the base game.

I liked War in the West too.

Can you recommend a good starter tribe/nation for Fields of Glory Empires?
Old 08-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #19
Will_L
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Can you recommend a good starter tribe/nation for Fields of Glory Empires?
I started off using the Picts/Caledonians because of the isolated position and not many AI players around. Probably one of the best to get a grasp on the game concepts with. The CDR (Culture-Decadence Ratio) is pretty novel and you'll need to understand that and how to manage the "unwilling" members of your population. Don't build a slave market in your capital
You'll need three tier I buildings of a type to open tier II and six tier II to open tier III buildings. The building choices are random but you can shuffle if you're looking for some better/different options.