Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Question for all

I've got a team in Perfect. They truly are uncompetitive there, and I just want to start over. What's the easiest way, staying within the TOS, to clean house and go back down?

Bottom line: I lack the resources to effectively compete with someone who can afford to purchase 40+ perfect cards. I'm not bitter or angry, I just don't want to waste my time trying when there's clearly no point.

Looking for an effective solution that stays in the rules.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
I've got a team in Perfect. They truly are uncompetitive there, and I just want to start over. What's the easiest way, staying within the TOS, to clean house and go back down?

Bottom line: I lack the resources to effectively compete with someone who can afford to purchase 40+ perfect cards. I'm not bitter or angry, I just don't want to waste my time trying when there's clearly no point.

What level are you playing at?

There really isn't a mechanism in game and I think that you would affect other players in your league. I suppose a multi-season transition might work where you slowly sell off players to pick whatever sort of players you need to build a new team.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Edster007
All Star Starter

In my opinion the tos say "deliberately trying to lose" that would mean deactivating cards to place lesser cards in your lineup to lose and be demoted only to flip your team back once relegated. That isn't what you are trying to do.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

My team is in Perfect.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
Old 08-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
In my opinion the tos say "deliberately trying to lose" that would mean deactivating cards to place lesser cards in your lineup to lose and be demoted only to flip your team back once relegated. That isn't what you are trying to do.
If I sell 'em all off, then I drop down over the course of weeks, and I've got a great big fat pile of points. Is that SSDD?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

just start selling your cards and get relegated. as long as you aren't putting all irons out there and going 20-142 then no one will even notice or care
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Unofficially, as long as you're really not making a mockery of things, nobody will notice or care. I'm in a similar boat - after 3-4 weeks in the whale league, I thought things would be better, but this week had 2 big belugas in my division and I'm not in any better shape.

Don't sell everyone off and play all bronze cards, that's going to get reported. But if you're still playing guys who can legit play their positions and you're not getting mauled every game, then it should be "safe".
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post

Don't sell everyone off and play all bronze cards, that's going to get reported. But if you're still playing guys who can legit play their positions and you're not getting mauled every game, then it should be "safe".
Surely, you mean don't hide your best cards on the inactive list. Selling your best players can't be against the TOS. Maybe you hope to buy them back later for less.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Appreciate everyone's input. I had an all diamond rotation and was getting hammered. I'm going to turn it into a theme team over time. Thinking about saving my points I gather up and going for a Tigertown historic team.

Heck, in a couple of months that might be competitive at any level...
Old 08-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
Charlatan
All Star Starter

I know it's not possible for every theme team, but when I decided to remake one of my teams, I devoted a lot of time one weekend to ditching the old and getting the new. Granted, it wasn't in Perfect, and it's not always possible to remake a team over a weekend, but I feel it worked well.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #11
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

No, that's not what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Surely, you mean don't hide your best cards on the inactive list. Selling your best players can't be against the TOS. Maybe you hope to buy them back later for less.
I'm ditching all my Live's and most of the non-Tigers to start with. Eventually, it'll be a Tigers theme team...I'd call it the Motown Maulers, but Markus hasn't seen fit to issue an Aretha card yet!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #12
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

If you're truly uncompetitive, then a few tweaks should be enough to get you relegated, no? Replace your best defenders with the worst you can find (without explicitly "tanking"), give your best starters a low pitch count, etc. There are lots of creative ways to be bad.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Unofficially, as long as you're really not making a mockery of things, nobody will notice or care. I'm in a similar boat - after 3-4 weeks in the whale league, I thought things would be better, but this week had 2 big belugas in my division and I'm not in any better shape.

With all due respect, this is not a helpful reply when coming from a member of the official game administration. You're among those who makes the decision on what constitutes making a mockery of things, yet you are leaving it up to us to decide how far we will go before we cross that line. Extreme cases are easy, but its difficult to know how much we can do before we've gone just a bit too far.

We're continually asking questions like those in the OP because of answers like the one provided here.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'm ditching all my Live's and most of the non-Tigers to start with. Eventually, it'll be a Tigers theme team...I'd call it the Motown Maulers, but Markus hasn't seen fit to issue an Aretha card yet!
I think your safe, it would only be tanking if you were doing a Padres theme team
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #15
SpacePope
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
With all due respect, this is not a helpful reply when coming from a member of the official game administration. You're among those who makes the decision on what constitutes making a mockery of things, yet you are leaving it up to us to decide how far we will go before we cross that line. Extreme cases are easy, but its difficult to know how much we can do before we've gone just a bit too far.

We're continually asking questions like those in the OP because of answers like the one provided here.
I think the thing to focus on from his post is to not get noticed or reported. The devs are probably only policing for really egregious cases and letting the community police the edge cases. People aren't going to report a bad Perfect League team in Perfect, but they'll report a bad Bronze League team in Perfect.
SpacePope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #16
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePope View Post
I think the thing to focus on from his post is to not get noticed or reported. The devs are probably only policing for really egregious cases and letting the community police the edge cases. People aren't going to report a bad Perfect League team in Perfect, but they'll report a bad Bronze League team in Perfect.
I do not believe that the enforcement of fringe cases should be the responsibility of the community. We don't need a posse to enforce frontier justice on those of us who go a bit farther than they think is appropriate. Leave the policing to the actual police.

As one who was accused of cheating and tanking by members of this community, I may be a bit biased in this regard though.

Primary Team

Old 08-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
If the OP intends to transition to a theme team, then it is very possible that their best cards may be on the inactive list, especially if they want to keep them for collection purposes. As such, hiding players, at least in certain contexts, also can't be against the TOS.

Primary Team

Old 08-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #18
SpacePope
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I do not believe that the enforcement of fringe cases should be the responsibility of the community. We don't need a posse to enforce frontier justice on those of us who go a bit farther than they think is appropriate. Leave the policing to the actual police.

As one who was accused of cheating and tanking by members of this community, I may be a bit biased in this regard though.
I 99% agree. Just like any police, they should be open to tips. But just because one or two overly concerned neighborhood watch types complain doesn't mean the devs need to follow up. Most of us couldn't care less if our neighbors music is a little loud or if they're starting Bobby Bonds when they have Barry on reserves.
SpacePope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #19
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

If personality was an overriding concern, I'd have neither Bonds on my team. Anyone ever thought of a collection mission based on the players who were most ornery?
Old 08-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #20
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The answer to your question is Matt Arnold's post. Do it gradually and you will be fine. Use common sense and don't be dramatic about it.

Decide which of your best cards don't fit your team's new direction, and post them for auction. Replace them with reasonable cards, such as gold or low diamond while you are in perfect level. As you build up points from auctioning, bank the points until you get to the level where you want to start your rebuild. If you want to drop from diamond to gold, follow the same approach except now you can mix in silver and bronze cards. If you don't want to sell any more cards, inactivate a few of your best keeper cards. When you get to the desired level, spend your points.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote