Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Random In Game Events

There has been some discussion regarding ejections occurring in PT games.

Today I learned that Rain Delays also occur in game. Does this mean that games can be cancelled and rescheduled?

Also, for any random events like these... Why?

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
chazzycat
All Star Starter

just wait til you see your team lose because of the "hidden ball trick"
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
ScudDawg
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
just wait til you see your team lose because of the "hidden ball trick"
Lol
Old 08-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #4
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I would say it’s to account for something that happens in real life: a player is having a great (or poor, or average) day and is removed from the game due to circumstances beyond his control: a surly umpire or the skies opening up.

Also, it’s a pre-existing feature of the game engine on which PT is based.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
allenciox
All Star Reserve

First of all, there are rain delays but never rain-outs. And yes, players will get ejected for fighting. Players will also get caught in run-downs, though usually the run-down is not shown in the animation.

I have seen the hidden ball trick, inside-the-park home runs, but the most remarkable thing was an "unassisted triple play" accomplishment. i thought, "I HAVE to see this", so I pulled up the game to watch it. It was pretty ludicrous. There was a liner to the third baseman, who caught it and tagged the runner coming from second, for the second out. The runner on first was most of the way to second, so the animation showed him running down that player all the way from third base before the runner could get back to first.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
First of all, there are rain delays but never rain-outs. And yes, players will get ejected for fighting. Players will also get caught in run-downs, though usually the run-down is not shown in the animation.

I have seen the hidden ball trick, inside-the-park home runs, but the most remarkable thing was an "unassisted triple play" accomplishment. i thought, "I HAVE to see this", so I pulled up the game to watch it. It was pretty ludicrous. There was a liner to the third baseman, who caught it and tagged the runner coming from second, for the second out. The runner on first was most of the way to second, so the animation showed him running down that player all the way from third base before the runner could get back to first.
Oops... I'm guessing we're missing a check on there...
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
eldur00
All Star Reserve

I'm all for randomness in event as it stays truer to real baseball.

Wouldn't mind at all a tournament where you get to submit a 40 player roster, with injuries on...heck wouldn't even be opposed to CIE deleting your player card, but only for live players, as those can be re-acquired fairly cheaply for the most part...giving a CIE to an historical perfect would be just too much.

I'm sure I'm in the minority though, but that would keep things interesting.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

The difference between rundowns or the hidden ball trick and ejections or rain delays is that one is randomness related to actual baseball game play while the other is randomness based on non-baseball factors. If we're going to have chemistry, player personality, and injuries all turned off, then we should also have ejections and delays turned off (or have them be merely cosmetic, not unlike wall height and ballpark dimensions). It feels like this is an incomplete fix, a half-measure.

Primary Team

Old 08-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Dogberry99, I actually think a positive change would be to have injuries turned on, not off. This would make the reserve roster actually useful, rather than just a place to store random players.

It doesn't bother me to have ejections or rain delays as that kind of adds a little spirit to the game. But I really wish we had injuries and an injured reserve. If that was automated, even better (i.e have system put player on IR list, then bring over highest rated player from reserve roster with same position).

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dogberry99, I actually think a positive change would be to have injuries turned on, not off. This would make the reserve roster actually useful, rather than just a place to store random players.

It doesn't bother me to have ejections or rain delays as that kind of adds a little spirit to the game. But I really wish we had injuries and an injured reserve. If that was automated, even better (i.e have system put player on IR list, then bring over highest rated player from reserve roster with same position).
I don't want the AI to manage my roster. Injuries penalize people that cannot be watching their team during the entire simulation period. The AI would not set up my team in the same manner that I do. Lineups and pitching adjustments would be effected by the injury and I don't want the AI to shuffle players around based on ratings instead of my own strategy.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I don't want the AI to manage my roster. Injuries penalize people that cannot be watching their team during the entire simulation period. The AI would not set up my team in the same manner that I do. Lineups and pitching adjustments would be effected by the injury and I don't want the AI to shuffle players around based on ratings instead of my own strategy.

I don't see it as any worse than the starting times of seasons/playoffs which really cripple people who live in different parts of the globe. That would be something people would have to accept over time.
Besides, it could also be set so that you can set a "call up order" for injury replacements.

Also, this might be something that makes more sense to implement when the app is actually up and running...this way, most people should be able to log in real quick and make the adjustments they want.
However, and I've alluded to it earlier, this might make more sense in a tournament. That way, if you don't like it, you don't sign up for it.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:34 AM   #12
Goliathus
Major Leagues

I don't mind it for tournament. Good ground to experiment with all kinds of idea and get player feedback IMO.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #13
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Eldur00, great post

Quote:

It was never my intention to weigh in on the merits of injuries. All I'm saying is the devs saw fit to remove some of the randomness that removes players from the game (injuries, including those that occur in the middle of the game), but did not follow the idea through to completion by removing other random events such as ejections.

Primary Team

Old 08-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #14
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
While I don't disagree with the statement-I think injuries would have to make you consider your reserves more closely and add a level of immersion. I think the game would then have to be run more like an online league where you only sim one week a day to allow us to manage our rosters. If I can't manage who gets called up and my team strategy behind it the purpose of having it is somewhat defeated.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #15
justpatrick
Major Leagues

I can´t imagine the reaction of someone who paid real (big) money for the likes of Josh Gibson or perfect Cy only to have their investment end up on the disabled list for half the season. Said person would be quite pissed off, and rightfully so I might add.

justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #16
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpatrick View Post
I can´t imagine the reaction of someone who paid real (big) money for the likes of Josh Gibson or perfect Cy only to have their investment end up on the disabled list for half the season. Said person would be quite pissed off, and rightfully so I might add.

It's just one season, they'd get over it, just like people are supposed to get over being seeded with whales they have no chance of catching or not being able to set their lineups on time for playoffs.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #17
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:

Yes, in fact both teams with inside-the-park HRs in one game. Park factors and such, maybe.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #18
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Another one I remember was the shortstop running down a ball that got by him all the way to the left-center field wall...then he threw it into the infield but not before the batter had a ...double.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote