Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #4141
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Of The Sixth View Post
In PT20, I have yet to open a pack that had a Diamond or higher!

Glad to see that someone can get some luck, from time to time.

You just have to braced through the slump. I was opening crap for like my first 150 packs and the next 100 packs I cracked my first perfect and a larger-than-average amount of diamonds and golds.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #4142
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Sad Hill Streaks to Lead in OL S296

The Hunters ripped off a 12-6 sim to rise to the top, while the rest of the contenders had a middling month to compress the standings. Chi-Town loomed large at 7-1 to climb back into the race. Northborough went 14-8.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #4143
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Diamond league update:

Southern sits atop the OL standings with Victoria a close second.
Attached Images
Image Image 
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #4144
Edster007
All Star Starter

Sorry Bronze standings will come out tonight. Internet issues this morning. Shame I had 2 bids out for Everett and if I won either or both would have liked to get them in the lineup today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #4145
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
You just have to braced through the slump. I was opening crap for like my first 150 packs and the next 100 packs I cracked my first perfect and a larger-than-average amount of diamonds and golds.
You've opened 250+ packs with your FTP team(s)? I think I've opened like 20! But then again I don't ever spend PP on buying packs for my OL teams.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #4146
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Boppers Blitz to top of Gold OL Standings
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 08-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #4147
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
Finally some pack-luck for the Owls.... landed a player-of-the-month DJ LeMahieu from a pack a few days ago.... can't use him unfortunately in OL play, so have been running him in the AH trying to pull in a chunk o' change to spend on more packs..... finally got a buyer and picked up another mess o' packs.... landed three quality additions that can be used in OL play...

hopefully they'll turn around the team's fortunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Of The Sixth View Post
In PT20, I have yet to open a pack that had a Diamond or higher!

Glad to see that someone can get some luck, from time to time.
My luck lies between you two guys. My packs-only team has opened just over 200 packs. I've gotten 11 diamonds and 1 perfect, and of those, only 2 have been historical cards. The only one that might be considered a home run is the 98 OVR Frank Robinson.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #4148
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

The Cottons' demotion to Diamond this week ended up just reaffirming that my rebuild concepts are headed in the right direction. They currently lead the entire league in both runs scored and ERA, and that is despite using leftover placeholders from completed sets at LHP DH and 3B.

It seems the "all lefty batters, lefty CON+, GAP+" ballpark meta has lots of room to play with still.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #4149
Argonaut
All Star Starter

All-lefty is too strong of a setup to the point of being silly. I'm only about 3/4 through an all-lefty switch on the Vikings and they've been outperforming their weight-class by a ton since the switch. In a way, I wish Perfect Team wasn't as gimmicky, and a more balanced lineup could be effective. But on the other hand I guess it provides a way to be competitive against the pay-teams that spend more and manage less.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #4150
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
All-lefty is too strong of a setup to the point of being silly. I'm only about 3/4 through an all-lefty switch on the Vikings and they've been outperforming their weight-class by a ton since the switch. In a way, I wish Perfect Team wasn't as gimmicky, and a more balanced lineup could be effective. But on the other hand I guess it provides a way to be competitive against the pay-teams that spend more and manage less.
The reality is that there are a ton more good and affordable righty starting pitchers and righty relievers than there are lefties, so lefty hitting is at a clear advantage.

The problem with lefty teams is that there's an obvious counter in the playoffs: just pick up lefty pitching, which is usually VERY effective because the splits are so aggressive. Both of my WS titles came because I was able to clean up against lefty teams in the playoffs by picking up a Brett Anderson or Paul Splitorff. Hell, in the most recent WS victory, Jim Kaat of "I'm just here because I was in the twins set" fame got some innings and pitched well just because he's a lefty. Brett Anderson threw a maddux. There's a reason these dominant lefty teams stumble in the playoffs every year (although allenciox has been getting particularly unlucky as well which doesnt help). Because you can totally switch up rosters in between series, you have so much flexibility to counter lefty teams.

To get to the playoffs, you either need to be a lefty team or specifically be set up to counter lefty teams while still being a cohesive unit against the rest of the field. The latter concept is how I'm building the Cottons and it seems to be working.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #4151
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Part of the reason why all-lefty is so effective is that Perfect Team is so hands-off, and that a lot of people don't have time to make switches in the playoffs based on who you're facing. Especially for me anyway, as Sunday is prime family time. But yeah, if you throw up left-handed pitching against it that'll be a huge counter. It's been a struggle for me to find historical LHP starters as I have the added crux of wanting mint cards without stats.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #4152
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
The problem with lefty teams is that there's an obvious counter in the playoffs: just pick up lefty pitching, which is usually VERY effective because the splits are so aggressive. Both of my WS titles came because I was able to clean up against lefty teams in the playoffs by picking up a Brett Anderson or Paul Splitorff. Hell, in the most recent WS victory, Jim Kaat of "I'm just here because I was in the twins set" fame got some innings and pitched well just because he's a lefty. Brett Anderson threw a maddux. There's a reason these dominant lefty teams stumble in the playoffs every year (although allenciox has been getting particularly unlucky as well which doesnt help). Because you can totally switch up rosters in between series, you have so much flexibility to counter lefty teams.

To get to the playoffs, you either need to be a lefty team or specifically be set up to counter lefty teams while still being a cohesive unit against the rest of the field. The latter concept is how I'm building the Cottons and it seems to be working.
yeah, I believe this was a factor in my championship vs. allenciox. He had the home field advantage and the series went the full distance. Me having enough lefty SP to start all 4 of his home games definitely helped.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #4153
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Part of the reason why all-lefty is so effective is that Perfect Team is so hands-off, and that a lot of people don't have time to make switches in the playoffs based on who you're facing. Especially for me anyway, as Sunday is prime family time. But yeah, if you throw up left-handed pitching against it that'll be a huge counter. It's been a struggle for me to find historical LHP starters as I have the added crux of wanting mint cards without stats.
I only really switch in for the WS, but I'm convinced that if you just switched in to counter lefties the night before, it might just be a good idea for every playoff opponent. Playoff teams are there because they can beat righties, after all, so any righty pitchers are going to have a rough time unless you're like 100 Pedro or something.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #4154
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
The reality is that there are a ton more good and affordable righty starting pitchers and righty relievers than there are lefties, so lefty hitting is at a clear advantage.

Was it you that hard countered my lefty team?

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #4155
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Was it you that hard countered my lefty team?
Yep, though I was also piloting a lefty team for that. But I ran 4 lefty SPs as opposed to the 2R/2L split on the Mokes, which is just an enormous advantage in any lefty team vs. lefty team matchup.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #4156
Edster007
All Star Starter

Better late than never

Bronze OL standings at the All Star break.
Attached Images
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #4157
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
I only really switch in for the WS, but I'm convinced that if you just switched in to counter lefties the night before, it might just be a good idea for every playoff opponent. Playoff teams are there because they can beat righties, after all, so any righty pitchers are going to have a rough time unless you're like 100 Pedro or something.
I platoon heavily in perfect. I can usually hit either pretty regularly.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #4158
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
I platoon heavily in perfect. I can usually hit either pretty regularly.
I'm sure your Perfect team is doing fine, but like 75% of competitive OL teams are lefty-centric, and lefty F2P teams usually don't or can't run a heavy platoon. Very different meta.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #4159
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
I'm sure your Perfect team is doing fine, but like 75% of competitive OL teams are lefty-centric, and lefty F2P teams usually don't or can't run a heavy platoon. Very different meta.
I will grant you that. I do platoon in my FTP teams but not to that extent.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:18 AM   #4160
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Yeah, there are definitely counters to lefty ball clubs, and as more people adopt them, they will become more prevalent. One issue is that the most effective counters require micromanaging, which is a lot of work. I have tried using 7-day lineups (especially in playoffs) but I always forget they are there, and it messes me up next season.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote