Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

My new love of CFL

I bought espn+ to have Major league soccer, and for only $54 a year it includes many other things. I have access to the Canadian football league and have been enjoying it.

I have fallen out of love with the NFL, the last few years and just don't watch anymore. College football is entertaining but not a fan of the ranking/playoff system.

The CFL is interesting for several reasons. 1. A lot better flow then the other leagues because commercials don't happen at every moment. 2. Having 3 downs make the offenses more aggressive. 3. Clear rules, doesn't appear to have controversy ever other play. 4. Low amount of teams creates more competitive games.

Overall just enjoy watching football again and it has been a bit.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Welcome. Like yourself i got into it casually due to just losing interst in the nfl about 15 years ago. Its not a perfect league (the largest market thinks its American the league is a pale shadow of what it was as late as the 80s), but its the only one thats ours. Plus gotta love a thropy presented by mounties
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #3
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
2. Having 3 downs make the offenses more aggressive.
It's not just that. There's also the larger field (110x65 yds with 20yd deep end zones versus the NFL's 100x53.33 yds with 10yd deep end zones) and unlimited back field motion before a play (you can often see wide receivers charging toward the scrimmage line, timing to cross it as the ball is snapped).

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
4. Low amount of teams creates more competitive games.
Not so sure about that, although I haven't watched any games in some years. You do still end up with some rather disparate club records at the end of a season.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:35 PM   #4
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
It's not just that. There's also the larger field (110x65 yds with 20yd deep end zones versus the NFL's 100x53.33 yds with 10yd deep end zones) and unlimited back field motion before a play (you can often see wide receivers charging toward the scrimmage line, timing to cross it as the ball is snapped).

Not so sure about that, although I haven't watched any games in some years. You do still end up with some rather disparate club records at the end of a season.
The games themselves seem to be competitive on a week by week basis. Not a lot of flat out beat downs. MLS is also really good about having competitive matches.

Seems the NBA and NFL suffer the most in this regard, because some teams will just tank constantly to try to be competitive and then do it again when it doesn't work.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

It looks like offensive receivers are 2 or 3 yards offsides on every play but are they lax in the CFL about offside rules.

Love the one point rouge. With so many crappy kickers in the NFL,they need to adopt the rule.

One rule I don't undertand is when players line up behind the punter on the punts. I guess like the punter,they can go after every kicked ball in that alignment.

I have read that there are less concussions in the CFL(maybe because of smaller players and/or larger fields).

It looks like a CFL field will fit inside a regulation soccer field(see Toronto CFL,MLS) so a CFL type league would be ideal in the states if they could share stadiums with MLS teams.

I know the 1994 CFL expansion in the USA was a disaster. Don't think they did there homework when awarding cities teams.

I think it would work this time around with expansion in the Northern USA :
Portland OR and /or Portland,ME
Milwaukee
Columbus,OH
Detroit/Toledo,OH
Rochester/Syracuse NY
New England(Providence RI)

Last edited by Orioles1966; 09-28-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
It looks like offensive receivers are 2 or 3 yards offsides on every play but are they lax in the CFL about offside rules.
No, it's an optical illusion. Unlimited motion in the backfield allows receivers and running backs to be at full speed when the ball is snapped. The one yard gap between offensive and defensive lines may also contribute. It is a harder call to make though.

Do you know what the "no yards" rule is?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
No, it's an optical illusion. Unlimited motion in the backfield allows receivers and running backs to be at full speed when the ball is snapped. The one yard gap between offensive and defensive lines may also contribute. It is a harder call to make though.

Do you know what the "no yards" rule is?
No Yards - on kick-offs/punts, the player catching the ball must be given 5 yards radius until he's actually made contact with the ball. No opposing player can be within 5 yds til he has touched the ball. We don't do Fair Catches up here, everything is returned. Catch the ball in the end zone and kneel - you concede 1 pt to your opponent. If your opponent kicks the ball through the end zone, they still get the point.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 09-28-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
No Yards - on kick-offs/punts, the player catching the ball must be given 5 yards radius until he's actually made contact with the ball. No opposing player can be within 5 yds til he has touched the ball. We don't do Fair Catches up here, everything is returned. Catch the ball in the end zone and kneel - you concede 1 pt to your opponent. If your opponent kicks the ball through the end zone, they still get the point.
It applies to kickoffs? Didn't know that.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #9
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Almost every game I have watched has been competitive. The small number of teams has something to do with it I'm sure.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:21 AM   #10
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Does no yard's apply to the punter?

I thought he can go after his own punt?

Getting back to offside-they never question it on TV and never use slow-motion replay at the line of scrimmage. If it's real obivious that a guy is offside they will call it but besides that there are almost no off-sides penalties during a game.

Yeah I know about the one yard off the ball at the line of scrimmage.

The CFL was the only football league that had the right OT rule. Play a full quarter with two halves(at the 7:30 minute mark) but I guess they no longer play with that OT.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 09-29-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does no yard's apply to the punter?

I thought he can go after his own punt?

Getting back to offside-they never question it on TV and never use slow-motion replay at the line of scrimmage. If it's real obivious that a guy is offside they will call it but besides that there are almost no off-sides penalties during a game.

Yeah I know about the one yard off the ball at the line of scrimmage.

The CFL was the only football league that had the right OT rule. Play a full quarter with two halves(at the 7:30 minute mark) but I guess they no longer play with that OT.
That's correct - the punter can recover his own kick. (forgot about that)

The one rule I don't like about the CFL is the point awarded for a missed field goal. It's a bit complicated, but I never liked the idea of being rewarded for failure.

Keep in mind, in the CFL the goal posts are at the front of the end zone, where in the NFL they're at the back. So it's possible to miss a field goal and still have the ball land in the end zone, which is part of fair ground and therefore the ball is still in play.

You'll notice that opposing teams have a player in the end zone ready to play the ball should the FG miss but the ball still lands in play. If the FG is missed, but the ball lands in play (in the end zone), a team can still earn 1 pt if the opposing player doesn't bring the ball back out of the end zone.

Weird, I know. Here's where it gets even weirder. The player with the ball doesn't have to run it out of the end zone, he can kick it out, back to the opposing team. Weird right? The idea being that you can either run it out or kick it out to avoid giving up the point.

Might not matter most of the time, but it did one time during the Grey Cup. In 89, Hamilton and Saskatchewan were tied 38-38 late in the game. Sask went to kick the winning field goal.

Now think about that, if they miss the FG, they can still win the game if the opponent doesn't get the ball out of the end zone. Because of that "point for missing" possibility.

In the end, it didn't matter, Sask won with a FG. But my point stands, they could have won the Championship for failing. Not a good rule.

CFL Football is entertaining to say the least, I've watched it all my life. We didn't get NFL coverage up here in the 60's n 70's when I was a kid. I still watch it now. Their season starts in mid June too, so it's a nice lead up to NFL training camps and regular season. Gets your football juices flowing as you prepare for the NFL season to begin.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 09-29-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:28 PM   #12
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, it used to be two 10-minutes halves for overtime—but overtime was reserved for playoff games only. In 1986, when overtime was adopted for regular season games, it was reduced to two 5-minute halves. This change also applied to the playoffs. This version of overtime lasted until 2000, when it changed to the first iteration of the 'shootout' format in which each club gets a chance to scrimmage the ball from the opponent's 35-yard line.

Something that might be found interesting is that, back in the 1950s and 1960s, the conference playoffs were quite a bit longer,

In the Western Conference, from 1952–64, the semi-final between the second and third place teams was a two-game, total points series. The conference final, from 1950–71 was a best-of-three series. Yes, a best-of-three series. It was typically scheduled this way: you'd play the first game, then four days later play game #2, then three or four days after that play game #3, if it was needed. The two-game, total points semi-final was even more time-compressed: clubs would play the first game, then two or three days later play the second.

The Eastern Conference also had a two-tier playoff, but the semi-final a single-game affair while the final was a two-game, total points series. The two-game final lasted from 1947–72. The eastern version of the two-game series was played on a more leisurely schedule, with the second game played from five to seven days after the first.

Another unusual aspect was that the Eastern and Western conferences played seasons of different lengths for a long time. The Western Conference started playing a 16-game schedule in 1952; the Eastern Conference adopted a 14-game schedule the following year. This imbalance lasted until 1974, when the East started playing 16 games. (The schedule increased to 18 games in 1986.)

With the difference in regular season and playoff formats, it meant that, theoretically, a Western club could have entered the Grey Cup having played 21 games while its Eastern opponent might only have played 16.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 09-29-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote