Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #21
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gindin View Post
The current answer is the same as when this last came up: it's something we'd like to provide, but it's a piece that doesn't transition well to a multi-platform framework. Most of FOF8 was written using C++ code meeting a multi-platform standard. The multi-player stuff was specific to Windows. So it has to be re-written and perhaps even redesigned. We feel our multi-player core of customers is very important and worth that extra effort; the question is when. No promises. Anything more than that will have to wait until the OOTP pre-release process begins.

thanks for the answer.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #22
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the update! Will check back in sometime in early 2020 and see how much longer til release!
Old 06-14-2019, 01:32 AM   #23
tzach
Bat Boy

Quote:
It's really a coincidence, but if we ever have licensing, I can see it being something we can talk about (though the HOF is independent from the NFL and the NFLPA). My wife is a professor at Kent State, so the move is very helpful to her.

wow nice, best of luck with the move. canton is a great place to be.

and kent state...2008 DPOY and 2009 draft 7th round 232 pick have to get a bust somewhere there.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #24
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
It's really a coincidence, but if we ever have licensing, I can see it being something we can talk about (though the HOF is independent from the NFL and the NFLPA). My wife is a professor at Kent State, so the move is very helpful to her.
I mean, OOTP and FHM both have historical features. Do the NFL still own the rights to older players? I remember the 2K sports game, All-Pro Football 2K8 which had 2K license individual HOF players, though that might be a bit of a hassle.

Either way, license doesn't matter, the community exists and databases can be built on. I just wanna play some football 🏈
Old 06-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #25
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinginalaska View Post
I mean, OOTP and FHM both have historical features. Do the NFL still own the rights to older players? I remember the 2K sports game, All-Pro Football 2K8 which had 2K license individual HOF players, though that might be a bit of a hassle.

Either way, license doesn't matter, the community exists and databases can be built on. I just wanna play some football 🏈
The last time Jim did the research, he came to the conclusion that real player names were ok to use. They've been in FOF without a license for over a decade--since either FOF2K4 or FOF2K7 (versions 5 and 6.) I *think* FOF2K7. For football games, apparently, the license would be important for franchise names/logos, but not for player names. In past versions, it has been easy for someone to just grab the logos from the internet, resize them to FOF's specifications, and post them for everyone to use. As far as franchise nicknames, the game has come with the cities and colors in place, but not the real nicknames. Changing the nicknames has been a one-time process that carries over for any new career started. It's just a matter of typing in 32 nicknames and hitting the tab key 32 times to get them into your game permanently:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntdl68m5i2...27.27.png?dl=0
Old 06-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #26
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

Heh. All these years playing FOF, and I've never noticed that screen says AL/NL, and the standings screen--and, I think, every single other screen where conferences are referenced--says AC/NC. SOMEONE FILE A BUG REPORT!!!1
Old 06-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #27
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The last time Jim did the research, he came to the conclusion that real player names were ok to use. They've been in FOF without a license for over a decade--since either FOF2K4 or FOF2K7 (versions 5 and 6.) I *think* FOF2K7. For football games, apparently, the license would be important for franchise names/logos, but not for player names. In past versions, it has been easy for someone to just grab the logos from the internet, resize them to FOF's specifications, and post them for everyone to use. As far as franchise nicknames, the game has come with the cities and colors in place, but not the real nicknames. Changing the nicknames has been a one-time process that carries over for any new career started. It's just a matter of typing in 32 nicknames and hitting the tab key 32 times to get them into your game permanently:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntdl68m5i2...27.27.png?dl=0
Ah I know

I'm just wondering if player likeness will come into play or is that just for appearance and specific traits that basically indicate this is the same person? Either way, if facegen is a thing (and I'm going to guess it will be), we don't need them to look the same way. Once again, the community is here.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #28
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

As per my last post actually, I was wondering if Jim could confirm the simple question on if facegen will be a thing, I don't really need players to look a specific way and my imagination is great and all but... I really do like the idea of seeing what my star QB in 2049 looks like lol
Old 06-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #29
Gallifrey
Bat Boy

All good news. Being a long time player of FOF, going back many moons, I rest easy knowing Jim will do great work... again.

When the game goes on the market I will be there ready to play!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #30
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinginalaska View Post
As per my last post actually, I was wondering if Jim could confirm the simple question on if facegen will be a thing, I don't really need players to look a specific way and my imagination is great and all but... I really do like the idea of seeing what my star QB in 2049 looks like lol
Markus earlier confirmed Facegen will be part of FOF.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #31
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Markus earlier confirmed Facegen will be part of FOF.

Will enhance the game greatly.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #32
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Has it been determined the largest possible league?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #33
reo
Minors (Triple A)

Just read this now. Cheers.
Gil Renard: Don't get greedy, son. Don't get greedy. What we need now is a sacrifice. A winning team has to know how to manufacture runs. Coop taught me that. He used to say the most beautiful play in the game is a sacrifice fly, and you know why?
Richie Renard: 'Cause you give yourself up for the team?
Gil Renard: And it doesn't even count against your average. That's why baseball's better than life - it's fair.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #34
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the update Jim!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
Old 06-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #35
TheRyanLee
Bat Boy

Thanks for the update. I am most definitely buying this game!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #36
Minors (Double A)

I've been playing FOF since nearly the beginning and every year I "could not wait" for the next release. The feeling of impatience and frustration at the lack of developer updates was maddening.

But the computer game landscape is so much different now than it was nearly 20 years ago, 15 years ago, 10 years ago, even 5 years ago. The advances in technology, the expanding market for computer games, and the influx of talented programmers from around the world has resulted in the problem of *too many* incredible games.

Aside from FOF, over the last few years I've put countless hours into every version of OOTP, countless hours into Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II from Paradox. I don't even want to know how many hours I've spent with Football Manager (my second favorite game), it would make me sick. I bought Football Manager 2019 the week it came out and still haven't installed it, because I know the moment I load that game my life is over. I'll put every hour of my free time into it, no time for these other games, no social life, etc. FM 2019 is like a suicide pill in my steam library and as much as I want to play it, I've been able to resist the temptation.

Recently I played more than 100 hours of Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS4, my first real "video game" (as opposed to simulations) in as long as I can remember, and it's an absolute masterpiece on so many different levels it blows my mind. I still can't get my head around the fact that such a thing is possible.

The point is, I'd be lying if I said I can't wait for FOF 9. The truth is I can wait. FOF is my favorite game and once it's out, I'll happily throw nearly every hour of my free time into it. It's thrilling to know that FOF has teamed up with OOTP. It's exciting just to know that a new version of FOF definitely will be released at some point. But my attitude is take your time and get it right, I've got plenty of other things to do. Red Dead Redemption 2 took more than 3000 people over 7 years to develop, and after experiencing the end result I'm glad they did. They didn't rush it out, they insisted on perfection and they got it right.

While it would be great if it came out tomorrow, the very last thing I want to see is a half-finished, buggy, disappointing version of FOF 9 come stumbling out of the gate due to artificial deadlines or customer impatience.

So my personal message to Jim and the guys at OOTP is take your time and keep doing what you're doing. Get it right. Release it when you're satisfied that it's ready. I don't even care about updates. The marriage between FOF and OOTP is literally a dream come true, and I have no doubt the end result will blow every previous version of FOF out of the water. This is exciting stuff. The only thing I do ask is make sure you email me when it's ready. I'm on the list. I rarely check these forums and don't want to miss it. Good luck, you are doing the right thing.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #37
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

Please just put fof8 on sale for the wait. Have fof7 but need to upgrade as some of the flaws are killing it
Old 06-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #38
killxmike
Bat Boy

WOW, i'm so excited I stumbled upon this. I remember waiting excitedly for the FIRST FOF Game, its been a long time since i've played. Had no PC for a while at home just tablets lol.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #39
JoseRijo
Minors (Double A)

I was just thinking about FOF today and I came across this. I've been a long-time advocate of FOF to my friends and I've been playing since 2011. I also have been playing OOTP since version 5! So this pairing is a dream come true. The main weakness of FOF IMO was the UI was dated, and I suspect this will be vastly repaired with version 9. SOOOO EXCITED!

Now if OOTP can make an agreement with the guy who does Fast Break College Basketball and I'll be all set.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #40
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Take as long as needed...I’m not interested in a “FOF8 with a new paint job” FOF8 was FOF7 with a tune up and some vinyl covering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk