Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #1001
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan View Post
If you still have room for one more I would like to join as well. Just discovered this thread today, ironically the same day I decided to sell of my few remaining 'live' players and focus entirely on a historical team.

My team was created the first day Perfect Team 20 opened and after a couple of average seasons I lucked out by drawing a 98 rated Jackie Robinson card in a pack. I debated a bit but finally decided to sell him and used the 80k in points I got to greatly improve my team.

That first season after the auction house spree I made the playoffs in gold and won my first- and only so far - playoff series. The result was a promotion to diamond where my team was just good enough to not get bumped back down to gold. Somehow I earned a wildcard berth in diamond last season after winning a one game tie-breaker, but I lost the wildcard game in 12 innings (Dave Stieb surrendered a 3-run homer and was subsequently dispatched to the auction house). I vowed never to own a Blue Jay player again, although my bias against the Jays started decades before Stieb’s gopher ball.

This season I realized I will never win in diamond with the team I have, and I would never earn enough points to substantially upgrade as I am strictly free play, so I decided to retool my team by going exclusively with historical players.

In solo play I always gravitate towards historical rather than modern day so I decided to do the same with my Perfect Team and focus on getting players I liked. I already had Mark Fidrych and Hank Greenberg and purchased my all-time favourite Tiger in Alan Trammell (had to settle for the 1987 version as the '84 was too rich for my blood).

I also had Bob Feller, Steve Carlton, Mel Ott and a few others I enjoy following in my solo historical sims so I decided I will build my team around them. I also renamed my team the CliffMarkle Roadrunners. Cliff Markle is in honour of the greatest pitcher in my very first OOTP historical dynasty (back in the days of OOTP2) and I used the Roadrunners because I liked the uniform and logo made TxRanger in his great graphics thread.

I may end up back in gold next season but so far my team is holding it's own so, with a little luck, I could remain a diamond level club. So that's a quick history of my club.

Your are certainly welcome if you fit the outline. Just post your user name and add the names from our list a couple of posts back, or use the one put up on google. The only thing you have to do is manage your list by leaving off a name or two that are a couple of levels away from your team, because we are already past 31. I would also ask that you post a copy of your team logo so I can copy it for possible "crowning" when you win an Our League season. We award a crown in any level that has at least four teams. Teams that play less than 10 games in a season are not eligible for the crown in that season. Those levels with only two or three teams need to report their records against each at the end of the year, because I keep track of the lifetime wins and losses. Also, any playoff games against Our League teams are added to the lifetime count. I am going to post the first lifetime standings as soon as OOTP puts up 2024's playoff results. We had some teams in bronze that I need to check on. Wow, this was a long-winded welcome.
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #1002
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Our League Compliance Standards

I realize I have not posted this in its entirety yet, just the tiebreakers on the one occasion they were needed.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Tiebreakers.txt (1.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #1003
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Here it as a png.
Attached Images
Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #1004
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
I think we should also, since Player of the Month cards are now available, exclude those as well from "Our League" teams, since they are not "historical" cards, and are really an anomaly anyway. What do others think?

I didn't really pay any attention to them. I figure they were all Live cards anyway. Aren't they based on the current major league season? I would also think they should be excluded.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #1005
allenciox
All Star Reserve

My understanding, from another post, is that, unlike Live, their ratings don't change, but they are based on their performance over the month that they got the player of the month for. They just put out 6 cards to represent the best players in the majors over the month of April.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #1006
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
My understanding, from another post, is that, unlike Live, their ratings don't change, but they are based on their performance over the month that they got the player of the month for. They just put out 6 cards to represent the best players in the majors over the month of April.
I can see arguments being made for including them and not including them. I am fine with whatever you guys decide, although, may be I would lean towards not using them since they are based on the current season.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #1007
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Kuppchaser View Post
Your are certainly welcome if you fit the outline. Just post your user name and add the names from our list a couple of posts back, or use the one put up on google. The only thing you have to do is manage your list by leaving off a name or two that are a couple of levels away from your team, because we are already past 31. I would also ask that you post a copy of your team logo so I can copy it for possible "crowning" when you win an Our League season. We award a crown in any level that has at least four teams. Teams that play less than 10 games in a season are not eligible for the crown in that season. Those levels with only two or three teams need to report their records against each at the end of the year, because I keep track of the lifetime wins and losses. Also, any playoff games against Our League teams are added to the lifetime count. I am going to post the first lifetime standings as soon as OOTP puts up 2024's playoff results. We had some teams in bronze that I need to check on. Wow, this was a long-winded welcome.
Thanks. Yes, I believe I fit the outline. I do not buy any points and am using strictly historical players on my active roster. I do want to make sure that Historical Legend cards are allowable. I have one, a 98 Steve Carlton I pulled a week or so ago.

Here is my logo. My user name in the game is TigerFan and my team name is the CliffMarkle Roadrunners.
Attached Images
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #1008
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan View Post
Thanks. Yes, I believe I fit the outline. I do not buy any points and am using strictly historical players on my active roster. I do want to make sure that Historical Legend cards are allowable. I have one, a 98 Steve Carlton I pulled a week or so ago.

Here is my logo. My user name in the game is TigerFan and my team name is the CliffMarkle Roadrunners.
I love that logo

Old 05-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #1009
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
I love that logo
Yes, Txranger does amazing work.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...rs#post4447293
Old 05-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #1010
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if others have done this but thought I would post a more detailed history of the CliffMarkle Roadrunners franchise. Wish I was doing it all along as this is mainly from memory.

The franchise now known as the CliffMarkle Roadrunners originally began play as the London Continentals in the 2019 season. A free to play club, the Continentals early focus was on earning new players through packs only, and they stayed away from the auction house. While the goal was on trying to collect as many historical players as possible, in the early going a lack of points forced the Continentals to dress live players as well.

The club struggled it's initial season at the Bronze Level going 77-85 and finishing third in their division. The 2020 season was slightly better as the Continentals began a 3 season run of advancing leagues following an 87-75 campaign and another third place finish in their division in the Bronze League. It was, however, good enough to earn a promotion to Silver.

It was that 2021 season in Silver when Lady Luck smiled on the organization, allowing the team to pull a 98 rated Jackie Robinson from a pack. Robinson would play only a couple of weeks for the Continentals before he was auctioned off for 80,000 points. That winfall allowed the club to dive headfirst into the auction pool, signing among others Hank Greenberg, Whitey Ford, Bob Feller, Stephen Strasburg and Aaron Judge with a number of other key additions being pulled in freshly acquired packs.

The Continentals would again have to settle for a third place finish, but at 88-74 they snuck into the second wildcard spot for their first playoff appearance. Unfortunately, they made a quick exit from the post-season with a loss in that game.

The playoff berth meant the Continentals would be promoted again for 2022 - to the Gold Level. The result was the best regular season in franchise history, going 91-71 and once again making the playoffs as a wildcard. This time the club won the wildcard game but was dispatched in a tough 5 game divisional series.

It did earn them another promotion and the club suddenly found itself at the Diamond Level. They were clearly overmatched, winning just 69 games and finishing last in their division - but high enough to avoid a demotion to Gold.

The 2024 season saw the Continentals improve to 82-80, good enough to get them into a tiebreaker for the final wildcard spot thanks to an extra inning victory on the last day of the regular season. The Continentals - with a 98 rated Steve Carlton on the hill - won the tiebreaker but lost the wildcard game in 13 innings. Carlton was another great pull the team got from a bronze pack.

Yes, the Continentals made the playoffs in 2024 but finished barely over .500 in a year a lot of things just happened to go right. It was clear that without a huge influx of points from getting incredibly lucky and pulling a Babe Ruth or Walter Johnson 100 card, there was no way this team could compete at the Diamond level the way it was structured.

The Continentals had a lot of talented players rated in the 80s or low 90s but they were simply not good enough to win at the Diamond level. A pack pull of Mark Fidrych was the impetus to change the team's philosophy. The club owner, Tiger Fan, was 11 years old when Fidrych had his one incredible season and the owner wanted The Bird to play on his team. Tiger Fan made the decision that "We are not going to win at this level so let's sign players we want to see play."

A quick rebrand of the franchise occurred. They changed their name to the CliffMarkle Roadrunners and purged all of the modern players from the roster- Selling high 80s low 90s guys like Josh Donaldson, Blake Snell, Will Smith, Didi Gregorius, Sean Doolittle, Buster Posey, James Paxton and the 98 rated but terribly underachieving Aaron Judge.

A number of packs were purchased and the club also bought Tiger legend Alan Trammell as well as Bill Freehan and Denny McLain in the auction house. A couple of players such as Charlie Maxwell, Robin Ventura and Randy Myers came from packs purchased but overall the packs were a disappointment so the move certainly backfired for the current season, at least in the wins column. However, TigerFan - who much prefers historical play to the modern game - now had a team of players he cared about rather so in that regard it was a big win.

As we write this the CliffMarkle Roadrunners sit at 19-29, fourth in the Central Division and 13th of the 15 National Conference teams in Diamond .367.

There have been a lot of negatives this season with none more disappointing that the year Hank Greenberg is having. The first baseman hit .275 with 21 homers in a 150 games at Diamond last year. This season he is batting just .178 but does lead the team with 7 homers. Bobby Murcer also had a terrible drop off after going .238,30,78 a year ago he is batting just .207 with 1 homer and 8 rbi's through 42 games. A 92 rated Chris Short was expected to be a solid middle of the rotation solution but after starting the season 3-7 with a 5.57 era he is now in the bullpen and Denny McLain has taken his spot in the rotation.

There have been some positives though. I am thrilled to see Fidrych is 1-0 with a 2.75 era in 8 appearances. He was recently promoted to #5 starter and gave up just 1 run in 6 innings to combine with the pen for a 1-0 shutout in his debut as a starter. Trammell (.377,3,10) has been outstanding and so have Mel Ott (.309,6,21) and leadoff man Barry Larkin (.349,6,17) but the biggest surprise has been the emergence of 77 rated Johnny Callison. In 16 games since taking over for the sold Aaron Judge, Callison is batting .313 with 3 homers and 7 rbi's. The 98 rated Judge hit .223 with 2 homers, 4 rbi's and 40 k's in 28 games before his departure.

While a return to the Gold Level might be better for the points-strapped club but they will fight to remain in Diamond another year. I will now be waiting until I surpass the 1000 point mark and then hope for another Jackie Robinson-type pull out of my packs as the club is now back to living paycheque to paycheque as it did in it's early days as the Continentals. The talent is much better than those early years but then again so is the competition.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 05-08-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 AM   #1011
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

I got Trammell and Kaline. Both studs.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #1012
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Sanguine Leaps Forward; Cooper, Philly Deadlocked

Attachment 625921Attachment 625921The Classics jumped to the top of S278, while the Gutter Cats and Patriots are tied above the tight B257. No Iron or Gold available.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #1013
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I am against the Player of the Month cards. They are only glorified MLB Live cards; almost the same as Future Legends in my opinion.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #1014
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Welcome all you new people... always good to have more virtual friends playing in the league!

Here's I220 for today:

Code:
			W	L	Pct
Mudville Muffins	8	6	.571
Arkham Horrors		9	7	.563
Gotham Knights		6	7	.462
Motown Stars		5	6	.455
Stephensville Bears	5	7	.417
Fancher Creek Pirates	0	0	.000
Since Fancher Creek is in the NC by themselves, they only have a few games in Our League this year (7 I believe). But that begins this month, so they will soon see some action.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #1015
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
I got Trammell and Kaline. Both studs.
Kaline is a stud. I have him batting second against both Lefties and Righties.
Attached Images

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #1016
Charlatan
All Star Starter

I'm also against player of the month cards, I agree with Kushiel.

For the new guys, here is the search string I use in the Auction House that pulls up only eligible players:

wond|rookie|all-|breaker|hero|peak

Just paste that into the "Search Player:" field and hit the green button and you're good to go.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #1017
sabakon
Minors (Triple A)

Yikes. Salem is on a 5-game skid and headed toward the Bluffington Buzzsaw...I'm just going to think back to better days - in Iron...

NEW ZEALAND SILVER FERNS
Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

Proud members of "Our League"!
sabakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #1018
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

User name TigerFan has been added to the Our League Friends List. The team is the CliffMarkle Roadrunners. Will post the copy and paste list on Saturday or Sunday. Still can't post the all time record list because OOTP has not put up the season six playoffs yet. Of course, if someone knows the W-L for the bronze league. I'm not sure I have all the playoff games that pitted two Our League teams against each other.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #1019
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Kuppchaser View Post
User name TigerFan has been added to the Our League Friends List. The team is the CliffMarkle Roadrunners. Will post the copy and paste list on Saturday or Sunday. Still can't post the all time record list because OOTP has not put up the season six playoffs yet. Of course, if someone knows the W-L for the bronze league. I'm not sure I have all the playoff games that pitted two Our League teams against each other.

kinda odd they haven't been updated yet.... usually done by Monday or Tuesday.... could always add in the extra games later and post the lifetime stats as is....
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #1020
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Welcome TigerFan. Interesting that you're from Ontario and have a bias against the Blue Jays. Maybe as a Tigers fan you're from Windsor. My earliest baseball memory is the Jays back-to-back in the early 90s, that was the big happening in Canada. Although I do understand a bias against the home team, as I am from BC but hate the Canucks. Anyway, I have a soft spot for the Jays, and could say they're my 2nd team to the Rangers. I have Dave Stieb on my roster now and he's been okay.

Given that there's lots of new blood, which is great, I don't feel ashamed to add a 2nd team to the mix. The Victoria Vikings are currently in the entry pool, and will join Iron next week. All they do is hit dingers. We will play Jay Buhner at shortstop if we have to. Username is Argonaut27. Logo is linked below.

https://imgur.com/DhnXc7y
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote