Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #121
Tosti
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat brand, palooka
Cap, down in Texas(all my boxing stuff seems to be somewhere else!), I have a great book that is reprinted from the original. It is a very large, not too thick boxing book, from around 1898. Each page is glossy, and on one side is the name of the fighter, and a brief history, with his last fights, and on the whole other half of the page is that fighter in a boxing pose. If I remember correctly, almost all of the fighters were heavyweights. I remember Frank Slavin, Steve O'Donnell, Peter Jackson, Jim Corbett, Peter Maher, Bob Fitzsimmons were all in there, as well as people I've forgotten. If I recall, there about 15 to 20 heavyweights. As you could imagine, I almost fainted when I first saw it at "Recycled Books" in Denton, Texas. It was mine immediately. Do you have a photo of Gus Ruhlin? I don't remember if he was in there.
Well, if I can get Jeff Madden or Tom McCarty I will begin my 1912 heavyweight, or 1910-1915 heavyweight universe, depending. Perhaps a trip to the Berkshires is in order. Madden fought in North Adams, and I believe Westfield. Fred Bradley fought and beat BOTH Bob "Masked Marvel" Williams and Jumbo Wells in Pittsfield, in Bradley's only fights of 1912. I need photos of all four of these characters.
Are you referring to

Legendary Boxers of the Golden Age

A reprint of a book first written by Billy Edwards?

If so I'm afraid Ruhlin is not in there.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #122
Tosti
Hall Of Famer

Ruhlin

Someone posted this sometime back, may well have been Cap.
Attached Images
Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #123
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Thanks, Tosti. I've seen his name as opponent for years, but I never saw his picture until now. I'll have to have my son check for the title, but that might be it. I didn't think Ruhlin was in there, either. It was a very nice book. I hope Becky didn't put it in a yard sale!
Old 02-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #124
Tosti
Hall Of Famer

Alternative Ruhlin

Attached Images
Old 02-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #125
Cap
Hall Of Famer

an alternate alternate Gus Ruhlin...
Attached Images
Old 02-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #126
Cap
Hall Of Famer

A young Gus Ruhlin...
Attached Images
Old 02-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #127
Cap
Hall Of Famer

The Akron Giant on the beach at Coney Island...
Attached Images
Old 02-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #128
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Gus Ruhlin is "Top of the Pops" again, after only 105 years! It seems like he must have been a top five heavyweight, during his time, behind Jim Jeffries, Jim Corbett, and Bob Fitzsimmons. Peter Jackson was a tiny bit earlier, wasn't he? And Tom Sharkey. I used to know, and I will again.
Now, a series of Jeff Madden, Tom McCarty, Al McClosky would do nicely, around about now.
Cap, during 1912, I wanted to include the top ten black heavyweights, along with all the White Hopes. Of course, the first four or five would have wiped the floor with the lot of the hopes. (I have a feeling Gunboat Smith was the top White Hope, in 1912, anyway, and I bet a 1912 fight between him and Sam McVea would have been close)What is your opinion of this non White Hope 1912 top ten, in order?:
1. Jack Johnson
2.Sam Langford
slight drop to
3.Joe Jeanette
very slight drop to
4.Sam McVea(McVey)
5.Jeff Clark(e)
medium drop
6.Battling Jim Johnson
big drop to
7.Bill Tate
8.Bill Watkins(no picture)
9.Black Bill(no picture)
10.?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #129
Cap
Hall Of Famer

What about Morris Harris and George "Kid" Cotton? And I think I might rate Big Bill Tate higher than Battling Jim Johnson. The latter had talent but never fully exploited it. He would've fit right in with the heavyweights of the 1980s.
Attached Images
Old 02-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #130
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Cap, I think Kid Cotton was mostly after 1912, and Morris Harris was before 1912. Actually, after I posted, I looked at the records on boxrec, and Battling Brooks seems to be a good possibility. He lost to Gunboat Smith, and a couple of other known fighters in 1912. What do you think?
I disagree with you about Big Bill Tate over Battling Jim Johnson, at least in 1912. In 1912, Soldier Delaney(!) won a decision over Tate, and Fred McKay(!!) knocked him out, in 8 rounds! Cap, you KNOW that's inexcusable. When you do these things, you're not going to beat my dead grandmother, let alone Battling Jim Johnson.
I figured out why I slide toward 1912, rather than the 1910-1915 period. After mid 1913, the best heavyweights were probably not heavyweights-Georges Carpentier, Jack Dillon, Battling Levinsky. It opens the door too much. A photo is the first requirement, to be in this universe. In 1912, all the top White Hopes were on their game, and the "Big Four" were all in their primes.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #131
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Oops! Forgot about the 1912 thing. Know nothing about Battling Brooks. Will likely be another hard pic to find.

Cap
Old 02-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #132
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

Cap, here's what I got for 1912 Heavyweights, and it's not in order of ability. It's just a sweep around the country, and world. An asterisk means it's a black heavyweight and not a "White Hope", and NP means picture NW means no weight, around 1912.
Sam Langford*, Porky Flynn, Jack "Twin" Sullivan, Sandy Ferguson, Andy Morris, Jeff Madden NP, Fred Bradley NP NW, Arthur Pelky, One Round Davis, Jim Coffey, Tom Kennedy, Soldier Delaney, Jumbo Wells NP, Bob Williams NP NW, Jim Stewart, Soldier Kearns, Sailor White, Al Benedict, Jack McFarland, Joe Jeanette*, Jim Savage, Tim Logan, Battling Jim Johnson*, Dan Daily, Tom McMahon, Frank Moran, Tony Ross, Al Williams, Jack Reed, Harry Wuest NW, Al Kubiak, Jack Johnson*, John Willie NW, Big Bill Tate*, Luther McCarty, Jeff Clarke*, Jess Willard, Carl Morris, Al Palzer, Jim Flynn, Jack Geyer, Jim Barry, Sam McVey*, Gunboat Smith, Charley Horn, Charley Miller, Al Kaufman, Fred McKay, Bombardier Wells, Tom Cowler(too early?), P.O. Curran NW, Bandsman Rice?, Fred Storbeck, George Rodel. Cowler, both Williams, Reed, Jumbo, Rice, Bradley are "iffy", for different reasons.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #133
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

But Cap, I may still do 1910-1915 Heavyweights, in which case I could lose Jeff Madden's photo, but I would have to pick up Kid Kenneth's photo, as well as the eternally elusive Tom McCarty's picture. Kid Cotton would be in that group, too.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:21 AM   #134
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But Cap, I may still do 1910-1915 Heavyweights, in which case I could lose Jeff Madden's photo, but I would have to pick up Kid Kenneth's photo, as well as the eternally elusive Tom McCarty's picture. Kid Cotton would be in that group, too.
Couldn't snag Kid Kenneth, but a photo does exist because it was posted on Ebay early August of last year.

Cap
Old 02-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #135
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Let me preface this by saying I'm joking

but does anyone get a feeling that when Cap and Steamboat are having a conversation, there's a barrel, checkerboard, canes and suspenders in the room?
Old 02-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #136
Cap
Hall Of Famer

They're called gallusses where I come from ya gormless sassenach! And you forgot the wireless perched on the butcher board.

Cap
Old 02-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #137
ChargersFan1
Minors (Double A)

Do You Have the Ratings or Files?

Does anyone have the files/ratings for the following?

Binney Ed
Bradley Fred
Brissett Eduardo
Bryant Derrick
Conley Jimmy 64284
de Corolis Armando 21977
Doran Pat
Farnam Bill
Farrell Jack
Fernandez Jorge Jose
Girones Jose
Gqola Thandabanta 130450
Gray Ray
Holtzer Maurice
Joh Billy (referee)
Jones Nate
Lukchapormasak Saengmuangnoi
Madden Jeff
Martin Frankie
McCarney Billy
McCloskey Al
Melendez Hector 52605
Mohini Nivmaetolu [George Mahoni] 36704
Nekolny Franta
Ojeda Edel
Pereyra Martiniano
Perez Wilfrido Valdez 95051
Rice Bandsman
Schillie Henri
Schneider Hannes 62564
Sjouwerman Herman 17598
Vaca Many 22668
Wells Jumbo
Welsh Jack (referee)
Williams Bob
Williams Oliver
Zollo Bobby

Thanks in advance,
Mark G.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #138
steamboat brand, palooka
Minors (Double A)

mh2365, I'm not quite wasting away. I bike 30 miles a day, and my heartrate is 48 beats per minute. AND, importantly, a 29 year old POLISH girlfriend. But I am 53, and other than the canes, your scenario sounds cozy.
Cap, I think going ahead with 1912 WITHOUT Jeff Madden, but that means I've got to kick Jack Reed and Al Williams and a couple of others out. I'm giving Sailor White(!) a title shot at Jack Johnson first, because he'll never get another chance. The fight will take place outside, next to Beaver Brook Road, in Lyme, Connecticut. People will take trolleys and trains from all over, then will leave wondering why they wasted their money on such a mismatch. They WILL get to see either Bombardier Wells or Al Palzer fight Carl Morris, on the undercard, to see who Johnson's next challenger is. Andy Morris will be fed to Sam Langford as the show's closer.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #139
Cap
Hall Of Famer

...have you got a computer yet?

Cap
Old 02-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #140
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Quote:
a 29 year old POLISH girlfriend.

Of course with her being Polish I have to ask ... does she maybe just think you are her grandpa?

As always just kidding you Steamboat ... It's all the different characters that make the TBCB board so good, and you are definitely one of them.

Congrats on the 29 y/o gf. I always tell my wife (I'm 37, she's 33) that when she turns 40 I'm trading her in for a newer model, no I have proof that it can happen
Closed Thread