Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Reed
All Star Starter

3D animation push

I have seen several posts lately from people frustrated with 3D and some gamers going back to 2D. I and some others in the past month have been really busy logging the error/problems we see over in the technical issues/animation section of this forum. There are several pages since the last patch with posts describing various animation weirdness.
I think PT is running smoothly now and most of the other issues have been pretty much resolved and as the season starts winding down I would love to see a major push to improve the animations-before the next patch or sale. I ASSUME any animation fixed now will help with the rollout of OOTP 21. Developers can correct me if my assumption is wrong.
This post is to remind gamers that there is an easy way to post the weirdness you see, over in the Technical Section, and I ASSUME/HOPE the OOTP team will use this information as we wind down OOTP 20.
In the animation issue thread the last comment from a developer was last April on page 3 of now 10 pages. Let us know if our posts are being looked at or if there is no further need to post!!!
Thanks for reading

Last edited by Reed; 08-18-2019 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Added line
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:37 AM   #2
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

The movements are more awkward then ever and many dumb plays still exist.

Too frustrating for me to keep playing 3D.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Animation is still very flawed... but it has improved greatly in the last few versions.

Despite it's shortcomings... and the fact that I had to give up my wonderful 2D vintage stadiums... I now use it as I play out my games.

We will eventually get good animation... it takes money and time... and it takes money and staff.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 08-19-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
curt
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Animation is still very flawed... but it has improved greatly in the last few versions.

Despite it's shortcomings... and the fact that I had to give up my wonderful 2D vintage stadiums... I now use it as I play out my games.

We will eventually get good animation... it take money and time... and it takes money and staff.
Same here. Only 3D for me. After years of 2D, i prefer the 3D. It'll get better.
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

We will eventually get good animation... it take money and time... and it takes money and staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt View Post
Same here. Only 3D for me. After years of 2D, i prefer the 3D. It'll get better.
Totally agree, I couldn't go back to text only. It's 3D all the way for me.

Sure there are plays I see that just aren't right viusally. It's tough seeing what looks like an inning ending double play become an infield hit as the IF holds the ball but, I'm secure knowing the result of the play is correct. If it were a text only game the result would have been the same IF hit.

I think 3d will be a work in progress for a while but it will get better as we go a long.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I'll stick with 2-D which why I feel in love with baseball sim text gaming in the first place in Stratomatic. Maybe in a few years the 3-D will be better.
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #7
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

I've seen a lot of animation flaws as well, but the 3D is integral to the game enjoyment for me. Most of it is fine.

I thoroughly enjoy this game, even with the flaws. Seeing the historical uniforms, creating my own uniforms and seeing them in game adds a huge fun factor.

Would I like to see fewer animation glitches? Sure! But the 3D view (zoomed in to see more detail) is a big part of what makes OOTP 20 so much fun for me.
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
swoboda
All Star Starter

Certainly not perfect but mostly good enough.
I am all-in on 3D, it helps.to be a little forgiving.
Last night I saw this...runner on 1st batter hits A low liner to right, runner goes half way stops, base hit, runner goes to 2nd.
Nice.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #9
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I've seen a lot of animation flaws as well, but the 3D is integral to the game enjoyment for me. Most of it is fine.

I thoroughly enjoy this game, even with the flaws. Seeing the historical uniforms, creating my own uniforms and seeing them in game adds a huge fun factor.

Would I like to see fewer animation glitches? Sure! But the 3D view (zoomed in to see more detail) is a big part of what makes OOTP 20 so much fun for me.
I'm curious about something I've noticed in my own 3D games when I've used alternate camera views. And since you mention zooming in I'll address this in your direction but I'd love to hear from anyone here about this.
So here is where I admit that I might just be imagining this and I won't be at all surprised if I am the only person with this perception. But I've noticed, several times now, that when I take a different camera angle view and especially one that is a bit closer to the action then the standard views, some things that look only okay normally suddenly look much better. Now don't get me wrong, the really glitchy stuff is still glitchy. But some in game play views that from a more distant, wide view look a bit clumsy I have found from a different, and especially closer, angle actually look a lot more natural and smooth.

Again, I am probably just imagining this (though I'm good with that since it enhances my experience with the game ) but I am curious if anyone else has perceived this?
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post

The players are always the same size on my screen... is there a way to zoom in and make them bigger?

Can you leave it at the zoom in setting and just watch it that way?

I already have the animation set at the highest setting in Game Settings... would much prefer them to be larger.

Really wish the players were larger and show more uniform details.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 08-21-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

Loving the 3D now and it will only get better.
panda234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
seven
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The players are always the same size on my screen... is there a way to zoom in and make them bigger?

Can you leave it at the zoom in setting and just watch it that way?

I already have the animation set at the highest setting in Game Settings... would much prefer them to be larger.

Really wish the players were larger and show more uniform details.
Yes, you can modify camera angles and degree of zoom, by going to the 3D model. See below. You can modify the X, Y, Z, and zoom values as you like, then save the view under some relevant name. The example below shows a zoomed view.
Attached Images
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #13
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
Yes, you can modify camera angles and degree of zoom, by going to the 3D model. See below. You can modify the X, Y, Z, and zoom values as you like, then save the view under some relevant name. The example below shows a zoomed view.
Thank you... appreciate the screenshot and instructions.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #14
swoboda
All Star Starter

Playing with zoom and camera angles is well worth the effort when you get the hang of it.
I find it easier to do when you adjust the scale downward for the amt of incremental change as you move camera location.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:24 AM   #15
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Triple A)

I always said the ultimate baseball game would be OOTP with at least Micro League Baseball level of graphics to display the outcomes. OOTP20 is so far beyond that and will only get better. I can accept some of the weirdness because I'm always keeping an eye on the pbp to know what's going on. The engine determines the results, and the graphics are giving a good representation of those results, but sometimes for it to work out, the outfielder has to stand there with the ball for a few seconds before he throws it. I'm okay with that. This is what, the 3rd or 4th year since the 3D debuted with the pawns? Imagine what it's gonna look like by OOTP 23. I'll be enjoying it every step of the way.
Hooray Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #16
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

As someone who plays out all of his games, yes, 3D has improved; but I am also still seeing a lot of odd-ball stuff.

I might be wrong, but I think I recall Marcus saying in an OOTP podcast interview that they were not aware of how much time / resources the 3D would take. Basically that they knew it would be a lift, just not as much as it turned-out to be.

That said, it is a major part of my game experience and I hope that it improves in 21. We talk about the animations issues, which do need to be addressed, but I would really like to see some work on the Stadiums and some refinement of the actual player models themselves in 21.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #17
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

2D classic for me. When I want 3D players, I'll play The Show. I did enjoy the pawns though, where did they go?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #18
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

They were

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
2D classic for me. When I want 3D players, I'll play The Show. I did enjoy the pawns though, where did they go?
"Taken".

I think this guy is responsible... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZOywn1qArI

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Colonics for EVERYONE!"
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #19
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I'm curious about something I've noticed in my own 3D games when I've used alternate camera views. And since you mention zooming in I'll address this in your direction but I'd love to hear from anyone here about this.
So here is where I admit that I might just be imagining this and I won't be at all surprised if I am the only person with this perception. But I've noticed, several times now, that when I take a different camera angle view and especially one that is a bit closer to the action then the standard views, some things that look only okay normally suddenly look much better. Now don't get me wrong, the really glitchy stuff is still glitchy. But some in game play views that from a more distant, wide view look a bit clumsy I have found from a different, and especially closer, angle actually look a lot more natural and smooth.

Again, I am probably just imagining this (though I'm good with that since it enhances my experience with the game ) but I am curious if anyone else has perceived this?
I would agree that the closer up view makes things look much better in my opinion. Some plays that are clunky from a distance are much smoother zoomed in. There are still glitches, of course, but it makes this game much more enjoyable for me.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #20
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
Thanks for posting this.

To Eugene Church: Sorry for not getting back to this thread sooner. I'm glad you got the answer you needed.