Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Nick Soulis
Hall Of Famer

Best default Season

Hi -

I am working on a project that evaluates the greatest teams off alltime from all eras in single season formats. I want to make the season as balanced and fair for all historic teams participating. Does anyone have a default setting season I can choose that would be perfect for such a project?

In other words I don't want deadball era, steroid era, or even the current strikeout crazy era...

Any suggestions?
Nick Soulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:08 AM   #2
Mickey#7
Bat Boy

Having tried something similar myself I would inclined to suggest something between say early 70's and late 80's.

The real problem (if in fact it is a ;problem) is that baseball from 1950ish on is somewhat similar and prior to that not so much.

Even the excessive K rate lets change pitchers 8 times a game modern era has more in common with the 1950's than the 1950's have in common with the 1930's or earlier.

To be fair the 1930's and even the 1920's did use some of the same techniques in regard to the stopper or whatever as later eras but they generally employed their best pitchers in those roles as opposed to "That Guy", Generally speaking outside of that Firpo Marberry or Claude Jonnard or Fireman Murphy etc. they used their Grove's n Johnson;s n what not.

From following several of your previous post I realize I'm stating something that You already know but that's kinda where the problem is on the pitching end.

From a pure stat standpoint I'd say 1984 or 1987 may be the fairest across the board.

Overall Pitcher usage tends to be more a issue
If You cater to say the 1931 A's You tend to hurt the 98 Yankees (maybe) as they have "That guy" as opposed to "Grove" "Walberg" n "Earnshaw"

Outside of that I don't think anywhere between the 1950's n late 80's You can go wrong.
Mickey#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Nick Soulis
Hall Of Famer

Very much appreciate your input.

I have decided to go with 1986. The numbers are coming out well so far however I am still trying to get a feel on home runs. Babe Ruth from 1921 when he hit 59 home runs has 28 going into mid august. Seems a little low but then again, if I think about it, it is pretty good considering the caliber of pitching he is facing.

Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2018, 01:38 AM   #4
Mickey#7
Bat Boy

I think it's two-fold

1) You are matching up against far better teams across the board with pitching being a large part of that.

2) You are matching up with far better teams across the board with a higher ratio of good hitters and namely "power hitters" which serve to eat up some of the homeruns.

For sake of simplicity and keeping and even field what You are doing is the way to go (and I have done that as well and for simplicity sake still will do that in many cases).

However my main issue with that is this (hopefully I can actually explain it): the engine is geared to generate numbers on par with 1986 in Your case and it does that very well (even more so if you recalculate before You begin play).

But in both cases (and even more so if You recalculate) You really aren't in 1986 you have a 86 feel with nothing but killer teams across the board which will kind of rob from the numbers.

I don't know if there's a perfect answer and I've tired a few things to balance that a bit and they seem to work but to what degree I don't know.
To get closer would take a lot more work n time than I have to do just for fun .
Old 11-14-2018, 01:52 AM   #5
Mickey#7
Bat Boy

I'm assuming this is for the "Excellence Project"

The numbers and overall feel is good.

When I do this kind of thing I use 8 teams as well and what will happen due to the numbers game is if You get a higher ratio of power hitters they will more or less cancel each other out, same with strikeout pitchers etc.

Looking at Your first season numbers I'd be happy.

I don't know if You use Recalculate or not but my thought would be not to.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:45 AM   #6
Nick Soulis
Hall Of Famer

Yes it is the excellence project. I had started the project a couple of other times but stopped because of this issue exactly. This time however I am sticking to 1986 with the understanding that some numbers may be robbed from the greats (1921 Ruth 35 home runs) but like you said, the quality of the teams he is playing against I think makes the numbers not so unbelievably (He isn't playing the Browns or Senators all season).

I am now in season 2, and again the numbers are similar but greatness seems to be coming out. Ted Williams for example is a good candidate to win the triple crown and Kyle Schwarber had a five game home run streak, so I like the mix of greatness and randomness.

Again thanks for the input.