Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 07-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
bmwagner1172
Bat Boy

Exclamation Player Popularity in Small Markets

I've found that the formula for determining player popularity seems off. This wouldn't be an issue if it didn't effect the fans so much. I am a lonely Pirates fan and have managed them starting a few different times. At the end of the season for many of my players neither the local nor national reputations makes sense. I'll have a player like Sean Gallagher who I might have started 5 times and spent most of the season in the minors come out as very popular on both. Meanwhile I'll have a player like Jeremy Bonderman who started 30 games, led the team in ERA and Wins and was my only starter with an ERA below 5.00 be insignificant.

I've had the same issues with position players as well. This is killing me because I end up having to resign bad players just to keep the fans happy. At the end of one season I lost Gallagher and Ross Ohlendorf (who had a horrible year) and then signed Albert Puljos (who had won the triple crown) and my sum fan interest dropped. Maybe it was from the loss of Pirates fans who had heart attacks when the Bucs spent money

I'm sure that the system seems fine for the big salary teams but for the small markets it is a little off and unlike OOTP11 or 12 I can't turn it off.
bmwagner1172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

I've only recently started looking at player popularity, but I'm pretty sure the logic built around it is ... uh ... irregular.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

The popularity ratings are sometimes strange, I usually play fiction with a fictional city file and always go through the rosters and edit the popularity of a player not all but some. I figure if a player plays for his hometown team or a team within his county (state) then he should be bumped up a bit in popularity, say over a player who was born on the otherside of the country.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Supernovae
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
The popularity ratings are sometimes strange, I usually play fiction with a fictional city file and always go through the rosters and edit the popularity of a player not all but some. I figure if a player plays for his hometown team or a team within his county (state) then he should be bumped up a bit in popularity, say over a player who was born on the otherside of the country.

How do you edit popularity in iOOTP?
Supernovae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernovae View Post
How do you edit popularity in iOOTP?
Sorry novae I should have made myself clearer, I was talking in general about popularity over the OOTP versions. At this moment in time I haven't purchased iOOTP as it doesn't give me the depth I like with OOTP so have no idea if you can change the popularity in iOOTP, I do however change them in OOTP so sorry for the confusion.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
ricko
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwagner1172 View Post
...At the end of the season for many of my players neither the local nor national reputations makes sense...
Being a Blue Jays fans, one could say the same thing about real life. John McDonald is arguably the most (locally) popular player on the team in spite of his limited value and contributions.

When I see this in OOTP, I chalk it up to some kind of off-field factor, like community involvement, or being well liked by the media.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Supernovae
Minors (Double A)

No problem ukhotstove. I know that we can change popularity settings in OOTP, but not in iOOTP. At least not yet - lol.

Though, I wish I could have changed Scott Richmond's popularity since he tanked my market/loyalty and fan interest when I released him.
Supernovae is offline   Reply With Quote