Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 23 > Perfect Team 23
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 23 Perfect Team 23 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:23 PM   #1
Crispus77
Bat Boy

Any point in newish players competing in tournaments?

Hi, I'm newish - been playing Perfect League for two months, F2P. I've been hanging out in Iron League for a bit, good enough to compete for playoffs but not good enough to get past that.

My question is - at what point should I dip my toes into tournaments? I've seen people say they're a great way to get extra packs, and I thought I'd have enough cards to assemble something competitive by now - especially in the silver and under tournaments - but so far, I have one second place finish (yay!) and about a dozen other first-round-and-out showings, most of which haven't been competitive.

I'm probably not doing something things right strategy-wise, but I'm questioning whether I should even try spending time on these at all right now, since I see my first-round opponents using top-tier cards worth hundreds of thousands of PP. I'm not going to be feed for sharks, so if that's all I can hope to be, I'll just skip 'em.
Crispus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:57 AM   #2
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

There is ALWAYS a point. If you plan on buying 24, look at this time as a great way to become familiar with all the mechanics and pitfalls of Tournaments et al. Those guys that beat you silly with purchased rosters...they're always there. There's more of them the higher you go. Ignore it.

I'm a free-to-play guy. I don't entertain any starry eyed notions of winning Perfect Level. My success is measured by how high I can go. This year, I won a couple of Gold WS and once finished about .500 in Diamond. I'm far from the best of the FTP crowd.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:14 AM   #3
Kushiel
All Star Starter

First, I wouldn't play higher than Iron or Bronze Tournaments. Past that some cards start to really go up in price. Lower levels allow you to field a more competitive team quicker.

Second, as Ty said, use this time to get familiar with Tournaments and PT in general. Then you will be ready for PT24.

I go days without winning but still earning some packs. Then suddenly I get some wins and 30 - 40+ pack days hit. Then not so much for a bit once more.

I am an in-between player. I spend some money on one of my teams, but I am retired so I do not have Elon's budget. I play bronze level tournaments with a team that cost nothing.

Good luck! Have fun!

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:25 AM   #4
Crispus77
Bat Boy

Ok, this is the sort of advice I needed. Thanks to both of you!
Crispus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:23 PM   #5
LeeD
Major Leagues

Iron Level tournament rosters don't cost much to set up and give you the added advantage that they fill and start quickly. Check your own team's stats to identify weaknesses, and also look over the teams that won your tournaments for ideas on how to improve the roster. Always remember that Power is King(man).
LeeD is offline   Reply With Quote