Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager 9 > FHM9 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM9 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 03-21-2023, 09:03 AM   #81
tomkmb
All Star Reserve

I'd like to see a revision to which players get flagged for new stories such as '<TEAM> are reportedly shopping <PLAYER>' and '<PLAYER> on the move' etc because as soon as you click on this news item, 9.99 times out of 10 it's a no name AHL guy, why would this be a news story? Also this guy wouldn't have any value to be shopped around independently like that anyway. AHL for AHL/low round pick trades shouldn't be reported as news items because they're not news.

It's very rare to see noteworthy news items involving big player trades in amongst the plethora of news items described as above.
tomkmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:35 AM   #82
Spartacus70
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkmb View Post
I'd like to see a revision to which players get flagged for new stories such as '<TEAM> are reportedly shopping <PLAYER>' and '<PLAYER> on the move' etc because as soon as you click on this news item, 9.99 times out of 10 it's a no name AHL guy, why would this be a news story? Also this guy wouldn't have any value to be shopped around independently like that anyway. AHL for AHL/low round pick trades shouldn't be reported as news items because they're not news.

It's very rare to see noteworthy news items involving big player trades in amongst the plethora of news items described as above.
I secound!
Spartacus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:19 PM   #83
d9rat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Dutch View Post
I play almost exclusively in Historical Mode, and it would be really nice to take over an expansion team & participate in the expansion draft without having to sim the previous season & using Commissioner Mode to make myself GM of the team.
Big fan of this suggestion as well.
d9rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:59 AM   #84
d9rat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Wrote this in another thread but it's probably best if I post it here:
In FHM 8 the league info/details are limited to the following:
Goals/Game
Penalties/Game
Fights/Game

They should be updated to include:
Shots/Game and/or SV% (they would interact with Goals/Game so both wouldn't be necessary but maybe have both for clarity)
PP% / PK%

I feel like adding these in would increase the realism of historical play, much like OOTP has done with their tuning options.

The number of shots, the percentage of saves, and the success of PP%/PK% has all varied a great deal over time and has led to very distinct eras of play (https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html). It would be great if we could be given the tools to help model that.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:04 PM   #85
willcochrane12
Bat Boy

Smarter AI in every way. GMs, coaches, etc. Make it so if I trust my assistant to run stuff, he does it in a way that makes some sense not just kinda random.
willcochrane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:26 PM   #86
BlackIce
All Star Reserve

Just adding a few more customization for the game, mostly for personal preference:

Number of trades allowed per team / season
Number of waiver claims teams can pull / season (Players need to clear after being sent down to the AHL but teams can only snag a limit of players per season via waivers)
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #87
willcochrane12
Bat Boy

I don't understand why the cap solution for many teams is to waive/send quality players to the AHL and ECHL, the guys that get waived would immediately demand a contract termination and refuse to report, then sign with a different team or in Europe.
NHL vets signing in the SPHL makes absolutely 0 sense.

This is a huge on-going issue that should definitely be fixed in FHM 10.
willcochrane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:25 PM   #88
rendal
Bat Boy

1. Defensive skills do not seem to matter much. You will often see players like Morgan Rielly, Jack Hughes, Brad Hunt, Nick Leddy, Samuel Girard play perfect defensive games because they can skate fast. The defensive read stat claims to represent a player's instinctual feel for what the other team's offense is trying to do with the puck, but it turns out what really matters is whether or not the defenseman can beat his man in a straight-line race. What is the point of having stay-at-home defensemen in the game?

2. Better representation of a player's playing habits. Not every superstar is known for being responsible defensively, for example Draisaitl or Kane, and not every player who racks up a ton of points is someone you can rely on. Jeff Skinner and Taylor Hall come to mind. Despite the undeniable skill, they are not really known for being team players or helping out defensively. They often leave their teams in a tough spot by ignoring assignments so they can always be in position to receive a breakout pass, of course created by a teammate's hard work or just incompetence from the other team. Taylor Hall has a Controversy rating of 12 and a Likability of 10 in the latest FHM installment; these seek to add depth to the game but are really just magic numbers that exist to create conflict between fictional players. However, it is exactly what I am talking about that makes him controversial. A rating should exist that represents a player's inclination towards playing for his own stats and wallet, vs playing for his team. The stat-padder may put up better numbers but he is not necessarily better than everyone below him in points. I don't feel the tactics screen does a good enough job of creating players that feel different, and it's something only the user can customize.

3. Improvement on the 2D engine, so it is actually preferable to use as opposed to the classic or just simming the game instantly. Hockey is a fun and chaotic game, but 2D mode does not yet reflect that. There are no board battles, no hits. Teammates are rarely ever on the same page, and the movement is just so slow. Probably not meant for normal speed at all

4. Better faces. It's not that the facegen results look nothing like any of the players. They just resemble random fat or ugly people. Have you ever wanted to see Elias Pettersson with a double chin?

5. Would like fights to have a purpose beyond sending players to the penalty box for 5 minutes. This is a game about hockey after all, and North American hockey wouldn't be the same without big hits or fights. Maybe the winning fighter should provide a boost to his team's morale. Also, the player's size should play a role in determining whether he wins or loses. I don't understand how a 7'0 player with 20 fighting skills and Skilled Fighter can lose half his fights.
rendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:24 PM   #89
tomkmb
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendal View Post
1. Defensive skills do not seem to matter much. You will often see players like Morgan Rielly, Jack Hughes, Brad Hunt, Nick Leddy, Samuel Girard play perfect defensive games because they can skate fast. The defensive read stat claims to represent a player's instinctual feel for what the other team's offense is trying to do with the puck, but it turns out what really matters is whether or not the defenseman can beat his man in a straight-line race. What is the point of having stay-at-home defensemen in the game?
How are you judging the quality of their defensive performance? Perfect defensive games in what sense?

Quote:
4. Better faces. It's not that the facegen results look nothing like any of the players. They just resemble random fat or ugly people. Have you ever wanted to see Elias Pettersson with a double chin?
I use the brilliant facegen mod from the forums to replace all of the defaults, it's great for giving players their likeness, have you tried that?

It can be found here - https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...00&postcount=1

Obviously it's not photorealistic to the same extent as an actual picture of the player but then if that's what you're after there are mods for that too.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:09 PM   #90
Spartacus70
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9rat View Post
Wrote this in another thread but it's probably best if I post it here:
In FHM 8 the league info/details are limited to the following:
Goals/Game
Penalties/Game
Fights/Game

They should be updated to include:
Shots/Game and/or SV% (they would interact with Goals/Game so both wouldn't be necessary but maybe have both for clarity)
PP% / PK%

I feel like adding these in would increase the realism of historical play, much like OOTP has done with their tuning options.

The number of shots, the percentage of saves, and the success of PP%/PK% has all varied a great deal over time and has led to very distinct eras of play (https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html). It would be great if we could be given the tools to help model that.

Thanks.

I totally agree!
Old 03-29-2023, 06:57 AM   #91
Swedishgamefreak
Minors (Double A)

2D engine need some big improvements in terms of movement and positioning. It's still a big difference between the 2D engine and classic engine as I think classic engine sims the game much more accurate. The points are too low on defensemen in 2D mode. The "players that skate past the puck to the red line to wait for a icing" must be fixed soon.

The draft experience must be overhauled soon. The draft is so basic which is weird since the draft is supposed to be a big event for a GM. I still think the draft classes are so weak after 5 years in the game with 1,5 star potential players in second round. Let the AI send trade offers during the draft, give us a option to even have a timer in the draft like EA NHL and Hockey Legacy Manager has.

Scouting is so weird. At the draft, there are still players with scout level on "E" even though I have scouts with good attributes in those areas.

Also overhaul of the UI. I know that Jeff has talked about this and that he thinks that it still looks like a spreadsheet so I hope we get to see some improvements in that area soon.

Last edited by Swedishgamefreak; 03-29-2023 at 07:02 AM.
Swedishgamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:31 PM   #92
BlackIce
All Star Reserve

Fighting Injuries and adding a bit of momentum from hits

I would like to see more injuries related to fighting especially with players who don't fight nearly as often. Also physical players that play with an edge and are constantly hitting are adding a spark to they're teammates morale mostly pushing the dial to they're teams overall momentum. These energy players not only add momentum but also wear down they're opponents extremely fast (sapping energy and unfortunately adding risk of injuries) and causes the opposition to make mistakes and become intimidated in especially forechecking, going in the corners and forming plays in front of the net, this all comes at a cost of course as these same energy players who generate momentum and energy can also get injured quicker than most players with the style of game they play.

- Creates a effect that forces teams (AI and Human) to play some form of toughness and adds some real value on it, especially playoffs just like in real life

- Still allows the (AI or Human) to choose skill over toughness but comes with cost if players don't engage or counter with they're own energy players

Baked into the injury slider of course that will allow more or less of this.

2D vs Classic Engine Simulation

The amount of Hits in Classic simulation seems more accurate as the big hitters accumulate more hits thru the season as opposed to 2D. I find it very frustrating to ramp up my physical players to hit more in 2D mode and they barley throw any hits. I hope the classic vs 2D can be more polished in the next version of FHM.

Special Abilities

I hope these are added to the draft for players. Seeing them all basically fall off thru the years seems very depressing... I usually need to manually add these to players every July 1st, I don't go to crazy but focus more on the physical players

Training

I would love to see this area of the game revamped! If I would like to slowly transition a power forward into a more physical player, I'd love the tools and creativity to enhance this via training.. Or a player that is extremely skilled in passing but is lacking the shooting accuracy to put him over the top! This portion of the game would allow us to virtually help craft or enhance specific players skillsets... it will also help as players age, and they're abilities start to decline they may not be able to help contribute offensively as they once did so focusing all they're time in defensive and mental training could help lengthen they're careers by a few more years if they're suited to become more of a leader& checking style of player.. ie: Sean Monahan

Notes

Currently to view notes, we need to find the note tab and click it, this feature is not attached to the player in its form. I would LOVE the ability to write notes such as several paragraphs in my own words to complete reports on my players in the profile section under the roles area where they're is plenty of space! A marker of some sort to also indicate what players I have notes on and what players I don't.

Last edited by BlackIce; 04-02-2023 at 07:25 PM.
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:49 AM   #93
d9rat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

1. Another recommendation would be to include multiple seasons of the Team Data csv in the import/export.

I've been looking at historical sims in FHM8 and it's a huge pain to have to save the Team Data every year to gather some info rather than just having a "Past Season csv" like you can with player career / player retired stats.

2. Would also love an easier way to create / share player/season databases. I've been finding that Goals/Game tends to run lower in sim seasons than they are set in the settings so being able to save seasons at a higher Goals/Game settings as a default, rather than every time you load a season would be great. Same with being able to adjust player ratings and share them. Lots of goalies could use adjusted ratings to provide more realistic results.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:06 AM   #94
d9rat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'd also love to see more options to handle how historical drafts / signing periods are handled:
1. Option to assign new players to the franchise they joined historically (similar to the OOTP option).
2. Option to have players drafted in the order they were historically. eg. In 1986 Joe Murphy would go to the team with the first pick, Joe Carson to the team with the second pick, Neil Brady to the team with the third pick, etc. So we wouldn't see Brian Leetch go number 1 overall but he would go ninth.
3. Historical Hype Draft - Have players be rated based on where they were draft historically. Yes, Henrik Zetterberg was one of the best players in the 1999 draft but no one knew that. Have the scouts not see his greatness. Maybe if you have AMAZING scouts they might see him as a 5th or 6th rounder.
4. Option to have the Commissioner pre-draft. This would allow the user to easily run the draft however they want by assigning players to teams. Give them the ability to sort based on historical draft order, historical team they ended up with, and ability.

Basically, give us more options for historical play beyond just drafting based on how they players actually turned out.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:57 AM   #95
Spartacus70
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
Fighting Injuries and adding a bit of momentum from hits

I would like to see more injuries related to fighting especially with players who don't fight nearly as often. Also physical players that play with an edge and are constantly hitting are adding a spark to they're teammates morale mostly pushing the dial to they're teams overall momentum. These energy players not only add momentum but also wear down they're opponents extremely fast (sapping energy and unfortunately adding risk of injuries) and causes the opposition to make mistakes and become intimidated in especially forechecking, going in the corners and forming plays in front of the net, this all comes at a cost of course as these same energy players who generate momentum and energy can also get injured quicker than most players with the style of game they play.

- Creates a effect that forces teams (AI and Human) to play some form of toughness and adds some real value on it, especially playoffs just like in real life

- Still allows the (AI or Human) to choose skill over toughness but comes with cost if players don't engage or counter with they're own energy players

Baked into the injury slider of course that will allow more or less of this.

2D vs Classic Engine Simulation

The amount of Hits in Classic simulation seems more accurate as the big hitters accumulate more hits thru the season as opposed to 2D. I find it very frustrating to ramp up my physical players to hit more in 2D mode and they barley throw any hits. I hope the classic vs 2D can be more polished in the next version of FHM.

Special Abilities

I hope these are added to the draft for players. Seeing them all basically fall off thru the years seems very depressing... I usually need to manually add these to players every July 1st, I don't go to crazy but focus more on the physical players

Training

I would love to see this area of the game revamped! If I would like to slowly transition a power forward into a more physical player, I'd love the tools and creativity to enhance this via training.. Or a player that is extremely skilled in passing but is lacking the shooting accuracy to put him over the top! This portion of the game would allow us to virtually help craft or enhance specific players skillsets... it will also help as players age, and they're abilities start to decline they may not be able to help contribute offensively as they once did so focusing all they're time in defensive and mental training could help lengthen they're careers by a few more years if they're suited to become more of a leader& checking style of player.. ie: Sean Monahan

Notes

Currently to view notes, we need to find the note tab and click it, this feature is not attached to the player in its form. I would LOVE the ability to write notes such as several paragraphs in my own words to complete reports on my players in the profile section under the roles area where they're is plenty of space! A marker of some sort to also indicate what players I have notes on and what players I don't.

Globally the physical/intimidation aspect of hockey need some love.I want if play MTL Canadiens in 70's vs the Street Bullies at the Spectrum, that my team not only receive PP opportunities, but have to fight (litterally or not) for not be intimidated (if not terrorized...).

Last edited by Spartacus70; 04-03-2023 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:41 AM   #96
Afroduck
Minors (Single A)

I honestly don't mind later round steals like Zetterberg going high in the draft. This is essentially doing a fantasy re draft but I would love to see it be possible for guys like that to fail rather through injury poor training rushing him too quickly whatever

It would be kind of cool to play a reality where Jagr was a bust but Alex Daigle became a Superstar.

Going back to injuries they definitely need to have more of an impact especially with major injuries like Skull Fracture Severe Eye Trauma etc these injuries should be able to end your career or at the very least severely hinder it.
Afroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:14 AM   #97
d9rat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Oooohh... Afroduck, you gave me a neat idea.

Historical Play with fictional draft classes.

So, like, you can start in 1960 and even include things like Iron Curtain and historical movement of franchises.

But, starting with the 1961 draft, all incoming prospects are fictional.

It's still historical play but with a lot more draft surprises. Might be a niche add but could be pretty fun.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:02 AM   #98
tomkmb
All Star Reserve

Things like 'Minor Facial Cut' being reviewed because currently that's a 'game unavailable' injury when really even the description makes it seem like it's something that could just be patched up and played through.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:07 PM   #99
Colorado
Major Leagues

Too much clicking between screens on draft day too to see projection, where they went etc. The information all needs to be on the same screen.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:32 AM   #100
Dr Naysay
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Too much clicking between screens on draft day too to see projection, where they went etc. The information all needs to be on the same screen.
Thank you, and I will add previous years stats too.
Dr Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote