Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 24 > OOTP 24 - Historical & Fictional Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 24 - Historical & Fictional Simulations Discuss historical and fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-02-2023, 08:50 PM   #61
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I would love it if the historical forum would return. To make it so everyone is happy, just call it the historical forum and make a sub forum for game sims. Am I the only one that hears the theme from Cheers every single time I think about the old historical forum. NORM!!!!
What about fictional?

Pirates Play Moneyball 1951 to 2008 46,000 views and counting!
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:42 AM   #62
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Not sure. I don't think historical and fictional should be combined, but I hardly ever play fictional, so I really don't have an opinion as to whether they should have a separate forum or just get sucked into the dynasty forum.

My saying there should be separate forums is not me being a snob. I just think historical and fictional are two entirely different games. If I was a fictional player and I had a question, I would want to ask other fictional players. But, in the end, so far I've made posts in the combined forum and my head hasn't exploded, my keyboard is still working and the Tigers are still losing, so maybe I over reacted to the change.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-03-2023 at 09:19 AM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:28 PM   #63
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My saying there should be separate forums is not me being a snob. I just think historical and fictional are two entirely different games. If I was a fictional player and I had a question, I would want to ask other fictional players. But, in the end, so far I've made posts in the combined forum and my head hasn't exploded, my keyboard is still working and the Tigers are still losing, so maybe I over reacted to the change.
Yes, they are different games. Note how many times in general discussion someone will answer a question and someone else answer different and it turns out the right answer depends on fictional or historical.

If we look at board usage in 23, it can be seen fictional players did not ask questions in the fictional forum. They asked them in general discussions.

Fictional players for the most part did not post about their saves in fictional. They posted about them in dynasties.

The board should adjust to the behavior of users, not try to force some supposedly more elegant, more proper, more whatever solution.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:45 PM   #64
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

I suppose combining historical and fictional forums makes sense because the fictional forum was pretty much a ghost town. As of this typing, the OOTP23 fictional forum has 58 threads. Only the Korean-language forum has fewer threads.

One improvement that the moderators could make, however, would be to carry over dynasty or dynasty-like threads from version to version, the same way that the dynasties forum does. It makes sense not to carry over the discussions about the game, as those are unique to each version, but the historical (and fictional) dynasties shouldn't be abandoned on the Island of Misfit Forums every time a new version comes out.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:37 AM   #65
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I would love it if the historical forum would return. To make it so everyone is happy, just call it the historical forum and make a sub forum for game sims. Am I the only one that hears the theme from Cheers every single time I think about the old historical forum. NORM!!!!
Where everybody knows your name...

https://youtu.be/zGdpE8Dsr0U
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:04 PM   #66
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure. I don't think historical and fictional should be combined, but I hardly ever play fictional, so I really don't have an opinion as to whether they should have a separate forum or just get sucked into the dynasty forum.

I’m all for there being separate fora, or at least a separate forum for historical discussion (I don’t see why all dynasties can’t just be in the same place, fictional or otherwise), but this is just plain wrong. The game at its heart creates fictional ratings based players and historical is sort of an overlay onto that where the game looks at a database and generates fictional ratings based on that. You can choose how closely to lock in those ratings from season to season or even from game to game with options but in the end, everything uses the same game engine.

And I’m sorry, this gets important because changes made to the engine to benefit one aspect of the same game affect other aspects as well. This year they’ve added a separate BABIP component and I’m just about reconciled to the notion that fine, maybe we just don’t quite understand all the ways pitchers can influence hard hit balls, but this change applies equally to full on fictional leagues like my dynasty and fictional leagues based on the database like yours (and also of course the fictional fantasy leagues that are Perfect Team). You can just not touch the BABIP setting and, if you’re inclined, you can press the devs to improve the things we do know about pitching and BABIP (for instance, clearly the game doesn’t give high-K pitchers enough of a boost to BABIP but instead of addressing that the devs seem to have thrown up their collective hands), but it affects all aspects of the game because it’s a change to the game engine. There are more ridiculous demands that would affect the engine that have been proffered to appease historical players than this one that have been denied, I think for this reason.

I don’t really think there needs to be a separate fictional anything tbh. All the general question topics are fictional league topics and you rarely if ever get something so esoteric it only applies to fictional leagues (“how do I give my Wookiee team full facial hair?”). And of course you can just add all dynasties to one place, too; since all leagues are at their core fictional, all dynasties are to varying degrees fictional as well. That said, sure, 100% there should be a separate forum to specifically talk about the database translation algorithm.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:28 PM   #67
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Zero posts about fictional. No questions. No save reports. Build it and they will come didn't work. Take fictional out of the forum name.