Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Hotfix 21.1.33 - OOTP 21 Available - FHM 6 Available

OOTP Baseball 21 Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
jdolecek49
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 16x in 10 posts
assignments

Since I bought this game I have realized how much I do not know about the business side of baseball....There is still so much I do not understand and with the help of you guys hopefully i will learn it all and get a better grasp....
for instance when I see DFA I have no idea what that is, what it means how to use it, and i'm sure there is good way to do it a certain way, I'm not sure what makes a player dfa and what to do with that player...yea I have looked at the manual but i still am confused, is it only for minor league players who are just coming in the the league? does it tie into together with designated for assignment? and what is and what happens when you put a player on waive? does that mean he is up for grabs by any team? and what is the purpose of all this....with these 3 things can you be specific and help me understand all this? right now im playing in the off season and just not sure how to handle all of these?

also what is the difference between an minor league extension compared to regular one? edoew it mean only where they qare in the system?

I alao noticed how greedy these players are, how do you have a great team 2hen everyone is so greedy, then again you cant hve a good team with on player....i feel like it you want a great player then you have to spend your entire budget on a single player which leaves nothing for anyone else...and then i trynto put in a team trade clause because i want to be able to get him trapped in and the ability to trade him away if i needed....all this is si complex....then as far as ticket prices go, do i want cheap prices to increase my fan base or do i want high prices to increase my income, then there is an asshole greedy controlling owner, how do you deal with those tight wads?

whwen moving players thru the minor leagues do you let each one go thru every one of the 13 teams or do you skip over a few? to develop a player how do you get them to develop up to their potentials? i have a player that is single A ball who is getting all these awards and has a great batting avg but you never know how he will do in the majors ya know?

and the last question that i have is, i have created a couple custom shortlists and I want to delete them, how do i delete those?
jdolecek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
koolkerns101
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 10x in 4 posts
Regarding your first paragraph, I'd advise you not to rely on the OOTP manual or the game to learn about DFA, etc. Those are rules the MLB uses and there are better resources that will explain them. OOTP simply applies these principals. Just do a google search to get a better grasp of the nuances of that part of baseball. For quick reference, DFAing a player happens when you're trying to demote someone with a major league contract to the minors, but they are out of options and, instead, have to pass through waivers (where teams can claim the player) before getting assigned to the minors. Some players can also refuse to be demoted even after clearing waivers, so be on the look out for that.

The rest of the questions may be answered simply with "it depends." Everyone has different strategies on how to build their team and be successful. One thing that does have a pretty big effect in the game is team chemistry, so pay attention to that.

The best way to learn this stuff is just to engulf yourself in the game and learn by trial and error. No one strategy works better than another; you just need to find what works for you.

Last edited by koolkerns101; 03-25-2020 at 02:15 PM.
koolkerns101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
jdolecek49
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 16x in 10 posts
I do rely on the game because I don't watch baseball anymore. I have some brain damage and the easiest way to learn is to ask questions here how it all works so that is why when I have a question about the game and how it applies to the game I asked you here because that's what I'm applying it to is the game so I'm sorry if you don't want to help me but I will continue to ask questions hopefully someone else will be nice enough to help me understand better
Old 03-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
koolkerns101
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 10x in 4 posts
I apologize if you think I wasn’t trying to be helpful. I wouldn’t have replied if I didn’t want to assist you. I was just trying to emphasize that there are certain components of the sport that exist beyond the game itself and utilizing outside sources can be more helpful in understanding the game. This especially applies to the rules of baseball, which is all I was trying to highlight.

Strategy is an entirely different beast. How to build a team is something we all struggle with, because you have to weigh finances, player happiness, abilities, prospects, veterans, etc in making certain decisions. Strategy truly is situation-based. My personal preference is playing in low to middle tiered markets and developing homegrown talent. I’ll retain the affordable and ship out the expensive at opportune times. But you’ll discover other people who prefer the exact opposite. My suspicion is you’re playing with the Rays, which means you’re going to be financially limited. Investing in prospects and focusing on development and 3-4 year player retention will likely get you farther than spending all your money on one player. Look at what the Rays do in real life and attempt to mimic that as you build your squad. Find bargain FA, cash in your prized players right before they hit FA, and invest heavily in the draft and international markets.
koolkerns101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
jdolecek49 (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 11:52 PM   #5
jdolecek49
Minors (Double A)

Thanked 16x in 10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkerns101 View Post
I apologize if you think I wasnít trying to be helpful. I wouldnít have replied if I didnít want to assist you. I was just trying to emphasize that there are certain components of the sport that exist beyond the game itself and utilizing outside sources can be more helpful in understanding the game. This especially applies to the rules of baseball, which is all I was trying to highlight.

Strategy is an entirely different beast. How to build a team is something we all struggle with, because you have to weigh finances, player happiness, abilities, prospects, veterans, etc in making certain decisions. Strategy truly is situation-based. My personal preference is playing in low to middle tiered markets and developing homegrown talent. Iíll retain the affordable and ship out the expensive at opportune times. But youíll discover other people who prefer the exact opposite. My suspicion is youíre playing with the Rays, which means youíre going to be financially limited. Investing in prospects and focusing on development and 3-4 year player retention will likely get you farther than spending all your money on one player. Look at what the Rays do in real life and attempt to mimic that as you build your squad. Find bargain FA, cash in your prized players right before they hit FA, and invest heavily in the draft and international markets.

dude i just made the playoffs