Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #1
rink23
Hall Of Famer

I've gone over to the dark side -- when it comes to the bullpen

After about seasons, I've put together a fairly competitive PT squad.
Finished over .500 for the past five seasons, all in the bronze league, and made the playoffs in three of them.
The one thing I've noticed, is in each the postseasons I've lost to a team that has a bullpen stacked with top of the line starting pitchers.
Think guys like Scherzer, Strasburg, Randy Johnson, etc.
Well tired of trying to beat them, I think I am a combined 2-12 in those four-game series, I've joined them adding Mike Mussina and Ted Lyons to my relief corps.
I've also been promoted to a Silver League
I don't like it, something seems wrong about having a bullpen stacked with ace level starting pitchers, but sometimes you have to do what is necessary to compete for championship.
Am I the only one who decided to do this?
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #2
wblake10
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I agree that it feels strange throwing SPs in your bullpen, but I see this a lot in Gold+ leagues too. Keep in mind that when you change a SP's position to Reliever or Closer, you may see an increase to their "Stuff" rating (I've seen as high as +10). OOTP says it's because batters see less pitches from a reliever, and have less time to adjust.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
chazzycat
All Star Starter

starters in the pen is just good baseball strategy. I'm sure if a team in real life had an unlimited selection of players to choose from, and infinite payroll, they would go with some SP in their bullpen. It just makes good sense to save a roster spot or two because they can throw more innings than normal relievers.

the only reason you don't see this in real life is GMs have budgets to stick to, and starting pitchers are expensive.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
frankbama
Minors (Triple A)

True, but with elite guys you'd think a Rivera, Hoffman, etc. would still be the best option and it still seems starters are better than true closers. Even with closers ratings being better than starters the starters seem to still be better, even as setup or in a tourney which is kind of a shame. Other bullpen guys' roles would definitely be better with a great starter. Especially since poor starters end up in the middle / long relief role.
frankbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:58 AM   #5
dboeyr12007
Minors (Triple A)

Rivera was a poor starter and ended up as the most dominant reliever of all time. Most relievers are just failed starters who did not have enough pitch variety to start.

dboeyr12007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbama View Post
True, but with elite guys you'd think a Rivera, Hoffman, etc. would still be the best option
Those elite guys are definitely used heavily at the top levels of the game. They are very good cards. Most players don't use *all* starters in the pen, it's a mix.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #7
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It's mostly lefty starters in the pen since there aren't any good lefty RP options. Rivera is the best reliever in the game and true relievers like Hoffman, Sutter, Gagne are heavily used.

For LHP though people will put in Carlton/Sale/Price because there aren't better options, unless they are doing a lefty cheese rotation with them and using the elite RHP starters as fake followers.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote