Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
MrHaroldG
Major Leagues

RIP Phil Niekro

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-braves-...174218268.html

I do score at home.
MrHaroldG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
swoboda
All Star Starter

Just saw this another HoFer has passed on.

I liked him as a player for the obvious reason, watching that knuckler float around and cause batters to flail away and miss, or more often make poor contact. He has the big career totals, but I did not view him as a HoFer during his career. Rest in peace.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Rest in peace, Phil.

I was just reading about his 300th win, and how he pitched the game without his knuckleball (he estimates the threw it 3 times, the rest were screwballs and fastballs).

Here's an article from that win, which also surpassed Satchel Paige's record for the oldest pitcher to throw a shutout.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 12-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Of course.

I was watching MLB Network's excellent "Lost Icons" documentary last night (which covered the deaths of Seaver, Brock, Kaline, Gibson, Ford and Morgan), and I was thinking they were tempting fate, because 2020 wasn't over yet.

I mean, 2016 was awful for the entertainment industry, and it didn't let up at the end, with George Michael (not the Sports Machine guy) checking out on December 25 and then the double-dose of Carrie Fisher on the 26th and her mom, Debbie Reynolds (likely out of grief), two days later. MLB isn't out of the woods yet. (Remember, this year got off to a "perfect" start with Don Larsen checking out on New Year's Day.)

Au revoir, Knucksie. It should be remembered that in the 1960s, knuckleballers were thought of as relief pitchers (as with Hoyt Wilhelm and Eddie Fisher [not Carrie's dad] among others), and Niekro had to battle to get a chance to start. (Late-in-career knuckleballer Jim Bouton references his own struggles on this issue in Ball Four.)

A great career considering the late start he got, and how rancid the Braves were for most of the 1970s. A class act from start to finish.

(In April of 1987, I was at a double-header in Baltimore in which the Indians started Steve Carlton and Niekro in the two halves. Didn't do so well [Cleveland was an utter flop that season], but it was fun to see.)
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
Just saw this another HoFer has passed on.
"Phil Niekro is the seventh member of the Baseball Hall of Fame to die this year."

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Here's an article from that win, which also surpassed Satchel Paige's record for the oldest pitcher to throw a shutout.
The projection for Dwight Gooden to have 451 wins by age 40 made me smile. Actual total: 194. We all know the primary reason why. It was natural, though, to succumb to excessive exuberance about him at the time. Niekro won his 300th game on the last day of the season in 1985. Gooden had won 41 games in his first two years in the league and he was only 20 years old.

Back to Niekro, though. This guy was old. Old! He was 46 when he won that game and he played a couple of years more before retiring.

"Defying age, of course, is part of the magic of the knuckleball. Hoyt Wilhelm, the other knuckler with a plaque in Cooperstown, retired at 49. Charlie Hough was 46, Tim Wakefield 45, R.A. Dickey 42."

He was also one of the last of dying breed:

"The website Fangraphs, which tracks every pitch, counted only three pitchers who threw the knuckleball in 2020: Erik Kratz, Todd Frazier and Bryan Holaday, position players moonlighting as pitchers at the end of blowouts."

Another indication of longevity:

"Niekro was 27 before he reached the majors for good, in August 1966, but his mastery of that one pitch gave him a staggering kind of durability. He had just 31 victories by his 30th birthday, and 287 thereafter . . . Niekro would finish with 5,404 innings, fourth on the career list behind Cy Young, Pud Galvin and Walter Johnson, who were all born in the 19th century."

In the spring, I might dig out my mitt and ball and try my hand at the knuckler in the backyard.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
ProStrategyFootball
Bat Boy

I grew up in Columbus and went to college in Atlanta in the late 70s, and loved Niekro. My wife and I even watched the Braves on our honeymoon (and she never stops reminding me!). He lived fully! RIP, Phil.
ProStrategyFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #8
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

My dad sat next to Niekro's sister at a baseball game in Cincinnati once. She was there to see brother Joe pitch for the Astros against the Reds. She was cheering like hell for Joe Niekro and my dad (who didn't know her identity) asked her why. "He's my brother," she answered. "I have to cheer for him."
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote