Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-06-2023, 02:15 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

MLB 2023-24 Off season thread

Greg Counsell is leaving the Brewers for the Cubs.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 03:52 PM   #2
low
Hall Of Famer

I guess Craig wanted to go from losing in the first round of the playoffs to just missing the playoffs.

Good riddance.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:12 PM   #3
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

130 Players Become XX(B) Free Agents.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:50 PM   #4
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
I guess Craig wanted to go from losing in the first round of the playoffs to just missing the playoffs.

Good riddance.
Managing the Scrubs is sad, yes…but his alternative was the Mets.

I guess Craig decided that he simply couldn't Bear Stearns.

(Ouch! That's the worst pun I've done in years.)
Amazin69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 02:22 PM   #5
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Aaron Nola re-ups for more steak sandwiches (no cheese, please) at 7 years/$25 mn per.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:09 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Lots of $$$ being spent, even on unproven talent - https://www.mlb.com/news/jackson-cho...wers-extension
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:55 PM   #7
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Lots of $$$ being spent, even on unproven talent - https://www.mlb.com/news/jackson-cho...wers-extension
Which is ironic considering Attanasio is a cheap ass. I can't wait for Chourio to get to the majors, though.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:36 PM   #8
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Anybody else disappointed that Shohei Ohtani has kept such close wraps on his moves during his FA? Anybody dying for information?

No?

Only baseball reporters who wouldn't mail Ohtani a get well card if his career ended in the next 5 minutes? The baseball "insiders" sound like they are sore they aren't getting extra air time reporting useless rumours.

GET OVER YOURSELVES, Buster! The man's 9 figure business is none of yours!
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 07:05 PM   #9
pilight
All Star Starter

I never thought my team would be in the Ohtani race, despite being a contender
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:03 AM   #10
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if the Yankees are helping themselves in getting soto. They need more depth, not less. Still IÂ’m sure theyÂ’ll take him and hope he doesnÂ’t get injured.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:40 AM   #11
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
How does a generational talent get traded twice by the times he is 25?

So odd
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:41 AM   #12
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
How does a generational talent get traded twice by the times he is 25?

So odd
Scott Boras is his agent, which means that everything comes down to money. Not that everything coming down to money is a concept unique to Boras and his clients, but it's nearly always the case - and magnified - when he is the agent (and it's not just a Boras quality; players that choose Boras as their agent are signaling that money will come first, by a longshot).

Soto/Boras turned down 15 yrs/$440m, so Washington traded him. Then, with Soto due to make $33m this year and then be ready to enter free agency, combined with the Padres' numerous high-profile moves over the last two years being very pricey but not resulting in wins, San Diego reasonably thought that it made sense to get something for him before he signs elsewhere...

Not a criticism of Soto, but so far he has chosen money over stability. Within a year, though, it's a good bet that he will have boatloads of both.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:03 AM   #13
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

With Baltimore and Tampa Bay running their teams legitimately better from the ground up, it's hard to believe that this trade will be a deciding factor in the Yankees making the playoffs much less winning the World Series.

While I am no Boras fan, I don't think he could have done much to prevent the Washington or San Diego trade, any other agent would have done the same thing, and as far as I know agents have little to do with trades(as opposed to free agency)

Last edited by monkeyman576; 12-07-2023 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:13 AM   #14
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
With Baltimore and Tampa Bay running their teams legitimately better from the ground up, it's hard to believe that this trade will be a deciding factor in the Yankees making the playoffs much less winning the World Series.
Perhaps not, but Judge and Soto in the same lineup has the potential to be somethin'...

Quote:
While I am no Boras fan, I don't think he could have done much to prevent the Washington or San Diego trade, any other agent would have done the same thing, and as far as I know agents have little to do with trades(as opposed to free agency)
No, but I don't think the goal of Boras was to prevent those trades. Far from it, actually. The all-about-money agenda/philosophy of Boras - and pretty much any player signing on with him, in this case Soto - is what precipitated those trades.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:09 AM   #15
MathBandit
All Star Starter

The Yankees trade for Soto does probably make them better (though it absolutely cripples their pitching depth; they've lost 10 starters in the last 48 hours). The trade for Verdugo though is weird with the added Soto context; while Verdugo fits exactly what they need in a vacuum (lefty corner OF with high contact and low K/whiff), it also means Plan A is now Judge being the everyday CF, which seems like a disaster both because he's an old injury-prone superstar they've invested almost $400M in, and also because he goes from being incredible defensively in RF to a liability in CF.
MathBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #16
low
Hall Of Famer

Soto is overrated. Or maybe I say that because I just don't like him.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:34 PM   #17
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

As nobody has actually bothered to post the trades, here they are:

San Diego Padres traded LF Juan Soto and CF Trent Grisham to New York Yankees for RHP Michael King, C Kyle Higashioka, RHP Randy Vásquez, RHP Jhony Brito and RHP Drew Thorpe.

Boston Red Sox traded LF Alex Verdugo to New York Yankees for RHP Greg Weissert, RHP Richard Fitts and RHP Nicholas Judice.

So the Yankees traded a back-up catcher, one good pitcher, and various spare parts for a new outfield? Not bad. I should guess that Gold Glove Grisham sees most of the CF time, with Soto/Verdugo/Judge covering the other two slots and the DH.

May not prove cost-effective, but looks good on paper, IMO.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:10 PM   #18
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Soto is a rental, no way he resigns with the Yankees. They may not have given up a lot but I don't see that it changes the needle at all. They need pitching and depth, not hitting.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:40 PM   #19
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Soto is a rental, no way he resigns with the Yankees.
Why do you say that? Because they Yankees won't meet his price, or because he won't want to be in NY? My thinking is that he's a Boras guy so if the Yankees end up as the highest bidder and there are no extenuating circumstances (like Soto really wanting to be in a particular city and that team nearly matching the highest offer), that's where he'd end up...
Old 12-07-2023, 03:46 PM   #20
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Why do you say that? Because they Yankees won't meet his price, or because he won't want to be in NY? My thinking is that he's a Boras guy so if the Yankees end up as the highest bidder and there are no extenuating circumstances (like Soto really wanting to be in a particular city and that team nearly matching the highest offer), that's where he'd end up...
I think the Yanks end up in 3rd place again and Soto will want more than the Yankees are willing to pay.