Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 07-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #41
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsgeek
I like this idea, but there should be a minimum/maximum amount of years allowed in the offer. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Min 3/Max 7?
You mean like a contract? I was thinking of teams just bidding a one-time cash amount... Then the player would go into your farm system on a minor league contract and be just like everyone else. This would mean teams would have to pay attention to their payroll (to save up some cash) because I'll leave finances on until the end of the season, when I'll turn them off to avoid free agency. The only catch there is, how often do I let the AI generate contracts? You can't do extensions, because they won't be processed since finances will be turned off before proceeding to the next season.

EDIT: currently, I generate new AI contracts every new season.

However, if owners support signing an actual contract instead of my suggestion above, I'll go for it.
Matt from TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:16 PM   #42
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt from TN
You mean like a contract? I was thinking of teams just bidding a one-time cash amount... Then the player would go into your farm system on a minor league contract and be just like everyone else. This would mean teams would have to pay attention to their payroll (to save up some cash) because I'll leave finances on until the end of the season, when I'll turn them off to avoid free agency. The only catch there is, how often do I let the AI generate contracts? You can't do extensions, because they won't be processed since finances will be turned off before proceeding to the next season.

EDIT: currently, I generate new AI contracts every new season.
The problem here is that having AI generated contracts every new season makes it very difficult for a team to manage its payroll so that they have enough cash for signing a Clemente type. To be honest, I don't see a very good financial method of dealing with this prior to Free Agency in the game engine.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #43
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhomess
The problem here is that having AI generated contracts every new season makes it very difficult for a team to manage its payroll so that they have enough cash for signing a Clemente type.
I agree... but there aren't normally any huge jumps... check out the past few seasons of your own team in TWB and you'll see... Here's Cleveland's....

I could do it every 2nd or 3rd year... Or just add them to the amateur draft.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #44
BPS
All Star Reserve

Matt,

Would it be possible to have available online all almanac information (particularly player pages) for all years in the past?

By any great miracle would it be possible to run CATOBASE for the complete history of the league and make the data available online?

I know the above would involve lots of work but it sure would be nice to have all this information.

Lacking the above I guess I'll just have to grab the data from the existing almanacs (for Philadelphia A's), mess with it in Excel, and import it into Access, and then create my own historical database (for A's players only).

Is this what other people have done or are thinking of doing? One problem will be missing stats for years an A's player when he is on another team. I see the A's have been trading like crazy recently.

Thanks.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:55 PM   #45
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

urrr... I only wish I could run Cato... BELIEVE ME, if I could, it would've been up many, many seasons ago... however, like a moron, I didn't keep some early files, so it's impossible... I made a request to him about extracting info from almanacs, so we'll see...

However, the first 35 yrs of almanacs are up... check the last 10 or so pages of the time warp thread for the links... I know I re-posted them for Carlton...

Soon, I'll get an almanac index page up & get these last few yrs up....
Old 07-14-2004, 04:47 PM   #46
jdw
All Star Starter

I suspect there would be some limits in extracting things from existing almanacs. I think I wrote about the problem of people being traded and how their stats get effected in team totals. I suspect that splits data would need the box scores at the very least.

On BPS's question of dumping stuff into Excel and then Access, I certainly wasn't going to go that far. It's going to take enough time and effort to write White Sox history items...

John
jdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:23 PM   #47
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw
I suspect there would be some limits in extracting things from existing almanacs. I think I wrote about the problem of people being traded and how their stats get effected in team totals. I suspect that splits data would need the box scores at the very least.

On BPS's question of dumping stuff into Excel and then Access, I certainly wasn't going to go that far. It's going to take enough time and effort to write White Sox history items...
I figured out a way to do Cato manually... but I figured it would take a year or two (literally) to do it, so I called that off...

CatoBase currently does splits for trades & properly assigns stats per team... it does not use box scores, but just estimates... All the info it needs is in the almanac, except the players.dat file (and maybe the schedule, but I can live w/out that).
Old 07-14-2004, 06:42 PM   #48
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Matt,

The new version of Cato extracts from some of the almanac files, so even if you didn't save the league files you can run it...or that's what it says on the readme file.

its equalnicity.com IIRC

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:14 PM   #49
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

the new website is almost complete... You can view the rules page to see a pretty exhaustive look at some of the things GM's are going to face, particularly in the 'transactions' and 'historical rules timeline' section... pay particular attention to stuff like trade deadline, interleague trading and bonus players....
Old 07-16-2004, 07:16 PM   #50
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton
Matt,

The new version of Cato extracts from some of the almanac files, so even if you didn't save the league files you can run it...or that's what it says on the readme file.

its equalnicity.com IIRC
Where in the readme did you see this?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:09 PM   #51
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Maybe it was the editorial or revisions.txt in the download.

But I KNOW I read that somewhere...

maybe a PM to jcato will get you a response, so that we can have CatoBase up and running before we go live?
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:36 PM   #52
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
the new website is almost complete... You can view the rules page to see a pretty exhaustive look at some of the things GM's are going to face, particularly in the 'transactions' and 'historical rules timeline' section... pay particular attention to stuff like trade deadline, interleague trading and bonus players....
Wow, I just read through the rules. Never played in a league this detailed. Should be very interesting.

One thing, on the major league roster size, I'm sure there was a year or two in the 1970's when each team kept only 24 players on the major league roster. I believe this may have been an agreement between the teams. I'll see if I can find details.

Also, I MAY have mentioned this before but I'd love to take over the Mets expansion team in 1962. Not sure if that'll cause a problem because I have the Giants. I'd be willing to turn over the Giants a couple seasons early and wait for expansion.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:26 PM   #53
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

I would like to hear any opinions on what I should do with the Time Warp thread after we go-live in 1946. Since many stories will be posted on the website or TWB message board, should I still keep updating the thread here on the ootp boards? Or should I just expect people who want to follow the league to gravitate over to our new site for updates, discussion and HOF voting?
Old 08-24-2004, 07:28 PM   #54
Vris
Hall Of Famer

I don't think you have to do major updates. I think a simple recap of the year, or throw a link over when it's time to do the voting will suffice. The real diehards will follow, but you will always get a newbie or something who would like to know more.
Vris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:03 AM   #55
metsgeek
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I'd much prefer to keep this thread going. Perhaps not in the same exact format, but I like the idea of spectators.

Face it, TWB has become an icon on the dynasty forums. We shouldn't kill it. I definitely think the HOF voting should remain on the forums. We'll all be here anyway, and the more votes the merrier.

109 seasons and still running strong!!!
metsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:23 AM   #56
tward13
All Star Starter

Keep it here. It will be interesting to have spectators to comment on the moves of the various GMs. Not something you generally have to deal with in an online league. Maybe some articles from the "home town" papers, questioning the management?
Old 08-25-2004, 01:38 AM   #57
ifspuds
Hall Of Famer

I agree with metsgeek and tward. There are more people interested in the threads than will be GMs in the live version. And people will want to know about their ancestors, and this is an easy place to keep that information going.

The thread is a classic. It'd be a shame to see it leave the OOTP forums.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:36 AM   #58
tward13
All Star Starter

And one more thing, in a few seasons we'll be looking for more GMs to expand. Have to keep the faithful readers who aren't interested.

Maybe we could have articles start in posts on this thread with a link to the full story inside, which would take the reader to the TW site?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:02 AM   #59
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13
Maybe we could have articles start in posts on this thread with a link to the full story inside, which would take the reader to the TW site?
That's a good idea... I would like to keep as much as possible on the TWB site simply for posterity. We could always post in one place, then copy/paste on the other, or post the beginning of the story w/ a link etc.

A new question then: Should I keep the current thread going, or send it to the archives with a new post-war, real-GM thread that would start off with a link to the original thread? A new thread would be easier to navigate & the old one just a click away, but the old thread is also powerful to a new viewer's eye. I'm torn....
Old 08-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #60
Ankhiel
Major Leagues

Quote:
That's a good idea... I would like to keep as much as possible on the TWB site simply for posterity. We could always post in one place, then copy/paste on the other, or post the beginning of the story w/ a link etc.

A new question then: Should I keep the current thread going, or send it to the archives with a new post-war, real-GM thread that would start off with a link to the original thread? A new thread would be easier to navigate & the old one just a click away, but the old thread is also powerful to a new viewer's eye. I'm torn....
i would go with a new thread.
could also give us a tool to see which GM is actively posting about his team and who isnt.

Join the fun
Ankhiel is offline   Reply With Quote