Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
KBLover
All Star Reserve

Batting Stats By Count

Does the game work this way? If the ball in play happens to be on 0-2, the hitter is likely to do poorly? When I sim, most hitters do poorly on 0-2 and 1-2, according to their splits, which makes sense.

I don't take control of very many games so I don't know about that. I usually watch them play out with manager making moves and in per-PA mode.

I was just curious.

The other question is...if this is how the game does things, at least when simming or watching a game without taking control, what can I do about it, ratings-wise? Or is it just purely random outside of BB or K?
KBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
dpd376
Minors (Double A)

Yes. If you go into the batter's detailed stats, you'll see stats by count. After a good number of games, you'll see batters do much better in hitter's counts than vice versa.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Its not "purely random". In real baseball, hitters do much better with a 3-1 count than they do with an 0-2 count. If you think about it, it makes sense since with 0-2 the hitter has to be ready for anything close to the plate while with a 2-0 or 3-1 count the hitter can be more picky and just not swing at a pitch he doesn't like.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
Its not "purely random". In real baseball, hitters do much better with a 3-1 count than they do with an 0-2 count. If you think about it, it makes sense since with 0-2 the hitter has to be ready for anything close to the plate while with a 2-0 or 3-1 count the hitter can be more picky and just not swing at a pitch he doesn't like.

Yep. And to add to that, if the pitcher say falls behind 2-0 after two breaking pitches the hitter is sitting on a fastball and won't swing if it's anything else. Pitchers have similar count splits but in reverse for reasons that should be self evident.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
KBLover
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
So in OOTP, higher Eye would mean more hitter counts while higher Control would be fewer hitter counts?

That's what I'm asking.

Is there a way, inside OOTP20, to induce more favorable counts for my players when I don't control the game (sim or watch with manager control)?

In the real game Eye is in part patience/discipline, not just taking walks. Control would be throwing quality strikes and inducing chases on said 0-2 counts. Is that in the game as well? Higher Eye would put the ball in play on more 2- and 3- ball counts because they are patient (waiting for their pitch) or walk if they don't get it.

That's the kind of thing I'm trying to figure out.

Just like would a low Eye player with high Av.K (the whiff rate stat?) put the ball in play earlier while avoiding strikeouts partly because the ball is in action on 1-1 or 1-0 (they swing often but make contact often)?

Or is the count the PA is resolved randomly determined by the game, even on walks/Ks (High Eye more 3-2 K's, Low Eye more 1-2 K's type of thing)?

Last edited by KBLover; 02-19-2020 at 10:42 AM.
KBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Some of those questions may only be known by the developers but I would expect a a player with a low "eye" rating but also very good at not striking out to be a player similar to someone like Steve Garvey or Jose Altuve assuming their contact rating is pretty good. And I'm pretty sure that the engine sims the game "pitch by pitch" such that once the engine is in motion, the specific pitch that ends the plate appearance is arrived at "organically" and not predetermined using some sort of RNG. If true then yes, I would assume that a high contact, low eye hitter who also doesn't strike out much would see less pitches per plate appearance than the average MLB hitter. I can't state that definitively though as I just don't know enough about the engine itself to be sure. Hopefully someone else here on the board can confirm or correct my "educated guess".
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote