Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

When To Expand...

Tips on what time of the year to expand? Right at the beginning of the off-season? After free agents file?

I'm planning on expanding to 32 and would like to do 4 4-team divisions in each league. Also, any recommendations on what schedule to use?

I always mess something up when I try to expand and run into some weird roster or schedule error.

@MisterG90
Mister_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

I do it after free agents file. Scheduling just depends on whether you want inter-league or not.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_G View Post
Tips on what time of the year to expand? Right at the beginning of the off-season? After free agents file?

I'm planning on expanding to 32 and would like to do 4 4-team divisions in each league. Also, any recommendations on what schedule to use?

I always mess something up when I try to expand and run into some weird roster or schedule error.
I have done many expansions over the years of playing and through trial and error, I found it best to do it on the first day of the Offseason (before the free agents file). I have found that sometimes you will have some free agents sign or get offers on the first day that they end up taking and this would preclude the expansion teams from being in on those guys. It also helps the AI plan a free agent strategy based on who they lose in the expansion draft.

There are some good schedules in this thread, you should be able to find what you are looking for and if not, just request on and usually someone makes it in a day or so tops.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...lay.php?f=3632
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

First day of the offseason. The Expansion Draft will be set till after Free agents file as ohiodevil mentions gives you time to scour the FA Market right after the season to see if there are players to start adding to your system.
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
andyhdz
All Star Starter

some also suggest you also suspend the rule 5 draft for that season when you expand or do it before you run the expansion draft.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

Along these lines, I have a 40 team game (2SL/4D/5T) that I wanted to expand to 42 teams (2SL/3D/7T). When I try to expand, the game wont allow it due to an uneven amount of teams in each league, which I understand.

However, there is a schedule published in the above link that provides for this very setup, using Interleague play, obviously.

The current league setup does allow for Interleague play. Would the solution be to reconfigure each SL into 3 divisions before asking to expand?

Any help is appreciated.
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
andyhdz
All Star Starter

you might have to trick the AI and do an unbalanced subleague and then reconfigure after the expansion draft. So setup the leagues as 21 and 19 or 17 and 23 and see if it lets you add 1 team to each league to make them even and then fix after draft.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

So I'm thinking right at the start of the off-season I'll expand. Any tips on dealing with new minor league teams and schedules? And does the game auto-populate minors and coaching staffs? because that's annoying.

@MisterG90
Old 06-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
So I'm thinking right at the start of the off-season I'll expand. Any tips on dealing with new minor league teams and schedules? And does the game auto-populate minors and coaching staffs? because that's annoying.
This is one area that needs some attention, maybe a complete overhaul of the wizard. I (and multiple others) have posted in the beta forums their ideas over the last few versions and the Devs are willing to look at this when they can (hoping soon!!).

To answer your questions first, no it does not create fictional players in the minors, but it does generate fictional coaching staffs for each of the new teams (including the major league team). I usually go in as commish and edit the coaches and make them free agents instead of firing them to avoid possibility of taking the hit on their salary.

Let me preface I am anal with history and even locations of teams (even though the game does not care about locations of minor league teams)...anyway, what I do is right after I expand my league is I go in and delete all the newly created minor league teams. I then go through each level (AAA, AA, A+, etc...) and sometime end up shuffling teams around. Example....I expanded into Charlotte....so I added a new AAA team to the IL and have it in Orlando and affiliate them to Tampa. I then go in and manually move all the players and coaches from Durham to Orlando and then change the affiliation of Durham to the new Charlotte expansion team. I then do this for each level for the new expansion teams until I have the desired teams where I want them and affiliated with who I want them with. Once that is done, go to the League Structure tab for each minor league and then hit the Generate Schedule button and that will ensure that once the new season starts, the new minor league teams added to accommodate the expansion teams will be on the schedule....I don't know how many times I have forgot to do this in past versions and there was that one minor league team that did not have a schedule generated and I did not notice it until their season was already well under way.

I am sure there are some people that will say this is too much work, but like I said I am anal and I kind of enjoy doing this setup, even if it takes a couple of days to get things set up how I want it....I figure that if this save becomes a long term save, then the few hours I spent setting this up the way I wanted is well worth it and in the long run did not really cost me that much time.

Last edited by ohiodevil; 06-25-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #10
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
you might have to trick the AI and do an unbalanced subleague and then reconfigure after the expansion draft. So setup the leagues as 21 and 19 or 17 and 23 and see if it lets you add 1 team to each league to make them even and then fix after draft.
Yes, good thoughts. Adjusting the league set up's should make this work. I haven't had the chance to test it yet, but i'll report back if for some reason this isn't successful.

Thanks.
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post

I am sure there are some people that will say this is too much work, but like I said I am anal and I kind of enjoy doing this setup, even if it takes a couple of days to get things set up how I want it....I figure that if this save becomes a long term save, then the few hours I spent setting this up the way I wanted is well worth it and in the long run did not really cost me that much time.
Ugh, I remember doing this awhile back, I'm also anal about it. Just checking to see if anything changed. I guess I'll do the same thing. However, are there any game-breaking things I should be aware of? I know sometimes with generated schedules weird stuff comes up like some teams playing more games than others in the same league. Anything I should know in regards to the minors (I plan on changing things around so each team has 1 affiliate for AAA, AA, A, A- and R).

@MisterG90
Old 06-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Ugh, I remember doing this awhile back, I'm also anal about it. Just checking to see if anything changed. I guess I'll do the same thing. However, are there any game-breaking things I should be aware of? I know sometimes with generated schedules weird stuff comes up like some teams playing more games than others in the same league. Anything I should know in regards to the minors (I plan on changing things around so each team has 1 affiliate for AAA, AA, A, A- and R).
Not that I have seen, the minor league schedules all seem to work out well in the end and everyone plays the same number of games. I have noticed that with the AZL/GCL/DSL leagues, you can have an odd number of teams and there has never been an issue with teams having too many or not enough games/off days/

For the MLB schedule, I usually grab one from the Schedules section in the Mods section of the forum and have no problems there either.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #13
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

I also revamp the minors, adding their 'regions', shuffle some teams, make APP and PIO 'A-' leagues, etc... Every MLB team has 1 team each in AAA, AA, A+, A, A-, R and DSL. Since OOTP doesn't really factor in the cost of minor league teams/players, it's only fair for them to have an equal number of teams. It causes a lot of players to end up in free agency (which makes it easier for the expansion teams to fill out their rosters). They still stink, but they have enough players.

I don't think it matters a whole lot, but I found, at least in past versions, the AI doesn't handle upcoming free agents and the protection list very well. Therefore, I expand right after the free agents file. I don't know if OOTP 20 protects players destined for free agency or not. Past versions did, so I wait until the signing deadline.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #14
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMuchTime View Post
I don't think it matters a whole lot, but I found, at least in past versions, the AI doesn't handle upcoming free agents and the protection list very well. Therefore, I expand right after the free agents file. I don't know if OOTP 20 protects players destined for free agency or not. Past versions did, so I wait until the signing deadline.
The expansion draft is scheduled after free agents file no matter when you expand the league, they fixed this at least two versions ago. If you expand at first day of off season, it will allow the expansion team AI to sign some guys to minor league deals that may not be there if you wait.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #15
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Touching on what Ohio said....

The expansion draft now is usually 14 days after you initiate expansion. I think. It is usually the day or two after free agents file. I actually have done it to mimic the timeframe for both the 1992 and 1997 Expansion Draft...the third Tuesday (or nine days before Thanksgiving, whichever lays out to being the week before) of November.

The catch to resolving the MiLB issue would be this.... use the PCL style schedules for the IL, and split 'em North and South. Use the Eastern League layout for Southern League, etc. If you can balance them out however you choose, it works.

Also... if you keep IL play, there is a rotating schedule that gives you I THINK 14 games vs. divisional opponents, 10 games vs. each team in a division, 6-7 against teams in the other division, and 24 IL games rotating divisions annually. The 6/10 on which division in your sub-league also rotates annually, so this gives you 12 calendars to play off of. Just note that the calendar is based off of the 183-day MLB schedule, starts on a Monday, and all games start at 7:05pm local time.

How I normally do my expansion....
  • 15-player protected list
  • auto-protect less than three years of pro service
  • Move Memphis and Nashville to the IL, add two teams to the PCL, realign their divisions, and give the IL the same schedule as the PCL and an All-Star Game.
  • Add the additional AA teams to the Southern, usually Huntsville and Orlando (or TBD). Mimic the Eastern League schedule.
  • For High-A, I usually go back to California and setup with Bakersfield and Riverside. The old CAL schedules before 2017 should be available to help.
  • For Class-A, add the teams to the South Atlantic League and use the Midwest League schedule.
  • Once you get below A-ball, that's up to you how you want to setup Rookie Leagues.

You can always modify your League Events list to setup when the Expansion Draft takes place.
BIG WORLD for OOTP22: WinRAR File ZIP file
My Custom Schedules

Last edited by nutt; 06-25-2019 at 05:02 PM.
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote