Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

No defender wants to be Breeland Speaks

Before last night, Breeland Speaks was a no-name rookie. Now every defender in the league knows who he is. Speaks had Brady stopped for a sack but let him go. Because when he grabbed Tom, the QB was in his throwing motion. But Tom didn't let the ball go. Speaks couldn't tell. Legally, Speaks could have finished the play. But refs have been so inconsistent in over protecting immobile star QB's, Speaks thought in that split second it wasn't worth the risk to finish the play. And now defenders will follow what Speaks spoke last night.

Quote:
It's just the risk we've got to take now. Whether we get the flag or not, whatever happens, you've just got to go ahead and push through it and go ahead and make that play.
For every pass rusher in the NFL, the rookie's words will resonate like a Hall of Famer's acceptance speech. The NFL's mission to protect the QB's will fail. Because defenders are now going to take the risk and hope reasonable minds prevail. If not, I'd rather putt long than leave it short. A TD is an unacceptable outcome in comparison to 15 yds & another set of downs.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

To the NFL, even 1,000 Breeland Speaks don't add up to the value of one Tom Brady. Like I said yesterday in the hockey fighting thread, it's all about the money and if what happened as you describe meant another TB TD, then so much the better. I'm not saying this to denigrate your point and everybody has heard my point already but it gives satisfaction to repeat it, I suppose.

EDIT: So to fine tune what I am saying, don't look for the NFL to ease up on protecting QB's for the sake of better, more fair gameplay.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 10-15-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
To the NFL, even 1,000 Breeland Speaks don't add up to the value of one Tom Brady. Like I said yesterday in the hockey fighting thread, it's all about the money and if what happened as you describe meant another TB TD, then so much the better. I'm not saying this to denigrate your point and everybody has heard my point already but it gives satisfaction to repeat it, I suppose.

EDIT: So to fine tune what I am saying, don't look for the NFL to ease up on protecting QB's for the sake of better, more fair gameplay.
I don't think the league is going to to go back on QB safety. The gist of what I'm saying is that their overkill is going to be a failure in the long run. The initial push got into the defense's mind. They don't want to hurt their team. But when they see being careful hurts their team, then which option are they going to choose? The stricter whistles no longer has the desired affect. If it's a flag, it's a flag. But they aren't going to go back to the locker room & blame themselves. They are going to go to the locker room & blame the zebras & white collars in the press conference. For them, they are going to feel they have no choice.

So how does the flag help player safety then? The goal is never realized. Tacklers are going to do exactly as they have been doing since Pop Warner. The Brady torn ligament, the Rodgers shoulder, the Romo concussion is going to still be just as much of a risk as it was in the past. Mission unaccomplished.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

It’s ridiculous. I agree. But the rule is the rule and it sucks because these guys are in an impossible position. I’m obviously a huge Chiefs fan. What irked me as much is Brady afterward acting like he didn’t know he was let go. At this rate, we’d be far better off with an “in the grasp” rule where if QB is grabbed and wrapped (as with Speaks) he’s down. Otherwise this is going to continue.

That was a game altering, literally, play. And on top of all the Patriot breaks anyway they get every week, it’s tough to overcome....and they almost did.

As an aside, I’ve said for years Boston is far and away the most racist city in America. Did you see them throw beer and fingers at Hill after the game tying TD? Stay classy, Boston.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Oh yeah, and if I’m Reid, I tell Speaks and the team it’s not their fault. Next time just go and we will deal with the penalty if it happens. And oh, by the way, players are going to then get their “money’s worth” which certainly isn’t in interest of player safety.Which is basically what Cobra is suggesting I think.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Which is basically what Cobra is suggesting I think.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Before last night, Breeland Speaks was a no-name rookie. Now every defender in the league knows who he is. Speaks had Brady stopped for a sack but let him go. Because when he grabbed Tom, the QB was in his throwing motion. But Tom didn't let the ball go. Speaks couldn't tell. Legally, Speaks could have finished the play. But refs have been so inconsistent in over protecting immobile star QB's, Speaks thought in that split second it wasn't worth the risk to finish the play. And now defenders will follow what Speaks spoke last night.

For every pass rusher in the NFL, the rookie's words will resonate like a Hall of Famer's acceptance speech. The NFL's mission to protect the QB's will fail. Because defenders are now going to take the risk and hope reasonable minds prevail. If not, I'd rather putt long than leave it short. A TD is an unacceptable outcome in comparison to 15 yds & another set of downs.

so back when Steve Young was QB for the 49ers, he used to make a killing by scrambling towards the sidelines, then slowing slightly like he was about to step out, the defensive player bearing down on him would pull up, afraid of being called for a late hit penalty, and Young would accelerate past and gain more yards or even a TD

smart QBs know the rules are in their favor, and they won't hesitate to use em
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post
so back when Steve Young was QB for the 49ers, he used to make a killing by scrambling towards the sidelines, then slowing slightly like he was about to step out, the defensive player bearing down on him would pull up, afraid of being called for a late hit penalty, and Young would accelerate past and gain more yards or even a TD

smart QBs know the rules are in their favor, and they won't hesitate to use em
I have no problem w/players taking advantage of rules. I have a problem with players taking advantage of the unfairness, instability, & arbitrariness of rules.

The current QB protection guidelines are unfair to the refs & the pass rushers. The parameters of what is football changes when the QB has the ball. Refs are somehow supposed to officiate that. And defense is somehow supposed to know how to navigate thru that. Both are asked to accomplish an impossibility. I used to roll my eyes when people complained they needed to play two handed touch when the QB was concerned. But I'm actually ready to take the suggestion seriously now. I don't see a way to play tackle football and somehow avoid every possible way forceful contact can injure the QB.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #9
psd
Major Leagues

Quote:
It’s ridiculous. I agree. But the rule is the rule and it sucks because these guys are in an impossible position. I’m obviously a huge Chiefs fan. What irked me as much is Brady afterward acting like he didn’t know he was let go. At this rate, we’d be far better off with an “in the grasp” rule where if QB is grabbed and wrapped (as with Speaks) he’s down. Otherwise this is going to continue.

That was a game altering, literally, play. And on top of all the Patriot breaks anyway they get every week, it’s tough to overcome....and they almost did.

As an aside, I’ve said for years Boston is far and away the most racist city in America. Did you see them throw beer and fingers at Hill after the game tying TD? Stay classy, Boston.
Not saying he deserved it or it was OK, it wasn't. Glad they caught the ONE fan that did it. But maybe they threw a beer and flipped him off because he was taunting them and not because of his skin color? But hey. If it makes you feel better to label an ENTIRE city and population as racist due to a few fans, be my guest. So I take it you have been to every city in this country including Boston? And you were in the stands at Gillette and KNOW what happened? I mean to make such a statement like that, you must have. And good teams get and make their own breaks. Only losers cry about it afterwards.

And every city in this country has racists. I just don't label the entire city racist because of the actions of a few dunderheads.

Don Henley

Last edited by psd; 10-15-2018 at 10:40 PM.
psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #10
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

It’s not a few. But whatever. It has nothing to do with the game either. It’s nased on personal experience of 50 years.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #11
psd
Major Leagues

Quote:
It’s not a few. But whatever. It has nothing to do with the game either. It’s nased on personal experience of 50 years.
You said the whole town was racist, and then asked if we saw ONE person throw a beer and a few flip him off. So you made it about the game whether you meant to or not. I am a Native American. The only ball park i EVER had an issue with was Philly. Called me "Cochise" or "Geronimo", and those are the only names they called me I can say here. I didn't say the entire city was racist. It was only a few jerks, just like it is in Boston now. And how do you know Boston was the worst? It could have been much worse in a different city. You don't know that for a fact. Saying "Boston is incredibly racist based on my experiences." OK. I can't and won't argue that. But to say it is the most racist? I will argue that. It's not a provable statement.

So you lived in Boston for 50 years?

Don Henley

Last edited by psd; 10-15-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #12
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

I’ve traveled the country and to Boston for 50
years. It’s the most racist city I’ve ever seen. How about that?

If you want to be pedantic about how I typed my message, as if it is a pleading instead of a forum post, go ahead. Even Bostonians admit, by and large, their city is hugely racist. I’m not going to argue with you about the obvious.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
psd
Major Leagues

Pedantic? Ummmm.....this forum is a place to discuss and debate. If you can't or won't defend what you say when asked, don't say it. You clearly implied the sole reason why Hill had a beer thrown at him and was flipped off was because he is black. Then you denied it when called on it.

You posted an opinion as fact. So if you want to continue posting your opinion as fact, be my guest. I will call you on it. Don't like it? Don't post on a place where we debate.

And if you want to continue posting ridiculous statements, be my guest as well. Again, I will ask you to back up your claims. Don't like it? Don't post it on a debate site.

You made a statement. I simply asked you to back up that statement with proof. You have none. Other than your own anecdotal evidence. I have been to Boston over a hundred times. I never heard any racist statements made at me, or to anyone I was with. My son in law and my wifes sisters boyfriend are both black. I have been to Boston with them numerous times with zero issues. You claiming that it is the most racist city in America based on your experiences is just as wrong and as bad as me claiming it isn't racist at all based on MY experiences.

And a city can't be racist. Only people can. And there are racists in every city. Not just Boston. Yes. Bostons people had an incredibly racist history. Won't and can't deny that. But it is not the only city that does and it is not the same city as it was 20 years or more ago. There are still neanderthals that won't accept change. But most people do.

So what were some of these experiences you had?

Don Henley

Last edited by psd; 10-16-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

I’m not going to argue with you.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #15
psd
Major Leagues

Didn't think so.

So just tell me what these experiences were.

Edit: You can't. THAT"S why you won't argue. I would stop before the hole got any bigger too.

Don Henley

Last edited by psd; 10-17-2018 at 01:20 AM.