Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Dr. Strangelove
Minors (Double A)

Just lost a save - could anyone help me?

I've just lost my save, and the latest backup I have is 770 days old. Tried to load my old save, the game crashed. Upon closer inspection it seems that only the world.dat file was lost. Copied the world.dat file from the backup to my latest save and everything is fine, except for the date. All the players, stats, messages, news, rosters - simply everything. I scrolled through hundreds of pages, checked all the stats, player pictures, and everything is in order. Despite all that, when I try to advance the day, the game crashes.

Is there any way I can save my save? I would hate to lose 3 full seasons and one that was almost over.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 05-20-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:24 AM   #2
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Sorry without a current backup nothing can be done

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:59 AM   #3
Reggie
Major Leagues

That sucks.. I bought an external drive just for this reason. I lost my favorite league of all time like that. I didn't even backup locally because I'd never had a problem before. Takes the wind right out of your sail.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Dr. Strangelove
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Sorry without a current backup nothing can be done
Well, every single file except for world.dat is current. The only thing that is wrong is the date. Is there any way to manually modify those files to change the date? Maybe that would help.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Dr. Strangelove
Minors (Double A)

An update: created a new historical game set in 1953 and advanced the time to match my current date in game. Now I have a correct date both in world.dat and the last_date_simulated.dat file. Yet it still doesn't work. The game crashes.

Does the game keep the log which could explain the crash? I would really like to know what doesn't work.

EDIT:
Did a bit of research, to make sure that other than the problem mentioned, all the data in my save is correct.

1. The roster, lineups, pitchings, all the stats, ratings, and player's history seems alright.
2. Past schedule up until the one that was supposed to take place today is alright, all the highlights are working too.
3. League standings are alright, every player from all the other teams is working.
4. Team finances, ballparks, personnel is working.
5. Team strategy and individual strategy is not corrupt in any way.
6. My manager's notes are there.

What doesn't work
1. Scouting turned off.
2. Tar-Heel League doesn't work, and I had a team there.So my farming system is screwed up - two rookie teams are missing. Perhaps I could delete those leagues altogether using game settings?
3. With the farming system some of my prospects that played in those lower leagues are not working - those players are gone and replaced by "Harold Neighbors", but when I try to open his profile, the game crashes. Also, whenever I'm trying to open any profile of a player from those leagues, the game crashes.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 05-21-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You cannot take the World.dat file from one league and use it in another, no matter how similar they are in setup. They're still 2 different leagues.

You cannot take the World.dat from a previous time in your league and insert into a another date - the leagues are different because of the date.

You cannot edit the World.dat.

You could try posting in the Tech Support, maybe (big maybe) someone from development can look at it and see if they can find a way to salvage it.

You didn't say "how" you lost your save. Please explain what happened with as much detail as possible. Were you playing out a game and a crash occurred? Were you doing something with your lineups? Or is not a crash and something else happened?

Details are essential when trouble shooting.

Lastly - do regular backups. DO REGULAR BACKUPS! Sorry, don't mean to yell but this happens all the time here. There's even a sticky at the top of the forums reminding and explaining how to do regular backups.

Computers are not fail safe, software is not fail safe - this is common knowledge. If something is important to you - Back it up. Make a copy of your entire xxx.lg folder on a regular basis.

_

Last edited by Bluenoser; 05-21-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #7
Dr. Strangelove
Minors (Double A)

Well, lesson learned. I'm now in the middle of what I've lost so it's alright.

I know I should make backups and I made several of them before, and this time I was sure I made one after my last World Series but I did not.

I've lost it because I downloaded some files and had no free space on my C: disk. Pretty embarrassing.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

You should be able to restore from the autosave function. Instructions on doing that follow:

To restore from the automatic backup, do the following:

1) Open the game and on the start screen, click on Settings (or Preferences in OOTP 11-14).

2) Now click on the tab "Troubleshooting".

3) Click "Open folder containing saved games".

4) Now open up the league folder you're wanting to restore.

5) Then select all of the .dat files in the folder and back them up (just in case) by copying them to a temporary folder or creating a zipped file with them

6) Open the folder called "auto-save".

7) In there, select all of the ".dat" files and copy them to the league folder (the parent of the current folder) overwriting all of the ".dat" files in the league folder.

Now start the game and load your league. If it's successful, it will display a message letting you know it's cleaning up text files. This might take several minutes to complete (or even longer if the auto-save backup is older, like from the beginning of the year).

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

This reminded me to backup again. I just did it now.

Lucas,
Is there any reason that just hitting "Backup Current Game" wouldn't be sufficient as long as I am fine with everything I've done so far?

Obviously if I wanted to go back two years or something I couldn't unless I made a separate backup, but as long as I'm fine with everything that I have, hitting "backup current game" won't yield any problems, right?
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
This reminded me to backup again. I just did it now.

Lucas,
Is there any reason that just hitting "Backup Current Game" wouldn't be sufficient as long as I am fine with everything I've done so far?

Obviously if I wanted to go back two years or something I couldn't unless I made a separate backup, but as long as I'm fine with everything that I have, hitting "backup current game" won't yield any problems, right?
Yeah, that should be fine.

The game does always create its own backup though, as an autosave. You can set how often you want it do that as well, it can be yearly, monthly, weekly or daily. So that's an extra level of insurance

Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
You should be able to restore from the autosave function. Instructions on doing that follow:

1) Open the game and on the start screen, click on Settings (or Preferences in OOTP 11-14).

5) Then select all of the .dat files in the folder and back them up (just in case) by copying them to a temporary folder or creating a zipped file with them

7) In there, select all of the ".dat" files and copy them to the league folder (the parent of the current folder) overwriting all of the ".dat" files in the league folder.

Now start the game and load your league. If it's successful, it will display a message letting you know it's cleaning up text files. This might take several minutes to complete (or even longer if the auto-save backup is older, like from the beginning of the year).
And this is more complete than simply selecting Restore from Backup?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
And this is more complete than simply selecting Restore from Backup?
It's not more complete as such, but it's just another save point that the game provides.

It does so automatically, so it's a little extra insurance if you'd forgotten to make a backup recently.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #13
Dr. Strangelove
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

My auto-save world.dat was corrupted too causing the game to crash. Anyway, thanks so much for your help, but with a little dedication I've managed to get back to where I was before I've lost my save, and learning from my mistakes, I did a much better job this time, securing the World Series.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #14
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
My auto-save world.dat was corrupted too causing the game to crash. Anyway, thanks so much for your help, but with a little dedication I've managed to get back to where I was before I've lost my save, and learning from my mistakes, I did a much better job this time, securing the World Series.
Awesome! Sounds like it all worked out for the best

Old 05-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #15
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

I backup every other day, but i also upload my world.dat file to dropbox in the event my laptop eats it. I've lost a collective 40 years of history because I didn't get into the habit from 2 previous leagues.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #16
cubfan1109
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

Could you please help me with steps 5-7? Not sure what to do. Thank you!
cubfan1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #17
cubfan1109
Minors (Single A)

Ok I keep backing it up "successfully," but the game doesn't show up when I click "load game." Any help? Thx.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #18
cubfan1109
Minors (Single A)

Also, when I quit out of the app it says saving data base but doesn't go past 0% and ultimately just closes.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #19
cubfan1109
Minors (Single A)

Looks like I might be missing the world.dat. What would that mean?
UPDATE: but it shows up in my Finder files.

Last edited by cubfan1109; 07-14-2019 at 07:00 PM.