Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 03-28-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
tnfoto
Global Moderator

General Baseball Image Discussion

In an effort to maintain the focus of the Gambo and TWil1 Photopack major league player thread, this thread provides a home for all other discussions related major league baseball images, players, achievements and other notable milestones. Topics here may include but are not limited to:

Colorizations
Custom cards
Necrology
Photoshops/logo changes
Player age studies
Rare/uncatalogued cards
...or anything else that you would like to discuss about baseball

In effect, it is a catch-all for posts not related to the Facepack or Pegasus27 Batters Pack and Pitchers Pack (including Topps Vault updates).

Other project-specific posts may also be shared here, or in one of several dedicated threads:

Facegen
Managers
Coaches
Umpires
Negro League or ***
Minor League
Bulk Image Requests
Colorization Requests
Krantzbucks-specific Colorization Requests

I look forward to seeing wide-ranging topics and spirited (but ever civil) discussions shared here.
Download Facepack & more at tnfoto's Baseball Photos Homepage
Photo threads: 2022 Debuts Majors Managers Coaches Umpires Minors Negro League Image Requests General Image Discussion
tnfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #2
Rainmaker
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Atlanta Braves Regionals

Since posting the 1997 Bryan Braves sort of set things in motion to create this thread, I will set things in motion by expanding the point I was making -- and that is that, in this age of information overload, somehow the Braves' giveaways have never been catalogued.

I have posted a couple of set checklists (no photos yet) in the Trading Card Database, but I have no complete sets in the remaining years.

Name:  1995 Lykes Hank Aaron 001.jpg
Views: 12057
Size:  63.7 KB

1995 LYKES (all-time Atlanta Braves plus current players)
Do not know complete set number. I have 31 different, unnumbered. Had visual confirmation of 3 more, making the total 34:
Hank Aaron, Steve Avery, Steve Bedrosian, Rafael Belliard, Jeff Blauser, Sid Bream, Francisco Cabrera, Chris Chambliss, Bobby Cox, Ron Gant, Tom Glavine, Marquis Grissom, Bob Horner, Glenn Hubbard, Chipper Jones, David Justice, Ryan Klesko, Mark Lemke, Javier Lopez, Greg Maddux, Fred McGriff, Kent Mercker, Dale Murphy Phil; Niekro, Otis Nixon, Charlie O'Brien, Greg Olson, Pascual Perez, Lonnie Smith, John Smoltz, Mark Wohlers. Seen offered: Gene Garber, Rally, Homer.
What am I missing? I only found the Belliard last year.

1996 no individual card set

1997 BRYAN (documented on the OOTP thread) Missing Beauchamp and Maddux. Set complete(?) at 36.

Last edited by Rainmaker; 07-11-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Rainmaker
Banned

Completing Impossible Braves sets?

Name:  1998 Bryan Ozzie Guillen 001.jpg
Views: 11932
Size:  140.4 KB

1998 Bryan Braves
(These have been hard to find. Know these 20 are far from complete. Contact me on PM if you can add to checklist!)
Unnumbered.
Danny Bautista, Pat Corrales, Bobby Cox, Bobby Dews, Andres Galarraga, Tom Glavine, Tony Graffanino, Ozzie Guillen, Andruw Jones, Clarence Jones, Ryan Klesko, Javier Lopez, Greg Maddux, Dennis Martinez, Denny Neagle, Eddie Perez, John Smoltz, Michael Tucker, Walt Weiss, Gerald Williams.

1999 Bryan Braves
(These were printed in two series. Several late season cards had the players' names in lower case, labeled (LC). Missing a few (Guillen, Lopez, G. Williams), have 28 confirmed.
Don Baylor, Bret Boone, Pat Corrales, Bobby Cox, Bobby Dews, Tom Glavine, Jose Hernandez (LC), Glenn Hubbard, Brian Hunter, Andruw Jones, Chipper Jones, Brian Jordan, Ryan Klesko, Keith Lockhart, Greg Maddux, Leo Mazzone, Kevn Millwood, Terry Mullholland (LC),. Greg Myers (LC), Otis Nixon, Eddie Perez, Odalis Perez, Mike Remlinger (LC), John Rocker, Rudy Seanez, Randall Simon, John Smoltz, Ned Yost.

Name:  1999 Brtyan Rudy Seanez 001.jpg
Views: 11902
Size:  114.3 KB
Old 03-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Dto7
All Star Reserve

Marty Marion

Marty Marion
Attached Images
Dto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Ruben Amaro, Sr. (1936 - 2017)

Ruben Amaro, Sr., a baseball lifer most remembered for his years with the Phillies, but whose career in baseball spans across 7 decades, passed away on Friday (March 31, 2017) at the age of 81.

Born in Mexico, Ruben's father, Santos, was a power hitting baseball player in Cuba and was inducted into both the Cuban and Mexican Halls of Fame. It's likely his skin color kept him from a career in the states. Ruben's mother, Josephina, was on Mexico's national women's baseball team. Ruben Jr., I'm sure everyone knows, played parts of 8 major league seasons and, in 2008, was named Phillies GM. And did I see him as a Red Sox coach last year? Dang, I feel old.

Ruben signed with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1954 after having starred for Mexico in national and international competition. Ruben reached the majors with St. Louis in 1958, becoming just the 12th Mexican born player in major league history. He was issued a uniform that was at least a couple of sizes too large, which he wore until Stan Musial demanded they issue Ruben a uniform that fit.

In December 1958, Ruben was traded to Philadelphia. Of his decades in baseball, 30 of those years were spent working for the Phillies in one capacity or another. 6 of his 11 years playing in the majors were with them. Ruben had been a top quality hitter in Mexico, but it was his defense that major league teams prized. Ruben won a Gold Glove in the infamous 1964 season, and even got some consideration in MVP balloting that year.

He spent 1966-1968 with the Yankees, and 1969 with the Angels. In 1970, he resigned with Philadelphia. He played for the top farm club most of the year, but he was actually back because the organization felt Ruben was exceptional manager material. Before the '70 season was done, he was serving as player/coach. In 1971, he did the same with 2 other clubs in the organization.

The Phillies planned to give Ruben a minor league skipper's job in 1972, but Ruben thought it was too soon. Instead, Ruben learned the craft in winter ball, while also serving as the Caribbean scout for the Phillies. He managed the Auburn Phillies in 1977. He coached for the major league club in 1980 and '81. The World Series that eluded him as a player would not elude him as a coach. Later, he followed Dallas Green to the Cubs, where he also coached and scouted.

Ruben would pass through the organizations of the Tigers, White Sox and Astros, but he always came back to the Phillies. "I never wanted to leave the Phillies -- never," he said. In 2009, Ruben told the Philadelphia Inquirer, "I have a 'P' in the middle of my chest. I touched Richie Ashburn. I played behind Robin Roberts and Jim Bunning. I knew Steve Carlton and Mike Schmidt. Was there at the beginnings of Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins. I would very much like to be buried with the Phillies uniform."

For a more in-depth look at Ruben's career, you can't beat those SABR biographies. Just sayin'.

Image wise, there seem to be plenty of Rubens around...especially with the Phillies.

My Vault list, which is not necessarily complete, shows 4 Rubens...

GQ 759 ('58 Cardinals)
GQ 758 ('68 Yankees)
KE 173-174 ('69 Angels...both capless)

Easily the best Yankees image you're likely to see is the '68 Dexter image shared here by Merkle.

Braves70 posted a Cardinals image here.

Earlier Amaro posts on OOTP tend to be on the smallish side (game appropriate, I'm sure).

The B&W Phillies image at the start, here, accompanied Ruben's obit at Philly.com (from the Inquirer), where there are several good images; I just really liked the smile on that one.The Phillies, Yankees and Cubs images below are current eBay offerings. The B&W California Angels image is taken from Pinterest, though the original source appears to be Amazon (possibly from a book).
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
cheech411
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
ruben amaro sr passed away he was 81 RIP

Name:  Ruben_Amaro_y.jpg
Views: 10845
Size:  37.6 KB dexter photo from MERKLE !!!
cheech411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
ortforshort
All Star Starter

New Thread

I'm glad you guys started this thread. Hopefully [we] won't have to walk on eggshells on this one

Last edited by tnfoto; 04-01-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Snipped incivility
ortforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #8
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Curt Simmons' less common Cubs & angels photos.

Curt Simmons has just been added to the wikipedia.org- Oldest major league Players List at #125 of 125. He is 87 years and 10 1/2 months of age.
He was One of the best #2 hurlers in any MLB rotation in the 1950s, Simmons won 193 games and almost certainly would have been a 200 game winner had he not lost 1 1/3 seasons to military service during The Korean War (He missed from about 9/1/ 50 to about 5/1/52 while his army reserve unit was activated).
My request has to do with the teams he played for a he end of his career. There are abundant photos of Simmons from his Phillies and Cardinals days, but does anyone have photos to post of a late career Simmons as a Cub or Angel (1966-1967)?
I'm Not sure if this type of request belongs here or in the newly-created thread.....Please advise.

Last edited by dennis_keith; 04-01-2017 at 05:04 PM.
dennis_keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #9
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfoto View Post
In an effort to maintain the focus of the Gambo and TWil1 Photopack major league player thread, this thread provides a home for all other discussions related major league baseball images, players, achievements and other notable milestones. Topics here may include but are not limited to:

Colorizations
Custom cards
Necrology
Photoshops/logo changes
Player age studies
Rare/uncatalogued cards
...or anything else that you would like to discuss about baseball

In effect, it is a catch-all for posts not related to the Facepack or Pegasus27 Batters Pack and Pitchers Pack (including Topps Vault updates).

Other project-specific posts may also be shared here, or in one of several dedicated threads:

Facegen
Managers
Coaches
Umpires
Negro League or ***
Minor League
Bulk Image Requests
Colorization Requests
Krantzbucks-specific Colorization Requests

I look forward to seeing wide-ranging topics and spirited (but ever civil) discussions shared here.

What exactly do you mean by "age studies"?
Old 04-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #10
tnfoto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis_keith View Post
What exactly do you mean by "age studies"?
Age studies include posts related to player age, such as the Oldest Major League Players list. That list does not relate to the projects being supported in the main player thread, so any related posts have a home here.
Download Facepack & more at tnfoto's Baseball Photos Homepage
Photo threads: 2022 Debuts Majors Managers Coaches Umpires Minors Negro League Image Requests General Image Discussion
tnfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
Buster Narum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
does anyone have photos to post of a late career Simmons as a Cub or Angel (1966-1967)?
Here's a few California shots from TV (AP236) - as it was and also a slightly cleaned up version. It was one of the old uploads that was not in high definition. Also just added AP237, a California head shot, and a Cubs shot I have - sorry, don't have the source. Merkle also posted a Cubs shot of Simmons here:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ostcount=27257
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by Buster Narum; 04-01-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Buster Narum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
Rainmaker
Banned

Simmons in 1966

Quote:
Curt Simmons has just been added to the wikipedia.org- Oldest major league Players List at #125 of 125. He is 87 years and 10 1/2 months of age.
He was One of the best #2 hurlers in any MLB rotation in the 1950s, Simmons won 193 games and almost certainly would have been a 200 game winner had he not lost 1 1/3 seasons to military service during The Korean War (He missed from about 9/1/ 50 to about 5/1/52 while his army reserve unit was activated).
My request has to do with the teams he played for a he end of his career. There are abundant photos of Simmons from his Phillies and Cardinals days, but does anyone have photos to post of a late career Simmons as a Cub or Angel (1966-1967)?
I'm Not sure if this type of request belongs here or in the newly-created thread.....Please advise.

There is a sense that we will be able to be a little more forthcoming with custom cards here, these are part of my attempt to building a Master Set of 1966 and 1967 players from existing customs. Here is Simmons as a Cub and an Angel in what I'm sure was/is a Brace photo, customs 1,2 and 4 by okcochise.

BTW, there are at least five images of Simmons with the Cardinals wearing the new red hat that began in 1965. Makes it a head-scratcher why an older shot was used on his 1966 card. As a result, I grabbed a custom card image of that as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rainmaker; 04-01-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #13
Rainmaker
Banned

Customs and Brace photos

As we are establishing rules to live by on this thread, I need to mention that the documented evidence in the aftermath of the John Rogers bankruptcy is that he purchased, perhaps fraudulently, the Brace collection from Mary Brace, but that it is fragmented and tied up in legal claims.
It was reported in the Arkansas Business News last November that Mary Brace received $585,000 of a agreed upon $1.35 million for the negatives themselves from Rogers before he defaulted, and received an additional $765,000 in a court judgement. (The agreement was that Brace was to receive digital copies of every photo, which was a standard Rogers agreement with newspapers as he acquired their holdings.) Michael McAfee, who has long been the court-appointed executor of Rogers' holdings, said that the fair market value of the Brace images was "only" $250-$300,000 and "she was grossly overpaid."
But the numerous claims against Rogers prevent Mary Brace from re-acquiring any part of the collection. As to its status, Rogers began selling off the most desirable images soon after acquiring them in 2012. Only 150,000 or so Brace images remained the the warehouse of Rogers' holdings at the time of the November article. McAfee indicated a sale of them to pay off creditors was hopefully forthcoming, and a subsequent article (see below) indicates that this sale took place in December.
The point I'm making is that it seems like it would be a stretch for any Brace photos appearing here or elsewhere would be subject to any kind of litigation, especially not from Mary Brace or the Brace family.

LINK TO ARTICLE

UPDATE:
Just found an article also written for the Arkansas Business Times on January 23 of this year indicated that the final sale of Brace photos took place in December, a court-ordered sale of the collection in December. "What was left of the original collection consisted largely of 27 double-sized shoe boxes of negatives and photos. The Digital Archive Group LLC of Lake Barrington, Illinois, led by Jeffrey Kelch, paid $46,500 for the assets."

This would indicate that the Brace collection is irreversibly fragmented and all are in the hands of non-family ownership.

Last edited by Rainmaker; 04-02-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:23 AM   #14
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Brace photos

This really is a sad outcome. I met George Brace once. I had visited his home in Chicago. He was a real gentleman who welcomed me graciously. He even took me to his basement to show me the many file cabinets containing the negatives representing the photos in his collection. It's understandable why Mary Brace wanted to keep the collection intact. It was well indexed, and I still have a copy of that index. It really is a tragedy that the collection apparently is now scattered to the winds.
Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:37 AM   #15
Rainmaker
Banned

Checklisting more impossible Braves sets

2000 Bryan Braves
Attended many of the giveaways myself that year, so this is pretty close to everything. The wrinkle is that the Braves, instead of reaching down too deeply for rookies and scrubs, issued two versions of select players. No rhyme or reason for this; logically, they were printed in equal number, but that doesn't mean they were all given away. I cannot speak to version scarcity, nor am I sure I have them all.
Standard size. Set size as checklisted: 39, including 5 photo variations).
Andy Ashby, Bobby Bonilla, John Burkett, Pat Corrales, Bobby Cox, Bobby Dews, Rafael Furcal, Andres Galarraga (V1 fielding, V2 batting), Tom Glavine, Glenn Hubbard, Andruw Jones (V1 batting stance, V2 follow through), Chipper Jones (V1 fielding, V2 swinging), Brian Jordan (V1 batting stance, V2 portrait), Wally Joyner, Kerry Lightenberg, Keith Lockhart, Javy Lopez (V1 batting stance, V2 catching), Greg Maddux, Leo Mazzone, Kevin McGlinchy,Kevin Millwood, Terry Mullholland, Eddie Perez, Odalis Perez, Mike Remlinger, Merv Rettenmund, John Rocker, Reggie Sanders, Rudy Seanez, John Smoltz, B.J. Surhoff, Quilvio Veras, Walt Weiss, Ned Yost.

Name:  2000 Chipper Jones Bryan V1.jpg
Views: 10780
Size:  107.1 KB Name:  2000 Chipper Jones Bryan V2.jpg
Views: 10539
Size:  108.1 KB
Old 04-02-2017, 02:34 AM   #16
Rainmaker
Banned

2001 Bryan Braves

The 2001 Bryan Braves set is filled with as many single-season Braves as that first, 1989, Dubuque set. Among those who came and went, the most poignant is easily Ken Caminiti, in what was his sad last hurrah. He still looked like a million bucks, but he was unable to contribute much of anything in his half-season in an Atlanta uniform and would be dead three years later after a lifetime of abusing PEDs.
Standard size cards. 32 different known, and checklisted here. Missing are several coaches who have been in previous sets, as well as Bernard Gilkey and Rey Sanchez.
Paul Bako, Rico Brogna, John Burkett, Jose Cabrera, Ken Caminiti, Bobby Cox, Mark DeRosa, Bobby Dews, Rafael Furcal, Marcus Giles, Tom Glavine, Wes Helms, Andruw Jones, Chipper Jones, Brian Jordan, Steve Karsay, Kerry Lightenberg, Keith Lockhart, George Lombard, Javy Lopez, Greg Maddux, Jason Marquis, Dave Martinez, Leo Mazzone, Kevin Millwood, Odalis Perez, Steve Reed, Mike Remlinger, John Rocker, John Smoltz, B.J. Surhoff, Quilvio Veras.

Name:  2001 Bryan Ken Caminiti.jpg
Views: 10626
Size:  104.5 KB

Last edited by Rainmaker; 04-02-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:15 AM   #17
Rainmaker
Banned

The Most Impossible Braves sets

2002 Bryan Braves
These sets have totally eluded me despite a decade-plus of internet searches. I was unable to attend games in 2002 and 2003 due to a change of assignements, so I am far behind the curve on these. But I am posting illustrations of each.
Standard size images.
Only cards I have confirmed and own: Henry Blanco, Bobby Dews, Rafael Furcal, Wes Helms, Darren Holmes, Andruw Jones, Chipper Jones, Greg Maddux, Jason Marquis, Kevin Millwood, Leo Mazzone, Tim Spooneybarger, B.J. Surhoff, Ned Yost.

Name:  2002 Bryan Greg Maddux.jpg
Views: 10565
Size:  105.8 KB

2003 Bryan Braves
The final team giveaway followed the same frustrating plan as all previous years -- individual cards given out, three or four at a time, once a week (usually Tuesday) and, oh, kids only, no adults. For mass consumption, a set would be included with a team photo, but 2003 marked the final season for that as well.
The final main set was one of the best looking, even though they remain next to impossible to locate.
Only confirmed cards so far: Darren Bragg, Vinny Castilla, Pat Corrales, Rafael Furcal, Marcus, Giles, Fredi Gonzalez, Kevin Gryboski, Mike Hampton, Roberto Hernandez, Darren Holmes, Glenn Hubbard, Ray King, Leo Mazzone, Gary Sheffield. Visual confirmation only: Henry Blanco, Jung Bung, Mark DeRosa, Matt Franco, Andruw Jones, Javy Lopez, Greg Maddux, Terry Pendleton, John Smoltz.

Name:  2003 Bryan Gary Sheffield.jpg
Views: 10577
Size:  113.9 KB

Again, the point in posting these sets is that they are NOT included in the trading card database except for a couple of Lykes checklists that I posted myself.

Last edited by Rainmaker; 07-11-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: coda
Old 04-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #18
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

More on Curt Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Narum View Post
Here's a few California shots from TV (AP236) - as it was and also a slightly cleaned up version. It was one of the old uploads that was not in high definition. Also just added AP237, a California head shot, and a Cubs shot I have - sorry, don't have the source. Merkle also posted a Cubs shot of Simmons here:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ostcount=27257

Many Thanks to Rainmaker and Buster Narum for those great late career photos of Curt Simmons.
Simmons Trivia: Curt made three NL all-star teams (1952, 1953, 1957), but in his highest win seasons of 1964 (18) and 1950 (17) he was not selected as an all-star.
Of players who made their MLB debuts in the 1940s Curt and Smokey Burgess were the last remaining active players, with each playing their final game on the same day. (10/1/67).
There is a span of 20 years and 3 days between Simmons' major leagues debut at 18 on September 28, 1947 with the Phillies and his final game of October 1, 1967 with the Angels at age 38.

Last edited by dennis_keith; 04-03-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #19
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Don Hasenmayer turns 90.

Phillies 2B-3B, Don Hasenmayer turns 90 today (April 4).
While he is not the oldest living Phillie, he is the living player who played for the Phillies the most seasons ago - 72 years ago.
Hasenmayer played for the Phillies in 1945 and no other living Phillies' careers go back that far. (Dick Koecher, 91 played for the Phillies in 1946 and is runner-up in that category.)
Hasenmayer debuted with the Phillies on May 2, 1945, not quite one month after his 18th birthday. World War Two still raged in Europe for one more week and for another four months in the Pacific and South East Asia at the time of Hasenmayer's MLB debut.
He only played parts of the 1945 and 1946 major league seasons and never played in the majors again after age 19. He is a lifelong Philadelphia suburbs resident.
Any photos of Don Hasenmayer would be appreciated. .
Old 04-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #20
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Roy Sievers (1926 - 2017)

The smiling man in the minor league Mets jersey is none other than 17 year major league veteran and inaugural winner of the American League Rookie of the Year Award, Roy Sievers. Sievers passed away on Monday (April 3, 2017) at the age of 90.

St. Louis born and raised, Ray lived just 3 blocks from Sportsman's Park, home to both the Cardinals and Browns. In high school, Roy excelled in both baseball and basketball, getting his nickname--"Squirrel"--from the latter, for his fierceness around the cage. He was offered a college scholarship to play basketball, but baseball was his true love. Both the Cards and Browns scouted him and he chose the Browns because the Cardinal organization was deep in talent and he feared being caught behind others and stalled in the minors. The Browns, on the other hand, seemed to be an organization where a talented prospect would ride the fast track to the major leagues. He wasn't wrong.

Signing in 1945, Roy's career had to be put on hold while he served a military hitch. He was ready to go in 1947 and was disappointed to be farmed out after a great spring. Playing outfield and third base in Hannibal, Mo., Roy hit .317 and topped the league with 34 home runs. In the off season, the press was filled with the 40s version of Bryce Harper like hype as Roy was talked about as the "greatest player ever" to come out of St. Louis. But, after another great spring, Roy was in the minors again to start 1948. He started slow (something that would become a normal occurrence in his career), missed a month of the season, but turned it on late in the season to finish third in homers in the Three-I league with 19. The Browns, meanwhile, were suffering through a severe power shortage in 1948. So the plate was well set for Roy coming into 1949.

Roy debuted with the Browns as a pinch hitter on April 21 and struck out. He soon broke into the starting lineup and hit his first home run on May 14. For the rest of the season, he made all the people who had hyped his talents look very bright, indeed. He hit .306, led all rookies with 16 home runs, and finished 6th in the league with 91 runs batter in. What's more, he played the outfield with the grace of a gazelle. Roy was rewarded with the first ever Baseball Writers' American League Rookie of the Year Award, easily beating out Alex Kellner, Jerry Coleman and Mike Garcia.

Roy struggled through the 1950 season with a sophomore slump for the ages. His average was below .200 as late as July. With a stronger finish, he managed a .238 average and 10 home runs. He opened 1951 in a prolonged slump and found himself back in the minor leagues in mid-June. On August 1, playing for San Antonio, Roy suffered a season ending and career threatening shoulder injury. In the spring of 1952, he injured the shoulder again on a throw from the outfield. Experimental surgery was performed and Sievers missed most of the season, returning for 11 games in September.

In the spring of 1953, it looked as though Roy's career might be over. He'd hit just one home run in the previous 2 years, and the shoulder, still sore, made a return to the outfield unlikely. Bill Veeck wasn't ready to give up on Roy just yet and worked with him every day to turn him into a first baseman. (Stories like this always remind me of the scene from "Moneyball", "We want you at first base. It's not that hard. Tell him, Wash." "It's incredibly hard.") It kept Roy in the game. Though he, again, started slow, he hit over .300 in the second half to finish at .270. But the power wasn't there like it had been.

In the off-season, the Browns were sold to interests looking to move the team to Baltimore. Their philosophy was to tear down the club and build it from scratch with an emphasis on youth (whereas the usual model of a moving team is to draw fans in with names they know). So Roy was traded to the Washington Senators...possibly the only team as inept as the Browns. The Browns/Orioles figured he was done--couldn't throw and couldn't hit. They couldn't have been farther off the mark.

Washington figured to put Roy back in the outfield, coaching him to use his speed (he still had speed) to offset any weakness in his arm. And Roy learned to toss the ball in sidearm to relieve some of the stress on his shoulder. He, once again, opened the season in a slump, but he finished the year with a club record 24 home runs and 102 RBIs. He broke his own club record in 1955, with 25 home runs and 106 RBIs. He broke it again in 1956, hitting 29 home runs and earning his first trip to the All Star game. And, in 1957, Roy hit .301 and led the league with 42 home runs, 114 RBIs and 331 total bases. It was the first time a player on a last place team had led the league in homers and RBIs. Roy made the All Star squad again and finished third in MVP voting. Asked how he'd made it all the way back following the shoulder injury that nearly ended his career, Roy's answer was simply that the Senators had played him every day.

In 1958, Roy got a part (as Tab Hunter's baseball double) in the movie version of "Damn Yankees". On the field, there was a disappointing drop off. He only hit .295 and only blasted 39 home runs, with 108 RBIs, and he failed to make the All Star team.

Nagging injuries slowed Roy further in 1959. He hit .242 with just 21 homers and 49 RBIs. With Harmon Killebrew and Bob Allison pushing for playing time, Roy was traded to the White Sox, where he was reunited with Bill Veeck, who figured Roy as a power hitting first baseman. Manager Al Lopez preferred Ted Kluszewski and Roy opened the season on the bench. Klu was injured in June and Roy took over. It didn't take long for him to find his groove. He had a 21 game hitting streak in June and July. In July alone, he hit 12 home runs, drove in 30 and batted over .400. The White Sox were a game and a half up in first place by the end of July. They eventually cooled off, but it was the first time Roy had played on a club with a winning record. And Lopez would long maintain that the Sox would have won the pennant had be played Sievers every day from the start of the season.

Roy nearly duplicated his stat line in 1961--27 home runs, 92 RBIs and a .295 average--and was selected to the All Star team for the fifth and final time. But, unlike 1960, the Sox were never in contention. Veeck sold off his interest in the team and Roy was traded to the Phillies for Charley Smith and John Buzhardt. Starting the season in a slump again, due in part to changing leagues, Roy nonetheless finished the season with 21 home runs and 80 RBIs. It was his 9th consecutive season with more than 20 home runs. It was also his last as he managed just 19 in 1963. One of the 19--surrendered by the Mets' Roger Craig in mid-June--was Roy's 300th round tripper. He was just the 18th player in the major leagues to hit 300 home runs.

Nagging injuries again kept Roy from enjoying a hot start for the Phils in 1964. In July, he was sold to the expansion Washington Senators, where he was used as a pinch hitter. In 1965, Roy would get just 21 at bats before the Senators released him. And there seemed to be no interest in a 38 year old pinch hitter after that.

Roy coached for the Reds in 1966 and managed in the Mets system in '67 and '68 (winning a title with Williamsport in 1967, but faring less well with Memphis in 1968). After two more years as a minor league manager for the A's, Roy left the game, minor league money being insufficient for raising a family. He settled, with his wife and 3 children, in St. Louis, working for a freight company for the next 18 years before retiring.

There is no shortage of images of Sievers.

From the Vault, my list almost certainly being incomplete:
BA 959 (WSH)
BA 960-961 (PHL)
BA 968 (PHL)
BA 969-971 (WSH)
BA 972 (CHA)
BA 973-974 (PHL)
BA 975 (WSH)
BC 636 (WSH)
BE 416 (PHL)
BW 797 (CHA)
HP 874 (WSH)
HP 923 (WSH)
HP 929 (capless)

Elsewhere on OOTP, you'll find a fine batch of Browns images posred by tnfoto here, an equally impressive assortment of Senators images from tnfoto here, and a uniform variety pack from Basenall-Birthdays here. Braves70, in the mix, provided a Chicago image here and a Phillies image here (both from the Vault, but I'm not sure whether they're on my Vault list above). Fellow Mets fan Amazin69 posted a Vault image I know is not on my list showing Roy in his season coaching the Reds, here.

On to the attached images. Some gorgeous color Gettys--one with Washington (1957) and one with Philly, An autographed White Sox image from eBay seller tmdcards. A beauty of a B&W Browns image from some wierd "wallpaper" site. And, let's see, I can do one more. Ummmmmm....... A pretty, if not overly large autographed Reds image from Mainline Autographs via eBay. By the way, I don't think any of these are scarce and you can even find autographed prints of the Gettys in multiple eBay listings. As far as the Browns go, though all the images appear to be B&W, there are an awful lot of colorizations that turn up in a standard google search. Me, I've got to go check my Mets yearbooks and see if Roy turns up in any of the spring team shots as a "special instructor" or spring training coach. Peace.
Attached Images

Last edited by FatJack; 04-04-2017 at 09:00 PM.
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote