Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Rebuilding: The Denver Grizzlies

After a long OOTP hiatus, I happened to come back to the website and find out that OOTP X is coming soon. This rekindled my interest in the game, so I created a new league (well, a variation of an old league I had) with the intention of importing it to OOTP X when it comes out.

In my last failed dynasty, I gave up/lost interest for two reasons: 1.) school started, and so I don't really have tons of time (I set most of this up during spring break), but after the school year ends, I'll have it already going with all summer to play. 2.) The stats were out of whack. I used the default modifiers, leading to a league where just about everyone hits .300, and ERAs are mostly astronomical. This time, I am using Skydog's fictional league settings, which give much more realistic numbers, I believe. I have plans to expand the universe in the future, with some possibly fun ideas.

Updates may be few and far between until after finals, but let's give this a try!

dkmsoxfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Denver hires new general manager
28-year-old O'Higgins to make personnel decisions
Nov. 1, 1999

DENVER - The Denver Grizzlies will have a new man calling the shots in the front office this offseason. At a press conference yesterday, team president Tom Raymond officially introduced 28-year-old Bernardo O'Higgins as the team's new general manager. O'Higgins, who has worked as an assistant in the organization, will become the league's youngest general manager.

When asked about his inexperience and how it would affect his performance, O'Higgins said, "I don't think that will be a problem. Experience doesn't always mean success, and that is shown in many organizations. I've followed the game of baseball my whole life, and I know the United States Baseball Association. The experience will come.

Denver, one of the league's most historically futile franchises, has not played in the postseason since 1980 and has finished below .500 every season except 1993 in that span. Their three playoff appearances since the league's founding in 1954 ranks just ahead of the Charlotte Flyers' two as worst among original teams. Last year, the Grizzlies finished 68-94, good for fifth place in the Northern Division of the Western League.

When asked about his first move as general manager, O'Higgins was secretive, saying only, "You'll find out soon enough." He added, "We, as an organization, have a lot of work to do to rebuild this franchise. But mark my words, we will be a powerhouse in this league sooner rather than later."

Old 03-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Grizzlies retain 4 through arbitration
Nov. 6, 1999

DENVER - New contracts were handed out yesterday throughout the league via arbitration. The Denver Grizzlies entered the day with six arbitration-eligible players and have kept four under contract for 2000 while non-tendering two.

Star third baseman Jarrod Sims received $7 million for his 2000 contract. The 27-year-old Sims hit .311 with nine home runs and 72 runs batted in last year, and is known for his stellar defense at the hot corner. Sims earned the league minimum last year. Catcher Marcos Alaniz, meanwhile, will make slightly less than last year. The 34-year-old will make $5.1 million, down from $6.4 million last year. Four other Grizzlies - second baseman Victor Aguilar, shortstop Dave Hodges, reliever Britt Hendricks, and outfielder Damon Wilson - received league-minimum contracts for 2000.

The club did not offer arbitration to outfielder Adam Simmons or reliever Alfonso Rodriguez. Simmons, 30, hit .252 with 11 home runs and 37 runs batted in while playing in 88 games. He earned $4.8 million last year. Rodriguez, 31, posted an earned run average of 5.31 in 54 appearances last year, making a salary of $1.4 million.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Hot Stove Report - Ten Free Agents to Watch
Nov. 8, 1999

The annual "silly season" of baseball is upon us, and with it comes hopeful speculation on trades and free agent signings. Who will your team go after? Here are ten players certain to garner some attention (and money) in the coming weeks and months.

1.) 3B Luis Santos, 33
There are some questions about Santos, who has put up back-to-back seasons of 25-plus home runs, 120-plus runs batted in, and OPS of above .870. Prior to joining the Milwaukee Bulls in 1998, Santos had never hit more than 18 home runs or put up an average above .267. Still, his production over the last two years at the third base position will drive his price sky-high.

2.) 1B Aaron Oliver, 35
Oliver has spent the last seven seasons with the Miami Pelicans, averaging 20 homers per year. Over the last three seasons, he has put up averages of .305, .312, and .321. Last season, he hit 28 dingers and drove in 108 runs. Oliver would be the centerpiece of any lineup for at least 3 more years. Look for him to command a hefty contract in the $20 million range.

3.) SP Kenny Brown, 31
Brown put up just a 13-18 record last year, but that was with lowly San Francisco. He is just a year removed from a season in which he went 18-12 with a 2.61 ERA. His age and production make him the top starter on the market this winter.

4.) C Jose Navarro, 34
Spending upwards of $10 or $15 million on a 34-year-old catcher seems like a dicey proposition, but it's hard to find production from a backstop like Navarro provided. Kenny Brown's batterymate with San Francisco, Navarro hit .312 with 21 home runs and 87 runs batted in last year.

5.) CF Shawn Lauton, 30
Lauton, who has spent all but one major league season with the expansion Pittsburgh Miners, is still in his prime. When he's at his best, he is a machine at getting on base, and he is just two years removed from hitting 50 home runs. However, his 1998 season, in which he hit just .223, raises some red flags.

6.) SP Martin Brunt, 36
Teams seeking a veteran presence at the top of their rotation will no doubt be interested in the Canadian righty and two-time J.D. Axworthy award winner for best pitcher. Assuming his 1998 season (8-13, 5.22) with Boston was a fluke, he would be a smart investment for two or three years, particularly for a team with young, promising pitchers.

7.) SP Michael Shaner, 32
The remaining prize of the available starting pitchers is this 32-year-old lefty, formerly of New Orleans. Shaner has posted a 3.78 earned run average over his career, strikes batters out, and keeps the ball in the park.

8.) C Pedro Zumaya, 35
Another aging catcher who will command big bucks, Zumaya is a solid contact hitter and has a stronger arm than Navarro. Zumaya will earn a lucrative, short-term contract.

9.) 3B Kenneth Howard, 34
Howard is not a great average hitter (.251 last year), but his power will find him a place in the middle of someone's lineup. Howard's value is increased by his ability to play all four infield positions.

10.) RP Earl Carter, 38
Carter has a couple of seasons left in the tank as a closer. He still touches the high 90s on the gun, and has a career K/9 of over 11.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Grizzlies in on Shaner?
Nov. 18, 1999

DENVER - Don't look now, but new general manager Bernardo O'Higgins could be looking to make a splash early in free agency. Rumor has it that the Grizzlies are interested in left-handed starter Michael Shaner. Denver would be just one team amongst a host of clubs vying for the services of the 32-year-old southpaw. Shaner, who has spent the last five years as a member of the New Orleans Cajuns, won fourteen games last year, posting an ERA of 4.23 and striking out 170 hitters. A durable pitcher, Shaner has never pitched less than 190 innings in a full season. O'Higgins would not comment on the possibility of signing Shaner.

In other free agent news, the Grizzlies announced today the signing of outfielder Alfred Schroeder. Schroeder, 34, has played for Washington, Richmond, New Orleans, and Seattle. Last year he posted a .295 average with four home runs and 45 runs batted in. He is expected to compete for the right field job.

Around the League
As is custom each offseason, players have been swapping teams at a rapid pace. One trade of note has been finalized - Cleveland has sent third base prospect Chris Boggs, rated as the #20 prospect in baseball by Baseball America, to Pittsburgh for young first baseman Patrick Cox. Expect to hear both names a lot in the near future ... In a major move, the USBA has lowered the age limit for entry to the draft. Owners approved a measure allowing players from the Under-18 Developmental League to enter the draft at age 18. College players will still be required to complete four years.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Welcome back!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Grizzlies sign veteran Jones
36-year-old starter comes to Denver for two years
Nov. 24, 1999

DENVER - The Denver Grizzlies made a move to solidify their starting rotation yesterday, reaching an agreement with veteran righthander Rickey Jones. The 36-year-old Jones, coming off of an 11-12, 4.46 ERA season with Phoenix, is expected to hold down the middle of the starting rotation in 2000 while passing on his expertise to Denver's younger pitchers.

Jones, a three-time All-Star, will be pitching for Denver for the second time in his career. He first broke into the league in 1987 with the Grizzlies before being traded in the offseason to the Phoenix Rattlers. Jones has pitched for Phoenix for the rest of his career prior to signing with Denver. Over his career, he has earned 182 wins, struck out 2522 batters, and posted an ERA of 3.64.

A press conference will be held today to announce the signing of Jones and to introduce 37-year-old outfielder Jesus Rodriguez, who signed on Monday.

Around the League
In a trade of catching prospects, the Cleveland Redbirds sent Orlando Garza to San Francisco for minor leaguer Jeff Richard ... Former Grizzly Alfonso Rodriguez has landed with the Portland Vikings ... The Chicago Wolves shored up their bullpen by acquiring reliever Damien Syratt from Portland for a minor leaguer ... In a very surprising move, veteran righthander Martin Brunt has opted to sign with Orix in the ***. The 36-year-old passed up lucrative offers from USBA teams for a two-year deal totaling just over $8 million.

Last edited by dkmsoxfan88; 03-29-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Grizzlies trade Newell
3B Lopez, two prospects in return
Nov. 26, 1999

DENVER - The Denver Grizzlies finalized a trade with the Philadelphia Liberty on Thursday, sending 37-year-old infielder Marcos Newell in exchange for third baseman Ramiro Lopez and two minor leaguers. The deal comes after nearly a month of shopping by new general manager Bernardo O'Higgins.

Newell, who signed with Denver prior to the 1994 season, has seen his numbers and playing time decline significantly over the past year. He hit just .210 with two home runs and nine runs batted in in 79 games while earning upwards of $13 million. The deal will give Denver a great amount of added financial flexibility this offseason.

Lopez, 31, spent the past two seasons with Philadelphia after four years with the New York Empires. In limited time, he hit .300 with eight home runs and 36 runs batted in last season. Lopez will be expected to compete for the job at shortstop, or could play his natural third base position if Jarrod Sims moves to short.

O'Higgins said, "The organization would like to thank Marcos for all his contributions, and we wish him the best of luck and a return to his former form in Philly. With that said, it was time to move on for us, and this trade fills a need while freeing up some money to be used elsewhere."

The Liberty will also recieve $3,000,000 to help offset Newell's contract. Also heading to the Grizzlies organization are catcher Pedro Trejo and lefty starter James Crawford. Trejo spent most of last season with Nashua of the New England Baseball League, hitting .245. He will compete with Theodore Prince for the backup catcher position. Crawford posted a 3.57 earned run average in 18 appearances (17 starts) for Halifax of the Eastern Canada Baseball Federation in 1999. He will most likely start the season with Santa Cruz, Denver's California League affiliate.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Grizzlies sign infielder Meeks
Dec. 2, 1999

DENVER - The Grizzlies added another player to the fold Tuesday, reaching a one-year agreement with 37-year-old infielder Rich Meeks. Meeks, who split last year between Milwaukee and New Orleans, will join the competition for one or two starting jobs in the infield.

The Flint, Michigan native and Seton Hall product posted a .283 average in 1999, hitting nine home runs and driving in 62 runs. Meeks, who has played mostly shortstop in his career, has lost a step or two with his age and may end up elsewhere on the diamond, particularly first or third base.

Around the League
As the Winter Meetings wrap up, there is quite a bit of player movement to cover. The highest-profile move thus far has obviously been New York's signing of first baseman Aaron Oliver. Oliver will make over $67 million in just the next three years ... Not to be outdone, the Las Vegas Aces announced their signing of third baseman Luis Santos. Santos, 33, will earn an average of $23 million over the next two years ... Outfielder Jesus Cruz will call Chicago home for the next two years, and will make a handsome $48 million while doing so ... To make way for Oliver, the Empires dealt first baseman Ron Sweeney to San Diego in exchange for starter Ed Henry ... The blockbuster trade of the offseason so far has been Austin's acquisition of left fielder Mark Anderson from Boston. Anderson, who at 30 has already hit 173 homers in just over five seasons, was traded for 26-year-old potential ace Guy Ward ... Bernardo O'Higgins and the rest of the league's GMs will spend the day on conference call for the Rule 5 draft.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Grizzlies sign starter Byers
Dec. 26, 1999

DENVER - Christmas may not have brought any big, shiny toys for the Denver Grizzlies, but the stocking wasn't completely empty. The Grizzlies announced yesterday that they have agreed to terms with righthanded starter Elliott Byers on a one-year, $1.1 million deal. Byers, 31, has pitched for San Diego and Portland in his career, posting a 4.33 earned run average in 178 starts. The Grizzlies hope he will look like the pitcher who, one year ago, won 18 games while posting a 3.03 ERA.

Around the League
The past few weeks have seen some more high-profile, high-pricetag signings. The Boston Shamrocks signed 39-year-old shortstop Donnie Cummings to a two-year, $38 million deal ... Catcher Jose Navarro landed with the Charlotte Flyers on a three-year deal that will pay him $17.6 million per year ... Fans and experts alike are scratching their heads over Los Angeles's signing of outfielder Paul Reid. Reid, 32, hit just .212 in 45 games last year before fracturing his ankle. He will be paid upwards of $15 million for the next three years, based largely on his stellar 1998 (.317, 43 HR, 113 RBI). Yet he has never put up similar numbers in his career.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:33 AM   #11
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Bueno good enough for Grizzlies
Jan. 6, 2000

DENVER - The Denver Grizzlies announced the signing of relief pitcher Jesus Bueno yesterday. The 37-year-old righty, who entered the league with Denver in 1989, will make $2.5 million next year. The deal also includes a team option for the 2001 season.

Bueno is coming off of a bit of an off year, where he posted a 4.33 earned run average and allowed over one and a half baserunners per inning. However, he is just a year removed from a stellar campaign in which he posted a 1.92 ERA and held opponents to a .190 batting average. Bueno is expected to fill a middle-innings relief role with the Grizzlies.

Around the League
Outfielder Shawn Lauton is excited to be a very rich man after signing a five-year, $105 million deal with the Las Vegas Aces recently. Said Lauton, "This is what I've been working for my entire career. I can't wait to show the Aces' front office that their investment was worthwhile." ... Shortstop Kenneth Howard will bring his prima donna act to Los Angeles after signing a two-year deal that, after a player option for 2002, could earn him $63.4 million.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #12
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Grizzlies ink Lindsey
Feb. 3, 2000

DENVER - The Denver Grizzlies added another option at starting pitcher Wednesday with the addition of veteran Frank Lindsey. The 38-year-old southpaw won 11 games in 1999 for Cleveland, posting a 4.62 earned run average. Lindsey will be under contract for one season at just under $1 million. He is expected to compete for the #4 or #5 spot in the rotation.

Around the League
Starter Kenny Brown has finally landed in Los Angeles after entertaining offers for nearly three months. Brown will make a staggering $25.4 million per year over the next five years. Rumors had the Grizzlies interested in Brown prior to his signing ... Starting pitcher Dale Williams was traded by the St. Louis Saints on Tuesday for Boston second baseman Diego Salas ... The Atlanta Cherokees signed outfielder Francisco Campos yesterday to a two-year, $27.7 million deal.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Spring Training Preview
Mar. 3, 2000

GLENDALE, AZ - The trucks have pulled in and the equipment is unloading. It's baseball time, and what better way to prepare for the season than to get to know the 2000 Denver Grizzlies? We sat down with general manager Bernardo O'Higgins, who will have the tough task of paring down the 40-man spring roster to 25 by Opening Day. O'Higgins will give us his take on every player on the roster.

Starting Pitchers

#10 Rickey Jones, RHP
1999 (with PHX): 11-12, 4.46 ERA, 35 GS, 169 K
BERNARDO O'HIGGINS - Rickey is our key pickup this offseason. We didn't feel that any of the big-time guys on the market were worth the money they ended up getting, so we went with a proven veteran who we think still has something in the tank. We hope Rickey can be a solid pitcher and a good example to our younger pitchers.

#17 Elliott Byers, RHP
1999 (with POR): 6-16, 4.80 ERA, 34 GS, 107 K
BO - Elliott had a rough year last year, particularly with his control (104 walks), but we thought he was worth a shot on a one-year deal. If he can get anywhere close to his 1998 form, he'll be a bargain.

#23 Tony Phillips, RHP
1999: 9-11, 6.71 ERA, 27 GS, 72 K
BO - Tony really struggled last year, and he needs to prove to us that he still has enough to contribute to a winning team. He will contend for the long relief job this spring.

#27 Salvador Hernandez, RHP
1999: 3-1, 4.50 ERA, 7 GS, 26 K
BO - Sal's kind of bounced around in our system and has yet to have a full season at one level. We'd like to keep him in Bridgeport this year as much as possible to give him a little stability. He can contribute if needed.

#29 Frank Lindsey, LHP
1999 (with CLE): 11-13, 4.62 ERA, 33 GS, 74 K
BO - Frank's a wily vet - he's not going to overpower guys or strike lots of guys out, but he knows how to get outs and pitch effectively. He can eat some serious innings for us. I think he'll be a bargain pickup for us.

#42 Martin Woods, LHP
1999: 12-16, 3.55 ERA, 34 GS, 182 K
BO - Martin's got to be the guy for us now and down the road. He's young and he's got the stuff to be a great pitcher in this league. Look for 17-18 wins from him if our offense can support him.

#44 Roberto Gallegos, RHP
1999 (with PHX and DEN): 8-9, 4.38 ERA, 27 GS, 113 K
BO - Roberto struggled a bit in Phoenix last year before coming here, but the change of scenery seemed to have helped him, because he was very good in his five starts here. We need him to be closer to his Denver level than his Phoenix level this year.

#46 Roberto Lopez, RHP
1999: 4-10, 7.05 ERA, 22 GS, 64 K
BO - Roberto's put up some good numbers in Bridgeport, but last year he was dreadful with the big club. He'll probably start the year in Bridgeport, but if we call on him in Denver, he needs to be a lot better than he was last year.

#47 Jorge Rosado, RHP
1999: 5-16, 7.53 ERA, 23 GS, 98 K
BO - Jorge just looked overmatched last year, and I have to question the decision to leave a young guy like him in that position for 23 starts. Hopefully starting the year in Bridgeport will get him back on track, because he's been really good in the minors and he has some real potential.

Relievers

#25 Jorge Ybarra, RHP
1999: 0-0, 6.00 ERA, 8 G, 12.0 IP, 16 K
BO - Jorge still needs some time in the minors. Once he has extended success in the minors, he'll get a look.

#35 Jim Blair, RHP
1999: 3-3, 4 SV, 3.15 ERA, 51 G, 60.0 IP, 50 K
BO - Jim's our best middle reliever. We're going to be going to him a lot this year, counting on him in tight situations. He's shown he can handle it.

#40 Oliver Gonzalez, RHP
1999: 4-5, 36 SV, 4.15 ERA, 58 G, 60.2 IP, 66 K
BO - Oliver's a good closer, but we need him to give up fewer runs if he wants to keep that role. He's still young, and he's got great stuff, so we think he'll be fine.

#43 Luis Bueno, RHP
1999 (with PHI): 3-3, 1 SV, 4.33 ERA, 51 G, 72.2 IP, 54 K
BO - Luis will definitely improve our pen this year. Middle relief was shaky at best last year, so we're counting on a vet like Luis to give us a little more stability in the 6th and 7th.

#45 Justin White, RHP
1999 (CBL): 1-0, 1 SV, 2.04 ERA, 33 G, 39.2 IP, 28 K
BO - Justin's still young and hasn't really had much time in the high minors. He'll start the year in Bridgeport and probably stay there. If all goes well, we'd love to have him with the big club in 2001.

#52 Mike Failes, LHP
1999: 3-1, 7 SV, 5.11 ERA, 57 G (3 GS), 116.1 IP, 102 K
BO - Mike could be really important to us this year. He's got a strong enough arm to start, and he's also valuable as a lefty reliever who can go multiple innings. Obviously we'd like to see him give up less runs. Who knows where he'll end up on our staff?

#53 Bill Dooley, RHP
1999 (NEBL): 0-1, 2 SV, 3.63 ERA, 29 G, 52.0 IP, 38 K
BO - Bill will definitely have a chance to win a spot on the big league roster in spring training. If he doesn't, he'll probably be the first reliever up during the season if and when injury strikes. He''s valuable because he can give multiple innings.

#54 Ramiro Ramallo, RHP
1999: 0-3, 1 SV, 3.98 ERA, 41 G, 54.1 IP, 55 K
BO - Ramiro was solid as a setup man last year, and we expect him to hold onto that role this year. We'd like to see him cut down on the walks a little.

#57 Li-zhu Huang, RHP
1999 (NEBL): 3-2, 3 SV, 4.98 ERA, 26 G, 34.1 IP, 29 K
BO - Huang's still gotta prove himself in the minors before he can expect an opportunity with the big club. He's got good stuff, but he needs to put it together. This will be a big year for him in Bridgeport.

Catchers
NOTE: bats/throws

#7 Theodore Price, R/R
1999: .246/.287/.419, 5 HR, 20 RBI, 191 AB
BO - Theodore's a great defensive catcher and a good guy to have on your bench. He's got some competition this year, though. He's got some talent with the stick, and would probably put up better numbers if he played regularly.

#30 Pedro Trejo, R/R
1999 (NEBL): .245/.310/.332, 0 HR, 39 RBI, 364 AB
BO - Pedro's still a work in progress at the plate, but he's good enough defensively to pressure Theodore for the #2 job. If not, we're happy to give him some more regular at-bats in Bridgeport. He could be our catcher of the future.

#49 Marcos Alaniz, L/R
1999: .285/.325/.419, 14 HR, 77 RBI, 515 AB
BO - Marcos is definitely "the guy" behind the plate for us. He's starting to get up there in years, and his production has slipped the past couple of years, but he's still a very, very good big league catcher. If he can stop his recent offensive slide, he'll be very dangerous.

Infielders

#1 Kel Griffin, 1B, R/R
1999: .167/.231/.167, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 12 AB
BO - Kel obviously got very little playing time last year, which is unfortunate. It's a waste to have him sitting like that, so he'll probably spend a lot of time in Bridgeport. Regular at-bats will be important for him this year.

#5 Ramiro Lopez, 3B, R/R
1999 (with PHI): .300/.364/.463, 8 HR, 36 RBI, 270 AB
BO - Picking him up this offseason was like a gift. He needs to be as good as he was last year, because we're counting on him at third. A productive Lopez gives us the ability to move Jarrod Sims to short and effectively fill that hole for a long time. We expect nothing but big things from Ramiro.

#8 Rich Meeks, 2B, S/R
1999 (with MIL and NO): .283/.339/.436, 9 HR, 62 RBI, 392 AB
BO - Rich is a veteran who's been around the game a long time. We expect leadership from him, as well as contribution. He's one of the favorites to start at second this year.

#15 Jarrod Sims, SS, L/R
1999: .311/.360/.433, 9 HR, 72 RBI, 624 AB
BO - Jarrod is one of our cornerstones. He's a great hitter, even though he doesn't put up gaudy power numbers. He's also versatile on defense, which has allowed us to be more flexible this off-season. We know he'll have no trouble transitioning to shortstop.

#19 Antonio Vazquez, 1B, L/R
1999: .275/.351/.434, 11 HR, 56 RBI, 408 AB
BO - Antonio is another fixture for this team, and he's only getting better. He's still really young and inexpensive, and we think he's going to break out this year.

#21 Jaime Perez, SS, R/R
1999 (NEBL): .287/.354/.411, 10 HR, 52 RBI, 380 AB
BO - Jaime's taken a bit longer than most to develop, but he's turning into a very good player. He's a dark-horse candidate to win one of the spots in the infield, and Rich Meeks and Ramiro Lopez will have to look over their shoulders all season.

#28 Victor Aguilar, 2B, R/R
1999: .223/.255/.365, 12 HR, 56 RBI, 408 AB
BO - Victor just hasn't shown the ability to get on base at an acceptable rate, and that's going to cost him his job if he doesn't improve. Still, he'll be a valuable bench player who can play anywhere in the infield and has some home-run pop.

#48 Dave Hodge, SS, R/R
1999: .235/.245/.338, 13 HR, 54 RBI, 523 AB
BO - Like Victor Aguilar, Dave simply doesn't get on base often enough to be a regular player for this team. But his stellar defense and home-run power make him a very valuable guy to have on the bench in the late innings.

#66 David Pantoja, SS, S/R
1999 (NEBL): .261/.304/.399, 11 HR, 48 RBI, 398 AB
BO - David's another promising younger player. He has the potential to contribute this year or next, depending on what he shows us at the plate. We'd also like to see some improvement in the field.

Outfielders

#6 Damon Wilson, LF, L/L
1999: .262/.373/.330, 3 HR, 23 RBI, 233 AB
BO - Damon has value to us as a base-stealer, and he hits for a decent average. But we need to see more pop out of his bat - a singles hitter in left field does us no good.

#14 Woody Bland, CF, L/L
1999: .300/.377/.507, 16 HR, 97 RBI, 586 AB
BO - Woody is the future of this franchise, along with Jarrod Sims. He's got out-of-this-world talent, and he's only starting to put it together. The sky's the limit with this kid, and we can't wait to see where his career goes.

#18 Chris Park, LF, R/R
1999: .325/.362/.490, 8 HR, 31 RBI, 243 AB
BO - Chris has performed well enough to be a starter, and that's just what he'll be for us this year. He's already a solid ballplayer, but he's got talent to become even more. If he develops into what we think he can become, our outfield will be scary.

#22 Freddy Rosales, CF, L/L
1999 (NEBL): .240/.305/.457, 14 HR, 51 RBI, 405 AB
BO - Talk about speed. Freddy's got dangerous speed and he could really be an asset on the basepaths for us in the future. But we'd like to see him hit for a better average and get on base more so that he can use that speed more effectively.

#24 Julian Lujan, RF, R/R
1999 (NEBL): .303/.362/.418, 4 HR, 23 RBI, 261 AB
BO - Julian's another guy with great speed, and he's finally showing some real promise at the plate. This will be a big year for him to determine whether he's a career minor leaguer or a legit big leaguer.

#26 Justin Christensen, CF, R/R
1999 (NEBL): .262/.323/.365, 2 HR, 19 RBI, 271 AB
BO - Justin's a top prospect for us, but we don't know where he fits in right now. He's got to set himself apart this year.

#33 Hector Flores, RF, L/L
1999: .277/.353/.418, 18 HR, 53 RBI, 495 AB
BO - Hector doesn't have the prettiest swing, but he sure gets the job done. We really love those 18 homers and the .353 OBP he put up last year. Oh, and have you seen him run? This guy's a definite 60-70 steal threat at the top of the order. Watch out.

#36 Arnold Schroeder, LF, R/R
1999 (with SEA): .295/.322/.359, 4 HR, 42 RBI, 465 AB
BO - Arnold's a 4th or 5th outfielder candidate. He hits well enough to be useful off the bench, and his range at all three positions is great.

#38 Jesus Rodriguez, RF, R/R
1999 (with CHI): .309/.362/.417, 7 HR, 43 RBI, 408 AB
BO - Jesus should be a good platoon partner, considering our lefty-heavy lineup. He's a solid, albeit unspectacular, contributor on offense, and he's still got that great speed.

#50 Dan Sanders, RF, R/L
1999 (with LA): .262/.311/.409, 11 HR, 39 RBI, 455 AB
BO - We picked up Dan off waivers to compete for a backup job in the outfield. He's got the ability, and he's done it in the minors, so maybe he can finally put it together at the major league level. Otherwise, we're happy to just hold onto him in Bridgeport until we need him.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #14
dkmsoxfan88
Major Leagues

Transactions
3-24-2000
- Designated SP Tony Phillips and 2B Victor Aguilar for assignment. Activated SP Jonathon Potter and MR Britt Hendricks from the 60-day disabled list.