Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
Bobfather
All Star Starter

warming between Innings

Sometimes once my team makes it's last out, I would like to be able to warm someone up to be ready for the next batter. But OOTP skips right to the batter. This happens a lot in irl.
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
Coach C
Bat Boy

for situations like these, i usually start warming a pitcher with 2 outs. they'll continue warming during the break between innings, and are usually ready by the 2nd hitter if not at the start of the inning. if you need them at the start of the inning, a mound visit will usually get them there.

Last edited by Coach C; 11-20-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Coach C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfather View Post
Sometimes once my team makes it's last out, I would like to be able to warm someone up to be ready for the next batter. But OOTP skips right to the batter. This happens a lot in irl.
That's not realistic. In real life, the new reliever comes onto the field as soon as the final out is made and gets seven warmup pitches on the field before the inning starts. So if you want a reliever ready to start an inning, you should have him up in the bullpen no later than when there are two outs with your team at the plate, and probably sooner than that.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:41 AM   #4
Bobfather
All Star Starter

[QUOTE=BIG17EASY;4562956]That's not realistic. In real life, the new reliever comes onto the field as soon as the final out is made and gets seven warmup pitches on the field before the inning starts. So if you want a reliever ready to start an inning, you should have him up in the bullpen no later than when there are two outs with your team at the plate, and probably sooner than that.
Real Life inning ends, camera pans to bullpen where reliever has just started warming up. Commercial ends and said reliiever is jogging in to pitch.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:53 AM   #5
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Real Life inning ends, camera pans to bullpen where reliever has just started warming up. Commercial ends and said reliiever is jogging in to pitch.
So who's on the mound throwing warm up pitches during the commercial break?
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:00 AM   #6
Bobfather
All Star Starter

Maybe my reliever examples are faulty so let me try this. Have you ever wondered how fatigued your pitcher was but can't see it after third out is made. Yes you can see number of pitches, but fatigue takes into account how often he has pitched stamina and i'm sure other factors.
My suggestion is inning end press enter go to substitution screen, do what you want. Then return to game. In real life there is about 5 minutes between innings that are skipped over in OOTP.

Last edited by Bobfather; 11-22-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:17 AM   #7
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I tend to agree with most of the others in this thread. In my experience, if you want a reliever ready for the next half inning then you have him up and warming no later than with two outs in your half. If you start warming a reliever between innings, then you are setting him up to be ready if your current pitcher struggles with the first couple of batters.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:33 AM   #8
CBeisbol
Banned

Yep Bobfather is right.

Once the inning ends all the information on your starter disappears.

You can't see his fatigue. You can't do a mound visit.

IRL you could walk up to him and ask him how he's feeling. You could ask your pitching coach how his last few deliveries looked.

In OOTP you have nothing. "I clicked the mouse so everything is gone".

And, yes, you should be able to start to warm up a reliever after the last hitter makes the 3rd out and before the next hitter receives his first pitch. Zero reason you shouldn't be able to. Maybe he wouldn't be ready to face the first hitter, but he would absolutely be ready sooner than if you waited until the start of the next inning.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, but that doesn't happen. Relievers aren't allowed to remain throwing in the bullpen until the commercial ends, then take the field and throw seven more pitches when a mid-inning change is made. You might catch them throwing one more in the pen before the commercial break starts, but then they are required to enter the game and throw their seven pitches during the inning break. So by your example, they are throwing eight warmup pitches after having been completely cold. That's simply not how real life works.

Quote:
Maybe my reliever examples are faulty so let me try this. Have you ever wondered how fatigued your pitcher was but can't see it after third out is made. Yes you can see number of pitches, but fatigue takes into account how often he has pitched stamina and i'm sure other factors.
My suggestion is inning end press enter go to substitution screen, do what you want. Then return to game. In real life there is about 5 minutes between innings that are skipped over in OOTP.
Regular season commercial breaks are two minutes. In the postseason, they are 2 1/2 to maybe 3 at most.

EDIT: To add more explanation.

Last edited by BIG17EASY; 11-22-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #10
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
And, yes, you should be able to start to warm up a reliever after the last hitter makes the 3rd out and before the next hitter receives his first pitch. Zero reason you shouldn't be able to. Maybe he wouldn't be ready to face the first hitter, but he would absolutely be ready sooner than if you waited until the start of the next inning.
This is more realistic. If you want a reliever ready to face the second hitter of an inning, getting him up after your team makes its third out would be appropriate. OOTP doesn't allow for that specific circumstance.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
majesty95
All Star Starter

It's a game lol. Just warm your guy up with 2 outs. This is really being over complicated haha
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #12
curt
Major Leagues

Cautious

I'm cautious. If I want my starter out and my reliever to start the next inning, then I start his warm up with one out. if the inning stretches, then I sit him down but he'll still be ready. I've had one out and my guys ground into a double play am I have no ready reliever. That's why I start the warm ups with one out.
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #13
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
It's a game lol. Just warm your guy up with 2 outs. This is really being over complicated haha
I agree that "it is just a game", it would be nice if between innings you could use the "visit the mound" mechanic "for free" in order to gauge how fatigued the current pitcher is. It would also be nice if you could get pitchers warming up between innings so they can be ready by the 2nd or third batter. I can think of many cases where I bring a RHP in to face a righty leading off but the third and fourth guys due up will be lefties. So if my righty gets the first two guys out, I typically want him to stay in and face that lefty to try and get out of the inning without burning another pitcher. However, if either of the first two batters get on base then I am more inclined to make the switch to a lefty in order to face the two lefties coming or force the use of the bench in which I will then have to choose between making another switch or allowing the lefty to face a righty. In order for this scenario to be possible, you basically need that new righty entering the game while two new relievers start warming up between innings so that they can be ready to be used should hitters get on base. Yes, in the scheme of things this is fairly minor but it also doesn't seem like you'd need to overhaul the whole system to make this work. There'd just need to be a way to "visit" your pitcher when he's in the dugout between innings and the game could be coded such that if you get a pitcher warming up before you initiate the first pitch of a new half inning then it treats that reliever as if he's been warming since the end of the last half inning. Just my "two cents".
Old 11-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #14
curt
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
Oh oh. This is a game? Why has no one told that until now
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #15
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

I've been advocating for a couple years now for some expansion in the hitting and pitching coach roles for a couple years now. For people who play games day by day, an email from your pitching coach on the status of your bullpen, instead of % of rest, a range of how many pitches they could go. This could expand with something like check with pitching coach while your players are hitting to see where the pitcher is at. The better your pitching coach, the more accurate his evaluation is.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #16
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

Maybe this is obvious, but you need to get the guy up in the bullpen with one out if there's a runner on first.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote