Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
diamond3017
Minors (Single A)

Anybody have missions that you regret completing?

Does anybody look back on completed missions and think, "Wow, I spent a bunch just to lock in a bunch of useless cards so I could get another useless card"?

I didn't make any crippling mistakes, and completing missions was fun anyways whether or not it was an optimal use of PP. But there are some missions I wonder if I'd have been better off just trying to get the SE card in the auction house.

My biggest hangup now is that I don't want to sell cards that I won from missions. For example, I could sell my Pete Donohue card, but then every time I open up my reserve roster I get to see a bunch of useless cards that I locked in (Suarez, Gray, etc.) for a card I don't even have anymore.

Last edited by diamond3017; 10-15-2019 at 06:48 PM.
diamond3017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond3017 View Post
Does anybody look back on completed missions and think, "Wow, I spent a bunch just to lock in a bunch of useless cards so I could get another useless card"?

I didn't make any crippling mistakes, and completing missions was fun anyways whether or not it was an optimal use of PP. But there are some missions I wonder if I'd have been better off just trying to get the SE card in the auction house.

My biggest hangup now is that I don't want to sell cards that I won from missions. For example, I could sell my Pete Donohue card, but then every time I open up my reserve roster I get to see a bunch of useless cards that I locked in (Suarez, Gray, etc.) for a card I don't even have anymore.
Wainwright is locked for me now. Argh

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
dbqs
Major Leagues

Yeah, like half of 'em. I didn't really think it through when I started PT. The Marlins/Dbacks/Rockies/Rays and 2015 Royals ones are especially regrettable...

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I figure that had I actually completed the Orioles mission, instead of just buying Nick Markakis, I’d be regretful. But I used Markakis for a while when the team was sub-Silver, so all good.

I also got decent use out of Sam T and Marco Gonzales, so I don’t totally regret the Mariners collection. Again, it was in connection with a theme team.

If I have any regrets, it’s the 1-star collections that got me a standard paid for essentially anywhere from 25 to 40 PP, at the cost of locking five Live irons.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

The Orioles missions in general, the Negro League mission (love the cards, the reward was a real disappointment), and a few of the live missions
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Hertston
Major Leagues

Pretty much all of them, except a couple where I had already obtained most of the, or a couple of high value, cards for unconnected reasons, anyway. The reward rarely/ever justifies the expense otherwise. It annoys me TBH that there is so little incentive to at least collect your favorite team/teams of live cards. And while I'm not criticising for people trying to make the most of limited PP budget and/or good fortune (I've been guilty of both) many collections are now totally stagnant because a) some are holding out on ridiculous prices for low value cards resulting in a) new players can't even get started on the collection and b) even those with a few PP know even if they get enough high values (negating any reasonable reward/cost, unless by accident) needed low value ones won't appear at all unless you haunt the keyboard 24/7.

Just to end what I freely admit seems to have turned into a rant.. the 'live team' collections in particular need a significant reward boost. These days anything up to gold (and most gold below 88/89 beyond the 1,000) is pretty much worthless, 'collectors edition' or not. Unless some poor sod needs it to complete a collection of course.

Last edited by Hertston; 10-16-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Hertston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't regret any since I cost them out beforehand and know if they are worth doing.

Agree it is disappointing how worthless so many of the live collections are, but part of that is probably by design. If every card was part of a mission with a good reward then most of the playerbase wouldn't be able to afford the cards needed to actually play with.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
FlaviusFlav
Minors (Double A)

Seems like tournaments with more interesting roster requirements could go a long way to un-worthlessing a lot of cards, but that remains to be seen!

FlaviusFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
Hertston
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
If every card was part of a mission with a good reward then most of the playerbase wouldn't be able to afford the cards needed to actually play with.
Noted. To be fair, while I was looking to select a few illustrative examples I also noted the balance on some have shifted significantly since the last time I looked based on, presumably, card re-valuations.

Agreed with Flavius 100%. 'Managerial skill' is very limited in PT compared with the game proper, but tourneys with fixed value ranges would give much more opportunity to exercise it and, perhaps, leave the 'whales' in their own ponds giving them a more competitive and enjoyable game as well? Bronze level cards would be best to maximise both skill and access, maybe? The market would, unfortunately, increase the value of recognised 'excellent' cards at that level to prices beyond most new players (or those not sinking real cash, anyway), but there are plenty almost, if not as, good for 100PP or less, within everybody's reach.

PS. Not to mention giving the chance to actually play with those great 'baseball' names. The likes of Birdie Tebbits, Topsy Hartsel, Mudcat Grant, Peanuts Lowrey, Oil Can Boyd, Ace Adams and Snuffy Sternweiss (my all time favorite) should not be left to rot on the 'inactive' bench! Who cares if they win or not?

P.P.S. And, dropping briefly to iron, how could I have forgotten the immortal Boots Poffenberger? Surely worth a place on any team, if only to dispense the Cool-Aid.

Last edited by Hertston; 10-16-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Hertston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
CurlyKarkovice
Minors (Triple A)

Personal regret (and I might be in the minority) being in a perfect league might be the '84 Champion Tigers mission. Diamonds Alan Trammell, Chet Lemon and Willie Hernandez are in there and even a little under market I spent over 30k pp for the latter two cards. Luckily got Trammel in a pack a while a ago. But the Reward? 79 ovr Kirk Gibson (good power and speed but horrible fielding) and a gold pack that had some 81 ovr Live card only worth quick selling. Now I used Trammel on the Roster for a little bit but that ends up a lot of pp on all three and unless you Roster all three the reward is not great.

I will say I do love the missions with a pack in there. Every mission with the reward being a Gold or lower SE card should have at least a standard pack in my opinion. 1000pp is spent to finish them off guaranteed. So why not throw in a standard pack. Would help people with their collections and or add to the auction house. Plus no packs have a guaranteed Silver card so once one is in a mission they always inflate to 1000 or more. A lot of worthless locked cards in the 70s

Good SE reward cards on my current Perfect League team?

Ken Griffey Jr. from the future legends mission
Joey Votto from a Reds mission
Gene Garber reliever from a Braves mission

Three Reds missions have diamond packs which is awesome. The Reds All Completed reward is Eric Davis and is a good 4th OF in perfect leagues with incredible fielding, speed and good power (lots of Ks, low OBP)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #11
CurlyKarkovice
Minors (Triple A)

Personal regret (and I might be in the minority) being in a perfect league might be the '84 Champion Tigers mission. Diamonds Alan Trammell, Chet Lemon and Willie Hernandez are in there and even a little under market I spent over 30k pp for the latter two cards. Luckily got Trammel in a pack a while a ago. But the Reward? 79 ovr Kirk Gibson (good power and speed but horrible fielding) and a gold pack that had some 81 ovr Live card only worth quick selling. Now I used Trammel on the Roster for a little bit but that ends up a lot of pp on all three and unless you Roster all three the reward is not great.

I will say I do love the missions with a pack in there. Every mission with the reward being a Gold or lower SE card should have at least a standard pack in my opinion. 1000pp is spent to finish them off guaranteed. So why not throw in a standard pack. Would help people with their collections and or add to the auction house. Plus no packs have a guaranteed Silver card so once one is in a mission they always inflate to 1000 or more. A lot of worthless locked cards in the 70s

Good SE reward cards on my current Perfect League team?

Ken Griffey Jr. from the future legends mission
Joey Votto from a Reds mission
Gene Garber reliever from a Braves mission

Three Reds missions have diamond packs which is awesome. The Reds All Completed reward is Eric Davis and is a good 4th OF in perfect leagues with incredible fielding, speed and good power (lots of Ks, low OBP)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #12
CurlyKarkovice
Minors (Triple A)

Sorry not sure why that posted twice. It wasn't THAT big a regret and maybe I'll give Willie a shot out of the bullpen soon
Old 10-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
CurlyKarkovice
Minors (Triple A)

Edit add Ichiro and Lefty Gomez to the SE cards on the active roster.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #14
osborneman
Minors (Single A)

Yeah, 3 regrets. Vazquez on the fireballers mission (now that ****er is locked to my team), Hiura on the rookies mission (I'd like to sell him), and Trout on the Angels mission (I can't use him on my team since he's a live card, that's 40k locked up).

Go Giants!
osborneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #15
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
I didn't even try to complete missions. I checked what I had, went to AH to see if cards were available that I needed & saw the outlandish prices people had for useless cards I just backed out & never visited again after I exchanged what I already had to complete 1 mission. That card I got has also been useless unless Im trying to stay in silver or bronze league forever
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Wainwright is locked for me now. Argh
What do you mean by locking a card in? i just started trying to go after missions today. i am going after the Tallest and i have 3 of the 5 that i need.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #17
Mammoth_Mayhem
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
What do you mean by locking a card in? i just started trying to go after missions today. i am going after the Tallest and i have 3 of the 5 that i need.
Once you submit a completed collection, the cards that fulfilled the requirements are “locked” and can no longer be listed on the AH or quick sold!
Old 10-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #18
webdox
Minors (Triple A)

The recent Unsung for 3 Standard packs... A couple of those cards are going to fetch a premium shortly and the 3 packs didn't net more than 3 LIVE bronze cards...

Are you having any bronze cards.... ALL I have are bronze cards...

Last edited by webdox; 10-26-2019 at 09:32 PM.
webdox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #19
TwinsFan
Minors (Double A)

I locked a 99 Walter on the first day of missions to get a 91 Goose Goslin. It was the very first day of missions and I accidentally hit "complete mission" while I was trying to go to the next page. That taught me to be a little more careful.

OOTP 21

OOTP 20
TwinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:56 PM   #20
MrBungle
Minors (Rookie Ball)

If tournaments or some other usage for all these cards doesn't happen I think they should let us sell locked cards , but with a high house cut ...say idk 50%? Maybe higher?? There are many cards I'd be happy selling even at like an 75-80% cut.

I do like the missions, and some are worth it, but even just having so many cards to sort through in reserve is a pain all the time. Missions are also making the AH a ghost town because people are just hoarding all their cards. Which makes the few cards available too expensive to justify buying them for a mission.

Just my 2 cents
MrBungle is offline   Reply With Quote