Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Punter

Okay I know that most will never have heard of Ricky Ponting that's why I used his nickname to draw people in Anyway he's a cricket player who just announced his retirement, one of the greats imo but alot of people wouldn't agree as he's kind of a love him or hate him figure but shouldn't take away the fact he's a top class player. Wish he'd held out for another year as England play Australia in a test match at Old trafford next year which I'm going to, would have loved to have watched him but alas will not be.

Ricky Ponting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

I am going to miss watching him play. He is only nine days older than me and has been my favourite player pretty much since he debuted for Australia back in '95. I was at the ground for his century at the SCG against India in January. At the time I had a feeling it would be my last chance to see him play in person.

On day one India won the toss and batted, so I went online and bought a ticket for day two assuming I would get to see Punter batting then. India was bowled out late on day one and Australia lost two early wickets, bringing Ponting in for the last twenty minutes or so. I was standing in front of the TV bug-eyed with my hands clasped riding every ball he faced, willing him to make it to stumps.

Watching him and Clarky score centuries on day two was easily the greatest day of cricket I've witnessed in person. He probably should have retired at the end of last summer but hopefully he can go out a hero for Australia with a big score today and tomorrow.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Kobie
Minors (Triple A)

I like to think I know sports pretty well, but cricket is a sport I simply cannot understand.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
I like to think I know sports pretty well, but cricket is a sport I simply cannot understand.
If you can understand baseball you can understand cricket, best way is to get someone who knows both sports and it's easy for them to explain.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
If you can understand baseball you can understand cricket, best way is to get someone who knows both sports and it's easy for them to explain.
Cricket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It does have some similarities to baseball. For someone who has trouble understanding it, I would suggest the Twenty20 form of the game as an introduction. It is the shortest form of the sport and easiest to follow, with a single game taking about three hours to be played out.

In saying that, test match cricket is the most "pure" form of the sport.

Twenty20 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
It does have some similarities to baseball. For someone who has trouble understanding it, I would suggest the Twenty20 form of the game as an introduction. It is the shortest form of the sport and easiest to follow, with a single game taking about three hours to be played out.

In saying that, test match cricket is the most "pure" form of the sport.

Twenty20 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm thinking most Americans couldn't sit around for 5 days from 11am to 6pm watching one sport, the others wouldn't be able to understand that the game ended in a tie after 5 days

I am surprised nobody as tried the 20/20 game over in the states, almost like a home run derby type of game.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I quite enjoy watching the IPL. MLB could learn a thing or two about the use of video replay from the cricket boys.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
jb28
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Punter's certainly one of the best to ever play the game. It's clear he loved the game and loved playing for Australia and wanted to stay as long as he could (kind of reminds me of a former Green Bay QB). It would have been nice if Ricky could have spent some more time out in the middle in his final game but he's given the fans plenty over the years. Now we're left with memories of his 20 years of first class cricket and 17 years playing for Australia.

Quote:
Cricket and baseball are believed to have originated from the same medieval bat-and-ball games so have many similarities. In both sports a ball is hit with a bat, and one team tries to score runs while the other team tries to get them out. If you understand baseball you can easily understand cricket.

Once upon a time cricket was not so foreign to Americans. In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries cricket was the most popular sport in the United States. Many of the early presidents were fans of cricket. In the press more space was devoted to cricket than baseball. The first international sporting contest was a cricket game played in Manhattan between teams from the United States and Canada. The first intercollegiate sporting association in the USA was for cricket. Teams from England and Australia toured the United States to play cricket.

After the civil war the popularity of cricket declined and baseball took over. I believe the biggest reason for this is the length of the game. It's easier to organise teams and competitions for baseball than cricket, and easier for spectators to enjoy a whole game. Once the major leagues of baseball gained popularity it was all over for cricket.

A hundred plus years later cricket could make a resurgence with the shorter forms of the game but the American market is already saturated with sports. Hosting international cricket tournaments and matches getting network coverage will be key to cricket's success in the USA.

I think rugby is more likely to make an impact in the USA than cricket. Rugby will make its Olympic return in 2016. If the USA qualify they will be the defending gold medallists and many of their rugby sevens players are former college football players.
jb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

I'm as English as can be he's as Australian as can be and England and Australia in cricket is a fierce rivalry but this is sad news that eventually comes to all sportsmen.

BBC Sport - Ricky Ponting will retire from all forms of cricket in October
Old 06-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My first experience was the 2011 World Cup final between India and Sri Lanka. I watched the match with a whole whack of Indian college students, with a couple of students from Sri Lanka sprinkled in. It helped a lot to watch and learn from people who understand the rules and strategy. All in all, I enjoyed it.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoPeeler View Post
My first experience was the 2011 World Cup final between India and Sri Lanka. I watched the match with a whole whack of Indian college students, with a couple of students from Sri Lanka sprinkled in. It helped a lot to watch and learn from people who understand the rules and strategy. All in all, I enjoyed it.
I think Americans or none cricket playing countries one day and 20/20 games are good to watch, although I'm not sure you'd enjoy test matches as they start at 11am play till around 6:30pm for 5 days and it could still end in a draw (tie).
Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
I'm as English as can be he's as Australian as can be and England and Australia in cricket is a fierce rivalry but this is sad news that eventually comes to all sportsmen.

BBC Sport - Ricky Ponting will retire from all forms of cricket in October
It's really going to be the end of an era now.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #15
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

BBC Sport - Ricky Ponting: Australian legend a 'modern batting phenomenon'
Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #16
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

You know, with the way the sport is heading now I'm wondering if we will ever see an Australian batsman like him ever again. Seriously.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #17
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
You know, with the way the sport is heading now I'm wondering if we will ever see an Australian batsman like him ever again. Seriously.
Very doubtful and with only England, Australia and maybe New Zealand bothering about test match cricket a player like Ponting may never be seen in cricket again full stop.