Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:13 AM   #1
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

Range rating

Hi all - quick question regarding range rating/park dimensions. All other things being equal, in OOTP, is a player with a strong range rating able to accrue more defensive value in parks with bigger dimensions versus parks with smaller dimensions? Intuitively, I would think so but not sure if the game mechanics take the park dimensions into account when it comes to defensive ratings.
x McLovin x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:19 AM   #2
Bobfather
All Star Starter

The way I see it, and I may be completely wrong. I look at the range as a circle around the player representing how much ground he can cover. Put a LF in Fenway he seems to have more range since there is less ground to cover. Put the same player in LF in Yankee stadium and he will seem to have less range.
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=309232

seems like the answer would be related to the answer for this thread i linked .... though I'm not sure that RchW's answer was definitive or just his assumption on how it worked, he seemed quite confident in it though

The intuitive guess would be that gap power would lead to more HRs in smaller parks, but that may not be the case. So the assumption that range changes based on spacious/small OFs may be wrong too. I certainly don't know for sure either way though

Last edited by ezpkns34; 12-29-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: grammar am hard
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:33 AM   #4
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Accruing more or less value is a hard thing to wager, and depends on a lot including your own pitchers, what kind of batters you're facing, and the era you're playing in.

But yeah, in a park with higher AVG factors, players with more range will be relatively more important than in a neutral park. And in a park with lower AVG factors, players with less range will be relatively less detrimental than they would be in a neutral park.

But as always, higher ratings = better, no matter the park.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:13 AM   #5
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfather View Post
The way I see it, and I may be completely wrong. I look at the range as a circle around the player representing how much ground he can cover. Put a LF in Fenway he seems to have more range since there is less ground to cover. Put the same player in LF in Yankee stadium and he will seem to have less range.
But in the game there's no player and no circle

Just, I'd imagine, probabilities.

Maybe the game figures out if the ball is going to be out in play or not, then decides what part of the field, then decides a hit probability, then a catch probability then awards the hitter and fielder accordingly.

Or, maybe, it determines everything in the aggregate (factors in the pitcher, hitter, all the defenders) then just pics a random outcome and awards the hitter and defender that way,

Or something else smarter than both of those.

A stadium with a higher hit probability will increase the number of expected hits
A rangey defender will increase the number of expected outs.

How those two things interact is, for us, unknowable without a test

The test would be simple, but, time consuming.
One would have to create a stadium (or all the stadiums) with a large outfield (high hit probability) and an outfielder with a high range ratings. Then sim, individually, I believe, a season a number of times (the more the better) then record the players' defensive stats.

Then edit the stadium, or stadiums, to be smaller (lower hit probability) and do the same thing

Then compare.
And report

It might also be interesting (maybe even necessary) to compare a rangey OFer to a less rangey one in both a big and small stadium. We know the rangey OFer will be better, but by how much, and by how much in each type of stadium - which was the original question - do rangey OFers matter *more* in big stadiums.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote