Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #61
Snider&Hodges
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I don't touch anything, aside from setting the General Strategic Tendencies to Normal for Stealing Bases, and I input the year 1984 on the day before opening day. Works like a charm. Follow these instructions and you'll never go wrong. You'll still have "hot" years and "cold" years and bang-on years due to statistical variance, but over time you'll get the results you're looking for.
Just wanted to thank you actionjackson, I recently created a fictional league and decided to use the 1984 stats output and settings based on your posts - it's been good - I think the different leaders for BA/HR/RBI were around .340/40/125 after the first season, which is in line with the kind of output I was looking for. Definitely a lot of steals (a player on my team actually led the league with either 96 or 98) but I like it, it adds more value to players with speed and keeps me on the lookout for them.
Snider&Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #62
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snider&Hodges View Post
Just wanted to thank you actionjackson, I recently created a fictional league and decided to use the 1984 stats output and settings based on your posts - it's been good - I think the different leaders for BA/HR/RBI were around .340/40/125 after the first season, which is in line with the kind of output I was looking for. Definitely a lot of steals (a player on my team actually led the league with either 96 or 98) but I like it, it adds more value to players with speed and keeps me on the lookout for them.
You're welcome S&H. Yeah, the steals are high, but in 1984 two of the best basestealers in history were tearing it up: Rickey Henderson and Tim Raines, so that's what we get. I like 1984 because it's a nice, happy medium between deadball and bazookaball, and if steals come along for the ride, so be it.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:44 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #63
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

I forgot to post the 1902 All-Stars , so here they are:

1902 All-Stars:

AL:

Scott T Baker (BLA), SP
Hooks Dauss (WS1), SP
Alex Fernandez (DET), SP
Earl Francis (BLA), SP
Phil Knell (SLA), SP
Cliff P Lee (BLA), SP
Toad Ramsey (SLA), SP
Ray Sadecki (CWS), SP
Chuck Cary (PHA), RP
Blake Treinen (CLE), RP
Oscar Harstad (SLA), CL
Gus McGinnis (BLA), CL
Robinson Chirinos (SLA), C
Ryan Doumit (PHA), C
Bengie Molina (WS1), C (Injured)
Greg Norton (WS1), 1B
Cupid Childs (SLA), 2B
Dustin Pedroia (BLA), 2B
Jerry Denny (DET), 3B
Joe Lefebvre (BLA), 3B
Vern Stephens (BOS), SS
Trevor Story (DET), SS
Joe Tinker (WS1), SS
Lefty O'Doul (DET), LF
Boog Powell (PHA), LF
Rocco Baldelli (CWS), CF
Marquis Grissom (BOS), CF
Dan Ford (DET), RF
Al Kaline (CLE), RF

NL:

Madison Bumgarner (BRO), SP
George Derby (PHI), SP
Denny Driscoll (CIN), SP
Jaime Garcia (BRO), SP
Mike Hampton (STL), SP
Mickey Lolich (BRO), SP
Bill McGee (CIN), SP (Injured)
Nolan Ryan (CIN), SP
Irv Young (BRO), SP
Erik Goeddel (CIN), RP
Damaso Marte (BSN), RP
Ed Keas (BRO), CL
Bobby M Mitchell (CHC), CL
Heinie Peitz (CIN), C
Chief Zimmer (NY1), C
Joe Collins (CIN), 1B
Don Hurst (BSN), 1B
Roy Howell (NY1), 3B
Alex Rodriguez (CHC), SS
George Wright (NY1), SS
Mike Donlin (BRO), LF
Roy White (CHC), LF
Tom York (PHI), LF
Ian Happ (NY1), CF
Rick Monday (BSN), CF
Whitey Herzog (BRO), RF
Dale Murphy (PHI), RF
Emmett Seery (CIN), RF
Honus Wagner (NY1), RF

The American League All-Stars edged the National League All-Stars 3-1 before a crowd of 17,000 at National League Park in Philadelphia. The three stars of the game were all from the American League. RF Al Kaline of the Cleveland Bronchos took top honours with a 2 for 2 day with a pair of singles and a walk, and scored a run. SS Joe Tinker of the Washington Senators was in the mix as well with a 2 for 3 day (2 singles), and C Robinson Chirinos of the St. Louis Browns went 1 for 1 with an RBI single. The story of the day was pitching, particularly from the American League side as they held the NL to one run on three hits, while walking five and striking out 10.

Again this year, what's so striking is the number of talented left handed pitchers in this league. Of the 20 pitchers who toed the rubber in this game, a staggering 13 of them were lefties. That is an incredibly high number. Usually you would expect about 5-7 given 20 pitchers at the highest level, but thirteen? Wow!

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-18-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:29 AM   #64
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

First round of the 1902 Amateur Draft, with players ages as of June 30, 1903 (cutoff date to determine player's age for the 1903 season) plus all the positions that they have ratings for:

1. Pittsburgh Pirates: William Bell, (Spritze DB Negro Leaguer), 18, RHP/C/2B/LF/CF/RF
2. Cleveland Naps (formerly Cleveland Bronchos): Dave Stieb, 20, RHP/LF
3. Philadelphia Athletics: Ben Chapman, 20, LF/CF/RF
4. St. Louis Cardinals: Paul Derringer, 23, RHP
5. Boston Beaneaters: Stuffy McInnis, 17, 1B
6. Boston Americans: Ismael Valdez, 19, RHP
7. Chicago Cubs (formerly Chicago Orphans): Lee Lacy, 23, 2B/LF/CF/RF
8. St. Louis Browns: Wally Post, 18, LF/RF
9. Washington Senators: Duane Ward, 21, RHP
10. Detroit Tigers: Greg W Harris, 23, RHP
11. New York Giants: Huck Betts, 22, RHP
12. Philadelphia Phillies: Jim Morrison, 23, 2B/3B
13. Boston Beaneaters: Craig Gentry, 24, LF/CF/RF
14. Cleveland Naps: Dave May, 22, LF/CF/RF
15. New York Giants: Garrett Richards, 22, RHP
16. Boston Beaneaters: Billy R Hamilton, 21, CF

As I said previously, I'm really enjoying doing my own draft values. It gives me great immersion and I think the results will be solid too. Looks like the incredible number of southpaws in my game is about to correct itself. Eight pitchers were picked in the first round of the 1902 amateur draft, and all of them were righties. Will also be keeping a close eye on Dave Stieb (favourite player as a kid), and Duane Ward (bullpen backbone of the back-to-back World Champs of 1992 and 1993) to see how they do.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-19-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #65
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

1902 Awards:

AL Brooks Robinson Awards:

P: Alex Fernandez, 25, DET

C: Craig Biggio, 25, DET

1B: Steve Garvey, 25, PHA

2B: Dustin Pedroia, 29, BLA

3B: Clete Boyer, 33, SLA

SS: Vern Stephens, 21, BOS

LF: Boog Powell, 26, PHA

CF: Marquis Grissom, 25, BOS

RF: Al Kaline, 19, CLE

NL Brooks Robinson Awards:

P: Irv Young, 32, BRO

C: Keith Moreland, 27, STL

1B: Carlos Lee, 31, STL

2B: Bobby Knoop, 27, BRO

3B: Roy Howell, 21, NY1

SS: Jean Segura, 25, PHI

LF: Roy White, 31, CHC

CF: Ian Happ, 23, NY1

RF: Dale Murphy, 21, PHI

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:00 PM   #66
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

AL Ted Williams Awards:

C: John Clapp, 24, CWS

1B: Ryon Healy, 26, SLA

2B: Dustin Pedroia, 29, BLA

3B: Joe Lefebvre, 25, BLA

SS: Vern Stephens, 21, BOS

LF: Boog Powell, 26, PHA

CF: Rocco Baldelli, 24, CWS

RF: Al Kaline, 19, CLE

DH: Beals Becker, 24, DET/CWS

NL Ted Williams Awards:

P: Pete Appleton, 24, BSN

C: Sy Sutcliffe, 30, CHC

1B: Don Hurst, 24, BSN

2B: Julio Franco, 38, CHC

3B: Bill Madlock, 23, PHI

SS: George Wright, 25, NY1

LF: Mike Donlin, 28, BRO

CF: Rick Monday, 26, BSN

RF: Honus Wagner, 27, NY1

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #67
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

AL Mariano Rivera Award:

1. Oscar Harstad, 24, SLA
2. Gus McGinnis, 23, BLA
3. Albert Suarez, 27, CWS
4. Jim H Devlin, 21, CLE

NL Mariano Rivera Award:

1. Bobby M Mitchell, 25, CHC
2. Ed Keas, 26, BRO
3. Damaso Marte, 30, BSN
4. Lance McCullers Sr, 25, CIN
Old 05-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #68
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

AL Jackie Robinson Award:

1. Fritz Ostermueller, LHSP, 25, BOS
2. Terry Larkin, RHSP, 19, PHA
3. Charley Hall, RHSP, 20, SLA

NL Jackie Robinson Award:

1. Mickey Lolich, LHSP, 21, BRO
2. Eddie Cicotte, RHSP, 22, BRO
3. Juan Centeno, C, 24, BRO
4. Sean Doolittle, LHRP, 24, PIT
Old 05-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #69
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

AL Walter Johnson Award:

1. Toad Ramsey, LHSP, 24, SLA
2. Cliff P Lee, LHSP, 32, BLA
3. Phil Knell, LHSP, 29, SLA
4. Fred Blanding, RHSP, 24, DET
5. Hooks Dauss, RHSP, 31, WS1
6. Alex Fernandez, RHSP, 25, DET
7. Earl Francis, RHSP, 25, BLA
8. Ray Sadecki, LHSP, 30, CWS
9. Jon Lester, LHSP, 24, CWS

NL Walter Johnson Award:

1. Madison Bumgarner, LHSP, 23, BRO
2. George Derby, RHSP, 25, PHI
3. Denny Driscoll, LHSP, 26, CIN
4. Nolan Ryan, RHSP, 23, CIN
5. Jaime Garcia, LHSP, 25, BRO
Old 05-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #70
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

AL Babe Ruth Award:

1. Vern Stephens, 3B/SS, 21, BOS
2. Toad Ramsey, LHSP, 24, SLA
3. Rocco Baldelli, CF/RF, 24, CWS
4. Cliff P Lee, LHSP, 32, BLA
5. Al Kaline, CF/RF, 19, CLE
6. Trevor Story, SS, 25, DET
7. Boog Powell, 1B/LF, 26, PHA
8. Joe Lefebvre, 3B/LF/RF, 25, BLA
9. Marquis Grissom, CF, 25, BOS
10. Lefty O'Doul, LF, 30, DET
11. Dustin Pedroia, 2B, 29, BLA
12. John Clapp, C/LF, 24, CWS
13. Dayan Viciedo, LF/RF, 23, BLA
14. Hooks Dauss, RHSP, 31, WS1
15. Phil Knell, LHSP, 29, SLA
16. Joe Tinker, SS, 25, WS1
17. Jerry Denny, 3B, 26, DET
18. Fred Blanding, RHSP, 24, DET

NL Babe Ruth Award:

1. George Wright, 2B/SS, 25, NY1
2. Mike Donlin, LF/CF/RF, 28, BRO
3. Honus Wagner, SS/RF, 27, NY1
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B/SS, 26, CHC
5. Madison Bumgarner, LHSP, 23, BRO
6. Mike Hargrove, 1B/LF, 25, CIN
7. Whitey Herzog, 1B/LF/CF/RF, 29, BRO
8. Ian Happ, 2B/LF/CF/RF, 23, NY1
9. George Derby, RHSP, 25, PHI
10. Denny Driscoll, LHSP, 26, CIN
11. Rick Monday, CF/RF, 26, BSN
12. John Vander Wal, 1B/LF/RF, 32, CHC
13. Nolan Ryan, RHSP, 23, CIN
14. Dale Murphy, 1B/CF/RF, 21, PHI
15. Don Hurst, 1B, 24, BSN
16. Roy White, LF, 31, CHC

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-20-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #71
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Finally have figured out a way to randomly import Negro League players; I just use the ones you import! When you post who is coming in I look up their ids and bring them in one at a time into my draft pool. Cheating,maybe, but it works for me, I am good as long as you keep posting which ones you are bringing into your league.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #72
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Finally have figured out a way to randomly import Negro League players; I just use the ones you import! When you post who is coming in I look up their ids and bring them in one at a time into my draft pool. Cheating,maybe, but it works for me, I am good as long as you keep posting which ones you are bringing into your league.
Ok, I also brought in Archie Ware (warear00 - 1936), and Alphonso Gerard (geraral00 - 1943), so there's two more for you. You don't have to ride my coattails though. I use the random number generator, and bring in the Negro Leaguer closest to the player it lands on (I haven't landed on one yet in all the time I've been doing this) on that page of the master.csv file. If there is no Negro Leaguer on that page, I spin the wheel again. Easy-peezy! Especially if you're starting to get the import process.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #73
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Starting to get the hang of importing players usually now only takes me a maximum of two tries to get a player into the draft. That part only took me about two years. I have no problem riding your coattails for a few years. The two draft thing inaugural plus 1 March 01 seems to have worked so far, going slowly to check my logic, have MLB and a 16 team unaffiliated AAA.

Last edited by JaBurns; 05-20-2018 at 04:07 PM.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #74
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

In order to attempt to avoid the wall of text that the 1901 season/postseason recap turned into, I'm going to break up the 1902 season/postseason recap into three parts: I) Regular season and ALCS, II) NLCS, and III) World Series.

1902 Season/Postseason Recap:

I) Regular season and ALCS:

After a 1901 season which featured just one team above .600 baseball (Boston Beaneaters: 104-58), and one team below .400 baseball (Washington Senators: 64-98), the 1902 season included one .600+ team (Brooklyn Superbas: 101-61), but four teams finished below .400 (Cleveland Bronchos and Pittsburgh Pirates: 60-102, and Philadelphia Athletics and St. Louis Cardinals: 63-99). Only one team in MLB scored 800+ runs (New York Giants: 810), and only one team allowed 800+ runs (St. Louis Cardinals: 808). The largest amount of runs scored in my league in the first two seasons is 868 (1901 Detroit Tigers), and the most allowed is 847 (1901 Boston Americans). I like to see as many non-extreme seasons as possible, and this is fine by me. The occasional extreme season is OK, but I don't want it dominating the landscape of my league because that indicates to me that the balance is off somewhere. Same goes for dominant individual seasons. I don't want them to become the norm, because then they lose their significance in my eyes.

The ALCS featured the Baltimore Orioles (as they were named when the series took place), who went 93-69 in the regular season, and the Detroit Tigers (91-71). Pitching and defense dominated the postseason in all three series in 1902, as a total of 114 runs were scored in the 18 games (6.33 per game, or 3.17 per team game). Kind of how it should be. That's not to say I don't enjoy a good ole 15-14 barnburner (Game 4 of the RL 1993 World Series). It's just to say that pitching, defense and timely hitting should be on display in the postseason, and as we will see, they were.

Game 1 of the ALCS featured a sweet pitching matchup of AL Walter Johnson Award contenders. Fred Blanding (14-8, 2.59) went for the visiting Tigers against Cliff Lee (18-13, 2.24) of the Baltimore Orioles. SS Trevor Story got the party started for the Tigers with a two out two-run HR in the top of the 3rd. The Tigers never trailed after that. All the Orioles could muster was back-to-back two out solo shots (Dustin Pedroia and Todd Greene) off Blanding in the 4th inning to pull within one at 3-2. Final score (despite 13 K in 7.1 IP for Lee): Tigers 5, Orioles 2.

Game 2 would feature another matchup of Walter Johnson contenders: Tiger Alex Fernandez (13-8, 3.33), faced off against Oriole Earl Francis (17-6, 3.15). Francis came out of nowhere in 1902 to give the Orioles another SP option in a year they desperately needed someone to step up following the free agent defection of Harry Harper to the Cubs in the 1901/1902 offseason. It looked like it would be more of the same as Game 1, as the Tigers' LF Luis Olmo led off the game with a solo shot off Francis to put the Tigers up 1-0. They would extend the lead to 2-0 after one and a half innings, and 4-1 after six and a half. But the Orioles would make a stand in their half of the seventh, as they staged a two out rally with a double by CF Wayne Kirby, a run scoring single for DH Scott Livingstone, and a two-run HR by 2B Dustin Pedroia (Side note: Dustin Pedroia is just as pesky in OOTP as he is IRL) to tie the game at 4-4. It would stay that way until the bottom of the tenth when PH Kelly Gruber (atta boy) delivered a 2 out bases loaded single to walk off the Tigers and send the series back to Detroit knotted at 1-1.

Game 3 featured an old fashioned pitchers duel between Scott T Baker (12-13, 3.62), and Eppa Rixey (6-7, 3.57). Oriole C Todd Greene led off the top of the eighth by reaching base on an error by Detroit 3B Jerry Denny, and was doubled to third by RF Dayan Viciedo. Next, PH Mark Lemke was intentionally walked (items bolded due to my level of stunnedness [if that's a word] at the two events happening in the same at bat) to load the bases with nobody out. SS David Howard brought Greene home with the unearned run on a sac fly, giving the Orioles the only run they would need. Baker went the distance for the CG SHO, and Rixey went 8 outstanding 3-hit innings with the unearned run the only blemish on his record.

Two straight tough losses for the Tigers. They needed to find a way to turn it around in a hurry. They looked to Chase Anderson (13-16, 3.80) to be the stopper, and stop the bleeding he did in Game 4. He went the distance allowing just one unearned run on seven hits, while his mates battered SP Todd Ritchie (4-4, 3.25) for 6 runs (all earned) in 7.1 IP. The Tigers rode a 5-run bottom of the fifth to even the series at two, and set up a pivotal Game 5 between Cliff Lee and Fred Blanding again.

Game 5 was a wild one, despite the great pitching matchup as the Orioles built a 6-1 lead after 2 and a half. Detroit roared back with 4 runs in the bottom of the third, and one in the bottom of the seventh to tie the game at 6. They would pull a walk off of their own in the bottom of the 12th, with CF Mitch Maier singleing home star of the game 3B Jerry Denny. Denny went 4 for 6, with three doubles, three runs, and an RBI, good for 10 total bases. I'd say he might've made up for his costly Game 3 error with this game. After being down 2 games to 1 following two tough losses, the Tigers could taste it now as the series returned to Baltimore.

In Game 6, the Orioles would jump all over Tigers' starter Alex Fernandez, pummelling him for 6 earned runs in 4.2 innings. Oriole 3B Joe Lefebvre was the hero with a two out 3-run first inning bomb and a two out solo shot in the 7th off reliever Pat Misch to give the Orioles an insurance run in an eventual 7-4 victory. This of course meant one thing...Seventh heaven baby! There's nothing like a Game 7 with everything on the line.

The Tigers did not allow Baltimore to breathe in the seventh game. They built a 4-0 lead after 4 innings as DH Lefty O'Doul went off, hitting a first inning solo bomb, and a third inning two-run HR off Baker (both coming with two outs in the inning), which gave Detroit more than they would need in a 4-1 victory. It was a re-match of Game 3 starters Rixey and Baker, and once again Rixey gave up one unearned run in 7+ innings, but this time it was enough. Don Gullett wrapped things up with a six out save, punctuating things with a strike him out/throw him out double play. Dustin Pedroia, who had been so good early on, wore the goat horns in this one by getting thrown out for the final out of the series...In Game 7...Ugh, if you're a Baltimore fan, especially since the team moved to New York to become the Highlanders.

Series MVP: Lefty O'Doul DH (Detroit Tigers)

Ahem, side note from your humble writer. Remember when I said I wasn't going to give a wall of text? I lied!

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-21-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #75
mugwump1970
Bat Boy

Actionjackson,

I enjoy reading your reports. I love to mix the different eras of baseball history with random debut leagues.

Which Spritze database do you use to import your Negro League players? If I understand correctly, the most recent version does not include Negro League players. I, like others on the board, have noticed that Negro Leaguers imported from the minor league database are pretty puny.

Thanks
mugwump1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #76
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump1970 View Post
Actionjackson,

I enjoy reading your reports. I love to mix the different eras of baseball history with random debut leagues.

Which Spritze database do you use to import your Negro League players? If I understand correctly, the most recent version does not include Negro League players. I, like others on the board, have noticed that Negro Leaguers imported from the minor league database are pretty puny.

Thanks
Thanks for the kind words mugwump1970. I actually use the SpritzeHSforOOTP18 DB, and (believe it or not) my master.csv file comes from the OOTP17 one or earlier. Works like a charm though, and I definitely don't get puny Negro Leaguers. The reason I use the earlier master.csv file is that I couldn't get my hands on the one that goes with the Spritze18 DB, so I just decided to use an older one as most of the players I would be going for would be from earlier days. Let me know if you need a master.csv file for it and I can send it to you via e-mail. I believe the DB itself exceeds my file attachments limit, so I can't send that to you, but if you can get your hands on it, I can send you the master file that I use for it. I was fortunate enough to have it for my OOTP18 game, so I just copied it over to OOTP19, but that may not be the case for you.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #77
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Ok, mugwump1970! Found a working link to the SpritzeHSDBforOOTP18.

As I suspected it does not include a master.csv file, but as mentioned above I can e-mail mine from an earlier SpritzeDB if you can PM me an e-mail address.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #78
mugwump1970
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Thanks for the kind words mugwump1970. I actually use the SpritzeHSforOOTP18 DB, and (believe it or not) my master.csv file comes from the OOTP17 one or earlier. Works like a charm though, and I definitely don't get puny Negro Leaguers. The reason I use the earlier master.csv file is that I couldn't get my hands on the one that goes with the Spritze18 DB, so I just decided to use an older one as most of the players I would be going for would be from earlier days. Let me know if you need a master.csv file for it and I can send it to you via e-mail. I believe the DB itself exceeds my file attachments limit, so I can't send that to you, but if you can get your hands on it, I can send you the master file that I use for it. I was fortunate enough to have it for my OOTP18 game, so I just copied it over to OOTP19, but that may not be the case for you.

Thanks! I was hoping that an older version of the Spritze DB would work to pull Negro League players into OOTP19. I do have a master.cvs file that should work well. Keep up the good work. I don't post much but I appreciate all of your advice on settings and setup.
mugwump1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #79
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Crap! Had the power go out during the writing of the post on the NLCS and completely lost it. The power situation has been kind of sketchy around here ever since the hydro company put in a new transformer down the end of my building in an effort to "fix" blackout issues. Now it's worse.

Yeah, I'm old school with a desktop, but I prefer the more powerful hardware that comes with it. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure desktops still have more juice than other available (and more mobile) devices.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there except that I'm thinking of cutting this post back to avoid more hydro garbage. So without further ado...

II) NLCS:

The 1902 NLCS would feature the two teams with the best records in all of MLB: The Brooklyn Superbas (101-61) and the Cincinnati Reds (97-65). They featured two formidable pitching staffs with deep rotations and solid closers, as noted below with ages and records for the 1902 season:

Cincinnati Reds:

1) Denny Driscoll (L), 26 (16-10, 2.19)
2) Nolan Ryan (R), 23 (19-9, 3.05, 300 K)
3) Bill McGee (R), 28 (16-8, 2.88)
4) John Snyder (R), 24 (15-10, 4.22)
5) Tomo Ohka (R), 24 (10-8, 2.91)

CL) Lance McCullers Sr (R), 25 (3-7, 37 SV, 2.84)

John Snyder was sent to the 'pen for the postseason, and the Reds rolled with the other four against the Superbas.

Brooklyn Superbas:

1) Madison Bumgarner (L), 23 (15-10, 2.25)
2) Jaime Garcia (L), 25 (17-9, 2.54)
3) Mickey Lolich (L), 21 (19-6, 2.86)
4) Irv Young (L), 32 (16-13, 3.28)
5) Eddie Cicotte (R), 22 (14-7, 1 SV, 2.63)

CL) Ed Keas (R), 26 (6-3, 33 SV, 2.27)

The Superbas also had Hyun-Jin Ryu (another lefty) who unfortunately required elbow ligament reconstruction surgery due to a May 14th injury. Eddie Cicotte fractured his elbow on September 15th. His return will be a welcome sight to break up the Buzzsaw of Southpaws (TM). The incredible thing (for Brooklyn - not for the rest of the league) is that this crew of six starters should be together for a minimum of two more seasons. Wow!

If you like pitching and defense, this was your series. Both offenses were pretty much neutralized.

Game 1: Brooklyn 1, Cincinnati 0, W: Jaime Garcia (1-0), L: Denny Driscoll (0-1), HR: None

The Reds outhit the Superbas 7 to 4, but on the scoresheet that matters, they lost 1-0 on a 6th inning RBI single by SS Jamey Carroll.

Game 2: Brooklyn 6, Cincinnati 0, W: Irv Young (1-0), L: Tomo Ohka (0-1), HR: BRO: Casey Blake (1)

Once again the Reds outhit the Superbas (9 to 7), and once again they could not score. C Juan Centeno got the scoring started for Brooklyn with an RBI single in the bottom of the second, which was immediately followed by a 1st pitch 3-run bomb by 3B Casey Blake. RF Whitey Herzog finished off the Reds with a two out 2-run single in the eighth. Cincinnati limped home, not only having not won a game, but not scoring a run.

Game 3: Brooklyn 7, Cincinnati 2, W: Madison Bumgarner (1-0), L: Nolan Ryan (0-1), HR: BRO: Dick Sisler (1), CIN: Brett Phillips (1)

The Reds jumped the Superbas with a two-run shot from CF Brett Phillips in the 3rd inning...And that would be it as Bumgarner, with a little help from Abe Bowman and Ed Keas shut it down the rest of the way. 1B Dick Sisler had a huge game for the Superbas as he doubled home LF Mike Donlin in the 4th, and followed an RBI double from CF Kiddo Davis with a 3-run shot to put the Superbas up 5-2 in the fifth. SS Jamey Carroll piled on with a 2-run single in the eighth to absolutely ice the game. Hey Cincinnati: If you can't score, you can't win, at least that's what Joe Morgan told me.

Game 4: Cincinnati 2, Brooklyn 0, W: Bill McGee (1-0), L: Mickey Lolich (0-1), HR: None

It was Brooklyn's turn to get completely shut down, this time on three hits in a CG shutout by Bill McGee. Cincinnati continued to stumble offensively. The Reds loaded the bases with nobody out in the second, and could only come up with one run on a sac fly by C Heinie Peitz. LF Mike Hargrove brought home an insurance run by singling in 2B Joe Gantenbein in the fifth. Lolich deserved a better fate, as he went the distance giving up five hits and one unearned run. I guess you can't win them all.

Game 5: Brooklyn 4, Cincinnati 1, W: Jaime Garcia (2-0), L: Denny Driscoll (0-2), HR: CIN: Brett Phillips (2)

Cincinnati got the start they were looking for as CF Brett Phillips led the game off with a solo shot. And that was all she wrote for Cincy. Brooklyn broke out of their temporary doldrums with a 3-run fourth. 1B Dick Sisler singled home CF Kiddo Davis to tie the game at one. RF Whitey Herzog singled home Sisler (who had moved to second on the throw home to attempt to get Davis), and 2B Bobby Knoop followed with an RBI triple. Knoop would double home Sisler in the sixth to put the game out of reach. Garcia went seven strong, and Chad Kimsey (not Ed Keas, as he strained his forearm in Game 3 and was out for the season) finished up with the six out save for the Superbas, and the celebration was on in Brooklyn.

Jaime Garcia was given the MVP honours, as he went 2-0 with a 0.56 ERA in two starts. It was fitting that the MVP of the series would go to a pitcher as pitching and defense dominated. In the end, the Superbas outscored the Reds 18-5. The Reds and the Orioles (or the Highlanders as they are now called) would have to look to the future for a shot at a title as they squandered postseason opportunities in 1901 and 1902. The only two 100-win teams in my dynasty so far (Beaneaters and Superbas) would also have to wait for another opportunity to win the big one. So much for trimming this post huh?

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-22-2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:41 AM   #80
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

III) World Series:

You've already met the Superbas' key players. Now let's meet the Tigers:

Detroit Tigers:

The Tigers, unlike the Superbas and the Reds were led by their offense. They allowed 692 runs, while the other two teams kept their runs allowed below six hundred runs.

1) SS Trevor Story, 25, .275/.329/.514/.843, 30 2B, 37 HR, 104 RBI
2) LF Lefty O'Doul, 30, .323/.379/.471/.849, 97 R, 204 H, 22 HR, 99 RBI
3) LF/CF/RF Luis Olmo, 24, .313/.345/.474/.819, 15 HR, 63 RBI
4) CF/RF Dan Ford, 25, .281/.326/.494/.821, 34 2B, 28 HR, 93 RBI
5) 3B Jerry Denny, 26, .266/.320/.509/.829, 30 2B, 35 HR, 99 RBI

The Tigers also had LF/RF/DH Beals Becker, and traded him to the White Sox to get SP Don Gullett at the deadline. Sort of a blockbuster deal considering other trades we've all seen.

A few pitchers as well:

1) Alex Fernandez (R), 25, (13-8, 3.33)
2) Fred Blanding (R), 24, (14-8, 2.59)
3) Chase Anderson (R), 30, (13-16, 3.80)
4) Don Gullett (L), 26, (5-3, 3.93 in 14 GS down the stretch)

Brooklyn Superbas:

In addition to all the great pitching listed in the previous post, they had a couple of spectacular position players:

1) LF/CF/RF Mike Donlin, 28, .348/.407/.548/.955, 109 R, 225 H, 36 2B, 27 HR, 109 RBI, 37 SB
2) 1B/LF/CF/RF Whitey Herzog, 29, .320/.425/.487/.911, 19 HR, 97 RBI, 102 BB

Another series with quality pitching and defense. Let's dive in.

Game 1: Detroit 3, Brooklyn 2, W: Don Gullett (1-1), L: Terry Cornutt (0-1), HR: DET: Craig Biggio (1), BRO: Whitey Herzog (1), Mike Donlin (1)

Fred Blanding faced Madison Bumgarner in the lid lifter of the fall classic. The Tigers jumped out front in the 2nd inning on a two-run single by 2B Kevin Jordan. Superbas' RF Whitey Herzog's solo HR in the bottom of the second cut the deficit in half for Brooklyn, and LF Mike Donlin's solo shot in the fifth evened the score at 2. It stayed that way until the 9th when C Craig Biggio hit a solo shot to lead off. Don Gullett had been sent to the bullpen for the postseason and he shut the door in the ninth to seal the victory for the Tigers. Gullett was an absolute rock out of the 'pen during the postseason, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs in 14.1 IP with 9 BB and 18 K and 0 HR allowed, a 2-1 record, 2 SV and a 1.26 ERA.

Game 2: Brooklyn 3, Detroit 0, W: Jaime Garcia (3-0), L: Chase Anderson (1-1), HR: None

Garcia was on again, as he and Anderson tossed complete games. Brooklyn 2B Bobby Knoop singled home CF Kiddo Davis in the fourth, while RF Whitey Herzog singled home Davis again in the eighth, and Donlin scored on the same play on a throwing error by LF Lefty O'Doul. The Tigers went 1-2-3 in the ninth on flyballs, and the Superbas had evened the series at one.

Game 3: Brooklyn 5, Detroit 3, W: Mickey Lolich (1-1), L: Alex Fernandez (0-2), SV: Chad Kimsey (2), HR: None

The Tigers wasted no time, getting on the board in the first inning on an RBI double by Jerry Denny scoring Lefty O'Doul. They doubled the lead in the second inning on a triple by RF Dan Ford and a sac fly by CF Mitch Maier. The Superbas fought back to even the score in the fifth on back to back RBI singles from 3B Casey Blake, and DH Xavier Paul. A sac fly from Casey Blake in the 7th inning to go with RBI singles from Jamey Carroll and Mike Donlin made it 5-2 Brooklyn. Dan Ford doubled home Craig Biggio in the bottom of the 7th, but that was as close as the Tigers would get. Chad Kimsey recorded the final six outs for his second save of the postseason, and Mickey Lolich recorded the first postseason victory of his career.

Game 4: Detroit 6, Brooklyn 2, W: Eppa Rixey (2-1), L: Irv Young (1-1), HR: BRO: Xavier Paul (1), DET: Lefty O'Doul (4)

Detroit and Brooklyn matched each other with a run each over the first five innings. Lefty O'Doul opened the scoring for the Tigers with a first inning solo HR. The Superbas would match that in the fifth inning on an RBI single by Bobby Knoop. The Tigers blew the doors off this one with a five run sixth inning on C Craig Biggio's two-run single, and 2B Kevin Jordan's three-run double. Xavier Paul hit a solo shot in the top of the ninth, but by then the damage was done. Eppa Rixey went 8.1 IP to pick up the win, and Warren McLaughlin got the final two outs, as Detroit evened the series with one more game in Detroit to come.

Game 5: Detroit 5, Brooklyn 4 (10), W: Don Gullett (2-1), L: Chad Kimsey (0-1), HR: DET: Luis Olmo (2), Trevor Story 2 (4), Lefty O'Doul (5)

This game was the most compelling game of the series. 1) It was a re-match of Game 1 with Bumgarner going up against Blanding. 2) It was the pivotal Game 5 of a best of seven with the series tied at 2, 3) It was a back and forth affair right up until the end, 4) It was the first extra inning game of the series, and 5) it ended with a walkoff shot. You can't ask for much more. Luis Olmo and Trevor Story gave the Tigers the start they were looking for with back to back shots off Bumgarner to lead off the game in the bottom of the 1st. A two-run double by Mike Donlin in the third evened the score at two, but the Tigers would answer in the bottom half with a triple from Luis Olmo, and an RBI groundout by Trevor Story. The fireworks started that inning when 2B Kevin Jordan was tossed for arguing balls and strikes, and replaced by Domingo Ramos. Brooklyn answered with a run of their own in the top of the fourth on a triple by Whitey Herzog, and an RBI groundout by Kiddo Davis. Trevor belted another solo HR to restore Detroit's one run lead in the sixth, but once again Brooklyn would tie it up on Jamey Carroll's RBI single in the ninth. It was all for naught though as Lefty O'Doul went downtown on the first pitch he saw from Chad Kimsey in the bottom of the tenth.

Game 6: Detroit 3, Brooklyn 0, W: Chase Anderson (2-1), L: Jaime Garcia (3-1), HR: None

The sixth game was scoreless until the fifth inning, when back to back doubles by Dan Ford and 1B John Kruk produced a run for the Tigers. Jerry Denny drove a 2-run single in the eighth to push across 2B Domingo Ramos and Luis Olmo, and provide Chase Anderson with the necessary insurance to take it home. Anderson bent but did not break as he allowed 7 hits and 6 BB in the shutout. Brooklyn just could not push across any runs as they stranded 11 baserunners. In fact, they had the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, but couldn't get in the run(s) that they needed to keep the game going, as flied out to CF to end the game and the series.

The MVP of the series didn't even play in Game Six as a result of arguing balls and strikes in Game Five. 2B Kevin Jordan went 7 for 12 with 1 2B and 5 RBI to take the honours.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-22-2018 at 02:46 AM.