Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #21
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Any way to look back at what number a player wore in the past on your team to retire their number long after they're gone?
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
nightfly
Minors (Single A)

Is there any way to retire the historical numbers across the league without having to manually enter each one? I've done my franchise (Mets) and was going to work my way down the list. Arizona, cool, no sweat - Luis Gonzalez (20). Next, Atlanta... ye gods. And there are 28 teams after that.
nightfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #23
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Is there any way to retire the historical numbers across the league without having to manually enter each one? I've done my franchise (Mets) and was going to work my way down the list. Arizona, cool, no sweat - Luis Gonzalez (20). Next, Atlanta... ye gods. And there are 28 teams after that.
i started in alphabetical order. i am on Cardinals.
List of Major League Baseball retired numbers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #24
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
Any way to look back at what number a player wore in the past on your team to retire their number long after they're gone?
Not unless you ran an almanac in those years. The game really does not respect player numbers in that, let's say you demote your star player for some AAA R&R and a new player comes along. That player may take the star's number and when you bring the star back up, he will be assigned another one. That's why, when I get a feeling that I may retire somebody's number, I will make note of it during his career in my Manager Notes.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #25
SmoothGentleman
Major Leagues

Does the AI automatically retire numbers? I've yet to see it occur.
SmoothGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:01 AM   #26
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

Yes the AI will retire numbers for your team and for cpu teams as well.
Roy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #27
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Real teams are stopping retired numbers because they are running out of numbers for their active rosters.

Here's one situation:

Bears say Mike Ditka?s 89 will be the last number they retire | ProFootballTalk
Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #28
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasta la vista pelota View Post
Uniform numbers are completely cosmetic in this game, but I agree, they are important to many of us. I love OOTP15, but this was a step backwards.

I play in online leagues and before OOTP15 I would routinely go through my major and minor league system and change uniform numbers that weren't "right." That almost always involved changing single-digit pitcher numbers to two digits. If playing historical, you might use more single-digit numbers for position players, or even use the old Cubs and (I believe) Astros system of catchers 1-9, infielders 10-19, outfielders 20-29 and pitchers 30-49. You wouldn't normally see a second baseman in 1952 with number 85 unless it was in spring training.

Yes, it's that important to immersion to me.

Further, before OOTP15 I was able to change my online team uni numbers, but now changing them in the player editor doesn't "stick" in my online leagues. I guess editing is turned off in online mode, so I'm stuck with pitchers with single-digit numbers.

No, not a deal-breaker, but still annoying.
Apparently this was quietly fixed in one of the updates! I was able to get a number change to "stick" in my online league this week.

Thanks, Marcus and crew! It was far from a deal-breaker but is just another example of OOTP listening to its customers!
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #29
Number4
Major Leagues

As european, I feel that retiring numbers is a strange (at the least) american habit. Just retiring a number is a dubious honor, I think that assigning those numbers to great players would honor much better them that way.

How great would you feel as a up-and-coming lets say catcher, who would get the same number as the franchise legendary catcher?

Oh well, you can't, the number is rusting at the wall.

And then the leaguewide retirement of the 42... forcing the entire league to retire a number of a guy, just because he was the first player where a team finally decided to stop being racist? Ridiculous.

Last edited by Number4; 10-15-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #30
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
As european, I feel that retiring numbers is a strange (at the least) american habit. Just retiring a number is a dubious honor, I think that assigning those numbers to great players would honor much better them that way.

How great would you feel as a up-and-coming lets say catcher, who would get the same number as the franchise legendary catcher?

And then the leaguewide retirement of the 42... forcing the entire league to retire a number of a guy, just because he was the first player where a team finally decided to stop being racist? Ridiculous.
For me its even better when no one else can ever wear that # again.
72, 35, 3, 11 to name a few Sox retired #'s. Josh Paul wore 27 since Fisk was his favorite C and he played for the ChiSox.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #31
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Holy Smokes, guy! You're absolutely right. It's the same convention used in player history files. I just retired Al Bumbry's #10 and linked the retired number entry to his player profile.

Thanks. That's one of the reasons why I participate here and try to help out. I learn a lot myself that way!
you can do the same thing with a team name as well using the team ID if you want to reference other teams. im assuming same goes for managers.
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #32
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You're not American, so it's difficult to understand the significance of his accomplishment without having enough context to the history. From the outside, it would seem strange sure. And I'm mostly anti-retiring numbers where no one can wear them again for practical reasons, much less league retirements.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #33
Number4
Major Leagues

I understand the problems with segregation, I'm european, not stupid

However I do not feel that Robinson was the single deciding factor in ending segregation in baseball. He is just the first that succeeded.

And I feel it is put that way and this disrespects every other black player that either failed to make the jump before or became the second, third, etc. player to make the jump to the big leagues after him.

Lots of guys were as talented as him, but failed, as they came too early and baseball was not ready yet. They were the ones that showed some real talent in the negro leagues and had a big part in convincing the general population and managers that baseball needs black players. As I don't believe they were, as a group, less talented than the white big league players, they expierienced much worse racism than Robinson - who got to play, after all.

And after him, a lot of guys still couldn't play, as not many teams were as progressive as the Dodgers. So he didn't end segregation with "one swing of the bat", his first one, either.

He is still a great guy, Hall of Famer without the slightest doubts. But he is not the single greatest person who has ever played baseball, as his only leaguewide retired number suggests.

Even Babe Ruth hasn't got his number retired leaguewide...
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #34
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
People make a big deal about MLB allowing blacks to play. Read about the Mexican league the Caribbean leagues, they were allowing Black American players to play long before MLB did. Sorry just. Side note

Chargers= Despicable Traitors

Last edited by Padreman; 10-17-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #35
Super Utility Guy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

I have no problem with MLB retiring number 42 for all teams in honor of Jackie Robinson. My problem is that a few years after they did this, they decided to have one day where EVERYONE wears #42 again after it has been retired because it is a tribute to Jackie. I'm sorry, but it seems like symbolism over substance to me. If you want to honor Jackie, MLB, start putting more blacks and minorities in management and ownership positions and stop the good-ole-boy, cronyism hires of mediocre white guys.
Super Utility Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #36
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
When you link the player to the number does it write a bio or you have to write your own Bio?

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #37
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
When you link the player to the number does it write a bio or you have to write your own Bio?
Have to write your own unless it's auto retired.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #38
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Going to stay away from the Robinson discussion here, but the point of retiring numbers, and the honor that comes from it, lies in the idea that the player was so good, and so important to the team, that his uniform number has become instantly recognizable. You see a Yankees #3 jersey, you know it's Babe Ruth. Braves #44? Hank Aaron. A Red Sox #9 is obviously Ted Williams. Handing those numbers out to another guy down the road devalues the memory of those players because now you're associating that number with some other scrub, who, even if he becomes a fantastic player himself, likely will never ascend to the level of the all-time greats. It would be an immense honor for the new player, sure, but for the fans? The player in question was so memorable that no one could ever compare, and it would be bizarre to look out on the field and see someone else wearing his number.

My only issue with retiring numbers is that many teams do it too frequently. It should be reserved for an incredibly select few who have a profound, life-long impact on the team and the sport itself.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 02-16-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #39
Mike67
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Going to stay away from the Robinson discussion here, but the point of retiring numbers, and the honor that comes from it, lies in the idea that the player was so good, and so important to the team, that his uniform number has become instantly recognizable. You see a Yankees #3 jersey, you know it's Babe Ruth. Braves #44? Hank Aaron. A Red Sox #9 is obviously Ted Williams. Handing those numbers out to another guy down the road devalues the memory of those players because now you're associating that number with some other scrub, who, even if he becomes a fantastic player himself, likely will never ascend to the level of the all-time greats. It would be an immense honor for the new player, sure, but for the fans? The player in question was so memorable that no one could ever compare, and it would be bizarre to look out on the field and see someone else wearing his number.

My only issue with retiring numbers is that many teams do it too frequently. It should be reserved for an incredibly select few who have a profound, life-long impact on the team and the sport itself.
That's why I like what the Jays do and only retire the number of a player who enters the HOF as a member of the team. Mind you every time I see someone wear 37 I think of Dave Stieb.
Mike67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #40
Mike67
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
For me its even better when no one else can ever wear that # again.
72, 35, 3, 11 to name a few Sox retired #'s. Josh Paul wore 27 since Fisk was his favorite C and he played for the ChiSox.
The best is the team retired a number (3) when the player was still active. I remember when they unretired it briefly because Baines went back to the Sox..
Mike67 is offline   Reply With Quote