Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Exclamation An Update on OOTP 15's Current State

Hi, everyone. It's Monday, April 14 and we're four days away from releasing Out of the Park Baseball 15 to everyone who pre-ordered the game (and who will pre-order it through April 17) on Friday, April 18. OOTP's development always comes down to the wire every year -- as it does with most games released annually, I'm sure -- and this year wasn't much different.

Right now, most of the game is in great shape: bugs have been squashed; rosters for all leagues are solid; tons of featureas are complete and the game looks really good, thanks to the new interface. Our deepest appreciation goes to the Beta testers, the rosters team, and Daniela, our graphics designer, along with all of you who have offered input along the way.

However, there's one area of the game that we're still working on, and we've thought long and hard about it only to come to one conclusion: 3D mode won't be quite ready for prime time on OOTP's Opening Day. We've been feverishly working on it, and it's in really good shape in a lot of ways: You can import 3D models in various formats in the ballpark editor, activate 3D mode when playing out a game and view a 3D stadium that you can view through the defined cameras, and you can see the 3D ball flight and the player names and ratings on the field. The game ships with a generic fictional major league stadium and a generic fictional minor league park; those are ready to be used right away.

3D mode isn't perfect, though: The ball flight isn't always as realistic as it should be, and there are some other issues, including little things missing that we expected to be done for release initially (3D replay, special situations like ground rule doubles, weather effects etc.).

We never want any area of the game to be less than perfect, but unfortunately 3D will still be a work in progress upon release. We're trying to resolve the issues and improve the feature as fast as we can, but we won't be able to deal with everything by the 18th (or the 21st). We'd rather take this route than delay the release, especially since everything else in the game is ready.

However, as everyone around here knows, we always commit ourselves to improving our games through free updates after release, and OOTP 15 won't be an exception to that. We will continue to work hard on 3D mode after OOTP 15 ships and will put out updates as quickly as we can. We are dedicated to getting 3D mode into much better shape with every patch we release.

We have also hired a full-time employee, Jorin Guderian, the excellent 3D programmer who helped us get 3D mode off the ground last fall, before he had to leave to finish his studies. He is working on nothing but 3D mode and will continue in that capacity indefinitely, since our plan is to expand 3D in the game in future releases. As we've said since we published the OOTP 15 new features list in January, 3D mode in this game is simply the foundation for what will grow into a better and better experience in the coming years. Just like OOTP's basic gameplay has grown by leaps and bounds over the past several years, 3D in the game will too.

I know many of you on the Beta team have already met Jorin, but I wanted to also introduce him to the wider community. Jorin just finished his masters degree in specialized 3D development and earned a diploma, which is above a masters degree in Germany. He did so with straight As, so he's a really smart guy who knows what he's doing in this area. As soon as he was done with school and could work with us full-time, he joined our company.

We know some of you will be unhappy to hear this news, but we hope you will stick with us as we continue to update 3D mode. And as I said, everything else in the game is in great shape, so there are plenty of awesome new features to enjoy as you guide your baseball franchise to championship glory.

If 3D mode was a major reason why you pre-ordered the game and you decide you want to cancel that purchase, we understand and will honor that request. We hope you will jump back in when 3D is in an acceptable state for you. Please keep watching this forum. (In Forum Tools at the top, you can choose to subscribe to the forum, so you can find out as soon as we release updates.)

Thanks for reading this post. We're here, as always, to answer your questions.

OK, getting back to work now!
Markus

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 04-14-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
clwalcott
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Hi, everyone. It's Monday, April 14 and we're four days away from releasing Out of the Park Baseball 15 to everyone who pre-ordered the game (and who will pre-order it through April 17) on Friday, April 18. OOTP's development always comes down to the wire every year -- as it does with most games released annually, I'm sure -- and this year wasn't much different.

Right now, most of the game is in great shape: bugs have been squashed; rosters for all leagues, are solid; tons of featureas are complete and the game looks really good, thanks to the new interface. Our deepest appreciation goes to the Beta testers, the rosters team, and Daniela, our graphics designer, along with all of you who have offered input along the way.

However, there's one area of the game that we're still working on, and we've thought long and hard about it only to come to one conclusion: 3D mode won't be quite ready for prime time on OOTP's Opening Day. We've been feverishly working on it, and it's in really good shape in a lot of ways: You can import 3D models in various formats in the ballpark editor, activate 3D mode when playing out a game and view a 3D stadium that you can view through the defined cameras, and you can see the 3D ball flight and the player names and ratings on the field. The game ships with a generic fictional major league stadium and a generic fictional minor league park; those are ready to be used right away.

3D mode isn't perfect, though: The ball flight isn't always as realistic as it should be, and there are some other issues, including little things missing that we expected to be done for release initially (3D replay, special situations like ground rule doubles, weather effects etc.).

We never want any area of the game to be less than perfect, but unfortunately 3D will still be a work in progress upon release. We're trying to resolve the issues and improve the feature as fast as we can, but we won't be able to deal with everything by the 18th (or the 21st). We'd rather take this route than delay the release, especially since everything else in the game is ready.

However, as everyone around here knows, we always commit ourselves to improving our games through free updates after release, and OOTP 15 won't be an exception to that. We will continue to work hard on 3D mode after OOTP 15 ships and will put out updates as quickly as we can. We are dedicated to getting 3D mode into much better shape by the time summer starts in late June.

We have also hired a full-time employee, Jorin Guderian, the excellent 3D programmer who helped us get 3D mode off the ground last fall, before he had to leave to finish his studies. He is working on nothing but 3D mode and will continue in that capacity indefinitely, since our plan is to expand 3D in the game in future releases. As we've said since we published the OOTP 15 new features list in January, 3D mode in this game is simply the foundation for what will grow into a better and better experience in the coming years. Just like OOTP's basic gameplay has grown by leaps and bounds over the past several years, 3D in the game will too.

I know many of you on the Beta team have already met Jorin, but I wanted to also introduce him to the wider community. Jorin just finished his masters degree in specialized 3D development and earned a diploma, which is above a masters degree in Germany. He did so with straight As, so he's a really smart guy who knows what he's doing in this area. As soon as he was done with school and could work with us full-time, he joined our company.

We know many of you will be unhappy to hear this news, but we hope you will stick with us as we continue to update 3D mode. And as I said, everything else in the game is in great shape, so there are plenty of awesome new features to enjoy as you guide your baseball franchise to championship glory.

If 3D mode was a major reason why you pre-ordered the game and you decide you want to cancel that purchase, we understand and will honor that request. We hope you will jump back in when 3D is in an acceptable state for you. Please keep watching this forum. (In Forum Tools at the top, you can choose to subscribe to the forum, so you can find out as soon as we release updates.)

Thanks for reading this post. We're here, as always, to answer your questions.

OK, getting back to work now!
Markus
No biggie, was more of a interesting addition than anything I cared too deeply about and I suspect 95% of buyers feel the same
clwalcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
philthepat

Not a problem at all in my eyes. Such a huge new feature, its always felt like it will be a continuous work in progress for the next few years as things get added, improved and expanded.

Thank you and everyone who has worked on the game for all your hard work. Cant wait to play on Friday!
philthepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
tejdog1
All Star Starter

I came to this game for the GMing aspect of it, that's why I buy it year after year. As long as 3D mode doesn't alter that one iota... it's not anything I'll worry about.

I do wonder though, if down the road, you'll maybe want to think about porting the game to consoles, if the game can be played ala MLB The Show, etc... because the front office side of this game is the best in the business. If you get graphics up to speed, there's no reason you can't take on MLBTS and even beat them.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:30 AM   #5
HolyCow98
Hall Of Famer

No biggie for me...

I think its a neat optional feature but not necessary for me to enjoy the game. For me I envision it adding to the game similarly to what facegen added only with the parks. For those that play out their games it will certainly add to the immersion but its not something I would want to wait on for the game to be released. For people that are sim out their games, I don't see this impacting at all obviously.

Look forward to getting the new game.
HolyCow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:41 AM   #6
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

I play out all my teams' games but would much rather the game comes out on time and the 3D gets sorted out as we go along. I think it will add something to the immersion factor....but I spend far too much time playing OOTP as it is, so I probably don't need more encouragement!!!
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
ecd1973
Major Leagues

Much rather have the game on the 18th. I know from all previous versions that issues and bugs get fixed quickly through updates and have no doubt that the 3d feature will be up and running quickly. Looking forward to Friday.
ecd1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Caporegime
All Star Starter

No big deal, Markus. It must've been tough for you to come here and tell us this after all the build up, but I think I speak for many here in expressing my sincere gratitude to you for being the sort of game developer that actually takes pride in his work. Thanks for being a perfectionist That's what makes OOTP the great product it is.

Besides, with someone named "Guderian" working the problem, I'm sure we'll all be at the gates of Moscow in full 3D in no time (Oops! I think the wargamer in me just came out ).

Last edited by Caporegime; 04-14-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Besides, with someone named "Guderian" working the problem, I'm sure we'll all be at the gates of Moscow in full 3D in no time (Oops! The I think the wargamer just came out ).
Actually, General Guderian is a direct ancestor of Jorin
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Actually, General Guderian is a direct ancestor of Jorin
Wow! Great lineage. Achtung - 3D!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

I have a lifetime OOTP membership, I buy it every year regardless of what has been improved or new features added. I know I will always get my money's worth.

Honestly delaying the release for the 3D feature would have bothered me. I'm happy you made the right decision Markus.

And thank you and your team for making this great quality product available to us on a continuous basis.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

Markus, Andreas, Team

No worries here. It could come without 3D anything and I will still want it. The fact you guys care about us and listen to us and help us is enough to keep me going. Keep going strong!!

Senior Office Manager, 13th Circle of Heck.

Pineywoods OOTPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

THIS is how its done. I can't wait for Friday

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Markus, no worries. Just keep doing what you do best and that is making quality product. That's what keeps us wanting more
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

Far more important that out-of-the-box 3D perfection is good communication between developer and customers. I'm sure we all appreciate your update, Markus, and your willingness to work with customers who might be disappointed by this news.

For my part, I'm more than happy to stick with my pre-order. OOTP Developments has an unmatched post-release record; I can think of no other developer that gives its customers so many free, substantive updates. When you say 3D will improve, I know we can count on it. Good enough for me.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #16
dabrickashaw24
Bat Boy

So I am just a little confused, when the game is released, will there be the 3D ball flight just with the bugs you have stated? Or will it not be in there at all.

Either way no big deal, I play just for the GM mode anyway. But I am just wondering
dabrickashaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

3D is not necessary for me, but thanks for keeping us updated.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrickashaw24 View Post
So I am just a little confused, when the game is released, will there be the 3D ball flight just with the bugs you have stated? Or will it not be in there at all.

Either way no big deal, I play just for the GM mode anyway. But I am just wondering
It'll be in there, just not perfect.
Hats off to all of you for your positive comments and understanding.

Last edited by Bigrod; 04-14-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #19
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Besides, with someone named "Guderian" working the problem, I'm sure we'll all be at the gates of Moscow in full 3D in no time (Oops! I think the wargamer in me just came out ).

Good to know there's at least one other OOTPer around here who's as obsessed with WWII as he is with baseball... As soon as I read "Jorin Guderian" I thought, "hmm, any relation?" The fact that he is related just made my day.
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #20
catcherjul
Major Leagues

No big deal, this game is so awsome that no mather what, I know its worth to get the game. Looking forward to see what your new 3D programmer guy can do in the future. OOTP si always pushing the limits and that's why I'll always pay to have this game.

Great work guys and thank you for all your effort you put to release a better game year after year.
catcherjul is offline   Reply With Quote