Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #21
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals, unless I decide to create an Indianapolis expansion team.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #22
haveband
All Star Reserve

It's time for Dodgers baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or like the Wolf, if I wanna completely frustrate myself, Houston. Although, since I do attend about 55 to 60 Lancaster Jethawks games a year, I do know many players past and present from those teams. Hoping Correa and Appel end up here this year.
haveband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #23
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

I always take my Cardinals, but to add to the level of difficulty, I trade away the aging vets for young players at the beginning of the season and try to stay competitive all season. It's hard, especially when OOTP's ratings haven't caught up to MLB performances yet.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #24
BostonRS14
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyball View Post
I'm going to take on the challenge of the Phillies, mostly because of Grant Brisbee's must-read "Baseball Teams and the Windows that Define Them". His article is a great guideline for this discussion.
I'm missing the "must-read" aspect of that article. SB Nation just hurts my head with whatever it is that they are trying to pass as journalism/commentary.

If you play with a house rule that you can't cheat the system by trading off Howard for prospects, then the Phillies are a good long build situation.

Can you keep the market interested and the owner's happy balancing the short recovery and long build like the Sox did?
BostonRS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #25
moneyball
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRS14 View Post
I'm missing the "must-read" aspect of that article. SB Nation just hurts my head with whatever it is that they are trying to pass as journalism/commentary.

If you play with a house rule that you can't cheat the system by trading off Howard for prospects, then the Phillies are a good long build situation.

Can you keep the market interested and the owner's happy balancing the short recovery and long build like the Sox did?
Why "can't" the Phillies trade off Howard? Basically the Sox did trade "Howard" (Gonzalez/Crawford/Beckett) for Webster and De La Rosa. As a Sox fan, it was tough to see Gonzalez go. But wonder boy built us a hell of a farm system and Ben made all the right moves last offseason. There is no reason that Philly can't follow the Boston model. Or at least start to get on that path.
"It's about getting things down to one number. Using the stats the way we read them, we'll find value in players that no one else can see. People are overlooked for a variety of biased reasons and perceived flaws. Age, appearance, personality. Bill James and mathematics cut straight through that. Billy, of the 20,000 notable players for us to consider, I believe that there is a championship team of twenty-five people that we can afford, because everyone else in baseball undervalues them."
moneyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #26
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

As I don't 'support' a team, anyone recommend a team to root for? I have no idea who I'll 'manage' in 15. Might have a go with the Mets, their ratings are true to life, so it will take even a OOTP God 10-15 years to get them to a .500 record
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #27
clwalcott
Minors (Triple A)

In my experience, players anything like Howard, in fact far less "albatrossy" than him are literally impossible to deal. Teams simply won't accept him as part of any deal in OOTP.

Which is how it should be.
clwalcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #28
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clwalcott View Post
In my experience, players anything like Howard, in fact far less "albatrossy" than him are literally impossible to deal. Teams simply won't accept him as part of any deal in OOTP.

Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Prince Fielder would like a word with you.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #29
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

Vernon Wells... twice
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #30
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Cubs and Astros are good for Dynasty players, but for day to day gaming (playing out like the OP said), I'd go with the Rays. They've got the talent in the rotation, and Friedman is always digging up nuggets in the pen on the field, that look like losers on paper, but come up big when it counts. I really think Longoria and Myers could be perennial all stars and future hall of famers if Maddon didn't over-manage.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:23 AM   #31
clwalcott
Minors (Triple A)

haha, fair enough, but I'm quite happy for OOTP to play this conservatively and rationally...Gonzalez and Fielder is a bit harsh, both were just a year removed from "superstar" but Wells and to a lesser extent Crawford I'll concede.

Glad that OOTP essentially vetoes these kinds of deals in my experience.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #32
JungleJim99
Minors (Single A)

I think that I will start a couple of seasons:

For 2014 - The Diamondbacks. They have some good trade possibilities and I can only assume that my amazing managing/GMing, will help them overcome their annual .500 performance

I have always thought about starting a Golden Age game (Athletics?, Giants?, Phillies?) and OOTPs switch to 3D stadiums might finally give me that push (I love the pictures of the old parks - 'Hit this sign and Abe Feldman will give you a suit absolutely free'). Since the OOTP community is so amazing when it comes to mods, I can hardly wait to see to see the stadium recreations just waiting to help me bring that era alive!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #33
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

I'll run the Mariners, either into the ground, or into Baseball Immortality (are they the same?)

Challenge? Yep, but with some crafty trading, I'm sure to get the guys I want back in the fold. Since Jesus Montero will now be a AAA 1B, not a ML C, I don't have to worry about him. Overweight and undersmart.

Also, it'll be fun seeing how true Cano's WAR projections turn out to be over the next couple of seasons. He's a splash signing, but the way I run things, I bring up and trade for young talent more than I go for the glamour.

Lastly, I really want to see if Stephen Pryor can make it all the way back from that right lat muscle tear he suffered last year. What a devastating blow that was. With Pryor IN the pen, the M's would have probably scratched out 2-3 more wins last year due to releasing pressure on Wilhelmsen and Farquhar.

Oh yeah, there's also the AL Cy Young runner up Iwakuma...
goalieump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #34
BMD
All Star Reserve

What about the Pirates?

After finally breaking their historic losing streak and making it into the playoffs, they are no sure thing to repeat. They could easily slip back into their losing ways even though they are returning the reigning NL MVP and NL homerun co-leader. Burnett is gone. Will Liriano follow up his outstanding year by doing his usual Jekyll and Hyde routine? Can the bullpen duplicate their amazing year last year? Who will play 1b vs righties? But on the other hand, there is a lot of young talent still improving. And best of all, after some additional seasoning at AAA (IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SUPER 2 STATUS ), Taillon will be joining Cole in the rotation and Polanco will give the Bucs one of the most athletic young outfields in the league.

But the best part about playing with the Pirates is after every win you get to shout "RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!" at the screen (until your wife makes you stop because the kids are trying to sleep )
BMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #35
struggles_mightily
Minors (Triple A)

Re: the albatross contract discussion -- the problem is that OOTP doesn't let teams pay for part of the contract as an aspect of the deal. The Sox are still paying part of Gonzalez's deal, and Detroit will pay fully a quarter of what's left on Fielder's contract. Moving albatrosses is really enabled by: i) teams subsidising them, and ii) the Dodgers (not sure how well OOTP simulates the latter either).

My usual choice to play with is the Red Sox, since they're my team. But I played with them in OOTP13/14, starting in 2012 and finishing up in 2015, playing out every game, so I think I think I'm a little burned out on that game even though it's been about six months since I played it. Thinking about simming to 2015 and starting an expansion team, but those rebuilds (or 'builds' I guess in this case) can be brutal if you prefer to play each game.
struggles_mightily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #36
adaman77
Minors (Single A)

My favorite part of OOTP is typically the offseason, and to a lesser extent the trading deadline. I love wheeling and dealing, and it's even more fun now that I've established some house rules to keep me from fleecing the AI. So, the Astros and the Cubs have been my favorite teams to play in OOTP14. I love simming through the first season pretty quickly and then just going nuts making deals and signing guys. Then within two or three years I'm ready to go big, and I pull the trigger, trading off most of my remaining/redundant prospects and signing some win-now free agents.

It actually fails about as often as it succeeds, I think because I get greedy and go too far. I feel like I'm getting the better of the AI, and then suddenly Jose Altuve has a 5-win season for the Braves and my newly-acquired Julio Teheran has a 4.50 ERA when he's not injured.

I'll probably start with my beloved Nationals, and then move on to Houston and Chicago.
adaman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #37
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Another team I like as a sleeper...although I sort of formulated that opinion when I assumed they'd OBVIOUSLY sign Drew...I still have no idea why not? Theories?
Drew wants a 3 year contract with an opt out after 1 year. I'd be mad if the Mets gave him that sort of stupid deal.

Mets offered 1/9.5, Bor@$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $aid no$$$$$$$$
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #38
clwalcott
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleJim99 View Post
I think that I will start a couple of seasons:

For 2014 - The Diamondbacks. They have some good trade possibilities and I can only assume that my amazing managing/GMing, will help them overcome their annual .500 performance
You can't possibly be worse than Towers
Old 03-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #39
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Reds and Hamilton is going to steal EVERY time he gets on base, could get 150
MarkInCincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #40
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I'm going to take the Astros. I'm more of a Rangers fan in reality, but the challenge intrigues me.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote