Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #61
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Steam - If I want to play offline, I have to go through 6 steps.

Buying direct - if I want to play offline I have to go through....... 1 step. Click the OOTP icon and start playing.

Tough choice there.
Apples and Oranges again.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 AM   #62
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Apples and Oranges again.
No Wolf, it's not apples and oranges.

I'm comparing playing offline with Steam vs playing offline without Steam. It's a fair comparison.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #63
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No Wolf, it's not apples and oranges.

I'm comparing playing offline with Steam vs playing offline without Steam. It's a fair comparison.
Horse manure. You're comparing a single game install versus a multipurpose software delivery system. "Look, it's easier to start my car than a helicopter! My car must be better in every way!" Pure horse manure. Steam delivers so much more than a single game install that it's totally apples and oranges.

By the way, I ran those six steps. Took under a minute.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #64
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

The thing you are forgetting or ignoring Wolf, is that not everyone who plays OOTP has any interest in a multi-gaming platform.

That is liking saying a 10-seat passenger van is clearly BETTER than a two-seat roadster... even if you are a single person with no reason to need all those extra seats.

Life doesn't work that way.

Once again, I have not seen ANYONE say that Steam is a bad thing. People have just said it is not for them.

You just seem to want to 'prove' them wrong, which is just ridiculous.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #65
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
The thing you are forgetting or ignoring Wolf, is that not everyone who plays OOTP has any interest in a multi-gaming platform.

That is liking saying a 10-seat passenger van is clearly BETTER than a two-seat roadster... even if you are a single person with no reason to need all those extra seats.

Life doesn't work that way.

Once again, I have not seen ANYONE say that Steam is a bad thing. People have just said it is not for them.

You just seem to want to 'prove' them wrong, which is just ridiculous.
Right. I have nothing against Steam and it sounds great for those who play numerous different games on their computer. The only game I play is OOTP with an occasional round of Tiger Woods golf on my PS3. And I have only one computer, so I only need one license. So I really have no use for Steam, but I can see why others would use it and like it.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #66
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Someone could show wolf a red crayon and he'd argue it isn't red.

All good, lol
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #67
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Someone could show wolf a red crayon and he'd argue it isn't red.

All good, lol
Wrong again. I'm the one who is interested in truth and not in petty insults.

And your comparison was totally apples and oranges.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #68
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
Once again, I have not seen ANYONE say that Steam is a bad thing.
Post #7 and #9, this thread. Numerous posts in other threads.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #69
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Right. I have nothing against Steam and it sounds great for those who play numerous different games on their computer. The only game I play is OOTP with an occasional round of Tiger Woods golf on my PS3. And I have only one computer, so I only need one license. So I really have no use for Steam, but I can see why others would use it and like it.
Well, that's one of you. Well put.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #70
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I'm glad people have spoken both the pros and the cons of using Steam. For now, I think I will continue to buy directly from OOTP, but it's nice to know there are other options and I really like the sound of that Steam Key thingy. I'm excited about the football announcement, so maybe when I get up to playing a whole 2 games, Steam might be the way to go.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #71
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Personally, I'm glad people have spoken both the pros and the cons of using Steam. For now, I think I will continue to buy directly from OOTP, but it's nice to know there are other options and I really like the sound of that Steam Key thingy. I'm excited about the football announcement, so maybe when I get up to playing a whole 2 games, Steam might be the way to go.

Sir, you are a legend! Don't let anyone change you.
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #72
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Why I am a huge Steam supporter

Short Answer: It, or something like it, is the future of gaming

Long Answer: The evolution of content distribution is a function of bandwidth.

Prior to the proliferation of high-speed Internet, content was distributed as follows:

Movies: overpriced DVDs, either purchased or rented from something like Blockbuster

Music: overpriced CDs, purchased from a music store

Books: purchased from a bookstore

Games: CDs, purchased from a game store

After high-speed Internet?

Blockbuster and its equivalents have seen their business model destroyed by the Internet distribution model deployed by Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Even Redbox, who pioneered cheap movie DVD rentals, has begun moving to online sales and distribution.

Music stores that made a living selling overpriced CDs, where customers paid a premium for a collection of mediocre songs so they could get the one or two songs they actually wanted, are another dying breed. People buy and receive their music off the Internet now via online sales and distribution.

Bookstores are currently moving to online book sales and distribution. Barnes and Noble are leading the way for the brick and mortar crowd, and Amazon, the world's largest retailer, is trying hard to dominate the online book market.

Game stores that make a living selling boxed games are another dying breed. More and more people buy and receive their games off the Internet now via online sales and distribution. Good Old Games, GamersGate, GreenMan Gaming, Humble Bundle and Bundlestars are all selling and distributing games digitally.

And then there's Steam. Steam advertises, sells, distributes, and patches games quickly and easily online. It now sells and delivers content to over 70 million customers in many nations (about 40% each of Steam's users come from the U.S. and the E.U., but Brazil and Russia are gaining on them). Steam provides mod workshops, builds game communities and supports multiplayer play as much as possible. And it and Valve, its parent company, are very well thought of by gamers; The Guardian (UK) wrote that "Microsoft is something of a corporate hate figure among PC gamers, whereas Valve is regarded as somewhat akin to the second coming."

Steam is becoming a marketplace where anyone can pitch games (via Greenlight), get them approved and suddenly be visible to over 70 million users. A small company can have a large piece of the very small pie they can get via self-marketing, or they can have that AND have a shot at as big of a piece of a monstrous pie they can get via marketing on Steam.

Which are they going to choose?

It's a no-brainer.

Steam, or something like it, is the future of gaming.

Last edited by The Wolf; 01-31-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #73
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why I am a huge Steam supporter

Short Answer: It, or something like it, is the future of gaming

Long Answer: The evolution of content distribution is a function of bandwidth.

Prior to the proliferation of high-speed Internet, content was distributed as follows:

Movies: overpriced DVDs, either purchased or rented from something like
Blockbuster

Music: overpriced CDs, purchased from a music store

Books: purchased from a bookstore

Games: CDs, purchased from a game store

After high-speed Internet?

Blockbuster and its equivalents have seen their business model destroyed by the Internet distribution model deployed by Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Even Redbox, who pioneered cheap movie DVD rentals, has begun moving to online sales and distribution.

Music stores that made a living selling overpriced CDs, where customers paid a premium for a collection of mediocre songs so they could get the one or two songs they actually wanted, are another dying breed. People buy and receive their music off the Internet now via online sales and distribution.

Bookstores are currently moving to online book sales and distribution. Barnes and Noble are leading the way for the brick and mortar crowd, and Amazon, the world's largest retailer, is trying hard to dominate the online book market.

Game stores that make a living selling boxed games are another dying breed. More and more people buy and receive their music off the Internet now via online sales and distribution. Good Old Games, GamersGate, GreenMan Gaming, Humble Bundle and Bundlestars are all selling and distributing games digitally.

And then there's Steam. Steam advertises, sells, distributes, and patches games quickly and easily online. It now sells and delivers content to over 70 million customers in many nations (about 40% each of Steam's users come from the U.S. and the E.U., but Brazil and Russia are gaining on them). Steam provides mod workshops, builds game communities and supports multiplayer play as much as possible. \ And it and Valve, its parent company, are very well thought of by gamers; The Guardian (UK) wrote that "Microsoft is something of a corporate hate figure among PC gamers, whereas Valve is regarded as somewhat akin to the second coming."

Steam is becoming a marketplace where anyone can pitch games (via Greenlight), get them approved and suddenly be visible to over 70 million users. A small company can have a large piece of the very small pie they can get via self-marketing, or they can have that AND have a shot as big of a piece of a monstrous pie they can get via marketing on Steam.

Which are they going to choose?

It's a no-brainer.

Steam, or something like it, is the future of gaming.
I'm usually not one to mourn progress, but nothing makes me sadder than seeing books slowly disappear. But, I'm probably part of the problem. I'm a library user. Still love the feel of having a book in my hands. I carry a book with me almost everywhere.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #74
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

While I still think you are in an argument that nobody else is having (as in, there is a difference between saying that Steam isn't for me and saying Steam is bad), that last post was very well put.

I switched from buying physical music to buying digital music some time ago. I eliminated cable tv in exchange for getting my tv via internet a little while ago. I have NOT switched to digital books, but I can see it coming in the future.

The difference between those two things and computer gaming (of which I do very, very little, I will admit readily - OOTP and Poker... my other gaming is the face-to-face variety. - Latest favorites, Smash-Up and Tzolkin...), is that my BIGGEST reason for changing from CDs and when I WILL change from books is physical space. They just take up a lot of real estate in my life.

OOTP takes up none, no matter where I choose to buy it.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #75
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Rusty, I own a Kindle that fits in my coat pocket, weighs next to nothing, and carries a very large library. Plane ride? Kindle. Stuck at an airport or a doctor's office? Kindle. Taking a taxi or a subway? Kindle.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #76
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm usually not one to mourn progress, but nothing makes me sadder than seeing books slowly disappear. But, I'm probably part of the problem. I'm a library user. Still love the feel of having a book in my hands. I carry a book with me almost everywhere.
And I carry well over 400 with me almost everywhere. The future is digital, and, surprise, the future is here.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:41 PM   #77
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
And I carry well over 400 with me almost everywhere. The future is digital, and, surprise, the future is here.
but from what i read Steam still forces me to have a hard drive to save my games, which means from what i understand that i won't be able to play as i travel as the weight is too much on my back. or maybe i again misunderstand the service.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #78
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
When it comes to studying for school, I agree. Staring at a digital screen for long periods of time strains your eyes and burns them out.
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #79
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Well guys, We tried. Unfortunately we don't have Wolfys seal of approval. So steam exclusive it is. Stick a fork in it, it's done.
Attached Images
Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #80
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
but from what i read Steam still forces me to have a hard drive to save my games, which means from what i understand that i won't be able to play as i travel as the weight is too much on my back. or maybe i again misunderstand the service.
Well, yes and no. Steam allows you to install your games onto any computer, no matter where you are. If those games have cloud support (and many do), you can also access your saved games from anywhere.

So yes, you need a hard drive. But no, you don't technically need to carry it around with you wherever you are.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote